1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What ladders for cutting high hedges?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by richard6298, Jan 27, 2012.

1. richard6298

richard6298 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I'm a gardening beginner.

I need to buy a pair of ladders to cut a privet hedge with a pair of hedge trimmers. The height of the top cut will be 2.4m. When my hedge trimmers are at waist height, they are 1.2m above my feet. That means I need to be standing 1.2m above the ground to be cutting the top of the hedge at 2.4m.

The ladder will stand on a lawn with no border for flowers.

Can anyone please recommend the type of ladders I probably ought to be considering?

I'm hoping to buy something in a January sale. Thanks. Rich

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +711
    Hello Rich, and welcome to the GC Forum.

You can be sure to get lots of help and advice from our very experienced, knowledgeable and enthusiastic members.

Now, for your question regarding ladders. The Japanese Niwaki Tripod Ladders have a good reputation for hedge work as you can actually place the single leg within the hedge, so you can stand close to the work area.
    I have no experience of these ladders myself, but no doubt one of the oher members will have, and maybe other suggestions.

In the meantime, here is a link to Niwaki website: Niwaki - Japanese Tripod Ladders, Fine Pruning Tools & Other Great Stuff from Japan

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,600
  4. landimad

landimad Odd job man

recovering medical enigma
    Ratings:
    +546
  5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,600
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +9,163

You need the next size up costing £99.99 to get a 1.2m high working platform Multi Purpose Ladders - Multi Purpose Ladder - Ladders

Homebase do this type which will cover a variety of heights up to 1.56m (not just one) for £124.99 but there's 20% off this weekend both instore & online using code DISC20 or printing a voucher Homebase 20% off event 27 to 29th Jan 2012, getting it down to £99.99 - the same price as the other type in the link above:

5-Way Combination Ladder and Platform - 1.92m from Homebase.co.uk

[​IMG]

I don't know if the stays on that model can be used underneath the platform so they're not so snaggy, but ones with them shown underneath the platform are available from Wilkos (also ideal for decorating staircases!) with a max platform height of 1.20m http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/abru-l...4wCRdEW5N0Kdtiw8Ynb4Pn4bKcsvp3FS NGG2k6xiZA==

[​IMG]

Just thought it these would give you some more choices to consider.

7. watergarden

watergarden Found a new avatar

Ratings:
    +535
    Hi richard6298, welcome to the forum.
    I would suggest something that has a platform to stand on is better and safer, although it will cost more, you should not be able to fall off as you can a ladder, have you considered hiring a small tower? that way its safe, you can do the job (maybe even lower the top?) and you don't have to worry about storing it, and we can see you post another day.

8. richard6298

Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, I think I need a platform.

Multi Purpose Ladders - Multi Purpose Ladder - Ladders

Good. Really good - so versatile, but I'm thinking - it's only got one set height (1.2m) when used as a platform.

Abru 5 Way Combination Ladder & Platform | Multi Purpose Ladders | Ladder | Abru Ladders from Wilkinson Plus

Good. And possibly better, because you can have varying platform heights (I think).

5-Way Combination Ladder and Platform - 1.92m from Homebase.co.uk

Same as above, but cheaper when in Homebase sale on.

In other words I'd go for the first one in the list, but it's only got a single platform height.

That's how I see things.

9. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    OMG dangerous territory here
    You really need someone to foot the ladder for your safety

The legs may sink into the lawn causing the ladder to fall over with you on the top with a running hedge trimmer

As you can tell I know not a lot about it, but I have put ladders up to do the rones and found one side sinking into the base causing an unsafe tilt

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
  10. landimad

landimad Odd job man

recovering medical enigma
    Ratings:
    +546
    wrong sort of pipes blowing eh jack:loll:

• Like Like x 1
  11. richard6298

Ratings:
    +3
    I may build my own platform from scaffolding.

Might be best.

Although scaffolding tube is probably overkill.

12. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +1,902
    Stilts! I was thinking of building my own and cutting my privet with them. The other half didn't like this idea so built me a trestle to stand on instead.

13. watergarden

watergarden Found a new avatar

Ratings:
    +535
    Most folk think of [​IMG] when you say stilts, but believe it or not, you can get "extension legs" commonly called stilts such as [​IMG] They really are like extension legs, complete with ankle joint (That's part of the reason they work) Plasterers use them as they can still walk around, and reach the ceiling to plaster it or put plasterboard up, but at around £215, a bit expensive for gardening.

A ladder may seem a good idea, and it is, until you have an accident, then its too late. Ladders are now seen as a means of access, not a work platform. Its not the height that kills you, its the landing. Falls from only 3 feet have been known to be fatal.

Gardeners Corner is dependent on Donation to keep running, if you enjoy using Gardeners Corner, please consider donating to help us with our operating costs.