What do I plant in this big gap

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by latimer, Apr 21, 2024.

1. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    IMG_0334.jpeg Hi all

So I have just dug out all the Perovskia I had planted in this bed. I found it wasn’t really giving me much colour or density and made such a late showing that I was going to move it elsewhere.

What do I now plant in its place? When I originally planted this bed it was 100% perennials and I realise now that was a mistake as I have no structure or colour early in the year. So I’m thinking probably a shrub? Last year I planted a Cotinus coggygria Golden Lady but it’s still very small (it’s just coming into leaf on the left middle of the bed). I’m thinking a euphorbia maybe? Or something with a nice big interesting leaf, like a fig (which I have elsewhere) or a hydrangea (which I don’t think will like this full sun position).

Thoughts?

2. Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
    Ratings:
    +940
    Elaeagnus ebbingei the variegated form, is evergreen and might contrast nicely with the perennials.

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    The only thing you'll need to bear in mind is - any shrub, whether deciduous or evergreen, will create shade around it, so you may have to adjust any perennials that won't like that.
    Having said that - if your soil isn't alkaline, the smaller Japanese azaleas will cope with sun, and Pieris will too, as long as the soil is decent enough. The variegated ones will add some interest and contrast. Exochorda is quite early -it's deciduous, and some Deutzias might be ok too, also deciduous.
    Most shrubs are quite slow growing though, so - you'll have to be patient. Anything quicker will need a bit of pruning, so it's always a question of that balance. You could always add some smaller, evergreen early flowering perennials like Iberis though, as well as one of the smaller Euphorbias, and they can be moved or cut back if required.
    The Cotinus will also get quite large in a few years. :smile:

4. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    @Punkdoc thanks, will take a look.

@fairygirl Thanks for the detailed response. I'll take a look at some of those. As for the Cotinus, it says 2m height which I think I'm happy with! Until, I'm not, of course :biggrin:

After posting my original question I did pop down to the garden centre, what about a Philadelphus Snowbelle?

In the meantime, I went overboard buying seeds. I'm thinking of trying to fill the area with cosmos this year. Would you all suggest sowing direct?

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,486
    I think its more a case of what shrubs or plants you personally like, we all have our likes and dislikes, me I'd put something like an Hibiscus there but that would be mid to late summer flowering, I just plant plants that I like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,082
      A large ornamental grass like Stipa gigantea, Cortaderia Pumila or one of the large Panicums would give you structure and interest in that space, retaining interest over winter too. That’s only if you like them! I have been disappointed with the green Cotinus, it goes a sickly yellow in heat and sun and needs constant watering. Cotinus Grace is a much nicer shrub. If you like Euphorbias, E. characias wulfenii is a good reliable variety.

• Like Like x 2
      • latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        @Plantminded I’ve already got a couple of grasses in that bed so not sure if add another but that Euphorbia is definitely one I’ve looked at before.

I’m also thinking I should add a tree or maybe even 2. A multi stem perhaps.

@pete i like architectural plants, I like structure, big leaves, shades of green. Flowers are lowest on my list in some ways and the flowers I like tend to be small and numerous rather than big and showy.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,082
          If you’re thinking about a multi stemmed tree @latimer, consider one with interesting bark, like Prunus serrula or one with good autumn colour like Amelanchier. Phormiums are another option for structure and interest. They are evergreen and look good with grasses and Euphorbia. For big leaves, plant a Catalpa and pollard it once it’s well established. I’ve pollarded mine for the first time this year and am waiting to see the result!

• latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
          +52
          @Plantminded would you believe those were exactly the 2 trees we were looking at in my parents garden today, though my parent’s Prunus is not a multi stem. I love the Indian Bean Tree too, always have but I’m rarified of putting a tree in my garden that has the potential to reach 12 meters!

Do you have any pictures of your pollarded tree?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,486
          I'd suggest the yellow leaved Catalpa opposed to the usual green leaved one.
          Mine makes lots of stems all at least 10 ft or more each year after pollarding, the yellow one is less vigorous.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
            +52
            Thanks @pete I’ll take a look at that one too.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +1,575
            Re your Philadelphus, there are plenty of varieties, and many will take plenty of sun, but make sure you actually have room for trees and larger shrubs so that you aren't constantly pruning to make them fit. It rarely looks right, and you lose the real 'specimen' effect.

Philadelphus aren't usually that early though, so you may still want something smaller and earlier.
            I was looking for something yesterday and also wondered if Euonymus alatus would suit as a small tree. The main effect of it is autumn, due to the dazzling colour, but if you had something early, nearer the house, then it would be very smart for that later impact.

• latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
            +52
            Thanks @fairygirl

I agree about the whole pruning thing, not i only because it doesn’t look right but my work means there will be plenty of times the garden will get neglected.

I think I need more evergreens. I planted a three pittosporum balls in one of the beds but I think they’re a bit too far back and are a bit lost. I could probably add a couple more larger ones, waist high, in this bed to try to add a little more continuity. And I definitely need another tree as I’m lacking any sort of height towards the front of the garden IMG_0344.jpeg

• fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +1,575
            It's always about juggling @latimer - especially when you're busy. :smile:
            When I was working full time, had a home to run, daughters to look after, and my other hobby to indulge as well, the garden had to be easy to maintain. It was only when I retired that I realised how low maintenance it was!
            Perennials are far more work than shrubs/trees, so a good mix is the best solution, and you can extend the season with bulbs etc mixed in. I used large containers of early, and spring bulbs, plus young shrubs, near this house, so that you had an instant fix when looking out at the greyness early in the year and hoping spring would arrive. It wasn't a garden as such - just slabs and gravel, so it helped enormously until I could get changes in place, and I still do that :smile:

• latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
            +52
            You’re right about containers @fairygirl i should use them near the house more than I do. Those big beautiful containers are just so expensive though!! :sad:

I also got my mix of plants so wrong at the start. I really was taken in by that perennial movement, lots of lush planting and grasses but I really didn’t get enough shrubs and trees for structure early on and now I’m regretting it.

Still, never too late I suppose, just got to keep in editing and correcting those mistakes :)