Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Webmaster
    Like x 13

A lot of work to do.......

Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Magic, thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 16

JackMcH's Allotment

Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much different. It's so dry the grass has only been cut...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 18

John's Allotment

Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've been using it in my veg plot for at least 15 years and it makes things so much easier.I use it in...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've been using it in my veg plot for at least 15 years...
    Levelling would make the fabric easier to walk on and pinning it down firmly also helps. I don't know whether you have a hose facility there but if it gets muddy it is easy to hose off. I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Simon Kirby

Newbury Allotment Dispute

You tell 'im, Aesculus:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Vince

Plot size clarification

It could only happen to me! popped up the allotment today, going back in a bit. started on the additional part of the plot, buried wire, buried plastic netting but to top it all, buried paving...
    It could only happen to me! popped up the allotment today, going back in a bit. started on the additional part of the plot, buried wire, buried plastic netting but to top it all, buried paving slabs, my back is suffering as a result but I think I've got the worst out. Got a delivery of "London...
    It could only happen to me! popped up the allotment today, going back in a bit. started on the additional part of the plot, buried wire, buried plastic netting but to top it all, buried paving slabs, my back is suffering as a result but I think...
    It could only happen to me! popped up the allotment today, going back in a bit. started on the additional part of the plot, buried wire, buried plastic netting but to top it all, buried paving...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. clanless
    Like x 19

Got this 2 weeks ago

It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop bought leeks were better. Apologies to any allotmenteers out there :biggrin:.My garden is large enough to keep...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop bought leeks were better. Apologies to any...
    It never was my intention to grow veg down at the plot - it was always going to be more of a 'leisure' plot. I harvested some leeks from there a couple of days ago - I have to say - the shop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Quaedor36

Best way to prepare a new allotment

I agree with Steve R :thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jungle Jane
    Like x 9

My Allotment's Work In Progress

Sorry to hear that Jane - but that's the good thing about allotments you can walk away from them :blue thumb:
    Sorry to hear that Jane - but that's the good thing about allotments you can walk away from them :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. intel

Mypex vs Yuzet

Just to update what I said here. I had a look at it this evening and the triangles are now fraying and some of the holes are open. Not bad or over ten years old!
    Just to update what I said here. I had a look at it this evening and the triangles are now fraying and some of the holes are open. Not bad or over ten years old!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess Anne or how the IRA wanted to recruit him....sad...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    20170206_123358.jpg 20170206_123412.jpg 20170206_123421.jpg 20170206_123458.jpg 20170206_123504.jpg 20170206_132038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Samuel_1988

Making a drip irrigation system for my allotment - any advice?

I have an idea that will be based on the Autopot system, but hopefully without the huge costs involved, instead of using the valves that the autopot uses, I was going to experiment with a...
    I have an idea that will be based on the Autopot system, but hopefully without the huge costs involved, instead of using the valves that the autopot uses, I was going to experiment with a variation on the 'Chicken Drinker', whereby you place a drum of water with holes drilled either side in the...
    I have an idea that will be based on the Autopot system, but hopefully without the huge costs involved, instead of using the valves that the autopot uses, I was going to experiment with a variation on the 'Chicken Drinker', whereby you place a...
    I have an idea that will be based on the Autopot system, but hopefully without the huge costs involved, instead of using the valves that the autopot uses, I was going to experiment with a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David G

Private Allotments

Not many by the looks of things! And there were more white butterflies over the cabbages than I have ever seen, not a good sign! Cheers!
    Not many by the looks of things! And there were more white butterflies over the cabbages than I have ever seen, not a good sign! Cheers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. chan2

please help an allotment newbie

Ours was'nt predug so thank your lucky stars for that Em, saves a lot of backache, We had ton upon ton of couchgrass to remove. We dug out what we could then turned the soil to let frost get to...
    Ours was'nt predug so thank your lucky stars for that Em, saves a lot of backache, We had ton upon ton of couchgrass to remove. We dug out what we could then turned the soil to let frost get to it, just leave in lumps. When the first earlies (potatoes) could be planted they cleaned up the...
    Ours was'nt predug so thank your lucky stars for that Em, saves a lot of backache, We had ton upon ton of couchgrass to remove. We dug out what we could then turned the soil to let frost get to it, just leave in lumps. When the first earlies...
    Ours was'nt predug so thank your lucky stars for that Em, saves a lot of backache, We had ton upon ton of couchgrass to remove. We dug out what we could then turned the soil to let frost get to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lisa11

Allotment tips for newbie?

Thanks guys :D Well, only managed to get the keys properly last monday (loooooong story :scratch:) but still..... As I said, my friend has prepared some stuff for me...went down there and did some...
    Thanks guys :D Well, only managed to get the keys properly last monday (loooooong story :scratch:) but still..... As I said, my friend has prepared some stuff for me...went down there and did some *proper* work (instead of just thinking about it :heehee:). Decided to go the route of " just get stuck in"...
    Thanks guys :D Well, only managed to get the keys properly last monday (loooooong story :scratch:) but still..... As I said, my friend has prepared some stuff for me...went down there and did some *proper* work (instead of just thinking about it :heehee:). ...
    Thanks guys :D Well, only managed to get the keys properly last monday (loooooong story :scratch:) but still..... As I said, my friend has prepared some stuff for me...went down there and did some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Steve R

Cleaar polythene sheet

I bought 25m x 3.4m of clear DPM from the local builders merchant when on offer, I think it cost me about £30.It's not UV stabilised but will last at least a season or two
    I bought 25m x 3.4m of clear DPM from the local builders merchant when on offer, I think it cost me about £30.It's not UV stabilised but will last at least a season or two
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jack McHammocklashing

Allotments and Vandalism?

I just can not click the "Like" button but I acknowledge your post Skotcat Disgusting, all that hard work, Was the damage vast, did the bottle house survive ? Jack McH
    I just can not click the "Like" button but I acknowledge your post Skotcat Disgusting, all that hard work, Was the damage vast, did the bottle house survive ? Jack McH
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Phil A

Ziggys' Home Plot

I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor round:DOH: Put a right dent in food production too, had a bit of stuff out of the plot but nothing...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor round:DOH: Put a right dent in food production too,...
    I was begining to think i'd run over a luck badger somewhere. Can't wait to get it sorted now, its been an eyesore all summer, couldn't touch anything in case they wanted to send an assessor...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Helofadigger

Bob & Hel's allotment

But there is the challenge, taking somthing thats so over grown, and making it into somthing great, which i know you can:gnthb:.....and once the ones who said "NO WAY"...see what you have...
    But there is the challenge, taking somthing thats so over grown, and making it into somthing great, which i know you can:gnthb:.....and once the ones who said "NO WAY"...see what you have done:D.....they will be kicking themselves in the shorts that they said NO in the first place:rotfl:~~!!
    But there is the challenge, taking somthing thats so over grown, and making it into somthing great, which i know you can:gnthb:.....and once the ones who said "NO WAY"...see what you have done:D.....they will be kicking themselves in the shorts...
    But there is the challenge, taking somthing thats so over grown, and making it into somthing great, which i know you can:gnthb:.....and once the ones who said "NO WAY"...see what you have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Marley Farley

What are you doing on your Plot 2015..?

it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online activities will take over most of my time (when I will have time...). But even without a garden I will have...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online activities will take over most of my time (when I will...
    it is great to be able to recognize our own limits and adjust things accordingly. As for me I don't really need a garden to look after, as it looks like the hobbies of crafts and online...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby loves Asparagus but the trouble is it keeps you on...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice