Issue with apple tree

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David Reid, May 7, 2024.

1. David Reid

David Reid Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning
    New to the forum so high all and thanks in advance.
    I have an apple tree in my garden that seems to have an issue.
    This is the third summer here, first year lots of apples, and made lots of cider.
    Had a lot of apples with holes / bug damage which I cut out while making the cider.
    Second year no apples, fingers crossed for this year.

The issue is with the leaves, brown spots visible on top and bottom of the foliage.
    Had this every year.

Can anyone identify and offer advice on this, and also reducing bug damage without harmful pesticides. 20240507_114933.jpg 20240507_114933.jpg 20240507_114913.jpg 20240507_114908.jpg 20240507_114905.jpg 20240507_114852.jpg

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +223
    It could be apple scab, but have a look at the examples on the RHS Site to confirm first.
    Apple scab and pear scab / RHS Gardening

If it is that, then you can use a copper-based fungicide to treat it.
    The general term for this fungicide is Bordeaux Mixture - recipes are on the web if you want to make it yourself, or you can buy a prepared fungicide that contains copper.
    It's not something I've ever used (or not since I was about 10 yrs old, and that was a LONG time ago), so don't know how effective it is.