1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.There needs to be...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess Anne or how the IRA wanted to recruit him....sad...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    20170206_123358.jpg 20170206_123412.jpg 20170206_123421.jpg 20170206_123458.jpg 20170206_123504.jpg 20170206_132038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 7

Cut Flower Garden Project.

Sorry, no photo's this time.Six buckets of flowers today, a new record and a very pleased Mrs Steve!From seed this year I have grown less than ten different types of flowers, and backed those...
    Sorry, no photo's this time.Six buckets of flowers today, a new record and a very pleased Mrs Steve!From seed this year I have grown less than ten different types of flowers, and backed those up with Dahlias. It has been great but a little limited when coming to present them in a vase, they...
    Sorry, no photo's this time.Six buckets of flowers today, a new record and a very pleased Mrs Steve!From seed this year I have grown less than ten different types of flowers, and backed those up with Dahlias. It has been great but a little...
    Sorry, no photo's this time.Six buckets of flowers today, a new record and a very pleased Mrs Steve!From seed this year I have grown less than ten different types of flowers, and backed those...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. OxfordNick
    Like x 8

Nicks New allotment

It's all go go go on the plot isn't it? Good to see your having some good fortune between the problems, that is allotment life for you.The best tip I can possibly give (besides, "Hoeing everyday...
    It's all go go go on the plot isn't it? Good to see your having some good fortune between the problems, that is allotment life for you.The best tip I can possibly give (besides, "Hoeing everyday with a Y in it") is to continue working on your plot right through till next Spring. It can be...
    It's all go go go on the plot isn't it? Good to see your having some good fortune between the problems, that is allotment life for you.The best tip I can possibly give (besides, "Hoeing everyday with a Y in it") is to continue working on your...
    It's all go go go on the plot isn't it? Good to see your having some good fortune between the problems, that is allotment life for you.The best tip I can possibly give (besides, "Hoeing everyday...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R

Cut flower - Cosmos

I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have...
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed many plantings as being so much more stronger looking.
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed many plantings as being so much more...
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby loves Asparagus but the trouble is it keeps you on...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. thriftybri

tomato

To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the plot.Steve...:)
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK

Cut flowers from seeds

This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one, so I got 12 pkts for just their £1.95 P&P charge...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one,...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    mypex sunflwr.png pt dafs.jpg pt tulip.jpg 20150305-P3050002.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1453657980595.jpg chatsworth.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. stephenprudence
    Like x 8

The allotment this year

it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of the lily family. It’s typically in season in the UK from April until June, traditionally starting...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of the lily family. It’s typically in season in the...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TrW

Allotment old pond as veg plot – abandon or continue

Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing as I have a high interest in food in...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. GrannyEllie

Shall I get an allotment?

I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Tinker86
    Like x 3

Tinkers Allotment

More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I inherited some free roofing tiles so they came in...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    75007EC2-9D3E-4A78-8C8F-F7143348659A.jpeg DE337A08-D731-49E1-8F30-4814667304C2.jpeg 8B5F54E4-BF70-4F13-A6BA-1175245D7B49.jpeg 8E7FF086-2B0A-42C9-B2B6-C83D7AEE952E.jpeg 0A1C3F4A-BC38-4077-B6F8-A13D19FD7E29.jpeg FAA61004-A42B-4415-A317-3DB7673C19F4.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Steve R
    Like x 9

Recycled/Pallet Shed.

Steve, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Notty1975

Potatoes and manure

Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Notty1975

Filling raised beds

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Steve R

Admin fees and paper trails.

Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative (you) of a properly formed organisation. That's...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Chesterfieldgardener

Carrot Seeds

Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Gail_68
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Stevebeard

Planting raised beds

I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant - it will be a leaf crop one year (which will deplete...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant -...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. "doddery"
    Like x 13

Got myself a new allotment

What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Notty1975

Heating my greenhouse

Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options