1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Emily Jones

Weeding between stones

Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. David Cook

Cloche usage

Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally cause problems with watering and overheating etc. ...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JR

Buzzing

Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the freezer) I reckon that with all the perenial flowers down there, the insect balance is much better to...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the freezer) I reckon that with all the perenial...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the...
    DSC_0021_1.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Emily Jones
    Like x 3

Goodies

Thank you @Emily Jones it must be that run of hot weather we had, the rogue is in the greenhouse but the others are out in the elements and seem to be fairing well.Tink.
    Thank you @Emily Jones it must be that run of hot weather we had, the rogue is in the greenhouse but the others are out in the elements and seem to be fairing well.Tink.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Emily Jones

Not yet a composter

Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to...
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to cook his apples before picking them :doh::biggrin:
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to cook his apples before picking them :doh::biggrin:
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Emily Jones

New allotment progress

Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment,...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment, ive got them covered over because the birds had a field day when they first got planted. Aw sounds...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment, ive got them covered over because the birds had a...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Dorndorf

compost bin over roots

Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one main branch growing out to the right. They said it had 'gone mad' so cut it back quite hard. I have...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one main branch growing out to the right. They said it...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Tim David

Climbing French Bean leaves dying

Thank you both! Will keep an eye on them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kennyhicks

Ive got a new alloment

I don't think there are any short cuts - I would mark out some beds (with paths inbetween) and clear one bed at a time. In the past I have found potatoes very good to start with as planting and...
    I don't think there are any short cuts - I would mark out some beds (with paths inbetween) and clear one bed at a time. In the past I have found potatoes very good to start with as planting and harvesting them the soil gets broken up nicely and with the amount of leaf cover they make it doesn't...
    I don't think there are any short cuts - I would mark out some beds (with paths inbetween) and clear one bed at a time. In the past I have found potatoes very good to start with as planting and harvesting them the soil gets broken up nicely and...
    I don't think there are any short cuts - I would mark out some beds (with paths inbetween) and clear one bed at a time. In the past I have found potatoes very good to start with as planting and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Paul Blackburn

Can someone tell me what this weed is

I was thinking give it a good spray of weedkiller when there are no vegetables in the bed then cover it with black plastic sheeting and leave untill the spring then get rid of all the soil and put...
    I was thinking give it a good spray of weedkiller when there are no vegetables in the bed then cover it with black plastic sheeting and leave untill the spring then get rid of all the soil and put a new mixture of manure and topsoil in and then cover it again untill I am ready to use it.Would...
    I was thinking give it a good spray of weedkiller when there are no vegetables in the bed then cover it with black plastic sheeting and leave untill the spring then get rid of all the soil and put a new mixture of manure and topsoil in and then...
    I was thinking give it a good spray of weedkiller when there are no vegetables in the bed then cover it with black plastic sheeting and leave untill the spring then get rid of all the soil and put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kristen

Steve's Videos

Here is my latest video, thought you might be interested to see this here on GC. No Dig update.Steve...:)
    Here is my latest video, thought you might be interested to see this here on GC. No Dig update.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. BML

Does anyone know about hand driven water pumps?

We used to have one when I was little girl. It was such a magic to pull and push, and get an ice cold water up.
    We used to have one when I was little girl. It was such a magic to pull and push, and get an ice cold water up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Dingledangle

Tomato trouble

the toms are Wilting from the top down, the lower leaves have brown rust type spots on them. the grape vine is 2 years old and has been in the green house for around 12 months now. we have an...
    the toms are Wilting from the top down, the lower leaves have brown rust type spots on them. the grape vine is 2 years old and has been in the green house for around 12 months now. we have an older one in an other green house thats fine and no signs of wilt. it seems to be the same thing thats...
    the toms are Wilting from the top down, the lower leaves have brown rust type spots on them. the grape vine is 2 years old and has been in the green house for around 12 months now. we have an older one in an other green house thats fine and no...
    the toms are Wilting from the top down, the lower leaves have brown rust type spots on them. the grape vine is 2 years old and has been in the green house for around 12 months now. we have an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Ed S

What happened?!

I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive to work on a cold spring morning I can get a variation of 5C depending on how high I am at the time,...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive to work on a cold spring morning I can get a...
    I'm in S.E and the wind did keep the frost away for me, but I'm up relatively high, frost pockets would have caught it. At this time of the year any frost is gone by 7 am usually. On my 10 drive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Ystalyfera

New allotment

Ah ok will leave them alone then and see what happens!Thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Blackburn

Making new raised bed

I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect most compost heaps get Rats as visitors, but worth wearing gloves when working the compost (weeding etc.) for a while until any pathogens (if there are any...
    I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect most compost heaps get Rats as visitors, but worth wearing gloves when working the compost (weeding etc.) for a while until any pathogens (if there are any ...) have died off.By the time any crops are harvested the risk will have gone.But ... I never put...
    I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect most compost heaps get Rats as visitors, but worth wearing gloves when working the compost (weeding etc.) for a while until any pathogens (if there are any ...) have died off.By the time any crops are...
    I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect most compost heaps get Rats as visitors, but worth wearing gloves when working the compost (weeding etc.) for a while until any pathogens (if there are any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. GMorris

Am I too late to start a 'No Dig' allotment?

Thank you! Now get yourself in front of the camera, please..you have lots to offer and share and 1000's would appreciate it if you did.A plot holder on our site has just spread a trailer full...
    Thank you! Now get yourself in front of the camera, please..you have lots to offer and share and 1000's would appreciate it if you did.A plot holder on our site has just spread a trailer full of the furnace waste yesterday, well he chucks it in and the Chickens spread it for him. Hoping I...
    Thank you! Now get yourself in front of the camera, please..you have lots to offer and share and 1000's would appreciate it if you did.A plot holder on our site has just spread a trailer full of the furnace waste yesterday, well he chucks it...
    Thank you! Now get yourself in front of the camera, please..you have lots to offer and share and 1000's would appreciate it if you did.A plot holder on our site has just spread a trailer full...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. stephenprudence
    Like x 6

Ready for Spring.

Nice and tidy Stephen, it will be a joy to work in that garden this year and no doubt bountiful crops too.Steve...:)
    Nice and tidy Stephen, it will be a joy to work in that garden this year and no doubt bountiful crops too.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Moley

Moley's Allotment Journey

Hats off to Marshalls for their customer service. Ordered this on Wednesday night with the expected delivery date of next Wednesday - only for it arrive first thing this morning. Will definitely...
    Hats off to Marshalls for their customer service. Ordered this on Wednesday night with the expected delivery date of next Wednesday - only for it arrive first thing this morning. Will definitely be using them again.
    Hats off to Marshalls for their customer service. Ordered this on Wednesday night with the expected delivery date of next Wednesday - only for it arrive first thing this morning. Will definitely be using them again.
    Hats off to Marshalls for their customer service. Ordered this on Wednesday night with the expected delivery date of next Wednesday - only for it arrive first thing this morning. Will definitely...
    allotment01.png allotment02.png allotment03.png 000034.jpg 000035.jpg after001.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jade86

New allotment rotten apple tree

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice