Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. PLOTTY

MY ALLOTMENTS WEEK : 29 UPDATE

Thanks for the heads up @pete & @Busy-Lizzie; I have moved posts about and will now close this thread.
    Thanks for the heads up @pete & @Busy-Lizzie; I have moved posts about and will now close this thread.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GWRS

The Allotment Update Thread

@GWRS - I have created a new allotments update thread, and look forward to hearing you and everyone else's general allotment updates :)
    @GWRS - I have created a new allotments update thread, and look forward to hearing you and everyone else's general allotment updates :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Cannyfullpots

Best fertilizer?

Hello , I use Blood Fish & Bone on fruits Chicken pellets I was given some bags volcanic mineral rock dust which I’ve been put on my large bedsWe get horse manure delivered to our site ,...
    Hello , I use Blood Fish & Bone on fruits Chicken pellets I was given some bags volcanic mineral rock dust which I’ve been put on my large bedsWe get horse manure delivered to our site , free , just help your self , I cover my small beds over winter , then in the spring dig it in or put in...
    Hello , I use Blood Fish & Bone on fruits Chicken pellets I was given some bags volcanic mineral rock dust which I’ve been put on my large bedsWe get horse manure delivered to our site , free , just help your self , I cover my small beds...
    Hello , I use Blood Fish & Bone on fruits Chicken pellets I was given some bags volcanic mineral rock dust which I’ve been put on my large bedsWe get horse manure delivered to our site ,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Purple Streaks

Chickens and cockerels

I would agree. I am not sure that chicks as a child's pet is not a particularly good idea. The chicks grow to adulthood very quickly and become humanised as well, they then try to get in the...
    I would agree. I am not sure that chicks as a child's pet is not a particularly good idea. The chicks grow to adulthood very quickly and become humanised as well, they then try to get in the house. It is as well to remember when rearing chickens from eggs, only about 3 in every 10/12 eggs will...
    I would agree. I am not sure that chicks as a child's pet is not a particularly good idea. The chicks grow to adulthood very quickly and become humanised as well, they then try to get in the house. It is as well to remember when rearing chickens...
    I would agree. I am not sure that chicks as a child's pet is not a particularly good idea. The chicks grow to adulthood very quickly and become humanised as well, they then try to get in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. DefNotAPro

Taking half this monstrosity on!

Aargh!! Colin, you can't be Cornish! Usually from the local baker or ideally home made.
    Aargh!! Colin, you can't be Cornish! Usually from the local baker or ideally home made.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Drahcir

"Bird proof" on the allotment.

It seem to work at that time, my thinking was if a human can overdose on them so it should work with a rat, i only tryed it because i was out of bait, now i use a mouse/rat trap which works well...
    It seem to work at that time, my thinking was if a human can overdose on them so it should work with a rat, i only tryed it because i was out of bait, now i use a mouse/rat trap which works well so i'm not using bait any more i like a clean kill not a slow dead
    It seem to work at that time, my thinking was if a human can overdose on them so it should work with a rat, i only tryed it because i was out of bait, now i use a mouse/rat trap which works well so i'm not using bait any more i like a clean kill...
    It seem to work at that time, my thinking was if a human can overdose on them so it should work with a rat, i only tryed it because i was out of bait, now i use a mouse/rat trap which works well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. hikiwari

Best pollinator plants for an allotment

Thanks everyone. I'll give some of them a try., We have quite a lot of lavender in the garden which many varieties of bees adore so I think I'll add a lavender plant as well.
    Thanks everyone. I'll give some of them a try., We have quite a lot of lavender in the garden which many varieties of bees adore so I think I'll add a lavender plant as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. cameron gibson

Strawberry plants

Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new runners. When grown with straw, it was the fashion to burn off the straw, leaves and debris, to...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new runners. When grown with straw, it was the fashion...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Webmaster
    Like x 8

Son now has an allotment

They've got their own space to do what they want.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Drahcir
    Agree x 4

WHAT a sickening waste.

To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors...
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors around across the nation?
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors around across the nation?
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Drahcir

Allotment & "Meals on Wheels".

Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for...
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for any member of the Public, Unfortuanately a few took the Lot
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for any member of the Public, Unfortuanately a few...
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. MikeAbraham1971

Poison Hemlock in New Allotment

It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you get it on your skin and the sun shines on it. It tends to like moist spots which indicates the sort...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you get it on your skin and the sun shines on it. It...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Chris20

Gazebo blinds

Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping that these 'local' dealers may offer other possible options besides those of the company that passed...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping that these 'local' dealers may offer other possible...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Drahcir
    Funny x 4

I suppose I had better buy a freezer.

I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The place is fairly well insulated, but cold may be a factor. The chest freezerI'm thinging of has been...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The place is fairly well insulated, but cold may be a...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Balc

Half an allotment is better than ...

The Mods can now close this thread as there will obviously be no more posts.:sad::cry3:
    The Mods can now close this thread as there will obviously be no more posts.:sad::cry3:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jay9408
    Like x 4

New compost bays

I may have to do the same with the plastic and rig up some guttering to collect the water
    I may have to do the same with the plastic and rig up some guttering to collect the water
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. roders
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Jay9408

Looking for ideas

I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there...
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there for diversity
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there for diversity
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Mike Lowndes

Silt from a canal drain - any use?

Thanks all. I may well get it tested but otherwise will use it sparingly with sand and compost.
    Thanks all. I may well get it tested but otherwise will use it sparingly with sand and compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Barders

Buying seeds online?

Thank you @Balc, that's good to know :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice