1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. stephenprudence
    Like x 9

The allotment this year

Ive been absent again haha. Well the space on my allotment is quite limited but I chose the one that is best (or was the best at the time I got it) for producing self pollinated fruit (although I...
    Ive been absent again haha. Well the space on my allotment is quite limited but I chose the one that is best (or was the best at the time I got it) for producing self pollinated fruit (although I use a paintbrush for pollination). It seems to work too, I have about 6 good size fruit on my plant...
    Ive been absent again haha. Well the space on my allotment is quite limited but I chose the one that is best (or was the best at the time I got it) for producing self pollinated fruit (although I use a paintbrush for pollination). It seems to...
    Ive been absent again haha. Well the space on my allotment is quite limited but I chose the one that is best (or was the best at the time I got it) for producing self pollinated fruit (although I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Nikolaos

Sawdust as a temporary weed-suppressing mulch

I wish you could get a crate of beer for a bag of sawdust over here,:biggrin: our stuff all goes for incineration, but most of it is hardwood dust which nobody seems to want.And it takes a long time to...
    I wish you could get a crate of beer for a bag of sawdust over here,:biggrin: our stuff all goes for incineration, but most of it is hardwood dust which nobody seems to want.And it takes a long time to rot down in the soil.Occasionally get the odd horsey person wanting a bag of softwood chippings,...
    I wish you could get a crate of beer for a bag of sawdust over here,:biggrin: our stuff all goes for incineration, but most of it is hardwood dust which nobody seems to want.And it takes a long time to rot down in the soil.Occasionally get the odd...
    I wish you could get a crate of beer for a bag of sawdust over here,:biggrin: our stuff all goes for incineration, but most of it is hardwood dust which nobody seems to want.And it takes a long time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. daitheplant
    Like x 3

Allotments

Mine is 145 sq metres and I only had to wait around a week. Mostly fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) but planning to add a small, pollinator-friendly ornamental area...
    Mine is 145 sq metres and I only had to wait around a week. Mostly fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) but planning to add a small, pollinator-friendly ornamental area eventually. Have just planted 2 rows of raspberries and will be adding a third soon. Also...
    Mine is 145 sq metres and I only had to wait around a week. Mostly fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) but planning to add a small, pollinator-friendly ornamental area eventually. Have just planted 2 rows of raspberries...
    Mine is 145 sq metres and I only had to wait around a week. Mostly fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) but planning to add a small, pollinator-friendly ornamental area...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. AndyS

Overgrown plot - how to get under control?

This maybe a good solution for you, have a look at my topic on "No Dig" here on this forum No DigIn particular, look at my last few posts on the second page of that topic where I show in...
    This maybe a good solution for you, have a look at my topic on "No Dig" here on this forum No DigIn particular, look at my last few posts on the second page of that topic where I show in photographs how bare ground or ground full of weed can be dealt with using "No Dig".The man championing...
    This maybe a good solution for you, have a look at my topic on "No Dig" here on this forum No DigIn particular, look at my last few posts on the second page of that topic where I show in photographs how bare ground or ground full of weed can be...
    This maybe a good solution for you, have a look at my topic on "No Dig" here on this forum No DigIn particular, look at my last few posts on the second page of that topic where I show in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. OxfordNick
    Like x 8

Nicks New allotment

Looks fantastic. Great that you have stuck with it and it will keep on getting better year after year!
    Looks fantastic. Great that you have stuck with it and it will keep on getting better year after year!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Steve R

WRAS back flow water valves

The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated water could then reach other taps which may not be a problem if everyone is just watering their plants,...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated water could then reach other taps which may not be a...
    The regs require double check valves at each tap point. The biggest risk on an allotment would be backflow from a hose left connected to a tap and the tap still left switched on. Contaminated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R

Forming and Allotment Association - 1st Meeting help!

Many thanks Dai, I have already looked around your site, the CAA site and many of the individual ones too. A great framework and umbrella awaiting to be used and added to. It should grow well and...
    Many thanks Dai, I have already looked around your site, the CAA site and many of the individual ones too. A great framework and umbrella awaiting to be used and added to. It should grow well and I hope it does. Allotments definitely need a voice in this changing modern world.Steve...:)
    Many thanks Dai, I have already looked around your site, the CAA site and many of the individual ones too. A great framework and umbrella awaiting to be used and added to. It should grow well and I hope it does. Allotments definitely need a voice...
    Many thanks Dai, I have already looked around your site, the CAA site and many of the individual ones too. A great framework and umbrella awaiting to be used and added to. It should grow well and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 7

Cut Flower Garden Project.

I knew it would be right, just my lack of knowledge. Three metres is quite impressive, I would love to try this one so yes please to some seeds and thank you.Steve...:)
    I knew it would be right, just my lack of knowledge. Three metres is quite impressive, I would love to try this one so yes please to some seeds and thank you.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Linz
    Like x 13

Linny's allotment

Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess Anne or how the IRA wanted to recruit him....sad...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of how he was in MI6 and also related to Princess...
    Have been neglecting the plot last 2 months.. bleedin kids. So got stuck in on Sat.. took up boards and planted onions and garlic. Wayne wonder next to me has left, no more will I hear stories of...
    20170206_123358.jpg 20170206_123412.jpg 20170206_123421.jpg 20170206_123458.jpg 20170206_123504.jpg 20170206_132038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R

Cut flower - Cosmos

I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have...
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed many plantings as being so much more stronger looking.
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed many plantings as being so much more...
    I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Jimb0b
    Like x 5

My allotment progress

Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby loves Asparagus but the trouble is it keeps you on...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the pic's as everything is maturing lovely...my hubby...
    Hello James, why don't you buy a small gazebo with sides to it mate if you have the room...we had a large blue one on our back for 5yrs and it was relaxing out of the heat :)Thanks for adding the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. thriftybri

tomato

To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the plot.Steve...:)
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now of course I grow mine in the polytunnel at the...
    To achieve deep planting in grow bags, cut them in half (the growbags that is!) and stand them on end, works well in a greenhouse and it is how I always planted mine in the greenhouse at home, Now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK

Cut flowers from seeds

This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one, so I got 12 pkts for just their £1.95 P&P charge...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a £5 voucher with every order to use on the next one,...
    This year I sowed all of my saved sweet pea seeds as they were saved some years ago, plus the T&M 'Chatsworth' I got for 16p/pkt when they were seriously reduced, on a multi-save and there was a...
    mypex sunflwr.png pt dafs.jpg pt tulip.jpg 20150305-P3050002.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1453657980595.jpg chatsworth.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. TrW

Allotment old pond as veg plot – abandon or continue

Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing as I have a high interest in food in...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening but have always been interested in vegetable growing...
    Hi all,My first post on this forum.Around September last year I took ownership of an allotment, which had been largely used for show rather than growing. I have zero experience of gardening...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. GrannyEllie

Shall I get an allotment?

I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in the summer.
    I think I've decided against. It's not the hard work that I'm worried about, it's just that I don't think I'll be able to commit to putting in the hours, especially when they're most needed in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tinker86
    Like x 3

Tinkers Allotment

More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I inherited some free roofing tiles so they came in...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.I...
    More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside...
    75007EC2-9D3E-4A78-8C8F-F7143348659A.jpeg DE337A08-D731-49E1-8F30-4814667304C2.jpeg 8B5F54E4-BF70-4F13-A6BA-1175245D7B49.jpeg 8E7FF086-2B0A-42C9-B2B6-C83D7AEE952E.jpeg 0A1C3F4A-BC38-4077-B6F8-A13D19FD7E29.jpeg FAA61004-A42B-4415-A317-3DB7673C19F4.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve R
    Like x 9

Recycled/Pallet Shed.

Steve, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Notty1975

Potatoes and manure

Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Brill thanks for that
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Notty1975

Filling raised beds

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Steve R

Admin fees and paper trails.

Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative (you) of a properly formed organisation. That's...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books and minutes if they have an official representative...
    Great news :blue thumb:. It's a good idea to have a representative of the 'Allotment Society' on their working group. Although they seem happy to have you on the group it looks much better on their books...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice