1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Selleri
    Like x 3

Summer containers 2021/2022 ideas?

Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his partner. The other two followed us back to the UK....
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Debs64

The dreaded vine weevil

Today I took 32 grubs out of one medium sized pot. I think I need those nematodes!
    Today I took 32 grubs out of one medium sized pot. I think I need those nematodes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. BB3

Straggly trailing verbena

Right then. When this cold shower has passed, I’m going out there with my pruning shears and some feed.
    Right then. When this cold shower has passed, I’m going out there with my pruning shears and some feed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Tiny Clanger

Ants causing bare patches in my lawn, how can

It's a bit early in the year for it to be ants.Have you got a dog?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nikolaos

Growing Juniperus communis 'Compressa' in a container

Yep, sorry about the thread resurrection. Hadn't noticed the dates!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jblakes

Year round plants

Not yet grown Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin or it's numerous varieties (of which we've a few) in container yet. Little Red Robin might be good - smallest variety, long time span with red leaves,...
    Not yet grown Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin or it's numerous varieties (of which we've a few) in container yet. Little Red Robin might be good - smallest variety, long time span with red leaves, nice dark older leaves. Clip it to a form you like. Not particularly dense, until it gets more...
    Not yet grown Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin or it's numerous varieties (of which we've a few) in container yet. Little Red Robin might be good - smallest variety, long time span with red leaves, nice dark older leaves. Clip it to a form you...
    Not yet grown Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin or it's numerous varieties (of which we've a few) in container yet. Little Red Robin might be good - smallest variety, long time span with red leaves,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. misterQ

Growing Morello Cherry in pots

Gosh your write up and pictures made me smile ! how interesting to achieve such a lovely healthy Morello Tree after all your care and attention not read or seen on the TV anything like what you've...
    Gosh your write up and pictures made me smile ! how interesting to achieve such a lovely healthy Morello Tree after all your care and attention not read or seen on the TV anything like what you've achieved in your garden, Well done !.
    Gosh your write up and pictures made me smile ! how interesting to achieve such a lovely healthy Morello Tree after all your care and attention not read or seen on the TV anything like what you've achieved in your garden, Well done !.
    Gosh your write up and pictures made me smile ! how interesting to achieve such a lovely healthy Morello Tree after all your care and attention not read or seen on the TV anything like what you've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. KT53

Anybody seen my Hostas?

I hadn't realised that Siberian Tiger was a new variety. That explains why it's comparatively expensive on some sites. Most of the hostas I've bought this year have been well under a tenner.
    I hadn't realised that Siberian Tiger was a new variety. That explains why it's comparatively expensive on some sites. Most of the hostas I've bought this year have been well under a tenner.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Debs64

Poleanthus the pearl growing tips

I've just ordered three, so we will see what happens, I hope they flower as the scent is really overpowering in the evenings.
    I've just ordered three, so we will see what happens, I hope they flower as the scent is really overpowering in the evenings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Markymark

Euphorbia cut back?

I cut back a load of the very small one that's quite invasive @pete [can't remember the name] a few years ago. I was very careful gloves etc, but I'd obviously wiped the corner of an eye - with...
    I cut back a load of the very small one that's quite invasive @pete [can't remember the name] a few years ago. I was very careful gloves etc, but I'd obviously wiped the corner of an eye - with the glove on. Had to go to the doc... Fortunately, it cleared up quite quickly.
    I cut back a load of the very small one that's quite invasive @pete [can't remember the name] a few years ago. I was very careful gloves etc, but I'd obviously wiped the corner of an eye - with the glove on. Had to go to the doc... Fortunately,...
    I cut back a load of the very small one that's quite invasive @pete [can't remember the name] a few years ago. I was very careful gloves etc, but I'd obviously wiped the corner of an eye - with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. misterQ
    Like x 5

Buddleja "tree" in a pot

This is why location is a factor B.[/USER] The seed would struggle to be viable and then germinate and grow over winter conditions here. People often moan about the amount of Verbena bonariensis...
    This is why location is a factor B.[/USER] The seed would struggle to be viable and then germinate and grow over winter conditions here. People often moan about the amount of Verbena bonariensis they get seeding around. They're a rarity here for self seeding. If I get any, it's when they seed...
    This is why location is a factor B.[/USER] The seed would struggle to be viable and then germinate and grow over winter conditions here. People often moan about the amount of Verbena bonariensis they get seeding around. They're a rarity here for...
    This is why location is a factor B.[/USER] The seed would struggle to be viable and then germinate and grow over winter conditions here. People often moan about the amount of Verbena bonariensis...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. justin249

How to Grow Ferns in Pots

The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of years, the plant usually grow in the forest, in rocky hills and in sand. Do ferns grow well in pots?...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of years, the plant usually grow in the forest, in rocky...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. smellsmellsmell

please review my planter

Thread under review as per rule 20 quoted below20. Students' and other Surveys: Such surveys are not allowed to be posted on the Forum without the permission of the Administrators [it needing...
    Thread under review as per rule 20 quoted below20. Students' and other Surveys: Such surveys are not allowed to be posted on the Forum without the permission of the Administrators [it needing only one to give permission for the survey to be posted]. Any surveys that are posted without first...
    Thread under review as per rule 20 quoted below20. Students' and other Surveys: Such surveys are not allowed to be posted on the Forum without the permission of the Administrators [it needing only one to give permission for the survey to be...
    Thread under review as per rule 20 quoted below20. Students' and other Surveys: Such surveys are not allowed to be posted on the Forum without the permission of the Administrators [it needing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fairview

Standard Bay Tree

Nigella Lawson has great recipe for lamb with lots of fresh bay leaves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hi2u_uk

what to plant now

If the spot is sunny, Rosemary would fit the bill well. It's very attractive evergreen shrub with lovely blue flowers in late spring.Rosemary is well known kitchen herb but it also has a (very)...
    If the spot is sunny, Rosemary would fit the bill well. It's very attractive evergreen shrub with lovely blue flowers in late spring.Rosemary is well known kitchen herb but it also has a (very) long history as a medicinal plant and plenty of beliefs and folklore too if you are interested....
    If the spot is sunny, Rosemary would fit the bill well. It's very attractive evergreen shrub with lovely blue flowers in late spring.Rosemary is well known kitchen herb but it also has a (very) long history as a medicinal plant and plenty of...
    If the spot is sunny, Rosemary would fit the bill well. It's very attractive evergreen shrub with lovely blue flowers in late spring.Rosemary is well known kitchen herb but it also has a (very)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Marnhullman

Suitable climber for oak sleeper trough

Yes, oak sleepers would be expensive!I'm going to look into getting some large ready made troughs instead which would, hopefully, be less expensive. We already have several small troughs and...
    Yes, oak sleepers would be expensive!I'm going to look into getting some large ready made troughs instead which would, hopefully, be less expensive. We already have several small troughs and there doesn't seem to be a drainage problem so I think that's probably the way to go.Thanks for all...
    Yes, oak sleepers would be expensive!I'm going to look into getting some large ready made troughs instead which would, hopefully, be less expensive. We already have several small troughs and there doesn't seem to be a drainage problem so I...
    Yes, oak sleepers would be expensive!I'm going to look into getting some large ready made troughs instead which would, hopefully, be less expensive. We already have several small troughs and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Gn0me

Going away for a month, should I buy a water tap timer?

whenever we go away, we always shut off our well pump. don't want accidential pipe to burst etc. Just saying.
    whenever we go away, we always shut off our well pump. don't want accidential pipe to burst etc. Just saying.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Nikolaos

Salvias in containers, what are your experiences?

Yesterday THE GARDENER brought in a couple of gone-over flowering stalks of the giant form of Salvia patens, GUANAJUATO!! What was interesting was that even the seeds were larger than normal!!...
    Yesterday THE GARDENER brought in a couple of gone-over flowering stalks of the giant form of Salvia patens, GUANAJUATO!! What was interesting was that even the seeds were larger than normal!! Obviously will sow very soon, rugby not withstanding!!
    Yesterday THE GARDENER brought in a couple of gone-over flowering stalks of the giant form of Salvia patens, GUANAJUATO!! What was interesting was that even the seeds were larger than normal!! Obviously will sow very soon, rugby not withstanding!!
    Yesterday THE GARDENER brought in a couple of gone-over flowering stalks of the giant form of Salvia patens, GUANAJUATO!! What was interesting was that even the seeds were larger than normal!!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. hi2u_uk

Cranberry in container

hi2u- that's because it's a prostrate variety - they spread across the area they're in, and only get to about 6 inches or so in height. A pot or a raised area is fine, as they can then trail over...
    hi2u- that's because it's a prostrate variety - they spread across the area they're in, and only get to about 6 inches or so in height. A pot or a raised area is fine, as they can then trail over the sides.
    hi2u- that's because it's a prostrate variety - they spread across the area they're in, and only get to about 6 inches or so in height. A pot or a raised area is fine, as they can then trail over the sides.
    hi2u- that's because it's a prostrate variety - they spread across the area they're in, and only get to about 6 inches or so in height. A pot or a raised area is fine, as they can then trail over...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sarah Eley

Calla lily sticky and wilting

Can you post a photo of it
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jowo

Hydrangea not leafing

Morning Brennabee You're asking the wrong person! But judging by the photo, I wouldn't do anything as its clearly happy as is. I always feed mine once they start flowering and just leave for the...
    Morning Brennabee You're asking the wrong person! But judging by the photo, I wouldn't do anything as its clearly happy as is. I always feed mine once they start flowering and just leave for the season but others may tell otherwise. I can only think that the issue with mine is that I cut it back...
    Morning Brennabee You're asking the wrong person! But judging by the photo, I wouldn't do anything as its clearly happy as is. I always feed mine once they start flowering and just leave for the season but others may tell otherwise. I can only...
    Morning Brennabee You're asking the wrong person! But judging by the photo, I wouldn't do anything as its clearly happy as is. I always feed mine once they start flowering and just leave for the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice