1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster
    Useful x 3

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I live in a rural area, so formal allotments are effectively non-existant. However, it may be worth asking around for anyone who has an old kitchen garden they don't work. They may take a bit of...
    I live in a rural area, so formal allotments are effectively non-existant. However, it may be worth asking around for anyone who has an old kitchen garden they don't work. They may take a bit of clearing but there is usually an endless supply of manure close by to improve the ground once it...
    I live in a rural area, so formal allotments are effectively non-existant. However, it may be worth asking around for anyone who has an old kitchen garden they don't work. They may take a bit of clearing but there is usually an endless supply...
    I live in a rural area, so formal allotments are effectively non-existant. However, it may be worth asking around for anyone who has an old kitchen garden they don't work. They may take a bit of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote that a land owner owns their property 'From the heavens above to the earth beneath'. This got...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote that a land owner owns their property 'From the...
    Don't blame you. :blue thumb:The tax thingie is being fought hard.The mining rights problem goes back centuries and nothing to do with politics (originally, or now - at the moment). They used to quote...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. stephenprudence
    Like x 4

My allotment

It's lovely! And full of promise - I'll look forward to seeing more pix in due course. I've got a dwarf pomegranate here in London, which regularly fruits. It's growing with some other plants in...
    It's lovely! And full of promise - I'll look forward to seeing more pix in due course. I've got a dwarf pomegranate here in London, which regularly fruits. It's growing with some other plants in a disused cistern, in a sunny sheltered spot with a wall behind it, and has survived some hard...
    It's lovely! And full of promise - I'll look forward to seeing more pix in due course. I've got a dwarf pomegranate here in London, which regularly fruits. It's growing with some other plants in a disused cistern, in a sunny sheltered spot with...
    It's lovely! And full of promise - I'll look forward to seeing more pix in due course. I've got a dwarf pomegranate here in London, which regularly fruits. It's growing with some other plants in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Linz
    Like x 11

Linny's allotment

Thanks Rustler. It's not too late to get some fruit and veg plants bought in or even sow yourself, get a few grow bags from wilkos..Give it a go! I'm away for 2 weeks on weds and yet to pack so...
    Thanks Rustler. It's not too late to get some fruit and veg plants bought in or even sow yourself, get a few grow bags from wilkos..Give it a go! I'm away for 2 weeks on weds and yet to pack so doubt I'll be able to do much to the new one before hand.. but still I can't wait to get stuck in on...
    Thanks Rustler. It's not too late to get some fruit and veg plants bought in or even sow yourself, get a few grow bags from wilkos..Give it a go! I'm away for 2 weeks on weds and yet to pack so doubt I'll be able to do much to the new one before...
    Thanks Rustler. It's not too late to get some fruit and veg plants bought in or even sow yourself, get a few grow bags from wilkos..Give it a go! I'm away for 2 weeks on weds and yet to pack so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 16

JackMcH's Allotment

Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much different. It's so dry the grass has only been cut...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. joolz68

Which Sweetcorn?

Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lee Herrington
    Like x 5

My Giant Marrow ( September 2016 )

Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Denton Dave

Rotovator screaming

Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Snorky85

Inherited an allotment and not sure what to do!

Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 18

John's Allotment

I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine...
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine are empty Tonic bottles too :)
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine are empty Tonic bottles too :)
    I can't claim credit for the idea, I only noticed it when I got my allotment. It's very useful wandering around the site and getting ideas from other folk's plots.Hee hee, I think most of mine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Snorky85

Late sowing of spring onions

First harvest of the spring onions for to ight duck/tofu and pancakes!
    IMG_5283.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. chitting kaz

green manure ?

It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another third for fruit and the final (and most overgrown) third for vegetables this year. Next year should...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another third for fruit and the final (and most overgrown)...
    It can take a lot of effort to get a new plot up and running. I took over a large plot about sixteen months ago, using the best cultivated third of it for vegetables that year, preparing another...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Steve R

Paying plot rent

One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the tenants to chat to him about any problems or ideas. Anyone who can't attend gives their cheque or cash...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the tenants to chat to him about any problems or ideas. ...
    One of our local allotments (quite a large site) have an annual wine and cake evening in one of the polytunnels. The clerk comes to it and collects the rent. It also gives a chance for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. chitting kaz
    Like x 6

officially MY PLOT

Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Or both.lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ms.mapgirl

Edging veg beds...

@chitting kazHi Kaz, no use debating, :) just get out there and do something about it. :thumbsup: It may turn out to be the wrong thing but you can always change it. :grphg:"I didn't get to where I am today..." :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    @chitting kazHi Kaz, no use debating, :) just get out there and do something about it. :thumbsup: It may turn out to be the wrong thing but you can always change it. :grphg:"I didn't get to where I am today..." :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. zappamusic2010

Bindweed - Mexican Marigolds ...

The problem with using Tagetes minuta is that you're replacing one weed with another possible problem - and giving yourself extra work that you obviously don't have time for. That's apart from...
    The problem with using Tagetes minuta is that you're replacing one weed with another possible problem - and giving yourself extra work that you obviously don't have time for. That's apart from the rather unpleasant smell of the plant!I've used the 'pulling method' for the last 40 years as we...
    The problem with using Tagetes minuta is that you're replacing one weed with another possible problem - and giving yourself extra work that you obviously don't have time for. That's apart from the rather unpleasant smell of the plant!I've used...
    The problem with using Tagetes minuta is that you're replacing one weed with another possible problem - and giving yourself extra work that you obviously don't have time for. That's apart from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. stephenprudence
    Like x 4

My allotment

Thanks Zigs I love it down on the plot it's awesome :-)Leeski I'm on Thingwall Community Allotments near you aka Warrens Medical Centre area so it's worth coming and have a look at the site....
    Thanks Zigs I love it down on the plot it's awesome :-)Leeski I'm on Thingwall Community Allotments near you aka Warrens Medical Centre area so it's worth coming and have a look at the site. I'll pm you some contact details for the site if you want to see if they have any plots left.
    Thanks Zigs I love it down on the plot it's awesome :-)Leeski I'm on Thingwall Community Allotments near you aka Warrens Medical Centre area so it's worth coming and have a look at the site. I'll pm you some contact details for the site if you...
    Thanks Zigs I love it down on the plot it's awesome :-)Leeski I'm on Thingwall Community Allotments near you aka Warrens Medical Centre area so it's worth coming and have a look at the site....
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Steve R

Do you use a battery operated strimmer?

I had a small battery operated strimmer for tickling round my shed regularly, but always used a petrol strimmer for the rest of the plot. I hated the petrol stimmer with a passion - heavy,...
    I had a small battery operated strimmer for tickling round my shed regularly, but always used a petrol strimmer for the rest of the plot. I hated the petrol stimmer with a passion - heavy, smelly, hot, temperamental, exhausting - and consequently would put off doing the job until things started...
    I had a small battery operated strimmer for tickling round my shed regularly, but always used a petrol strimmer for the rest of the plot. I hated the petrol stimmer with a passion - heavy, smelly, hot, temperamental, exhausting - and...
    I had a small battery operated strimmer for tickling round my shed regularly, but always used a petrol strimmer for the rest of the plot. I hated the petrol stimmer with a passion - heavy,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Webmaster
    Like x 13

A lot of work to do.......

Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. enchanté jardinier

Split Rail Fencing - Split rail fence building steps

Could you post it here? I would much rather view it here as part of the Gardeners corner experience rather than navigate away from GC..Steve...:)
    Could you post it here? I would much rather view it here as part of the Gardeners corner experience rather than navigate away from GC..Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. IceColdRum
    Like x 10

[Pic Heavy] Just been offered an Allotment :)

Sweetcorn is coming along nicely as are the sunflowers I sowed.
    2016-01-11 12.56.37.jpg 2016-01-11 12.52.04.jpg fruitbushes_img1.jpg fruitbushes_img2.jpg fruitbushes_img3.jpg plant1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. MrsTea
    Like x 11

Mrs Tea's Allotment

Short update on the garden :)Three cucumber plants are growing happily, and have a new neighbour: sweet peas.My tomatoes are doing really well, so do most of the kohlrabi plants. The brussel...
    Short update on the garden :)Three cucumber plants are growing happily, and have a new neighbour: sweet peas.My tomatoes are doing really well, so do most of the kohlrabi plants. The brussel sprouts love their new home and grow very well, too!My husband's chilis love their greenhouse...
    Short update on the garden :)Three cucumber plants are growing happily, and have a new neighbour: sweet peas.My tomatoes are doing really well, so do most of the kohlrabi plants. The brussel sprouts love their new home and grow very well,...
    Short update on the garden :)Three cucumber plants are growing happily, and have a new neighbour: sweet peas.My tomatoes are doing really well, so do most of the kohlrabi plants. The brussel...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options