1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Chesterfieldgardener

Carrot Seeds

Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Can you remind me in 4 years, when I've possibly used up my current "stock" haha
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Gail_68
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Stevebeard

Planting raised beds

I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant - it will be a leaf crop one year (which will deplete...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help drainage enormously :blue thumb:.In terms of what to plant -...
    I have the same problem here - heavy clay soil - and installed raised flower beds to alleviate the problem.Would recommend at least breaking into the surface of the clay soil - this will help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.There needs to be...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Notty1975

Heating my greenhouse

Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Personally, I would want it clear so I could see out of it...even if the light is better through opaque.I have no idea which is best although I would think clear is.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Webmaster
    Funny x 4

A song for you all :D

Or at least Eurovision ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Tinker86

No Dig Approach

Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a big city, in my home garden, I have to turn it each...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am considering the no dig direction.But living in a...
    Good morning GCs very own celebrity hahaMy allotment plot as you can imagine, from previous tenants hard work feeding and turning the soil makes it a cracking medium. That's really why I am...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jimb0b

Had an offer

@Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets, eye protection, a strong mix of glyphosate and a...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:Nitrile gauntlets,...
    @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Linz

Green manure

phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. stephenprudence
    Like x 6

My allotment

I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot not just for the sole purpose of filling it with a...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really look like they work in terms of using the plot...
    I really love the none symmetry to the plot, although I'm sure this wasn't a rushed, throw some raised beds anywhere kind of job, but instead well thought out.The varied sizes and shapes really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Carllennon

How do I start?

Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is anything like old rhubarb or asparagus beds or soft...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example where bed edges and pathways are, if there is...
    Definitely strim it down now with a decent strimmer and talk to some of the plot holders whilst doing so.Doing both of these will help determine what is or was, where on the plot. For example...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 16

JackMcH's Allotment

Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much different. It's so dry the grass has only been cut...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only being about 10 miles away from me will be much...
    Glad everything bar the Brassicas are doing well @Jack McHammocklashing . Just as well you have a good water supply, we haven't had 1 drop of rain since the 1st week in March:yikes: and I doubt you only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. joolz68

Which Sweetcorn?

Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a unique sweet taste ..whether from tesco or aldi :)
    Not too far away from me they grow it every yr,i did have a good crop a few yr back but i cant remember which i grew :dunno: Tasted great though :) i dont have a sweet tooth but sweetcorn does have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Lee Herrington
    Like x 5

My Giant Marrow ( September 2016 )

Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Expensive ! Quality though. I saved seeds from the marrow in the pic so I'm hoping I can cross them again this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Denton Dave

Rotovator screaming

Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the manualsThanks Dave
    Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.Sandy, know what you mean about the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snorky85

Inherited an allotment and not sure what to do!

Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Thanks @Baymule I wish id not bothered as they were growing well. I've mounded up before when doing bags but never got many potatoes....id put it down to my old house having a very shady garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Snorky85

Late sowing of spring onions

First harvest of the spring onions for to ight duck/tofu and pancakes!
    IMG_5283.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice