Growing wild flowers in a container

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Mattyp, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I recently sowed some wild flower seeds into a couple of containers. I tried to randomly cast them but as you can see there are some clumps. To be honest it was an experiment and didn't expect them to germinate in multi-p compost. Would it be best to try to space them out now although I imagine they are delicate or let them grow more and then try to do it when they're more robust or do I not worry about it and leave them?

Also are they at risk from frost? And should I take them in if I know it's likely to freeze, bit let likely now it's April

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +681
    You're going to have to pick your germinated seeds out at random before you pot them up. That's part of the fun if you like surprises.
    You can't keep them all.
    Pick the doomed seedlings out now before the roots get entangled

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    It largely depends on what they are, but most wildflowers are perfectly hardy. However, when directly sown at this time of year, they aren't acclimatised in the way they would be when germinating naturally over autumn/winter.
    You can leave them until they're bigger if you want, but it's worth removing some so that they get a chance to grow reasonably well. Transplanting is best done when there are proper leaves showing - 2 pairs is ideal, and they'll need a reasonable amount of roots in order to thrive. You'll need a little fork or similar to prise them out for replanting, but it can be better to prick out small clumps to pot on for a little while, especially if your soil is heavier. In lighter, drier conditions you can probably plant out sooner.
    If you just tuck them up against a wall or under a bench/table or similar, that will be enough to protect them, rather than bringing them inside. It always dpeends on where you're located though - a heavy frost, or cold spell in the north east of Scotland is quite different from a sheltered town setting :smile:

4. Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the comments. I guess at this stage I don't know which seedlings are which so I can't pick out and distribute them for colour etc but I wanted it to look pretty natural as a wildflowers should so this probably doesn't matter. Ok I think I will try and split them up a bit now so not crowded. I'm in central Scotland btw (did you hop across from the doomed GW forum Fairygirl? I think you helped me out there too! I did see an article maybe gardeners world about growing wild flowers in pots and they seem to take some out if overcrowded but there they look quite developed is all I can say, more so than my seedlings anyway. I don't seem to be getting email notifications of replies maybe due to the server issue so sorry if I'm delayed replying.

5. fairygirl

fairygirl Head Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    Hi @Mattyp - yes, I think many of us came here. It's been great, and everyone has been very welcoming. I'd actually joined a while ago, but hadn't posted very often.
    I rarely sow anything direct, and with wildflowers, it's easier to sow into small trays, and then just leave them until they take [or not!] and then plant out as clumps. Foxgloves are one of the exceptions as they take easily and you get so many seeds.

You may find some seeds/plants just won't work because of the conditions, and you really have to try and replicate what happens in nature. I do feel this whole 'no mow May' thing, which led to the increase in wildflower planting, was gimmicky, and there's probably loads of people who've been disappointed with the result, because it always comes down to your location and conditions.
    I also think if you're going to have wildflowers, you need to devote an area to it and have that as a permanent site in your garden. Doesn't matter what size it is - a small strip at one end, or a bed in the middle of a lawn etc, but it isn't necessarily an easy option either.
    Just my opinion of course. :)

6. Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Funny you should say that as I have dedicated a few patches of border to wildflowers this year. One patch appears to have taken quickly, well it's germinated at least whereas the other patch did not. Slightly different aspect and potentially drainage rates. I had some seeds left so thought I'd put some in containers as well but I probably didn't think enough about how I should do it. Will have to see what comes up. It's my first experience of growing from seed and it's good fun whatever happens. Thanks for the tips

7. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,017
    Thank you @Mattyp...you've just reminded me that's something I want to do when it's the right time..I remember folk having ago about Monty Don and his large garden saying many haven't got the space for all that and were rather peturbed about it :rolleyespink: but anyone with or without a garden can make a mini meadow in a container or even a jewel garden in a pot .

• Like Like x 1
    • Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
      +243
      I have an enclosed area about 6foot square where my tortoise used to live but he has now decided he won’t be restricted so it was going spare. The soil is very poor so I am trying a tiny meadow, getting my 9 year old insect loving granddaughter involved in sowing seeds etc. so far it looks ok a lot of tiny green shoots and I have sown some seeds in pots to fill in bare patches. Also put in a little bee fountain for the insects to use.

• On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +800
      @Debs64 Brilliant about your granddaughter. Long may her interest last. Our sons were introduced to wildlife when we took them in harness/back packs (if you know what I mean) on walks with the local wildlife trust. We thought that as they grew older that would be it. Thankfully elder son has continued to be interested and when he bought his first home he made a "shelter" for the bins and the roof was covered with wildflowers. Much admired by their neighbours.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Escarpment

Escarpment Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,014
        I did a small patch last year, mostly phacelia and cornflowers with a few poached egg plants, camomile and poppies. The poached egg plants have seeded themselves and I've dug up a few good size plants this year and moved them elsewhere in the garden.
        This is how it looked in the middle of July. I shall be planting similar patches this year, maybe next weekend if the weather warms as promised.
        2023-07-15_14-13-13.jpg

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Mattyp

Mattyp Gardener

Ratings:
          +10
          I took some wildflower seedlings from my overcrowded container and planted them in a border but the slugs moved in immediately and desimated them. How do any small leafy green plants survive with these guys around. Granted I had no anti slug defences down but you live and learn.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
          Ratings:
          +681
          Going by what self-seeds in my containers verbena bon, aquilegia, purple toadflax and ivy leafed toadflax should be easy options.

• Like Like x 1