1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 5

Compost mixes

:goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's hard work but we collect as many as we can and store them for 2 years before use. Sometimes as the...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's hard work but we collect as many as we can and store...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST - 2017

The paper I read Jack is about renewable energy only so I have no idea if Scotland is buying in 'energy' from elsewhere.
    The paper I read Jack is about renewable energy only so I have no idea if Scotland is buying in 'energy' from elsewhere.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting.. 2015

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. al n

liquid based feed, what is best?

I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's...
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's done- but man it stinks
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's done- but man it stinks
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

About John Innes Loam based Composts.. 2014 to 2015

Its pretty good stuff, if you like to grow things in mud.:biggrin:I find it very difficult to find any real good stuff. So usually end up mixing it with multipurpose to get a reasonable texture.
    Its pretty good stuff, if you like to grow things in mud.:biggrin:I find it very difficult to find any real good stuff. So usually end up mixing it with multipurpose to get a reasonable texture.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley
    Informative x 3

R.H.S. .. Know your Compost..... 2015

:SUNsmile: This a very good article which I am sure a lot of people will find interesting... :ideaIPB:Know Your Compost
    :SUNsmile: This a very good article which I am sure a lot of people will find interesting... :ideaIPB:Know Your Compost
    Replies:
    Views:
  8.   » Normal Threads
  9. rustyroots

Compost bin construction.

@rustyroots Maybe this thread will be of help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Sargan

Improving the soil

I just used 3 tonne of 10mm and 2 tonne of sharp sand in a land drainage job in another part of the site. Installed drainage crates and French drain herringbone collection array.
    I just used 3 tonne of 10mm and 2 tonne of sharp sand in a land drainage job in another part of the site. Installed drainage crates and French drain herringbone collection array.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kleftiwallah

Shredding official documents.

Oakridge - my apologies, I got it wrong - I have looked again and you are right they are Schizostylis. I have now seen the pink ones. I had never seen a white Schitzostylis before, and the colour...
    Oakridge - my apologies, I got it wrong - I have looked again and you are right they are Schizostylis. I have now seen the pink ones. I had never seen a white Schitzostylis before, and the colour made me think they were Chincherees, where white is the dominent colour.
    Oakridge - my apologies, I got it wrong - I have looked again and you are right they are Schizostylis. I have now seen the pink ones. I had never seen a white Schitzostylis before, and the colour made me think they were Chincherees, where white...
    Oakridge - my apologies, I got it wrong - I have looked again and you are right they are Schizostylis. I have now seen the pink ones. I had never seen a white Schitzostylis before, and the colour...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. philip

Collecting kitchen waste - fruit flies?

Keep waste away from your back door as the flies will settle on it, waiting for it to open and gain access to indoors.Wine fly traps are easily made using some small pots/jars with inverted...
    Keep waste away from your back door as the flies will settle on it, waiting for it to open and gain access to indoors.Wine fly traps are easily made using some small pots/jars with inverted cones of cardboard with a 10mm hole at the pointy end sitting in the necks and a small amount of...
    Keep waste away from your back door as the flies will settle on it, waiting for it to open and gain access to indoors.Wine fly traps are easily made using some small pots/jars with inverted cones of cardboard with a 10mm hole at the pointy end...
    Keep waste away from your back door as the flies will settle on it, waiting for it to open and gain access to indoors.Wine fly traps are easily made using some small pots/jars with inverted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jd67

Round Bins and leaves

I have some of those composters that I bought from the council and have tried both leaves and household waste in them but have found that because of the small size of them the stuff rots down but...
    I have some of those composters that I bought from the council and have tried both leaves and household waste in them but have found that because of the small size of them the stuff rots down but not as good as say a proper large square wooden compost bin.I have all but given up with mine...
    I have some of those composters that I bought from the council and have tried both leaves and household waste in them but have found that because of the small size of them the stuff rots down but not as good as say a proper large square wooden...
    I have some of those composters that I bought from the council and have tried both leaves and household waste in them but have found that because of the small size of them the stuff rots down but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. jay22

What to do with old compost?

Some I use to top up and "improve" the raised beds, some ends up mixed with garden soil in the bottom of pots the next year. A word of warning though if used in the flower garden avoid using it...
    Some I use to top up and "improve" the raised beds, some ends up mixed with garden soil in the bottom of pots the next year. A word of warning though if used in the flower garden avoid using it near rhododendrons, camellias, heathers etc.
    Some I use to top up and "improve" the raised beds, some ends up mixed with garden soil in the bottom of pots the next year. A word of warning though if used in the flower garden avoid using it near rhododendrons, camellias, heathers etc.
    Some I use to top up and "improve" the raised beds, some ends up mixed with garden soil in the bottom of pots the next year. A word of warning though if used in the flower garden avoid using it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. David E Peacock

Soil Prep for Rhododendrons . . . .

Thanks for that Pete!Are sulphur chips and sequestered iron items generally available from ones Garden Center or Nursery?
    Thanks for that Pete!Are sulphur chips and sequestered iron items generally available from ones Garden Center or Nursery?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Thomas2525

Got a worm city today just set it up

I have set up my worm city I have the 5 try with coir block and worm food and 1kg off tiger worms I have to wait 2 weeks befor adding stuff
    I have set up my worm city I have the 5 try with coir block and worm food and 1kg off tiger worms I have to wait 2 weeks befor adding stuff
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish

Banana Skin etc compost

I put Banananana skins under my tomatoes for the potassium, don't really need the calcium as any lime mortar and chalk waste from jobs goes onto the plot. Rhubarb loves it :spinning:
    I put Banananana skins under my tomatoes for the potassium, don't really need the calcium as any lime mortar and chalk waste from jobs goes onto the plot. Rhubarb loves it :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. blacktulip

Multi-purpose compost as soil conditioner?

I use a lot of horse manure from local farms and stables - all free as long as you collect.You may find that your local council dump sells bags of soil conditioner. It's usually cheaper than...
    I use a lot of horse manure from local farms and stables - all free as long as you collect.You may find that your local council dump sells bags of soil conditioner. It's usually cheaper than compost and is good for conditioning clay soil. Their soil conditioner is from the green waste that...
    I use a lot of horse manure from local farms and stables - all free as long as you collect.You may find that your local council dump sells bags of soil conditioner. It's usually cheaper than compost and is good for conditioning clay soil. ...
    I use a lot of horse manure from local farms and stables - all free as long as you collect.You may find that your local council dump sells bags of soil conditioner. It's usually cheaper than...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. honeybunny

Apple Cider Vinergar As Fertiliser?

No idea what the NPK ratio is and good luck searching for it lol it is cheap though (just under €5 for a litre bottle) especially considering you'll only be adding a table spoon or two to a full...
    No idea what the NPK ratio is and good luck searching for it lol it is cheap though (just under €5 for a litre bottle) especially considering you'll only be adding a table spoon or two to a full watering can. i will definitely continue to use it on my potted ericaceous plants, we always have a...
    No idea what the NPK ratio is and good luck searching for it lol it is cheap though (just under €5 for a litre bottle) especially considering you'll only be adding a table spoon or two to a full watering can. i will definitely continue to use it...
    No idea what the NPK ratio is and good luck searching for it lol it is cheap though (just under €5 for a litre bottle) especially considering you'll only be adding a table spoon or two to a full...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Aidan mc

compost too strong/rich possibility??

Hi, I have set up a raised bed using a compost made from 40% food waste, 40% green, 20% fish waste and another raised bed using really well rotted manure. Ive some veg planted, rocket, broccoli,...
    Hi, I have set up a raised bed using a compost made from 40% food waste, 40% green, 20% fish waste and another raised bed using really well rotted manure. Ive some veg planted, rocket, broccoli, cabbage. The veg in the manure bed seem to be doing nicely but in the other bed growth is slower but...
    Hi, I have set up a raised bed using a compost made from 40% food waste, 40% green, 20% fish waste and another raised bed using really well rotted manure. Ive some veg planted, rocket, broccoli, cabbage. The veg in the manure bed seem to be...
    Hi, I have set up a raised bed using a compost made from 40% food waste, 40% green, 20% fish waste and another raised bed using really well rotted manure. Ive some veg planted, rocket, broccoli,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Andy567

A Watched Compost Pile Never Heats Up?

Thanks Dave :) Yes i actually have a womery in the garage. I haven't tried getting them to eat the grass though, i figured it would be too hot for them as it heated up :) I could give that a go...
    Thanks Dave :) Yes i actually have a womery in the garage. I haven't tried getting them to eat the grass though, i figured it would be too hot for them as it heated up :) I could give that a go though for sure thanks :) i just wish i could kill the grass seeds with it :(
    Thanks Dave :) Yes i actually have a womery in the garage. I haven't tried getting them to eat the grass though, i figured it would be too hot for them as it heated up :) I could give that a go though for sure thanks :) i just wish i could kill the...
    Thanks Dave :) Yes i actually have a womery in the garage. I haven't tried getting them to eat the grass though, i figured it would be too hot for them as it heated up :) I could give that a go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Magnus

About to making my own compost in a few days

I've found that when turning the heap some tiny baby worms appear to be nesting in the folds of cardboard, so I think it does help. Good luck Magnus
    I've found that when turning the heap some tiny baby worms appear to be nesting in the folds of cardboard, so I think it does help. Good luck Magnus
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. auldreekie

Blood Fish & Bonemeal

I suppose if you are going to keep the veg trug planted with something throughout the winter as well then it wouldn't hurt to add a little in the Autumn. Otherwise, I wouldn't add any more until...
    I suppose if you are going to keep the veg trug planted with something throughout the winter as well then it wouldn't hurt to add a little in the Autumn. Otherwise, I wouldn't add any more until next Spring.
    I suppose if you are going to keep the veg trug planted with something throughout the winter as well then it wouldn't hurt to add a little in the Autumn. Otherwise, I wouldn't add any more until next Spring.
    I suppose if you are going to keep the veg trug planted with something throughout the winter as well then it wouldn't hurt to add a little in the Autumn. Otherwise, I wouldn't add any more until...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Lucy.P

Sawdust?

I forget a lot of things nowadays :sad: :old:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. marley028

How do I improve the workability of clay soil?

I was very surprised at how much it had decomposed
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. JackJJW

Online suppliers of compost and manure?

I used compost direct for a bulk bag of mulch which was pretty good.Not sure if they go out as far as you but there also thecompostcentre which is up the road from me (but sometime have long...
    I used compost direct for a bulk bag of mulch which was pretty good.Not sure if they go out as far as you but there also thecompostcentre which is up the road from me (but sometime have long lead times)
    I used compost direct for a bulk bag of mulch which was pretty good.Not sure if they go out as far as you but there also thecompostcentre which is up the road from me (but sometime have long lead times)
    I used compost direct for a bulk bag of mulch which was pretty good.Not sure if they go out as far as you but there also thecompostcentre which is up the road from me (but sometime have long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Lucy.P

Compost and mold

I'd just put it straight on the soil where you want it. It will work well as a mulch and won't hinder any compost when you spread that. No need to do two separate jobs of putting it with the...
    I'd just put it straight on the soil where you want it. It will work well as a mulch and won't hinder any compost when you spread that. No need to do two separate jobs of putting it with the compost and then spreading. Anything for an easier life! :blue thumb: :)
    I'd just put it straight on the soil where you want it. It will work well as a mulch and won't hinder any compost when you spread that. No need to do two separate jobs of putting it with the compost and then spreading. Anything for an easier...
    I'd just put it straight on the soil where you want it. It will work well as a mulch and won't hinder any compost when you spread that. No need to do two separate jobs of putting it with the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Amadeo

Which compost to use?

I've not used this Amadeo but reading the back of the bag I don't see that it would be a problem. I would imagine the fertiliser only releases after watering so won't be continuous. However, I...
    I've not used this Amadeo but reading the back of the bag I don't see that it would be a problem. I would imagine the fertiliser only releases after watering so won't be continuous. However, I advise that you don't use any other fertiliser as well, what the pack contains will be enough. If you...
    I've not used this Amadeo but reading the back of the bag I don't see that it would be a problem. I would imagine the fertiliser only releases after watering so won't be continuous. However, I advise that you don't use any other fertiliser as...
    I've not used this Amadeo but reading the back of the bag I don't see that it would be a problem. I would imagine the fertiliser only releases after watering so won't be continuous. However, I...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options