1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

Are they Indian chillies? :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

Nice one- wish our winters were as mild as yours. I would need an ice pick to do any outdoor gardening!
    Nice one- wish our winters were as mild as yours. I would need an ice pick to do any outdoor gardening!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Scrungee
    Informative x 3

Tatties 2017

I've also heard that Scottish tatties are in short supply due to being sold abroad, not sure either rumour is true. Skea, who are not far from me reckon they are increasing production this year,...
    I've also heard that Scottish tatties are in short supply due to being sold abroad, not sure either rumour is true. Skea, who are not far from me reckon they are increasing production this year, though Sarpo varieties are their main stay.
    I've also heard that Scottish tatties are in short supply due to being sold abroad, not sure either rumour is true. Skea, who are not far from me reckon they are increasing production this year, though Sarpo varieties are their main stay.
    I've also heard that Scottish tatties are in short supply due to being sold abroad, not sure either rumour is true. Skea, who are not far from me reckon they are increasing production this year,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

Mine are in and growing, but I've gone for Red Pearl from Dobies, not sure if they are big ones or not.
    Mine are in and growing, but I've gone for Red Pearl from Dobies, not sure if they are big ones or not.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

It was seeing a "Pumpkin boat race" on you tube a few years back that first got me interested in growing giants. To enter you had to grow a 500lb+ pumpkin and row it across the lake.So I wanted to...
    It was seeing a "Pumpkin boat race" on you tube a few years back that first got me interested in growing giants. To enter you had to grow a 500lb+ pumpkin and row it across the lake.So I wanted to have a go at that, and it set my 500lb target that I would like to grow. I cannot imagine that the...
    It was seeing a "Pumpkin boat race" on you tube a few years back that first got me interested in growing giants. To enter you had to grow a 500lb+ pumpkin and row it across the lake.So I wanted to have a go at that, and it set my 500lb target...
    It was seeing a "Pumpkin boat race" on you tube a few years back that first got me interested in growing giants. To enter you had to grow a 500lb+ pumpkin and row it across the lake.So I wanted to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Like x 3

2017 Tomato Growing

I plan on doing sowings through march but my itchy fingers will probably get the better of me :redface: Will keep those varieties I mentioned above for the end of march though for def, don't want to chance...
    I plan on doing sowings through march but my itchy fingers will probably get the better of me :redface: Will keep those varieties I mentioned above for the end of march though for def, don't want to chance them as I've only got 2 seeds of each.. will be growing 2/3in a walk-in blowaway rest outside
    I plan on doing sowings through march but my itchy fingers will probably get the better of me :redface: Will keep those varieties I mentioned above for the end of march though for def, don't want to chance them as I've only got 2 seeds of each.. will be...
    I plan on doing sowings through march but my itchy fingers will probably get the better of me :redface: Will keep those varieties I mentioned above for the end of march though for def, don't want to chance...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

It's all about perception @Linz ... to me, even mini sunflowers look like giants :whistle: :heehee:
    It's all about perception @Linz ... to me, even mini sunflowers look like giants :whistle: :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN AND CARVING CHALLENGE - 2017

The new thread for 2017:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only...
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only suitable for saucing as not very tasty 5m tape measure
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only suitable for saucing as not very tasty 5m tape...
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only...
    IMG_6201.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6428 Tomato grafted onto Aubergine roots.JPG IMG_5956.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. silu

Parsnips starting to regrow

Thanks Yikes there is quite a fair bit involved with the making of Parsnip wine. I didn't have or even knew what a fermenting vessel is!:). I have been doing some homewrk on them and Campden...
    Thanks Yikes there is quite a fair bit involved with the making of Parsnip wine. I didn't have or even knew what a fermenting vessel is!:). I have been doing some homewrk on them and Campden tablets/pectin destroying enzyme, this is all completely new to me. I have found a sort of healthfood...
    Thanks Yikes there is quite a fair bit involved with the making of Parsnip wine. I didn't have or even knew what a fermenting vessel is!:). I have been doing some homewrk on them and Campden tablets/pectin destroying enzyme, this is all...
    Thanks Yikes there is quite a fair bit involved with the making of Parsnip wine. I didn't have or even knew what a fermenting vessel is!:). I have been doing some homewrk on them and Campden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. silu

Over winter chilli

Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to...
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to prune them today and useful to see that you can be quite severe.
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to prune them today and useful to see that you can...
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 4

2016 Tomato Growing

Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :) Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the...
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :) Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the windowcill :phew:
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :) Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the windowcill :phew:
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :) Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the...
    DSCN2472.JPG DSCN2471.JPG Ailsa craig.JPG Beefmaster.JPG Screenshot_2016-01-09-01-42-49.png image.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ricky101

Tomato Growing Hydrophonically..?

..or maybe a bit of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers... Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. clueless1

Cress

Here's some info Garden cress - Wikipedia
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul Blackburn

When to grow broad beans

@Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures. It will also...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures. It will also depend on where you are in the British Isles as to what you can get started early because if you are...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures. It will also depend on where you are in the British Isles as to...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures. It will also...
    IMG_0509.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. silu

Garlic not storing very well

Wild garlic is very tasty,can't find any near me.Wild garlic leaves with mince, make delicious meatballs
    Wild garlic is very tasty,can't find any near me.Wild garlic leaves with mince, make delicious meatballs
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Linz

Top varieties for fruit/veg

crimson crush and sun gold have been mentioned by a friend I made on FB he's sent me a few types of seed but I'm not sure what though, turning up tomorrow :fingers crossed: will let you know what I get
    crimson crush and sun gold have been mentioned by a friend I made on FB he's sent me a few types of seed but I'm not sure what though, turning up tomorrow :fingers crossed: will let you know what I get
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ChilliPepper

Broad Beans - plant now?

