1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting..

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Best supplier of compost 2024

There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping Barnet. The second reading is due on the 26th April it looks like it will not go unopposed.Link...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping Barnet. The second reading is due on the 26th...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Steve R

Hot Composting - The Berkeley Method

Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Marley Farley

Best supplier of Compost 2015/2016

I'm still using Wickes own brand. It's not too bad this season :blue thumb: I've just collected my latest batch and that makes us having bought over 5,000 litres this year :hate-shocked:. Some of the cost has been...
    I'm still using Wickes own brand. It's not too bad this season :blue thumb: I've just collected my latest batch and that makes us having bought over 5,000 litres this year :hate-shocked:. Some of the cost has been recouped from the sale of plants :blue thumb:
    I'm still using Wickes own brand. It's not too bad this season :blue thumb: I've just collected my latest batch and that makes us having bought over 5,000 litres this year :hate-shocked:. Some of the cost has been recouped from the sale of plants :blue thumb:
    I'm still using Wickes own brand. It's not too bad this season :blue thumb: I've just collected my latest batch and that makes us having bought over 5,000 litres this year :hate-shocked:. Some of the cost has been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fat Controller

Mixing sharp sand into compost?

"without any additives" I suggestion using "Horticultural soap" which is more suitable for use on plants. However ... it ain't "cheap" :(
    "without any additives" I suggestion using "Horticultural soap" which is more suitable for use on plants. However ... it ain't "cheap" :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Louise

What needs manure?

Thanks from me too.
    Thanks from me too.
    Thanks from me too.
    Thanks from me too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. alana

Ants in the Compost

I'm not messing with them, i've seen the filum :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST 2018

Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders every year and it take time for it to work it's way down into the soil even with digging. Nature...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders every year and it take time for it to work it's...
    Well, up to 3" inches should be fine.:dunno: Getting more life into a border will not be solved instantly with a heavy dose of compost although it is a step forward. I add used compost on the borders...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Hannah's Rose Garden

has anyone used strulch?

Ha ha yes 3 of them sneaked into my coop while I was having my lunch and I'd left the back door open............cheeky girls
    Ha ha yes 3 of them sneaked into my coop while I was having my lunch and I'd left the back door open............cheeky girls
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wiseowl

Best Supplier Of Compost 2023

Link to new threadBest supplier of compost 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. OxfordNick

Compost for potting on Palms

... and here is another article about using the worm castings with rockdust in pots: snip: Compost / Growing media applications Always use Angus VermiCompost with Revive Volcanic Minerals...
    ... and here is another article about using the worm castings with rockdust in pots: snip: Compost / Growing media applications Always use Angus VermiCompost with Revive Volcanic Minerals in non-soil based growing media [commonly, but not always accurately, referred to as compost]. For...
    ... and here is another article about using the worm castings with rockdust in pots: snip: Compost / Growing media applications Always use Angus VermiCompost with Revive Volcanic Minerals in non-soil based growing media [commonly, but not...
    ... and here is another article about using the worm castings with rockdust in pots: snip: Compost / Growing media applications Always use Angus VermiCompost with Revive Volcanic Minerals...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HBK

Why must cutting compost be used?

I bought some cutting compost once and only once. It seemed to me to be grittier and more finely sieved than multi purpose and a good deal more expensive.Never bought any since, i always use...
    I bought some cutting compost once and only once. It seemed to me to be grittier and more finely sieved than multi purpose and a good deal more expensive.Never bought any since, i always use multi purpose these days and it seems to work fine for me.
    I bought some cutting compost once and only once. It seemed to me to be grittier and more finely sieved than multi purpose and a good deal more expensive.Never bought any since, i always use multi purpose these days and it seems to work fine...
    I bought some cutting compost once and only once. It seemed to me to be grittier and more finely sieved than multi purpose and a good deal more expensive.Never bought any since, i always use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Poolcue

Potatoes and chicken manure pellets

Its an organic product specific for spuds, I've had good success with it over the years.I thought spuds needed high K fertiliser? For example, lots of folk line potato planting trenches with...
    Its an organic product specific for spuds, I've had good success with it over the years.I thought spuds needed high K fertiliser? For example, lots of folk line potato planting trenches with Comfrey leaves, also high in Potash ...
    Its an organic product specific for spuds, I've had good success with it over the years.I thought spuds needed high K fertiliser? For example, lots of folk line potato planting trenches with Comfrey leaves, also high in Potash ...
    Its an organic product specific for spuds, I've had good success with it over the years.I thought spuds needed high K fertiliser? For example, lots of folk line potato planting trenches with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. rustyroots

Aldi compost.

B n Q , Jack , B n Q :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. clueless1

My compost bin is full - What now?

A small dust bin would be ideal Kirsten and on my list.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. blacksmith

Rock Dust

That is pretty much what I had in mind. Although it would also mean having the same plants in both areas, which could be difficult as I have several micro-climates and slightly different soil...
    That is pretty much what I had in mind. Although it would also mean having the same plants in both areas, which could be difficult as I have several micro-climates and slightly different soil conditions in my garden.I expect that if I used just 1 bed or border and divided it there would be...
    That is pretty much what I had in mind. Although it would also mean having the same plants in both areas, which could be difficult as I have several micro-climates and slightly different soil conditions in my garden.I expect that if I used...
    That is pretty much what I had in mind. Although it would also mean having the same plants in both areas, which could be difficult as I have several micro-climates and slightly different soil...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. shiney

Best Supplier Of Compost 2021

2022 thread : Best Supplier Of Compost 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. dan_uk_1984

Can Bark Be Composted?

You have just reminded me that some time ago I went with a friend to a saw mill to get some bark chippings. They were charging 50p per container of any size!All the bark had been removed from...
    You have just reminded me that some time ago I went with a friend to a saw mill to get some bark chippings. They were charging 50p per container of any size!All the bark had been removed from the trees and put into a massive pile 100 feet long and 20 feet high. You could hardly see the pile...
    You have just reminded me that some time ago I went with a friend to a saw mill to get some bark chippings. They were charging 50p per container of any size!All the bark had been removed from the trees and put into a massive pile 100 feet...
    You have just reminded me that some time ago I went with a friend to a saw mill to get some bark chippings. They were charging 50p per container of any size!All the bark had been removed from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ARMANDII

BEST SUPPLIER OF COMPOST - 2017

I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been...
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been disappointed by
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been disappointed by
    I can get 40L bags for £2 here so gave it a try, Budgens are selling it. I hadn't heard of it before either but was pleasantly surprised. I must have most other compost this year I've been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. WillieBee

Can you put a pile of old apples on a compost heap

I'd leave where they are for the local wildlife, they need all the help they can get.
    I'd leave where they are for the local wildlife, they need all the help they can get.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. JWK
    Like x 7

Wickes Multi-Purpose vs Westland John Innes

Mrs Plant Potty is very understanding :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. kamchow

horticultural grit

Mine too, but 30 minutes after the rain the standing water has gone, except rarely when it has been very wet for weeks ... If you have standing water for more than 30 minutes after rain stops,...
    Mine too, but 30 minutes after the rain the standing water has gone, except rarely when it has been very wet for weeks ... If you have standing water for more than 30 minutes after rain stops, and in times when it has not been raining for really prolonged periods (like this summer), then you...
    Mine too, but 30 minutes after the rain the standing water has gone, except rarely when it has been very wet for weeks ... If you have standing water for more than 30 minutes after rain stops, and in times when it has not been raining for...
    Mine too, but 30 minutes after the rain the standing water has gone, except rarely when it has been very wet for weeks ... If you have standing water for more than 30 minutes after rain stops,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice