1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote that a land owner owns their property 'From the heavens above to the earth beneath'. This got...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote that a land owner owns their property 'From the...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

Hello everyone how are you all? Just a quick update of things not much happening at the moment other than clearing the back bit but I can no get to the 2nd half of the compost binThanks...
    Hello everyone how are you all? Just a quick update of things not much happening at the moment other than clearing the back bit but I can no get to the 2nd half of the compost binThanks for looking
    Hello everyone how are you all? Just a quick update of things not much happening at the moment other than clearing the back bit but I can no get to the 2nd half of the compost binThanks for looking
    Hello everyone how are you all? Just a quick update of things not much happening at the moment other than clearing the back bit but I can no get to the 2nd half of the compost binThanks...
    IMG_4842.JPG IMG_4843.JPG IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4884.JPG IMG_4897.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Webmaster
    Funny x 4

A song for you all :D

Or at least Eurovision ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

Planted autumn onions and garlic. Spaced them closer together than before as I think I wasted space last time.. we'll see.Put peas in plot 2 two weeks ago, they've poked through.Tom's are...
    Planted autumn onions and garlic. Spaced them closer together than before as I think I wasted space last time.. we'll see.Put peas in plot 2 two weeks ago, they've poked through.Tom's are mostly blighted still picking though, got rid of heartbreaker vita and minibel. Pepper has caught it...
    Planted autumn onions and garlic. Spaced them closer together than before as I think I wasted space last time.. we'll see.Put peas in plot 2 two weeks ago, they've poked through.Tom's are mostly blighted still picking though, got rid of...
    Planted autumn onions and garlic. Spaced them closer together than before as I think I wasted space last time.. we'll see.Put peas in plot 2 two weeks ago, they've poked through.Tom's are...
    20170206_123358.jpg 20170206_123412.jpg 20170206_123421.jpg 20170206_123458.jpg 20170206_123504.jpg 20170206_132038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Notty1975

Heating my greenhouse

It is a bit small but am currently trying it with a rad in my shed and the compost is running around 65c it has been for 2 weeks now it's doing a good job I think I may have to put fresh compost...
    It is a bit small but am currently trying it with a rad in my shed and the compost is running around 65c it has been for 2 weeks now it's doing a good job I think I may have to put fresh compost in more frequently that's all which is not a bad thing plenty of good compost plus free heating win win
    It is a bit small but am currently trying it with a rad in my shed and the compost is running around 65c it has been for 2 weeks now it's doing a good job I think I may have to put fresh compost in more frequently that's all which is not a bad...
    It is a bit small but am currently trying it with a rad in my shed and the compost is running around 65c it has been for 2 weeks now it's doing a good job I think I may have to put fresh compost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. "doddery"
    Like x 10

Got myself a new allotment

Latest update, paths between beds now laid, paving outside hut completed just to finish the bit in front of the shed/potting enclosure to be completed then the pallets collars will be in front of...
    Latest update, paths between beds now laid, paving outside hut completed just to finish the bit in front of the shed/potting enclosure to be completed then the pallets collars will be in front of these. Pallet collars will be two in height (bluberry bushes) and two, three collars in height...
    Latest update, paths between beds now laid, paving outside hut completed just to finish the bit in front of the shed/potting enclosure to be completed then the pallets collars will be in front of these. Pallet collars will be two in height...
    Latest update, paths between beds now laid, paving outside hut completed just to finish the bit in front of the shed/potting enclosure to be completed then the pallets collars will be in front of...
    IMG_20170611_185620.jpg IMG_20170611_185626.jpg IMG_20170611_185639.jpg IMG_20170611_185645.jpg IMG_20170611_185711.jpg IMG_20170611_185720.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Tinker86

No Dig Approach

Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a big city, in my home garden, I have to turn it each...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jimb0b

Had an offer

@Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets, eye protection, a strong mix of glyphosate and a...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets,...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Linz

Green manure

phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. stephenprudence
    Like x 6

My allotment

I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot not just for the sole purpose of filling it with a...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Carllennon

How do I start?

Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is anything like old rhubarb or asparagus beds or soft...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 16

JackMcH's Allotment

Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much different. It's so dry the grass has only been cut...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. joolz68

Which Sweetcorn?

Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lee Herrington
    Like x 5

My Giant Marrow ( September 2016 )

Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Denton Dave

Rotovator screaming

Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Snorky85

Inherited an allotment and not sure what to do!

Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK
    Like x 18

John's Allotment

I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine...
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine are empty Tonic bottles too :)
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine are empty Tonic bottles too :)
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Snorky85

Late sowing of spring onions

First harvest of the spring onions for to ight duck/tofu and pancakes!
    IMG_5283.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. chitting kaz

green manure ?

It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another third for fruit and the final (and most overgrown) third for vegetables this year. Next year should...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another third for fruit and the final (and most overgrown)...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Steve R

Paying plot rent

One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the tenants to chat to him about any problems or ideas. Anyone who can't attend gives their cheque or cash...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the tenants to chat to him about any problems or ideas. ...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. chitting kaz
    Like x 6

officially MY PLOT

Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options