@pete I found Aquadulce to be good for flavour, I pick the beans fairly young, if they get too big the skin gets tough.
    @pete I found Aquadulce to be good for flavour, I pick the beans fairly young, if they get too big the skin gets tough.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Paul Blackburn

What to do with Strawberries

With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put the runners in their place. I never use any kind of fertiliser, ever. On the odd occasion I have...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put the runners in their place. I never use any kind...
    With the ones I have, (Senga) it depends. Normally, I wont do anything at all apart from remove the runners in Spring. Every third year, I'll collect the runners, remove the old plants, then put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Paul in Bedfordshire

My Tomato is Frostproof

Well thats doing better than the one I wrapped in bubble wrap inside the greenhouse :)
    Well thats doing better than the one I wrapped in bubble wrap inside the greenhouse :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Sheal
    Funny x 4

Carrots

Ahhh, poor goose @silu :doh::)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Zigs
    Like x 5

2016 Growing Thread

Shelled the seed crops of the Bridgwater beans Best pic my annoyingly out of focus camera would take :doh: Also shelled the tongue of fire beans, but the camera wasn't having any of that :sad:
    Shelled the seed crops of the Bridgwater beans Best pic my annoyingly out of focus camera would take :doh: Also shelled the tongue of fire beans, but the camera wasn't having any of that :sad:
    DSCI0296.JPG DSCI0294.JPG untitled.png DSCI0354.JPG a.png ant.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. HsuH

Growing Sweet Potatoes

Sounds like a good idea @HsuH I will do the same. Where do you get yours from? Marshalls?
    Sounds like a good idea @HsuH I will do the same. Where do you get yours from? Marshalls?
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Steve R
    Like x 4

Pumpkin growing and carving challenge 2016

Record-breaking pumpkin sets sail at Hyde Hall Stuart Woodward BBC Essex Posted at12:43 Not only does a 95 stone (600kg) pumpkin float, it's pretty nippy in the water too. It's pictured...
    Record-breaking pumpkin sets sail at Hyde Hall Stuart Woodward BBC Essex Posted at12:43 Not only does a 95 stone (600kg) pumpkin float, it's pretty nippy in the water too. It's pictured closest as it takes part in the "world's first pumpkin boat race" at Hyde Hall near Chelmsford.
    Record-breaking pumpkin sets sail at Hyde Hall Stuart Woodward BBC Essex Posted at12:43 Not only does a 95 stone (600kg) pumpkin float, it's pretty nippy in the water too. It's pictured closest as it takes part in the "world's first pumpkin...
    Record-breaking pumpkin sets sail at Hyde Hall Stuart Woodward BBC Essex Posted at12:43 Not only does a 95 stone (600kg) pumpkin float, it's pretty nippy in the water too. It's pictured...
    image.jpeg pumpkin 2016.jpg WP_20160606_001.jpg WP_20160606_002.jpg 1465835542691.jpg 20160613_180830.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. fat controller
    Like x 3

Tatties

Of the five failed grafted TomTatoes, three were planted in the plot pictured above. So, two remaining, and I also had two pot bound runner beans that needed to be transplanted asap. Yep, you've...
    Of the five failed grafted TomTatoes, three were planted in the plot pictured above. So, two remaining, and I also had two pot bound runner beans that needed to be transplanted asap. Yep, you've guessed it... Conventional wisdom says that a plant can only be grafted to another plant belonging...
    Of the five failed grafted TomTatoes, three were planted in the plot pictured above. So, two remaining, and I also had two pot bound runner beans that needed to be transplanted asap. Yep, you've guessed it... Conventional wisdom says that a...
    Of the five failed grafted TomTatoes, three were planted in the plot pictured above. So, two remaining, and I also had two pot bound runner beans that needed to be transplanted asap. Yep, you've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. "M"

What can I plant in November?

No worries, oh, if you can't find Mizuna seed, they often hide it in mixed salad seed packets. Looks like this
    No worries, oh, if you can't find Mizuna seed, they often hide it in mixed salad seed packets. Looks like this
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. JWK

Tomato Test Experiences 2016

Cherokee Purple; 10. 5. 10 I canned and dehydrated them, the taste is so good, this was my 4th year to grow them.
    Cherokee Purple; 10. 5. 10 I canned and dehydrated them, the taste is so good, this was my 4th year to grow them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Paul Blackburn

Rhubarb Care

Spread it round if it's rotted down, otherwise leave it in a heap till the heat has gone out of it :)
    Spread it round if it's rotted down, otherwise leave it in a heap till the heat has gone out of it :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. shiney

Runner Beans - An Observation

I've kept Bridgwater beans to plant for next year. I only had a few plants this year, that I didn't sow, because the @Zigs fairy magically put them there :rolleyespink: :heehee: They'll have their own section of the...
    I've kept Bridgwater beans to plant for next year. I only had a few plants this year, that I didn't sow, because the @Zigs fairy magically put them there :rolleyespink: :heehee: They'll have their own section of the ShineyFrame next year. :)
    I've kept Bridgwater beans to plant for next year. I only had a few plants this year, that I didn't sow, because the @Zigs fairy magically put them there :rolleyespink: :heehee: They'll have their own section of the ShineyFrame next year. :)
    I've kept Bridgwater beans to plant for next year. I only had a few plants this year, that I didn't sow, because the @Zigs fairy magically put them there :rolleyespink: :heehee: They'll have their own section of the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options