Help, trying to identify what is affecting my tomatoes.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sloma, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Sloma

Sloma Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I cut off affected leaves from two of my green moldovan beefstake potato-leaved tomatoes. Affected leavers dried out on the edges (crispy to touch) and had also dried spots here and there in the center.

These leaves were significantly curling downwards too. Seedling were sitting in my greenhouse on the shelf during the day (temps ranging from 13C to 27C on sunny day) on cold night (below 10C) I brought them inside. They are the only potato leaved tomatoes I have, no other tomato seedlings were affected by this. I bottom water every few days when pots are light, hence the tray in which these pots are sitting. Stems are not affected.

Anyone knows what is it? Is it something that will go away while days are getting drier and warmer?

Tray in which they are in:
    IMG20240421194004.jpg
    Closer look:
    IMG20240421194008.jpg
    Affected leaves - closer look:
    IMG20240424173712.jpg IMG20240424173812.jpg IMG20240424173826.jpg
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Escarpment

Escarpment Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +734
    Mine have done exactly the same this week - like yours they are potato-leaved. I noticed it after I'd put them outside during the day to get some sun and a bit of breeze. They don't seem to have deteriorated any further since bringing them back in so I think maybe the wind was too strong and/or cold for them?

I am keeping them firmly inside for the rest of the month!

3. Sloma

Sloma Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply, I am still not sure. My tomatoes are sitting in the greenhouse since the beginning of April, I doubt its sun scald, but it could be the reaction to cold, maybe. I am not sure. I wonder if potato-leaved tomatoes are more prone to cold-damage than regular tomatoes. Interesting. Anyway, this damage seems to travel upwards.