Help! Frost has killed my dahlias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gilla.Walmsley, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Gilla.Walmsley

Gilla.Walmsley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    An unexpected sub zero temperature overnight in Essex has killed (?) my dahlias which had been hardened off outside, both new tubers and old ones from last year. Is there anything I can do to help these? Will they be complete gon-ers? This is only my second year growing dahlias so a bit clueless!" 20240426_134758.jpg 20240426_134742.jpg 20240426_134728.jpg
    20240426_134802.jpg

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,708
    They should re shoot when ALL chance of frosts have gone

• Agree Agree x 1
    • amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Gardener

Ratings:
      +452
      The weather this year has been a total arse...hope they resprout for you.

• Gilla.Walmsley

Gilla.Walmsley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      It really has been bad! Normally last chance of frost here is mid April - I have been keeping an eye on things and moving some stuff inside initially when it was around 3 or 4 overnight, but it wasn't forecast to be sub zero last night and I got caught out! A lot of my seedlings have frost damage too :(

I really hope they do reshoot, thank you @flounder

• Emerion

Emerion Gardener

Ratings:
      +42
      They probably aren’t dead, and will just have been knocked back a bit. Important to avoid it happening again this season.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,411
      Cover with fleece or move into a cloche/greenhouse over-night if frost is forecast again. I'm brining in all my tender plants indoors currently when frost is due, a pain but it has to be done. We get frosts here in Surrey till mid May some years so not that unusual.

• Ezzie

Ezzie Gardener

I want to be a nurseryman when I grow up.
      Ratings:
      +66
      My rough rule of thumb re putting dahlias outside is this. If it’s good enough for tomato plants to go out, it’s okay for the dahlias too. Unless you had a very deep frost, I suspect the cold will have only nipped the green growth and the tubers will be ok. Move them to a greenhouse/somewhere sheltered and fleece if necessary. They will most likely re-sprout in due course. I take cutttings from my dahlias and for each sprout I take off, 4 more will eventually grow.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +1,680
      I agree with @Ezzie . Dahlias aren't hardy, so they need the same treatment as any other half hardy plant. The tomato comparison is a good one.
      Mine really have to be overwintered in the house. The shed isn't watertight, and it's the wet cold that's a real killer for them. Growhouse is nowhere near warm enough either, even with the mild winters we've been getting here recently.
      A couple of mine are sprouting, so they're in the growhouse, inside another clear box. I move them around according to how they're doing.
      I think those will be ok, as the others have said, once the temps rise again. I agree that it'll only be the main new growth that's damaged. If it was persistently wet and cold that would be more harmful.