1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

TALLEST SUNFLOWER AND LARGEST SUNFLOWER HEAD 2018

Yes, it's him or her :) - just showed up - and that lovely round flower I did show yesterday is not round anymore. And a bit of offtopic - I had 6 apples on my new dwarf appletree, I found 4 left...
    Yes, it's him or her :) - just showed up - and that lovely round flower I did show yesterday is not round anymore. And a bit of offtopic - I had 6 apples on my new dwarf appletree, I found 4 left yesterday morning - I did wrap those in plastic and net - squirrel looked puzzled today :snorky: Actually I...
    Yes, it's him or her :) - just showed up - and that lovely round flower I did show yesterday is not round anymore. And a bit of offtopic - I had 6 apples on my new dwarf appletree, I found 4 left yesterday morning - I did wrap those in plastic and...
    Yes, it's him or her :) - just showed up - and that lovely round flower I did show yesterday is not round anymore. And a bit of offtopic - I had 6 apples on my new dwarf appletree, I found 4 left...
    Capture.PNG mmmmm.jpg sun.PNG 9104FD7D-25D5-44EC-89C7-582E9EFD284B.jpeg 3FD3E877-141B-468F-9526-D5B6ED246F26.jpeg 7D71C110-DA68-4B1C-9579-C5559FA631D3.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2018

I had a little go at giants this year, but not from seed. It was a last minute decision and I was passing Robinsons on the way home from my Dad's in the spring, so I nipped in and bought some...
    I had a little go at giants this year, but not from seed. It was a last minute decision and I was passing Robinsons on the way home from my Dad's in the spring, so I nipped in and bought some little plants. It was really quite late but they still did quite well all things considered.My best...
    I had a little go at giants this year, but not from seed. It was a last minute decision and I was passing Robinsons on the way home from my Dad's in the spring, so I nipped in and bought some little plants. It was really quite late but they still...
    I had a little go at giants this year, but not from seed. It was a last minute decision and I was passing Robinsons on the way home from my Dad's in the spring, so I nipped in and bought some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

Think it goes red, or a reddy pink maybe. I usually take beefsteak types off when they're pink anyway to finish off indoors (I read somewhere once upon a time that this is the way to avoid...
    Think it goes red, or a reddy pink maybe. I usually take beefsteak types off when they're pink anyway to finish off indoors (I read somewhere once upon a time that this is the way to avoid 'floury' flesh)
    Think it goes red, or a reddy pink maybe. I usually take beefsteak types off when they're pink anyway to finish off indoors (I read somewhere once upon a time that this is the way to avoid 'floury' flesh)
    Think it goes red, or a reddy pink maybe. I usually take beefsteak types off when they're pink anyway to finish off indoors (I read somewhere once upon a time that this is the way to avoid...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

They do get hotter as the season goes on. :blue thumb:Pleased to see they're performing well. :)
    They do get hotter as the season goes on. :blue thumb:Pleased to see they're performing well. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

Got my first Blightwatch alert in ages this morning, but all my outdoor spuds have either been harvested or had the tops cut off.I thought they needed a period of dormancy before replanting,...
    Got my first Blightwatch alert in ages this morning, but all my outdoor spuds have either been harvested or had the tops cut off.I thought they needed a period of dormancy before replanting, but nothing to lose although probably not the best variety being a 20 weeks to harvest maincrop...
    Got my first Blightwatch alert in ages this morning, but all my outdoor spuds have either been harvested or had the tops cut off.I thought they needed a period of dormancy before replanting, but nothing to lose although probably not the best...
    Got my first Blightwatch alert in ages this morning, but all my outdoor spuds have either been harvested or had the tops cut off.I thought they needed a period of dormancy before replanting,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE VEGETABLE GROWING THREAD 2018

You sure its not those stripey snails hiding under the leaves?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN GROWING THREAD 2018

Sorry haven’t posted for a while been really busy pumpkin is growing well I think it’s a bit behind last year but hopefully will catch up
    Sorry haven’t posted for a while been really busy pumpkin is growing well I think it’s a bit behind last year but hopefully will catch up
    20180314_132014.jpg 1087CDB9-B027-4C99-A935-E7EF260394E6.jpeg 3784777C-75A8-4177-8D2D-8CDE8210EF87.jpeg 315DC620-06A7-42F3-B111-75C5FFD103EA.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

There was talk of gardeners' delight not being as tasty this past couple of years. Well, last year they were great. This year it wont be long before the fruits turn red and I will know if they...
    There was talk of gardeners' delight not being as tasty this past couple of years. Well, last year they were great. This year it wont be long before the fruits turn red and I will know if they are up to the mark or not:) This has been an interesting and informative thread and I will try one or...
    There was talk of gardeners' delight not being as tasty this past couple of years. Well, last year they were great. This year it wont be long before the fruits turn red and I will know if they are up to the mark or not:) This has been an...
    There was talk of gardeners' delight not being as tasty this past couple of years. Well, last year they were great. This year it wont be long before the fruits turn red and I will know if they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. misterQ
    Like x 6

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2018

Similarly, rice krispies in milk.Have your carrots snap, crackle and popped yet?
    Similarly, rice krispies in milk.Have your carrots snap, crackle and popped yet?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 11

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  14.   » Normal Threads
  15. HarryS

Crab Apple Recipes ?

Crab apple jelly is the classic use, and very nice too.I usually make one batch as per Palustris's recipe, and another with chillis added to give a bit of a zing - great with cheese, cold meats,...
    Crab apple jelly is the classic use, and very nice too.I usually make one batch as per Palustris's recipe, and another with chillis added to give a bit of a zing - great with cheese, cold meats, curry etc. You can also flavour it with herbs like thyme, rosemary, etc.You can also pickle them...
    Crab apple jelly is the classic use, and very nice too.I usually make one batch as per Palustris's recipe, and another with chillis added to give a bit of a zing - great with cheese, cold meats, curry etc. You can also flavour it with herbs...
    Crab apple jelly is the classic use, and very nice too.I usually make one batch as per Palustris's recipe, and another with chillis added to give a bit of a zing - great with cheese, cold meats,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 7

Gardener's Delight Tomato Seed Germination and Growing Thread

has anyone tried Gardening Delight F1 from Marshalls supposed to be an improvement on gardeners delight. Regards Sandy
    has anyone tried Gardening Delight F1 from Marshalls supposed to be an improvement on gardeners delight. Regards Sandy
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Dave W
    Like x 5

Cucumber glut - A solution at last.

We know Mike :pathd: we`ll all be saying hail watsits for you ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Logan
    Like x 12

Fruit Harvest

The rain has made all the ripe Blackberries go squishy and completely unsuitable for eating so I'll be forced to use every single one of them for winemaking.
    The rain has made all the ripe Blackberries go squishy and completely unsuitable for eating so I'll be forced to use every single one of them for winemaking.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snowbaby

Blueberry help please

Buy an ericaceous soil compost ricky. Peat and john innes are completely different. JI is a blended soil mix.....a basic formula for producing an ideal growing medium. Peat has hardly any...
    Buy an ericaceous soil compost ricky. Peat and john innes are completely different. JI is a blended soil mix.....a basic formula for producing an ideal growing medium. Peat has hardly any nutrients in it You can add flowers of sulphur to make soil more acidic or to maintain an acid soil but...
    Buy an ericaceous soil compost ricky. Peat and john innes are completely different. JI is a blended soil mix.....a basic formula for producing an ideal growing medium. Peat has hardly any nutrients in it You can add flowers of sulphur to make...
    Buy an ericaceous soil compost ricky. Peat and john innes are completely different. JI is a blended soil mix.....a basic formula for producing an ideal growing medium. Peat has hardly any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Fat Controller

Ginger!

I'm going to give it a go for no other reason than I can - - worst case, I will have a pot at the back of the living room with a plant in it over winter :)
    I'm going to give it a go for no other reason than I can - - worst case, I will have a pot at the back of the living room with a plant in it over winter :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Xxxlizxxx

Help with melons please

Ok thank you for the help
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Lottie222

What happened to my strawberries? :(

I think they're only small fruit anyway as hanging variety ones? I've watered daily but I wonder if they have still got a bit dry maybe? We have lots of bees and insects so shouldn't be a...
    I think they're only small fruit anyway as hanging variety ones? I've watered daily but I wonder if they have still got a bit dry maybe? We have lots of bees and insects so shouldn't be a pollination issue?
    I think they're only small fruit anyway as hanging variety ones? I've watered daily but I wonder if they have still got a bit dry maybe? We have lots of bees and insects so shouldn't be a pollination issue?
    I think they're only small fruit anyway as hanging variety ones? I've watered daily but I wonder if they have still got a bit dry maybe? We have lots of bees and insects so shouldn't be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Fat Controller

Leeks!

Couldn't find my dibber, so used an old wooden spoon. All moved on yesterday - five barrels and two large pots filled with leeks. Well, if all this Brexit nonsense comes true, as long as I can...
    Couldn't find my dibber, so used an old wooden spoon. All moved on yesterday - five barrels and two large pots filled with leeks. Well, if all this Brexit nonsense comes true, as long as I can get potatoes, garlic and veggie stock cubes, we will be able to live off leek and tattie soup for a...
    Couldn't find my dibber, so used an old wooden spoon. All moved on yesterday - five barrels and two large pots filled with leeks. Well, if all this Brexit nonsense comes true, as long as I can get potatoes, garlic and veggie stock cubes, we...
    Couldn't find my dibber, so used an old wooden spoon. All moved on yesterday - five barrels and two large pots filled with leeks. Well, if all this Brexit nonsense comes true, as long as I can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Scrungee

Hessian sandbags for vegetable storage?

And these even more so than hessian potato sacks as they're a coarser weave.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. jazzy

Runner Beans - Cut off shoots?

It depends on how much attention you can give them, how well they get watered, whether the soil has enough nutrients etc. I never cut anything off mine and never have to nip the tops out as my...
    It depends on how much attention you can give them, how well they get watered, whether the soil has enough nutrients etc. I never cut anything off mine and never have to nip the tops out as my frames allow them to continue to grow and be supported.That's no help to you if you have limited...
    It depends on how much attention you can give them, how well they get watered, whether the soil has enough nutrients etc. I never cut anything off mine and never have to nip the tops out as my frames allow them to continue to grow and be...
    It depends on how much attention you can give them, how well they get watered, whether the soil has enough nutrients etc. I never cut anything off mine and never have to nip the tops out as my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. silu

Are wild Cherries edible?

They are throwing cherries at you round here this year, :biggrin: they are ripening faster than they can pick them. Never tried wild ones, usually the birds get them before they are ripe.
    They are throwing cherries at you round here this year, :biggrin: they are ripening faster than they can pick them. Never tried wild ones, usually the birds get them before they are ripe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. totalwise

Strawberries Junebearing vs Everbearing

Thanks for that. I read this article on the difficulty of evervearing: (link)I realise now that it's a canadian source so their colder climates would make things very different to growing here.
    Thanks for that. I read this article on the difficulty of evervearing: (link)I realise now that it's a canadian source so their colder climates would make things very different to growing here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Lottie222

Strawberries in pots

Since I didn't know I was supposed to be pinching them - that's kinda happened by default lol
    Since I didn't know I was supposed to be pinching them - that's kinda happened by default lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Engelbert

Summer raspberry plants - leaves yellowing... browning... dying... Any ideas?

HiMany thanks for the responses and tips.OK, so it's looking like the heatwave may be the cause then...For the record, when do summer raspberries usually come to an end?The only thing...
    HiMany thanks for the responses and tips.OK, so it's looking like the heatwave may be the cause then...For the record, when do summer raspberries usually come to an end?The only thing of slight concern I have is that some of the summer raspberry's next year canes have brown dying...
    HiMany thanks for the responses and tips.OK, so it's looking like the heatwave may be the cause then...For the record, when do summer raspberries usually come to an end?The only thing of slight concern I have is that some of the...
    HiMany thanks for the responses and tips.OK, so it's looking like the heatwave may be the cause then...For the record, when do summer raspberries usually come to an end?The only thing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Paul Blackburn

Asparagus Question

MF's spot on :) Leave your plants to make lots of fern. It'll turn yellow/brown in autumn...that's when you cut it down to ground level. Same again next year. Pick the young shoots lightly in the...
    MF's spot on :) Leave your plants to make lots of fern. It'll turn yellow/brown in autumn...that's when you cut it down to ground level. Same again next year. Pick the young shoots lightly in the 3rd year, from then on pick as much as you like between March and June/July, but once you've finished...
    MF's spot on :) Leave your plants to make lots of fern. It'll turn yellow/brown in autumn...that's when you cut it down to ground level. Same again next year. Pick the young shoots lightly in the 3rd year, from then on pick as much as you like...
    MF's spot on :) Leave your plants to make lots of fern. It'll turn yellow/brown in autumn...that's when you cut it down to ground level. Same again next year. Pick the young shoots lightly in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. silu

As usual with gardening, some great some not so...why?

Good god @Zigs never even heard of Boron far less being deficient in it:snorky:. I am just about coping with the water deficiency this season and you are now giving me yet more things to worry about. Hmmm...
    Good god @Zigs never even heard of Boron far less being deficient in it:snorky:. I am just about coping with the water deficiency this season and you are now giving me yet more things to worry about. Hmmm thought gardening was meant to be a good form of relaxation...fat chance:)
    Good god @Zigs never even heard of Boron far less being deficient in it:snorky:. I am just about coping with the water deficiency this season and you are now giving me yet more things to worry about. Hmmm thought gardening was meant to be a good form of...
    Good god @Zigs never even heard of Boron far less being deficient in it:snorky:. I am just about coping with the water deficiency this season and you are now giving me yet more things to worry about. Hmmm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Paul Blackburn

What to do with strawberry plants

Yes, either Paul. I prefer straw from spring onwards though so maybe bark for now and straw when fruit is forming (keeps fruit clean, dry and slug free) :)
    Yes, either Paul. I prefer straw from spring onwards though so maybe bark for now and straw when fruit is forming (keeps fruit clean, dry and slug free) :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Paul Blackburn

What to do with Shallots

Like Marley @Mike77 I dry mine off in the greenhouse in my ne of those blue mushroom trays and I leave them in there until any foliage has died off completely plus the roots that will still be...
    Like Marley @Mike77 I dry mine off in the greenhouse in my ne of those blue mushroom trays and I leave them in there until any foliage has died off completely plus the roots that will still be alive at the base of each shallot will dry off.I think if you pickle them with the roots still attached...
    Like Marley @Mike77 I dry mine off in the greenhouse in my ne of those blue mushroom trays and I leave them in there until any foliage has died off completely plus the roots that will still be alive at the base of each shallot will dry off.I...
    Like Marley @Mike77 I dry mine off in the greenhouse in my ne of those blue mushroom trays and I leave them in there until any foliage has died off completely plus the roots that will still be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. JWK

Rats nibbling my veg :(

@martin-f we have pretty strict laws about shooters. You should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I declared mine when coming back from the states after one of my visits. I...
    @martin-f we have pretty strict laws about shooters. You should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I declared mine when coming back from the states after one of my visits. I wanted a Red Rider but I didn't want the brown/black one, I wanted a pink one so I had to order it and...
    @martin-f we have pretty strict laws about shooters. You should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I declared mine when coming back from the states after one of my visits. I wanted a Red Rider but I didn't want the brown/black...
    @martin-f we have pretty strict laws about shooters. You should have seen the look on the border guard's face when I declared mine when coming back from the states after one of my visits. I...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options