Chippy Hell, suggestions for strong smelling plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ChrisMyatt, May 6, 2024.

1. ChrisMyatt

ChrisMyatt Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am unfortunately enough living next to a chippy. I spent last summer relandscaping our back yard into something enjoyable to sit in.

As summer is slowly coming upon us. Our dream of sitting outside is being slightly hindered by the smell of said chippy.

We have been down the council route with them for noise pollution and the landlord of the property has changed the whole extractor on the back, which to be fair to him has lessened the impact quite a bit to inside the property. But as this is now more powerful the smells can be on the bad side.

But this i believe is now a tenant issue (I kind of believe it's due to infrequent oil changes, its rare that I see oil being delivered / oil changes outside in their yard).

Anyway, I am really hoping that I can add some nice scents to the garden to mask number 32 and 49 on the menu.

I have areas of full shade and full sun so if plant suggestions can be noted with (shade) or (full sun) that would be great. Overwhelm me with smells, I want to be given a air pollution order for beautiful smelling plants.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +792
    In full sun I think Curry plant (Helichrysum) is fairly strong smelling and honey suckle is another one that has a good fragrance. Often smells are strongest when flowers are blooming so the fragrant plants would be less effective when not in flower so probably worth picking plants that flower when you would like to be out in the garden. Sarcococca (sweet box) has got a very nice smell when it blooms but this tends to be in winter. Maybe Philadelphus, Syringa, Buddlia and Choisya might be worth considering.

Happy gardening!

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,542
    My faves are Philadelphus, Choisya, roses, Daphne, Eleagnus, Viburnum carlcephalum and Osmanthus burkwoodii. Annuals: Nicotiana, Stocks (including night scented), Mirabilis jalapa and Heliotrope. Climbers...roses (again), Trachelospermum, Honeysuckle and Clematis montana. If you can track down seed or cuttings of Cestrum nocturnum (Lady of the Night) it's well named :) A tender shrub, it can be overwintered if frost-free, like Brugmansias and Gardenias.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +679
      Jasmine officionale

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,186
      You could also try scented candles as nothing will be in flower and heavily perfumed all the way thru the season of warm evenings so you'd need a lot of plants.

Night-scented stock might work and is cheap to sow and grow.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ChrisMyatt

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you guys for all your ideas :) I have plenty to go off here! I'm going to delve into these names some more and get a plan together. Good shout on candles that would definitely help soften the blow!

• Like Like x 1
        • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,753
          Nothing is going to mask the smell. It's like spraying air freshener in the loo. The smell is still there, but it's just added to by another smell.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you're looking for.

If it's feasible, there is another angle that might be helpful. There was a small study some years ago looking at plants for pollution control in a residential neighbourhood. Everyone else had looked at the ability of plants to absorb pollution. This slightly different study looked at the ability of plants to physically trap particles. They found that certain trees with hairy leaves were most effective. If you consider what the smell is, in the case of the chippy, it's going to be airborne molecules of cooking oil. It will stick to anything it drifts into contact with. It sounds like right now that's your nostrils. If you can plant up a good coverage of leafy barrier between you and the chippy, it might physically trap some of the smell before it gets to you.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
            +733
            What about the citronella candles etc we used these to keep biters at bay in the evenings. They lasted months on end . And very strong scented. We bought ours at Home bargains..

Also used ground coffee beans are said to absorb the bad smells . Ask at a coffee shop if they can spare you some it's also supposed to be good for the garden to deter snails and slugs

I've some seed of night scented stock and for daytime Brompton stocks if your intrested pm me your address

Last edited: May 6, 2024
          • ChrisMyatt

Ratings:
            +1
            Thanks clueless, yeah I believe it probably is a lost cause but it's a nice thing to try tackle. I suppose I'm trying to lessen it rather than get rid of it.

My thoughts where to kind of cocoon the areas where we can sit in the garden with plants so a leafy barrier at actually be possible and a great approach. I think i will use a combination of plants, leafy barriers and candles and it should hopefully do a good job of making it a more pleasant experience when open.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +1,953
            If you fancy growing your own -sweet peas will help for summer. You'd probably still get some in GCs or diy stores etc too. Ideal for pots near, or in, your sitting area, and they don't need huge amounts of sun either.
            If you can create a more enclosed area by making a physical screen - doesn't have to be fancy, I think that will make a big difference. Scented climbers on it will be good for when you're sitting/dining. A very basic 'pergola' of posts and roofing battens will do the job.
            Then - the other chrubs that people have already mentioned will give a slight barrier, further out and around the general area, and hopefully help a good bit right through the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,065
              I don't think any plant smells strongly enough to mask cooking smells, but I hope you find something that helps. It's like barbeques, or curry being cooked with the windows open (someone round here was doing that yesterday).

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
              Ratings:
              +1,755
              I read the title and instantly thought 'wood mill'! love the smell of cedar and cherry.....alas, not.
              I love fish and chips, but the smell becomes quite pungent quite quickly.
              Growing lavender, rosemary, fennel, lemon balm and mint near pathways or seating areas will help with the occasional brush past or leaf squeeze, but you can't produce enough alternative smells to mask your problem

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,186
              Fish and chips smell great but not so much if you're not hungry.

The smell of the hot oil they are cooked in is powerful, heavy and lingers and makes you feel greasy yourself - lived next door to one in my flat-sharing youf but they had a high exhaust flue so not a constant smell. Anyway, that's why I suggested alternative perfume sources such as candles as an instant and topical relief.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +1,953
              The proximity of the kitchen will be a big factor, so that has to be considered. Nothing will make much if a difference, in plant terms, if you're really close.