Growing Schizanthus - Poor Man's Orchid Plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, May 7, 2024.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,332
    Hi Everyone

shhh it hasn't rained for nearly 24 hours lol

First time growing .. I sowed in jiffy pots had about 90% germination all roughly about 2/3 inches high and I have pinched the tops out to make a bushier plant in the greenhouse at the moment ...

Can these be grown outside in the UK ... I am in South Wales in between Cardiff and Swansea ... garden sunny and shade during the day they will be planted into large terracotta pots.

Spruce

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +222
    Yes
    I grow them from seed for a window box and they provide a lovely display over Summer.
    By around July they start to look a bit bedraggled so around mid-May I sow some more which will be ready to replace the bedraggled ones.
    I planted my seedlings into the window box a couple of days ago - so hoping no more torrential rain for a while!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
      +264
      I sow them in autumn for spring pot plants though they need a lot of support. I started using them as cut flowers but saw a picture of them in the US in hanging baskets where they looked lovely so I might try doing that.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Valleysgirl

Valleysgirl Gardener

Retired Librarian
        Ratings:
        +116
        We’ve grown them from seed 2022 started them March and had really good germination. They like you were dotted around in Hanging baskets as fillers and Pots for the whole of the summer so colourful and I live a bit further up around Abergavenny .

• Useful Useful x 1