1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. IceColdRum
    Like x 10

[Pic Heavy] Just been offered an Allotment :)

Sweetcorn is coming along nicely as are the sunflowers I sowed.
    2016-01-11 12.56.37.jpg 2016-01-11 12.52.04.jpg fruitbushes_img1.jpg fruitbushes_img2.jpg fruitbushes_img3.jpg plant1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Phil A

Ziggys' Home Plot

I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor round:DOH: Put a right dent in food production too, had a bit of stuff out of the plot but nothing...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor round:DOH: Put a right dent in food production too,...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. WillieBee
    Like x 8

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! .... Got an allotment. See pictures

It will be worth the wait, the hard work is the digging and then getting rid of all the old weeds and rubbish, but it will all be worthwhile in the end :)Just being nosey about the large man made...
    It will be worth the wait, the hard work is the digging and then getting rid of all the old weeds and rubbish, but it will all be worthwhile in the end :)Just being nosey about the large man made high wall in picture 4 where the Wendy house is it might the the time of year (sunshine wise) but it...
    It will be worth the wait, the hard work is the digging and then getting rid of all the old weeds and rubbish, but it will all be worthwhile in the end :)Just being nosey about the large man made high wall in picture 4 where the Wendy house is it...
    It will be worth the wait, the hard work is the digging and then getting rid of all the old weeds and rubbish, but it will all be worthwhile in the end :)Just being nosey about the large man made...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R

WRAS back flow water valves

The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated water could then reach other taps which may not be a problem if everyone is just watering their plants,...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated water could then reach other taps which may not be a...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. IceColdRum

Would you say this is organic?

Can't see the caterpillars complaining even if it's not organic:yahoo:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Katherna

Wooooohoooo :)

Just keep digging and cutting back blackberries. 1 good thing is to grow the first year is potatoes, they brake the soil up nicely and have large foliage to cover the area so the weeds dont have...
    Just keep digging and cutting back blackberries. 1 good thing is to grow the first year is potatoes, they brake the soil up nicely and have large foliage to cover the area so the weeds dont have much chance to grow. just dont give uo (as lots of new gardeners do on our site) and after 2 seasons...
    Just keep digging and cutting back blackberries. 1 good thing is to grow the first year is potatoes, they brake the soil up nicely and have large foliage to cover the area so the weeds dont have much chance to grow. just dont give uo (as lots of...
    Just keep digging and cutting back blackberries. 1 good thing is to grow the first year is potatoes, they brake the soil up nicely and have large foliage to cover the area so the weeds dont have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Aesculus

Woman, 89, to lose allotment for growing flowers not vegetables

well im quite appalled at this doing that to an elderly lady, im just in process of getting a part allotment and im having a seating area with flowers etc mind the other half is going to be...
    well im quite appalled at this doing that to an elderly lady, im just in process of getting a part allotment and im having a seating area with flowers etc mind the other half is going to be vegetables, but after her having that site all them years its teribble for that lady and the council...
    well im quite appalled at this doing that to an elderly lady, im just in process of getting a part allotment and im having a seating area with flowers etc mind the other half is going to be vegetables, but after her having that site all them...
    well im quite appalled at this doing that to an elderly lady, im just in process of getting a part allotment and im having a seating area with flowers etc mind the other half is going to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Amy Kakoura

Willow Wanted

Hi There!I wondered if anybody in or near the midlands might have any willow branches they might be able to spare? I'm looking to weave them into borders for the veg/flower beds.Gratitude and...
    Hi There!I wondered if anybody in or near the midlands might have any willow branches they might be able to spare? I'm looking to weave them into borders for the veg/flower beds.Gratitude and cake for anyone who can!Amy xxx
    Hi There!I wondered if anybody in or near the midlands might have any willow branches they might be able to spare? I'm looking to weave them into borders for the veg/flower beds.Gratitude and cake for anyone who can!Amy xxx
    Hi There!I wondered if anybody in or near the midlands might have any willow branches they might be able to spare? I'm looking to weave them into borders for the veg/flower beds.Gratitude and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. digging dave

Will I be paying too much?

Being a bit of a rebel I'd like to disagree with the other peeps but I'm not going to lol. Like Vince said you'll be getting exercise and cheap veg so I think £100 pa is a bit of a bargain even if...
    Being a bit of a rebel I'd like to disagree with the other peeps but I'm not going to lol. Like Vince said you'll be getting exercise and cheap veg so I think £100 pa is a bit of a bargain even if other allotments are even bigger bargains! And if it helps the site and secures it for the future...
    Being a bit of a rebel I'd like to disagree with the other peeps but I'm not going to lol. Like Vince said you'll be getting exercise and cheap veg so I think £100 pa is a bit of a bargain even if other allotments are even bigger bargains! And if...
    Being a bit of a rebel I'd like to disagree with the other peeps but I'm not going to lol. Like Vince said you'll be getting exercise and cheap veg so I think £100 pa is a bit of a bargain even if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. joolz68

White rust on cabbage

Has anyone had a problem this yr?i only noticed today that my cabbages grown near the tree hedge had white hard tiny lumps on them,i googled when i got home and i think its white rust :sad: I mainly...
    Has anyone had a problem this yr?i only noticed today that my cabbages grown near the tree hedge had white hard tiny lumps on them,i googled when i got home and i think its white rust :sad: I mainly grow them for my hens so im not too worried but i read that im not to grow cabbage here again,i was...
    Has anyone had a problem this yr?i only noticed today that my cabbages grown near the tree hedge had white hard tiny lumps on them,i googled when i got home and i think its white rust :sad: I mainly grow them for my hens so im not too worried but i...
    Has anyone had a problem this yr?i only noticed today that my cabbages grown near the tree hedge had white hard tiny lumps on them,i googled when i got home and i think its white rust :sad: I mainly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. joolz68

Which Sweetcorn?

Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sarah Giles

Where to put what?

I will be planting Butternut Squash with my Sweetcorns, now i am thinking of planting Courgettes alongside the Tomato Plants i will be growing outside this year.
    I will be planting Butternut Squash with my Sweetcorns, now i am thinking of planting Courgettes alongside the Tomato Plants i will be growing outside this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Phil Holding

When to cover up some plots

It saves me more time than that. I've recently laid some more Mypex and planted nearly 300 strawberry plants through it which wont require any more maintenance for a few years, other than ...
    It saves me more time than that. I've recently laid some more Mypex and planted nearly 300 strawberry plants through it which wont require any more maintenance for a few years, other than harvesting the runners and fruit. Cost me about £20 and will save many days of work every year.As I've...
    It saves me more time than that. I've recently laid some more Mypex and planted nearly 300 strawberry plants through it which wont require any more maintenance for a few years, other than harvesting the runners and fruit. Cost me about £20 and...
    It saves me more time than that. I've recently laid some more Mypex and planted nearly 300 strawberry plants through it which wont require any more maintenance for a few years, other than ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ed S

What happened?!

I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive to work on a cold spring morning I can get a variation of 5C depending on how high I am at the time,...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive to work on a cold spring morning I can get a...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Adam Moran

What flowers to grow on the allotment?

I have brought:Clarkia concinna 'Pink Ribbons' -1 Packet (1000 Seeds) £0.50 Nasturtium 'Ladybird' -1 packet (30 seeds) £0.80 Sweet Pea 'Blue Ripple' -1 packet (25 seeds) £0.50 Sweet...
    I have brought:Clarkia concinna 'Pink Ribbons' -1 Packet (1000 Seeds) £0.50 Nasturtium 'Ladybird' -1 packet (30 seeds) £0.80 Sweet Pea 'Blue Ripple' -1 packet (25 seeds) £0.50 Sweet Pea 'Lilac Ripple' -1 Packet (25 seeds) £0.50
    I have brought:Clarkia concinna 'Pink Ribbons' -1 Packet (1000 Seeds) £0.50 Nasturtium 'Ladybird' -1 packet (30 seeds) £0.80 Sweet Pea 'Blue Ripple' -1 packet (25 seeds) £0.50 Sweet Pea 'Lilac Ripple' -1 Packet (25 seeds) £0.50
    I have brought:Clarkia concinna 'Pink Ribbons' -1 Packet (1000 Seeds) £0.50 Nasturtium 'Ladybird' -1 packet (30 seeds) £0.80 Sweet Pea 'Blue Ripple' -1 packet (25 seeds) £0.50 Sweet...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. scott333

What do people need for allotments?

I was wondering this. Where the hell are you supposed to find unwanted timber etc?
    I was wondering this. Where the hell are you supposed to find unwanted timber etc?
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. lazy-gardener

What do I do with all these caterpillars

I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Steve R

What did YOU do in the garden/allotment Today/This Week?

looking good doghouse. looking really good. Thats a mighty big work load you have there to keep that looking as it does.Today I managed to plant a few potato tubers in the big bin before the...
    looking good doghouse. looking really good. Thats a mighty big work load you have there to keep that looking as it does.Today I managed to plant a few potato tubers in the big bin before the hail came down, Im about three weeks later then last year, but Im sure nature will catch up.
    looking good doghouse. looking really good. Thats a mighty big work load you have there to keep that looking as it does.Today I managed to plant a few potato tubers in the big bin before the hail came down, Im about three weeks later then last...
    looking good doghouse. looking really good. Thats a mighty big work load you have there to keep that looking as it does.Today I managed to plant a few potato tubers in the big bin before the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Julie D

What are you doing on your plot this month?

Hi all, This thread seems to have lapsed which is a shame because I'd love some tips as to what we could all be doing each month. I've only had my plot since end of June and am very much a newbie....
    Hi all, This thread seems to have lapsed which is a shame because I'd love some tips as to what we could all be doing each month. I've only had my plot since end of June and am very much a newbie. Would it be best to have a monthly "What are we doing this month?" or stick with one long thread,...
    Hi all, This thread seems to have lapsed which is a shame because I'd love some tips as to what we could all be doing each month. I've only had my plot since end of June and am very much a newbie. Would it be best to have a monthly "What are we...
    Hi all, This thread seems to have lapsed which is a shame because I'd love some tips as to what we could all be doing each month. I've only had my plot since end of June and am very much a newbie....
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Marley Farley

What are you doing on your Plot 2015..?

it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online activities will take over most of my time (when I will have time...). But even without a garden I will have...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online activities will take over most of my time (when I will...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice