1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST - 2017

I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been...
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been disappointed by
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been disappointed by
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R
    Like x 5

Compost mixes

:goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's hard work but we collect as many as we can and store them for 2 years before use. Sometimes as the...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's hard work but we collect as many as we can and store...
    :goodpost: Great to see someone expounding the virtues of leaf mould in such an informative and useful way. Being fortunate to have massive trees we are up to our eyeballs every Autumn with leaves. It's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting.. 2015

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. al n

liquid based feed, what is best?

I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's...
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's done- but man it stinks
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's done- but man it stinks
    I make homemade seaweed tea with bladderwrack collect a bin bag from my local beach give it a good wash then I spread over my lawn and go over it the my mower into a water butt month later it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Marley Farley

About John Innes Loam based Composts.. 2014 to 2015

Its pretty good stuff, if you like to grow things in mud.:biggrin:I find it very difficult to find any real good stuff. So usually end up mixing it with multipurpose to get a reasonable texture.
    Its pretty good stuff, if you like to grow things in mud.:biggrin:I find it very difficult to find any real good stuff. So usually end up mixing it with multipurpose to get a reasonable texture.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley
    Informative x 3

R.H.S. .. Know your Compost..... 2015

:SUNsmile: This a very good article which I am sure a lot of people will find interesting... :ideaIPB:Know Your Compost
    :SUNsmile: This a very good article which I am sure a lot of people will find interesting... :ideaIPB:Know Your Compost
    Replies:
    Views:
  8.   » Normal Threads
  9. clanless
    Like x 4

And here it is....

Somebody in our village who's moving away shortly gave us dozens of pallets on condition we also took away £150's worth of cut/split logs.
    Somebody in our village who's moving away shortly gave us dozens of pallets on condition we also took away £150's worth of cut/split logs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Greecko

Fresh Manure Compost

Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha!...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha! I know Ill get more out of it but was thinking of being lazy.I can get the manure regularly and...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha! I know Ill get more out of it but was thinking...
    Cheers for the photos Steve, I plan on doing mine much the same I hope, have tin sheets about the place and could grab a few pallets and stuff too if needs be.Spoken like a true engineer haha!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. larkstar

Will kiln dried sand (from newly relaid block paving/patio) spoil soil?

As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil that had a more than a dusting of sand on it - to make it easier I just flattened the surface first by...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil that had a more than a dusting of sand on it - to...
    As I had 2 tons of topsoil delivered - 1 from Rolawn (beds and borders) and 1 from "fieldcompost" I had enough left over from filling 2 raised beds to allow me to scrape off some of the topsoil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Irmemac

Mouldy Compost?

I'm with @pete on this. It was only on the top if I understand correctly? I've found several branded composts to be prone to this if they dry out, both in the bag and in the pot. I put it down...
    I'm with @pete on this. It was only on the top if I understand correctly? I've found several branded composts to be prone to this if they dry out, both in the bag and in the pot. I put it down to 'calcification' (for want of a better word) of the additives that are put in by way of feed. If...
    I'm with @pete on this. It was only on the top if I understand correctly? I've found several branded composts to be prone to this if they dry out, both in the bag and in the pot. I put it down to 'calcification' (for want of a better word) of...
    I'm with @pete on this. It was only on the top if I understand correctly? I've found several branded composts to be prone to this if they dry out, both in the bag and in the pot. I put it down...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sandy Ground

Using cuttings from conifers

I usually get enough to fill a Ford Transit. Is that enough for you? :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Composting info please

You could use it as mulch as it is :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. 2nd_bassoon

What to do with all the soil?!

You're most welcome.:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sally Parker

Well Rotted Horse Manure, now or in Spring??

Autumn for me too. Agree, manure is all about feeding the soil and adding structure to it. Quite different to fertiliser :)
    Autumn for me too. Agree, manure is all about feeding the soil and adding structure to it. Quite different to fertiliser :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Andy567

A Watched Compost Pile Never Heats Up?

Hi Dave! How did the Dalek bins become worm bins?
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Scrungee

Things that get into the compost

Looks like a Cyclamen to me @Zigs :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. kyleleonard

My Leaf Mould

Mine's only in a tiny food waste bin, have to keep reminding the parents not to chuck it out!I don't know when I'll use it. We're (trying) to buy our first house right now, so maybe when I get...
    Mine's only in a tiny food waste bin, have to keep reminding the parents not to chuck it out!I don't know when I'll use it. We're (trying) to buy our first house right now, so maybe when I get a garden I'll use it then.
    Mine's only in a tiny food waste bin, have to keep reminding the parents not to chuck it out!I don't know when I'll use it. We're (trying) to buy our first house right now, so maybe when I get a garden I'll use it then.
    Mine's only in a tiny food waste bin, have to keep reminding the parents not to chuck it out!I don't know when I'll use it. We're (trying) to buy our first house right now, so maybe when I get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Mike77

Green Manure Question

I think Nigel has hit the nail on the head.I wouldn't have thought that green manure (of whatever type of plant) would be any good for your purposes.I've used field beans to break up my clay...
    I think Nigel has hit the nail on the head.I wouldn't have thought that green manure (of whatever type of plant) would be any good for your purposes.I've used field beans to break up my clay soil - they need to be dug in before they flower.They did look quite attractive and grew quickly -...
    I think Nigel has hit the nail on the head.I wouldn't have thought that green manure (of whatever type of plant) would be any good for your purposes.I've used field beans to break up my clay soil - they need to be dug in before they...
    I think Nigel has hit the nail on the head.I wouldn't have thought that green manure (of whatever type of plant) would be any good for your purposes.I've used field beans to break up my clay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. exlabman

Yeast in compost?

You could make marmite with it :)Should be fine on the compost, but better in a leafmold bin :autlvs:
    You could make marmite with it :)Should be fine on the compost, but better in a leafmold bin :autlvs:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Thomas2525

Got a worm city today just set it up

Hi, Good luck, hope you read the book with it. I've had mine a couple of years now and it seems to work well. Much slower than I expected and not much output, although quicker in the summer. I put...
    Hi, Good luck, hope you read the book with it. I've had mine a couple of years now and it seems to work well. Much slower than I expected and not much output, although quicker in the summer. I put very little in once temperature drops. The tap at the bottom gets clogged leading me to think there...
    Hi, Good luck, hope you read the book with it. I've had mine a couple of years now and it seems to work well. Much slower than I expected and not much output, although quicker in the summer. I put very little in once temperature drops. The tap at...
    Hi, Good luck, hope you read the book with it. I've had mine a couple of years now and it seems to work well. Much slower than I expected and not much output, although quicker in the summer. I put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Fathead

Bins and Composting

Pffff...bonfires are not allowed! (Officially :th scifD36:) And I'll have you know that my pommes de terre don't have blight :yahoo: This is because they never got planted :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Pffff...bonfires are not allowed! (Officially :th scifD36:) And I'll have you know that my pommes de terre don't have blight :yahoo: This is because they never got planted :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Fathead

Browns question

Egg boxes are good, not sure about the cat-food ones - wouldn't use these if the cardboard has a glossy finish.Try finding some discarded boxes next time you go to the supermarket. That's...
    Egg boxes are good, not sure about the cat-food ones - wouldn't use these if the cardboard has a glossy finish.Try finding some discarded boxes next time you go to the supermarket. That's what I do - white as well as brown, so long as they're dull rather than shiny card. The shelf-stackers...
    Egg boxes are good, not sure about the cat-food ones - wouldn't use these if the cardboard has a glossy finish.Try finding some discarded boxes next time you go to the supermarket. That's what I do - white as well as brown, so long as...
    Egg boxes are good, not sure about the cat-food ones - wouldn't use these if the cardboard has a glossy finish.Try finding some discarded boxes next time you go to the supermarket. That's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Zigs
    Like x 4

Started sorting out the compost corner

Is this something to do with your latest off grid electricty generator?
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. TheMadHedger

What's a good general purpose liquid fertiliser for hanging baskets?

Thank you all. :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Poly Hive

Compost failure

Also, don't forget to put your contents of your vacuum bag in the compost bin.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. honeybunny

Apple Cider Vinergar As Fertiliser?

Hi HB,I know its an old post but thought this might interest you and others.I was planting some blueberries and using cider vinergar to reduce the acidity of my tap water for them.Using an...
    Hi HB,I know its an old post but thought this might interest you and others.I was planting some blueberries and using cider vinergar to reduce the acidity of my tap water for them.Using an ebay £6 PH pen type meter ( checked ok against a friends £100+ PH meter ) I found that just 1/2 a...
    Hi HB,I know its an old post but thought this might interest you and others.I was planting some blueberries and using cider vinergar to reduce the acidity of my tap water for them.Using an ebay £6 PH pen type meter ( checked ok against a ...
    Hi HB,I know its an old post but thought this might interest you and others.I was planting some blueberries and using cider vinergar to reduce the acidity of my tap water for them.Using an...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options