1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

Me plums are ripening :yay::yay::yay:Now watch this space in 4 weeks time when i'll be saying me plums have gone over before the Melplash show :doh:
    Me plums are ripening :yay::yay::yay:Now watch this space in 4 weeks time when i'll be saying me plums have gone over before the Melplash show :doh:
    16640590_10155075002001742_8106454125725902865_n.jpg IMG_7439.JPG toms transplant B.jpg toms potting on 1.jpg toms potting on 2.jpg toms potting on 3.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

It was.. :cry3:Still is.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

The pumpkin is growing well at the minute put on two inches in the last two days it's not a very nice shape
    The pumpkin is growing well at the minute put on two inches in the last two days it's not a very nice shape
    pump TandM.jpg pump matts.JPG IMG_3147.JPG 20170206-WP_20170206_007.jpg IMG_3403.JPG pumpkin patch.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

Chillies are growing! I have two plants which currently have about 6 fruit on but there is more on the way, with new growth and new flowers! Woohoo.Rubbish quality picture but you can at...
    Chillies are growing! I have two plants which currently have about 6 fruit on but there is more on the way, with new growth and new flowers! Woohoo.Rubbish quality picture but you can at least see they are coming along, and growing.However.The seeds I got were from a Mexican restaurant...
    Chillies are growing! I have two plants which currently have about 6 fruit on but there is more on the way, with new growth and new flowers! Woohoo.Rubbish quality picture but you can at least see they are coming along, and...
    Chillies are growing! I have two plants which currently have about 6 fruit on but there is more on the way, with new growth and new flowers! Woohoo.Rubbish quality picture but you can at...
    508960958.jpg rDSCN1654.jpg article-2702085-1FE0FCA700000578-509_634x347.jpg ScovilleChart4.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. martin-f
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Scrungee

Tatties 2017

Think this bad boy was furtlised :snorky:
    poundland sack.jpg upload_2017-1-9_11-17-43.jpeg upload_2017-1-9_11-21-26.jpeg spuds desiree reduced.jpg big spuds1.jpg picasso single eye.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

They are 3 to 10mm. For smaller stems i.e. less than 3mm I use the smaller silicone type tubes but I have trouble with those as I don't have good dexterity, so I lose a few by crushing the stems....
    They are 3 to 10mm. For smaller stems i.e. less than 3mm I use the smaller silicone type tubes but I have trouble with those as I don't have good dexterity, so I lose a few by crushing the stems. I find it best to let the rootstock and scions get bigger so they are thicker and stand up to being...
    They are 3 to 10mm. For smaller stems i.e. less than 3mm I use the smaller silicone type tubes but I have trouble with those as I don't have good dexterity, so I lose a few by crushing the stems. I find it best to let the rootstock and scions...
    They are 3 to 10mm. For smaller stems i.e. less than 3mm I use the smaller silicone type tubes but I have trouble with those as I don't have good dexterity, so I lose a few by crushing the stems....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

I am about two months behind where I should be, I only just planted mine outside at the weekend. Not enough space in my veg plot so they had to wait till the Broad Beans were over. This time last...
    I am about two months behind where I should be, I only just planted mine outside at the weekend. Not enough space in my veg plot so they had to wait till the Broad Beans were over. This time last year they were 10" circumference, this year they are probably half that.Definitely not a record...
    I am about two months behind where I should be, I only just planted mine outside at the weekend. Not enough space in my veg plot so they had to wait till the Broad Beans were over. This time last year they were 10" circumference, this year they...
    I am about two months behind where I should be, I only just planted mine outside at the weekend. Not enough space in my veg plot so they had to wait till the Broad Beans were over. This time last...
    IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3449.JPG IMG_3447.JPG WP_20170704_06_50_12_Rich 1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R

Blight Potatoes and Tomatoes.

I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    I know Steve I have a horrid feeling my spuds might be secumbing not sure but suddenly the leaves have gone a bit pale.. Watching closely.. I do thankfully subscribe to the Watch.. :scratch::sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. Paul Blackburn

Disease on apple tree

Looks like Scab (Black spot). Since there are now virtually no fungicides available to the amateur it is not easy to deal with. If you can get hold of Copper Sulphate, then spray with that...
    Looks like Scab (Black spot). Since there are now virtually no fungicides available to the amateur it is not easy to deal with. If you can get hold of Copper Sulphate, then spray with that (reasonably organic). Otherwise collect up the fallen leaves and dispose, but not on the compost...
    Looks like Scab (Black spot). Since there are now virtually no fungicides available to the amateur it is not easy to deal with. If you can get hold of Copper Sulphate, then spray with that (reasonably organic). Otherwise collect up the fallen...
    Looks like Scab (Black spot). Since there are now virtually no fungicides available to the amateur it is not easy to deal with. If you can get hold of Copper Sulphate, then spray with that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Paul Blackburn

Cranberry Information Wanted

I would remove as much of the old compost that you can without damaging the roots. Loosen the roots gently as well at the base and sides. Good luck and gong forget to water. :thumbsup:
    I would remove as much of the old compost that you can without damaging the roots. Loosen the roots gently as well at the base and sides. Good luck and gong forget to water. :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Blackburn

When will apples be ready

About three months time ,:biggrin: Braeburn is a late one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Linz

Am I being duped?

I've got a couple of Asimina plants, both from seed, only ever had fruit on two occasions, as not being a self sterile hybrid I need to cross pollinate. In recent years both plants have flowered...
    I've got a couple of Asimina plants, both from seed, only ever had fruit on two occasions, as not being a self sterile hybrid I need to cross pollinate. In recent years both plants have flowered at different times.:biggrin:I know the Yanks call it Paw Paw, but to me that in not Papaya.:biggrin:
    I've got a couple of Asimina plants, both from seed, only ever had fruit on two occasions, as not being a self sterile hybrid I need to cross pollinate. In recent years both plants have flowered at different times.:biggrin:I know the Yanks call it Paw...
    I've got a couple of Asimina plants, both from seed, only ever had fruit on two occasions, as not being a self sterile hybrid I need to cross pollinate. In recent years both plants have flowered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Poly Hive
    Like x 5

The difference 5 months make.....

Our first earlies variety Record. bit shy on taste but biggest firsts I hae had.
    Our first earlies variety Record. bit shy on taste but biggest firsts I hae had.
    DSCF1924.jpg DSCF1927.jpg DSCF2060.jpg DSCF2127.jpg DSCF2152[1]a.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. 2nd_bassoon

Potatos - where did we go wrong?

Tayters in bag/bins etc allegedly do better in rich soil than compost and produce a bettter flavour according to a relative and they retain water more efficiently.Beginning to agree... first...
    Tayters in bag/bins etc allegedly do better in rich soil than compost and produce a bettter flavour according to a relative and they retain water more efficiently.Beginning to agree... first time I've persisted with growing them in bags and containers. Compost dries out too fast and the raised...
    Tayters in bag/bins etc allegedly do better in rich soil than compost and produce a bettter flavour according to a relative and they retain water more efficiently.Beginning to agree... first time I've persisted with growing them in bags and...
    Tayters in bag/bins etc allegedly do better in rich soil than compost and produce a bettter flavour according to a relative and they retain water more efficiently.Beginning to agree... first...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. herbs&flowers

Yuzu, grafted vs seedling fruit quality

I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a plant and it tuned up in that manner I'd be slightly suspicious.But then again, nothing ventured,...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a plant and it tuned up in that manner I'd be...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. "M"

Tomato Glut: suggestions please

Takes out every tenth tomato :snorky:Had a snog with her in Venice :)
    DSCI0001 (15).JPG DSCI0001 (15).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. stephenprudence

Cucamelon transplating

I started mine off in small pots then thinned them out. Once I had around 6 or so, I placed 3 into a large pot outside under a trellis and 3 next to them but in the ground. My ground transplanted...
    I started mine off in small pots then thinned them out. Once I had around 6 or so, I placed 3 into a large pot outside under a trellis and 3 next to them but in the ground. My ground transplanted ones are struggling, whereas those left in a large pot have this week given me my first handful of...
    I started mine off in small pots then thinned them out. Once I had around 6 or so, I placed 3 into a large pot outside under a trellis and 3 next to them but in the ground. My ground transplanted ones are struggling, whereas those left in a large...
    I started mine off in small pots then thinned them out. Once I had around 6 or so, I placed 3 into a large pot outside under a trellis and 3 next to them but in the ground. My ground transplanted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. MFJones

First year growing some beauties.

@pete glad to know, left them for a full like 40 hours and just gave them a big soak through and will see how it goes. The little pepper one seems small but healthy enough@"M" I tend to run...
    @pete glad to know, left them for a full like 40 hours and just gave them a big soak through and will see how it goes. The little pepper one seems small but healthy enough@"M" I tend to run most things past the Landlord out of courtesy but it's always a yes, im improving the property if...
    @pete glad to know, left them for a full like 40 hours and just gave them a big soak through and will see how it goes. The little pepper one seems small but healthy enough@"M" I tend to run most things past the Landlord out of courtesy but...
    @pete glad to know, left them for a full like 40 hours and just gave them a big soak through and will see how it goes. The little pepper one seems small but healthy enough@"M" I tend to run...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Snorky85

First time growing cabbages

Ah that'll be a daith piercing! Bless her...I know a few migraine peeps who have tried it and they get relief for a month or so then it comes back. Been rattling on my 12 tabs a day this week and...
    Ah that'll be a daith piercing! Bless her...I know a few migraine peeps who have tried it and they get relief for a month or so then it comes back. Been rattling on my 12 tabs a day this week and I've not t had a migraine (yet) fingers crossed!!!!! Hope I've not jinxed it.
    Ah that'll be a daith piercing! Bless her...I know a few migraine peeps who have tried it and they get relief for a month or so then it comes back. Been rattling on my 12 tabs a day this week and I've not t had a migraine (yet) fingers...
    Ah that'll be a daith piercing! Bless her...I know a few migraine peeps who have tried it and they get relief for a month or so then it comes back. Been rattling on my 12 tabs a day this week and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. wavebuster
    Informative x 3

San Marzano.no,no, no, NO!

Most off the shelf tomato fertilizers dont contain much, if any, calcium.They rely on it being in the soil or in the source water. Most of these fertilizers have large amounts of P and K which...
    Most off the shelf tomato fertilizers dont contain much, if any, calcium.They rely on it being in the soil or in the source water. Most of these fertilizers have large amounts of P and K which makes calcium and magnesium less available respectively. The nitrogen levels in the soil should be...
    Most off the shelf tomato fertilizers dont contain much, if any, calcium.They rely on it being in the soil or in the source water. Most of these fertilizers have large amounts of P and K which makes calcium and magnesium less available...
    Most off the shelf tomato fertilizers dont contain much, if any, calcium.They rely on it being in the soil or in the source water. Most of these fertilizers have large amounts of P and K which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. misterQ

Growing Watermelon In The Community Garden...

How's your melons doing? And sweet potatoes?
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Spacemunkey

Runner Bean Advice

Ooh! @JWK ! Now you are giving me some serious ideas for next year! I have two raised veg beds parallel to each other. Well, to be precise, one raised, and one sunken, as I haven't built the...
    Ooh! @JWK ! Now you are giving me some serious ideas for next year! I have two raised veg beds parallel to each other. Well, to be precise, one raised, and one sunken, as I haven't built the sides yet, and the horse manure has dropped about 8" below the "soil" level. I dread to think exactly...
    Ooh! @JWK ! Now you are giving me some serious ideas for next year! I have two raised veg beds parallel to each other. Well, to be precise, one raised, and one sunken, as I haven't built the sides yet, and the horse manure has dropped about 8"...
    Ooh! @JWK ! Now you are giving me some serious ideas for next year! I have two raised veg beds parallel to each other. Well, to be precise, one raised, and one sunken, as I haven't built the...
    IMG_0054.JPG P1210243.JPG P1210246.JPG P1210337.JPG P1230552.JPG P1230553.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Mike77

First Fruit - Czar Plum

It's an early plum tree but yes seems a little early. The rest of the plums (only 3 more) are still green. It was pot grown and I think maybe nursery conditions then the shift to my garden have...
    It's an early plum tree but yes seems a little early. The rest of the plums (only 3 more) are still green. It was pot grown and I think maybe nursery conditions then the shift to my garden have put it out of kilter a little and I'm still getting the odd blossom. The one plum I picked appeared...
    It's an early plum tree but yes seems a little early. The rest of the plums (only 3 more) are still green. It was pot grown and I think maybe nursery conditions then the shift to my garden have put it out of kilter a little and I'm still getting...
    It's an early plum tree but yes seems a little early. The rest of the plums (only 3 more) are still green. It was pot grown and I think maybe nursery conditions then the shift to my garden have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Fat Controller

Rhubarb

@Fat Controller - yes, just cover completely before it starts in the spring - I normally cover it after the leaves have died off, in case I forget. Then, in spring, keep having sneaky looks until...
    @Fat Controller - yes, just cover completely before it starts in the spring - I normally cover it after the leaves have died off, in case I forget. Then, in spring, keep having sneaky looks until the stalks are nearly pushing the top of the forcer off, and enjoy! I find that my rhubarb is so...
    @Fat Controller - yes, just cover completely before it starts in the spring - I normally cover it after the leaves have died off, in case I forget. Then, in spring, keep having sneaky looks until the stalks are nearly pushing the top of the...
    @Fat Controller - yes, just cover completely before it starts in the spring - I normally cover it after the leaves have died off, in case I forget. Then, in spring, keep having sneaky looks until...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Mike77

Honeyberry

I have had 2 experiences of growing honeyberry especially, one is good and one is awful. The first experience was in Moscow region of Russia where we had 2 beautiful bushes of honey berries. The...
    I have had 2 experiences of growing honeyberry especially, one is good and one is awful. The first experience was in Moscow region of Russia where we had 2 beautiful bushes of honey berries. The berries were the first berries and they were delicious. But the bushes looked marvelous even...
    I have had 2 experiences of growing honeyberry especially, one is good and one is awful. The first experience was in Moscow region of Russia where we had 2 beautiful bushes of honey berries. The berries were the first berries and they were...
    I have had 2 experiences of growing honeyberry especially, one is good and one is awful. The first experience was in Moscow region of Russia where we had 2 beautiful bushes of honey berries. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. misterQ

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2017

Will do come Judgement Day in September.I was unwilling to pay Photobucket $400 a year just to be able to ref link images into forum posts so I switched to imgur instead.imgur is not perfect...
    Will do come Judgement Day in September.I was unwilling to pay Photobucket $400 a year just to be able to ref link images into forum posts so I switched to imgur instead.imgur is not perfect and it does not have the complexity in layout that I prefer for media creation on a PC or laptop...
    Will do come Judgement Day in September.I was unwilling to pay Photobucket $400 a year just to be able to ref link images into forum posts so I switched to imgur instead.imgur is not perfect and it does not have the complexity in layout that...
    Will do come Judgement Day in September.I was unwilling to pay Photobucket $400 a year just to be able to ref link images into forum posts so I switched to imgur instead.imgur is not perfect...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Sargan

Help - cucumber problems

If it is a virus, there will be no cure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Ellie673

Apple tree(?) ID

How did you guess? :thud: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options