1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Loki

Begonias

As Wee Tam , I lift and store my Begonia tubers in November. Rejecting any soft ones. I find on replanting indoors , mid March , about 75% will restart.
    As Wee Tam , I lift and store my Begonia tubers in November. Rejecting any soft ones. I find on replanting indoors , mid March , about 75% will restart.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. navigator88

Big balcony planters - what to plant?

I would stay away from putting any water retaining gel in any compost as it has been shown that the gels, manufactured as polymers, are biodegradable. They are not a long-term solution to water...
    I would stay away from putting any water retaining gel in any compost as it has been shown that the gels, manufactured as polymers, are biodegradable. They are not a long-term solution to water management. Their breakdown can release potentially damaging by-products into your soil. Regards sandy
    I would stay away from putting any water retaining gel in any compost as it has been shown that the gels, manufactured as polymers, are biodegradable. They are not a long-term solution to water management. Their breakdown can release potentially...
    I would stay away from putting any water retaining gel in any compost as it has been shown that the gels, manufactured as polymers, are biodegradable. They are not a long-term solution to water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Plowii

Problems with my Bay Tree

Update: After a lull in activity, one of the shoots is opening it's top leaf bud. I will try to post a photo or two tomorrow. The growth activity is quite noticeable.My AC power adaptor has...
    Update: After a lull in activity, one of the shoots is opening it's top leaf bud. I will try to post a photo or two tomorrow. The growth activity is quite noticeable.My AC power adaptor has arrived for the camera now, so daily battery changes are no longer required. I have switched lens to...
    Update: After a lull in activity, one of the shoots is opening it's top leaf bud. I will try to post a photo or two tomorrow. The growth activity is quite noticeable.My AC power adaptor has arrived for the camera now, so daily battery...
    Update: After a lull in activity, one of the shoots is opening it's top leaf bud. I will try to post a photo or two tomorrow. The growth activity is quite noticeable.My AC power adaptor has...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Howard Stone

Help! How do I get a dead plant out of its pot without breaking myself or the pot?

The worst pots are those with the sort of fruit mouldings around the top. The soil gets into the mould and makes thing really difficult.
    The worst pots are those with the sort of fruit mouldings around the top. The soil gets into the mould and makes thing really difficult.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Howard Stone

Camellias with good shape and foliage in containers

Nigel my friend. As one scientist to another..'Yikes'. Growing plants in containers isn't all that bad. As a plant pathologist & plant scientist, (most confusing combination). Without delving...
    Nigel my friend. As one scientist to another..'Yikes'. Growing plants in containers isn't all that bad. As a plant pathologist & plant scientist, (most confusing combination). Without delving into the depths of botanical science. Hells bells here we go again. Science. Who the hell...
    Nigel my friend. As one scientist to another..'Yikes'. Growing plants in containers isn't all that bad. As a plant pathologist & plant scientist, (most confusing combination). Without delving into the depths of botanical science. Hells bells...
    Nigel my friend. As one scientist to another..'Yikes'. Growing plants in containers isn't all that bad. As a plant pathologist & plant scientist, (most confusing combination). Without delving...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Delta

Best container small shrub for bees?

Sedums for bees in late summer! Not a shrub, but very easy to grow and manage - and quite a good variety to choose from :) .... to take over when the lavender is finished :blue thumb:
    Sedums for bees in late summer! Not a shrub, but very easy to grow and manage - and quite a good variety to choose from :) .... to take over when the lavender is finished :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. The Early Bushman

Soil sinking after watering

Jiffy, not that firm :)It does depend on the soil but soil sinking by 2.5 inches after watering does suggest it is not firm enough.
    Jiffy, not that firm :)It does depend on the soil but soil sinking by 2.5 inches after watering does suggest it is not firm enough.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. totalwise
    Like x 5

Strawberry tower questions

Strawberries can be grown in fully hydroponic conditions so the issue probably isn't due to the soil itself but rather that the low quanity of soil dries out quickly. I have noticed with my tower...
    Strawberries can be grown in fully hydroponic conditions so the issue probably isn't due to the soil itself but rather that the low quanity of soil dries out quickly. I have noticed with my tower than I need to water it every day. Will need to invest in a water pump of some sort that will water...
    Strawberries can be grown in fully hydroponic conditions so the issue probably isn't due to the soil itself but rather that the low quanity of soil dries out quickly. I have noticed with my tower than I need to water it every day. Will need to...
    Strawberries can be grown in fully hydroponic conditions so the issue probably isn't due to the soil itself but rather that the low quanity of soil dries out quickly. I have noticed with my tower...
    strawberry planter.jpg Image0015.JPG planter 2.jpg runner pots.JPG 20180801_164151.jpg 20180801_164128.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jane Lee

Overwintering container grown Euphorbia

Hello @Jane Lee :sign0016: to GC and nice to have you with us :)Your in excellent hands with Verdun as his garden and plants are out standing to the eye :love30:
    Hello @Jane Lee :sign0016: to GC and nice to have you with us :)Your in excellent hands with Verdun as his garden and plants are out standing to the eye :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lottie222

Annuals (Window Box) Help Please?

Hello stranger ;)...looks like some form of fungus to me anyway but get a clean cloth and add some milk to it and wipe the leaf to see if it is dust first Lottie :)
    Hello stranger ;)...looks like some form of fungus to me anyway but get a clean cloth and add some milk to it and wipe the leaf to see if it is dust first Lottie :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Freddy

Unusual Basket

HI Freddy yes there made from plastic, i have a welder and a ring roller i might make one/two at some point.
    HI Freddy yes there made from plastic, i have a welder and a ring roller i might make one/two at some point.
    Capture.PNG a.PNG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kazzawazza

A sad Paeonia Sorbet

A couple of broken stems are not a problem, kazza:dunno: A Peony is a long lived Hardy Perrenial and so is a long term plant in anyone's garden. Give it some TLC and it will outlast you!!!:heehee:
    A couple of broken stems are not a problem, kazza:dunno: A Peony is a long lived Hardy Perrenial and so is a long term plant in anyone's garden. Give it some TLC and it will outlast you!!!:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. garjobo79

Dynamic, leafy plants for containers - just like the ones on the telly

No it is not......... I`m more of an Olive Oyl actually. Here is a really good likeness of me on a good day - ready to get on with it :yes:
    No it is not......... I`m more of an Olive Oyl actually. Here is a really good likeness of me on a good day - ready to get on with it :yes:
    upload_2018-6-27_20-14-40.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. adam lukins

A level design ideas

modular wall planter with integrated water irrigation
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lottie222

Brown blackberry leaves?

I will indeed :)Is it Scrungee? I have ZERO idea!
    1E6CF259-66AB-4456-9E92-59411D29CD95.jpeg frosted.jpg 35645600_10155334885336150_6518101024777961472_n.jpg 35645600_10155334885336150_6518101024777961472_n.jpg 35645600_10155334885336150_6518101024777961472_n.jpg 35653255_10155336279156150_5579808678153814016_n.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Lottie222

Lasagne Planting Spring Bulbs?

I did this, Queen of the night Tulips at the bottom, random tulips in the middle, then Tete a Tete on top, lovely show from t&t, then the tulips, dont recall seeing QoN, reminded me pot needs...
    I did this, Queen of the night Tulips at the bottom, random tulips in the middle, then Tete a Tete on top, lovely show from t&t, then the tulips, dont recall seeing QoN, reminded me pot needs sorting as all died back now, did it for expediency really as bought a load from Wilkos at end of season...
    I did this, Queen of the night Tulips at the bottom, random tulips in the middle, then Tete a Tete on top, lovely show from t&t, then the tulips, dont recall seeing QoN, reminded me pot needs sorting as all died back now, did it for expediency...
    I did this, Queen of the night Tulips at the bottom, random tulips in the middle, then Tete a Tete on top, lovely show from t&t, then the tulips, dont recall seeing QoN, reminded me pot needs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. clanless

Coco liners for hanging baskets - top tip

Wow that's a huge difference!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. hydrogardener
    Like x 3

Zucchini in containers.

Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30...
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30 liters or so. But I will go with the higher volume just in case.
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30 liters or so. But I will go with the higher volume...
    Thanks so much for getting back to me!I just checked and they say your planter is around 1,5 cubic feet in volume, so 40 liters. Someone said 25 quarts, which is actually less than that, 30...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. totalwise
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Alpine 1

Cytisus dwarf (broom)- flower dropping

All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them very small and black and when they bit you it caused swelling but all plants have now been replaced, so...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them very small and black and when they bit you it caused...
    All I can say hopefully next year you get the success you need with the plant as bonsai they look gorgeous I always think...i'm pleased I removed my 5 out, they had some form of insect on them...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options