1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.There needs to be...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

With the tomatoes deciding to go rampant and covering the others I had a trim over 2 days and got them all organised and tied up
    With the tomatoes deciding to go rampant and covering the others I had a trim over 2 days and got them all organised and tied up
    IMG_4842.JPG IMG_4843.JPG IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4866.JPG IMG_4884.JPG IMG_4897.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. thriftybri

tomato

To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the plot.Steve...:)
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Cut flowers from seeds

This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one, so I got 12 pkts for just their £1.95 P&P charge...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one,...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    mypex sunflwr.png pt dafs.jpg pt tulip.jpg 20150305-P3050002.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1453657980595.jpg chatsworth.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Like x 7

Cut Flower Garden Project.

Steve a great selection mate on your allotment
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. OxfordNick
    Like x 8

Nicks New allotment

Been busy with life but theres been some progress:First earlies are flowering & Ill be havesting the first batch this week I think:Main crop went in too late really so are only just appearing,...
    Been busy with life but theres been some progress:First earlies are flowering & Ill be havesting the first batch this week I think:Main crop went in too late really so are only just appearing, along with loads of bindweed thats been spread around by the rotovator at some point before we took...
    Been busy with life but theres been some progress:First earlies are flowering & Ill be havesting the first batch this week I think:Main crop went in too late really so are only just appearing, along with loads of bindweed thats been spread...
    Been busy with life but theres been some progress:First earlies are flowering & Ill be havesting the first batch this week I think:Main crop went in too late really so are only just appearing,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. stephenprudence
    Like x 8

The allotment this year

it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of the lily family. It’s typically in season in the UK from April until June, traditionally starting...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of the lily family. It’s typically in season in the...
    it does constantly about every 15 minutes...mind you it must be helping my kidneys I suppose ;)What is asparagus and when is it in season? Asparagus is a spear-like vegetable that is a member of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. TrW

Allotment old pond as veg plot – abandon or continue

Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing as I have a high interest in food in...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GrannyEllie

Shall I get an allotment?

I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

:yes:Just the doors need fixing now..but am so grateful that the new cover is on!Last weekend I planted one long bed full of rocket spuds, made a new raspberry bed, sowed carrots and parsnips in...
    :yes:Just the doors need fixing now..but am so grateful that the new cover is on!Last weekend I planted one long bed full of rocket spuds, made a new raspberry bed, sowed carrots and parsnips in the big box.Started to dig another patch over just needs to be weeded and I can put my pea...
    :yes:Just the doors need fixing now..but am so grateful that the new cover is on!Last weekend I planted one long bed full of rocket spuds, made a new raspberry bed, sowed carrots and parsnips in the big box.Started to dig another patch over...
    :yes:Just the doors need fixing now..but am so grateful that the new cover is on!Last weekend I planted one long bed full of rocket spuds, made a new raspberry bed, sowed carrots and parsnips in...
    20170206_123358.jpg 20170206_123412.jpg 20170206_123421.jpg 20170206_123458.jpg 20170206_123504.jpg 20170206_132038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tinker86
    Like x 3

Tinkers Allotment

More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I inherited some free roofing tiles so they came in...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    SDC13171.JPG 20180223_134315.jpg 75007EC2-9D3E-4A78-8C8F-F7143348659A.jpeg DE337A08-D731-49E1-8F30-4814667304C2.jpeg 8B5F54E4-BF70-4F13-A6BA-1175245D7B49.jpeg 8E7FF086-2B0A-42C9-B2B6-C83D7AEE952E.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve R
    Like x 9

Recycled/Pallet Shed.

Steve, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Notty1975

Potatoes and manure

Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Notty1975

Filling raised beds

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Steve R

Admin fees and paper trails.

Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative (you) of a properly formed organisation. That's...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Chesterfieldgardener

Carrot Seeds

Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Gail_68
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Stevebeard

Planting raised beds

I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant - it will be a leaf crop one year (which will deplete...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant -...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. "doddery"
    Like x 13

Got myself a new allotment

What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Notty1975

Heating my greenhouse

Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Webmaster
    Funny x 4

A song for you all :D

Or at least Eurovision ;)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options