1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

CANNA - 2017

Thanks for the kind offer @longk but I have one similar (might be the same in fact) already
    Thanks for the kind offer @longk but I have one similar (might be the same in fact) already
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017

The new thread for 2017:snorky:
    upload_2017-1-9_21-17-50.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Wayne
    Like x 4

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

?? Never was fluent in Gibberish :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. catztail

brugmansia question

I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS
    Like x 10

Cannas - 10 things you didn't know

Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley
    Like x 7

How to Germinate a Mango...!

This one will be pampered this winter Sal!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Wayne
    Like x 6

Alan's Brugmansia Hurstwood Elinor

It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Hurstwood brugs.

Sphaerocarpium Brugmansia

Hurstwood Bow Wayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one. Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood Bow Wayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one. Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is that they have the hardiness of the Arborea. Hope...
    Hurstwood Bow Wayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one. Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is...
    Hurstwood Bow Wayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one. Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood Bryony  Quality (Large).JPG insertimage.gif attach.gif Hurstwood Elinor Black BG with star (Large).jpg Hurstwood Bow Black BG PS (Large).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. longk

Brugmansia sanguinea

Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome. Alan Hurstwood Brugmansia
    Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome. Alan Hurstwood Brugmansia
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2015

I hoped it had, my two large ones haven't flowered yet, just the smaller one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2016

As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. mr c

overgrown lime tree

That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner and there'll be no looking back!
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. longk
    Like x 6

Passiflora and other "exotic" climbers

Sal, Good to see you back! How have you been? Lovely Passifloras
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. miraflores

tropical

If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like? They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like? They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats the problem. Don't feed it until you can establish...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like? They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like? They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 3

Bananas

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, left 2 leaves and a roller, left it tipped over a bucket in the shed for a few days for excess moisture to drain and then popped in a pot with dry compost and back...
    Did mine a couple of weeks ago, left 2 leaves and a roller, left it tipped over a bucket in the shed for a few days for excess moisture to drain and then popped in a pot with dry compost and back in the shed :)
    Did mine a couple of weeks ago, left 2 leaves and a roller, left it tipped over a bucket in the shed for a few days for excess moisture to drain and then popped in a pot with dry compost and back in the shed :)
    Did mine a couple of weeks ago, left 2 leaves and a roller, left it tipped over a bucket in the shed for a few days for excess moisture to drain and then popped in a pot with dry compost and back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. joolz68
    Like x 7

Canna 2016

Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    aug 11th (1).JPG 20160424-P4240021.jpg canna.jpg DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. pete

Palms

Good to hear I've planted a few this year too, a trachycarpus princeps hybrid & fortunei, chamaerops humilis. All seem to have transplanted well
    Good to hear I've planted a few this year too, a trachycarpus princeps hybrid & fortunei, chamaerops humilis. All seem to have transplanted well
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 11

The Jungle Garden - Nick Wilson - Leeds

I don't know if this is too late for this thread or if you have already found the answer but it's a trachycarpus fortuneii. Lovely palms and in my experience survive pretty well over winter (in my...
    I don't know if this is too late for this thread or if you have already found the answer but it's a trachycarpus fortuneii. Lovely palms and in my experience survive pretty well over winter (in my area anyway)
    I don't know if this is too late for this thread or if you have already found the answer but it's a trachycarpus fortuneii. Lovely palms and in my experience survive pretty well over winter (in my area anyway)
    I don't know if this is too late for this thread or if you have already found the answer but it's a trachycarpus fortuneii. Lovely palms and in my experience survive pretty well over winter (in my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. youngalistai

are salvias under tropicals?

It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Tara100

A couple of banana plant queries :)

@Tara100 Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    @Tara100 Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. longk
    Like x 3

Puya

Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. John Harruison
    Like x 3

End of season garden update.

Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or even hot days on a few occasions. Far too much whingeing about the weather, it is what it is. We'd...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or even hot days on a few occasions. Far too much...
    Its not been a great summer, but its certainly not been horrendous and certainly nothing unusual. Just normal summer conditions we'd expect in the UK, some cool periods, some wet and some warm or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Bilbo675
    Like x 4

Cannas 2015

Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. TMAK

Starting a tropical looking garden

Out of curiosity what colour would ye suggest to paint the fence ? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Out of curiosity what colour would ye suggest to paint the fence ? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Paul Blackburn

How to prune a Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' Potato Plant

Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third. Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third. Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft growth to tidy it up a bit. Problem with that is, of course, you would lose out on their beautiful...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third. Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft growth to tidy it up a bit. Problem with that is,...
    Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third. Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. kr236rk

Begonia advice please :)

The fibrous rooted ones tend to be treated as annuals though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. PeterS
    Like x 9

The flowers of Madeira.

Hi PeterS - interesting that Strelitzia likes humidity. I kept one for more than 30 years that I'd grown from seed as a teenager. It sat in the nearly frost free outer bit of a greenhouse with an...
    Hi PeterS - interesting that Strelitzia likes humidity. I kept one for more than 30 years that I'd grown from seed as a teenager. It sat in the nearly frost free outer bit of a greenhouse with an inner section which had some heat. Totally lacking attention - too damp in winter, far too dry in...
    Hi PeterS - interesting that Strelitzia likes humidity. I kept one for more than 30 years that I'd grown from seed as a teenager. It sat in the nearly frost free outer bit of a greenhouse with an inner section which had some heat. Totally lacking...
    Hi PeterS - interesting that Strelitzia likes humidity. I kept one for more than 30 years that I'd grown from seed as a teenager. It sat in the nearly frost free outer bit of a greenhouse with an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. PeterS
    Like x 3

Trailing plants

Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one. Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one. Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that I have been overwatering things over winter. I try not to water too much, but I recently read a...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one. Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that I have been overwatering things over winter. I...
    Thanks Anthony - I don't know that one. Strongy, I have had a Columnea and Aeschynanthus, but I killed both of them (actually I still have one sick Aeschynanthus just hanging on. I suspect that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. PeterS

Air plants

That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup: Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must...
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup: Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must make it pretty hit or miss growing them in the UK, unless you spend a lot of time misting them.
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup: Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must make it pretty hit or miss growing them in the UK,...
    That's an amazing picture of T. usneoides. I also saw them in Orlando some years ago on trees round a swimming pool. :thumbsup: Very interesting about how sensitive they are to humidity levels. It must...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options