1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof above tomatoes and protection from the winds, it heats and cools down along with outside. During the...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof above tomatoes and protection from the winds, it...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Chillies 2024

Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are about 1 inch long, I transfer them into small rockwool cubes and move them into the growtent under grow...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are about 1 inch long, I transfer them into small...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

It was very professional ... well done.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are used as second earlies , as salad (new ) potatoes.
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what day. Didn't start till last week and so far have...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. jazzy

Identification of Tomato plant?

I've grown San Marzano which might fit the bill, but there are others, like Romello.
    I've grown San Marzano which might fit the bill, but there are others, like Romello.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Adam I

Kiwiberries Obtained

Good luck with more! We have a kiwi as an ornamental but it hasnt flowered in years. Its in the shade but I think we prune it incorrectly: From what I read they only fruit on 2nd year growth, and...
    Good luck with more! We have a kiwi as an ornamental but it hasnt flowered in years. Its in the shade but I think we prune it incorrectly: From what I read they only fruit on 2nd year growth, and we were pruning the whole 6m growth every year...
    Good luck with more! We have a kiwi as an ornamental but it hasnt flowered in years. Its in the shade but I think we prune it incorrectly: From what I read they only fruit on 2nd year growth, and we were pruning the whole 6m growth every year...
    Good luck with more! We have a kiwi as an ornamental but it hasnt flowered in years. Its in the shade but I think we prune it incorrectly: From what I read they only fruit on 2nd year growth, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Victoria

Capsicum annuum ... Pimento "Sweet Bells" Red

Funny how slugs and snails go for peppers, but ive never seen them on my tomatoes. The worst is they go for the fruit itself!
    Funny how slugs and snails go for peppers, but ive never seen them on my tomatoes. The worst is they go for the fruit itself!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. hailbopp

Musselburgh Leek true from seed?

If you want to maintain the variety over time you'd need a minimum number of leeks flowering in a patch to do so. Quick Google suggests 20 for leeks, dont know if thats accurate.. It's a bit...
    If you want to maintain the variety over time you'd need a minimum number of leeks flowering in a patch to do so. Quick Google suggests 20 for leeks, dont know if thats accurate.. It's a bit annoying if space is at a premium, but at least leeks look good when flowering.I tried saving more...
    If you want to maintain the variety over time you'd need a minimum number of leeks flowering in a patch to do so. Quick Google suggests 20 for leeks, dont know if thats accurate.. It's a bit annoying if space is at a premium, but at least leeks...
    If you want to maintain the variety over time you'd need a minimum number of leeks flowering in a patch to do so. Quick Google suggests 20 for leeks, dont know if thats accurate.. It's a bit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. dowtish

Seedlings safe to move to unheated greenhouse?

Mine are just growing their first true leaves (except a couple of stragglers). I'll probably transfer them into individual pots next weekend, then they have about a month to six weeks before it's...
    Mine are just growing their first true leaves (except a couple of stragglers). I'll probably transfer them into individual pots next weekend, then they have about a month to six weeks before it's safe to put them outside in the open permanently. They'll be doing the hokey cokey (in-out-in-out)...
    Mine are just growing their first true leaves (except a couple of stragglers). I'll probably transfer them into individual pots next weekend, then they have about a month to six weeks before it's safe to put them outside in the open permanently....
    Mine are just growing their first true leaves (except a couple of stragglers). I'll probably transfer them into individual pots next weekend, then they have about a month to six weeks before it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Bear1

Potatos

Aye, give them a chance. Are they in the ground, pots etc ? Did you add fertiliser ? - seed potatoes are partial to some fish, blood and bone fertiliser.fish blood and bone - Bing
    Aye, give them a chance. Are they in the ground, pots etc ? Did you add fertiliser ? - seed potatoes are partial to some fish, blood and bone fertiliser.fish blood and bone - Bing
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. MoodyBlooms

Raspberry abuse

Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the...
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the soil.
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the soil.
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Stephen Southwest

Wild rocket germination tips?

Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope another, later sowing will take. I used to leave a...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Dovefromabove
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. thriftybri

young tomato seedlings eaten

Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm enough for them. Perhaps it would be better to sow later They need plenty of light early on, so the...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm enough for them. Perhaps it would be better to sow...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Baalmaiden

whether to pinch out tall peas

I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. hi2u_uk

How safe is a treated planter box

An eco friendly pond liner might be an option, I just did a search, they exist!
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ricky101

Raspberry - Virus ?

Not a weedkiller etc as we rarely use any and never on or near our veg/fruit beds. The Rasps are well into the garden so no chance just they could be affected by drift from another garden.
    Not a weedkiller etc as we rarely use any and never on or near our veg/fruit beds. The Rasps are well into the garden so no chance just they could be affected by drift from another garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. RoisinMcGuire

Elderberry Cultivars?

Agree cut the grass or put mulch around itIt will eventually outcompete the grass though
    Agree cut the grass or put mulch around itIt will eventually outcompete the grass though
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Sargan

Planting Garlic - Spring

I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. misterQ
    Like x 3

The Bucket Growing Competition 2024

Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    bucket_competition_01.jpg bucket_competition_02.jpg bucket_competition_03.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Didi
    Like x 3

Tomato

Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at...
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at that as well though. :blue thumb:
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at that as well though. :blue thumb:
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Februarysgirl

Chicken Manure Pellets & Veg

@BobTG Thanks :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. THFC

Advice re container raspberries

Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. hi2u_uk

any tips for this cranberry plant

If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice