Lithodora diffusa help

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Mattyp, May 6, 2024.

1. Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

Does anyone have Lithodora diffusa experience? I've attached a photo of it from last year and it's very green and flowering although it was a tangled mess. This year so far there is very little green growth and what growth there is is on very long leggy stems as you can see. It's looks particularly bad now as I untangled it all to try to see what was going on at the base. Just don't know what to do with it if anything. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Mrs Hillard

Mrs Hillard Gardener

Ratings:
    +461
    These do have a habit of turning brown/black in the middle unfortunately, after a few years, with green from the middle to the tips. At which point I found it was best to remove and get a new one.
    Yours seems to have turned this way rather suddenly. as I found it to be a gradual process.

I wouldn't find that one worth persevering with, personally.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
      +243
      Can you take cuttings? Such a pretty plant

• Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Yes i had read this, but also that just over winter they can go like this and they recover but perhaps this one had a particularly bad winter, i'll maybe leave it a couple more weeks, I've left it opened up as you see in the picture which it may or may not appreciate.. I had wondered if it was lacking light and that's why its stems were so long.

Yes i could attempt to take a cutting, i must admit it would be my first attempt at this but intrigued to try. The flowers are an amazing colour.

Thanks for the help