1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.There needs to be...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. OxfordNick
    Like x 7

Nicks New allotment

Dont think so - most of the plots havent bothered but the lot before me appear to have put it up (poorly) & then planted 5 or 6 dwarf fruit trees which they started to train to the fence. They...
    Dont think so - most of the plots havent bothered but the lot before me appear to have put it up (poorly) & then planted 5 or 6 dwarf fruit trees which they started to train to the fence. They only used staples to hold the mesh up & those have rusted so the wire has come away from the posts...
    Dont think so - most of the plots havent bothered but the lot before me appear to have put it up (poorly) & then planted 5 or 6 dwarf fruit trees which they started to train to the fence. They only used staples to hold the mesh up & those have...
    Dont think so - most of the plots havent bothered but the lot before me appear to have put it up (poorly) & then planted 5 or 6 dwarf fruit trees which they started to train to the fence. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Tinker86
    Like x 3

Tinkers Allotment

More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I inherited some free roofing tiles so they came in...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    SDC13171.JPG 20180223_134315.jpg 75007EC2-9D3E-4A78-8C8F-F7143348659A.jpeg DE337A08-D731-49E1-8F30-4814667304C2.jpeg 8B5F54E4-BF70-4F13-A6BA-1175245D7B49.jpeg 8E7FF086-2B0A-42C9-B2B6-C83D7AEE952E.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

There's a whole lot of difference mate plus organization
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Like x 9

Recycled/Pallet Shed.

Steve, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Notty1975

Potatoes and manure

Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Notty1975

Filling raised beds

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

ha ha! brilliant tips @Linz Thank you!:wub2:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Steve R

Admin fees and paper trails.

Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative (you) of a properly formed organisation. That's...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Chesterfieldgardener

Carrot Seeds

Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gail_68
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve R
    Like x 7

Cut Flower Garden Project.

@Freddy That video should be abolished .... total disgrace to people such as myself and others who try our very and I mean very best at flower arranging because plants don't like our environments
    @Freddy That video should be abolished .... total disgrace to people such as myself and others who try our very and I mean very best at flower arranging because plants don't like our environments
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Stevebeard

Planting raised beds

I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant - it will be a leaf crop one year (which will deplete...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant -...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. "doddery"
    Like x 13

Got myself a new allotment

What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    What a terrific looking site, and now you have it in shape cant wait to see what you plant..
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Notty1975

Heating my greenhouse

Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Webmaster
    Funny x 4

A song for you all :D

Or at least Eurovision ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Tinker86

No Dig Approach

Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a big city, in my home garden, I have to turn it each...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jimb0b

Had an offer

@Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets, eye protection, a strong mix of glyphosate and a...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets,...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Linz

Green manure

phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. stephenprudence
    Like x 6

My allotment

I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot not just for the sole purpose of filling it with a...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Carllennon

How do I start?

Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is anything like old rhubarb or asparagus beds or soft...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options