1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

Those chillies look like the Tabasco family so should be fairly hot. Of course, there are so many varieties nowadays that they could be anything. :)Are you feeding the plant? Tomato feed is good...
    Those chillies look like the Tabasco family so should be fairly hot. Of course, there are so many varieties nowadays that they could be anything. :)Are you feeding the plant? Tomato feed is good enough. :dbgrtmb:
    Those chillies look like the Tabasco family so should be fairly hot. Of course, there are so many varieties nowadays that they could be anything. :)Are you feeding the plant? Tomato feed is good enough. :dbgrtmb:
    Those chillies look like the Tabasco family so should be fairly hot. Of course, there are so many varieties nowadays that they could be anything. :)Are you feeding the plant? Tomato feed is good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Scrungee
    Informative x 3

Tatties 2017

So along with maris peer and rocket, I'm going for cara, kestrel and valor on the plot. Have been told we get major eelworm problems. Been told and read they're quite resistant to it.. :fingers crossed:No show...
    So along with maris peer and rocket, I'm going for cara, kestrel and valor on the plot. Have been told we get major eelworm problems. Been told and read they're quite resistant to it.. :fingers crossed:No show spuds here :redface:
    So along with maris peer and rocket, I'm going for cara, kestrel and valor on the plot. Have been told we get major eelworm problems. Been told and read they're quite resistant to it.. :fingers crossed:No show spuds here :redface:
    So along with maris peer and rocket, I'm going for cara, kestrel and valor on the plot. Have been told we get major eelworm problems. Been told and read they're quite resistant to it.. :fingers crossed:No show...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

Well they're out of the bubble wrap and sort of sitting there getting over the shock no doubt, sunny today so hopefully that will stir them into action(Sweet peas planted similar time are massive!!)
    Well they're out of the bubble wrap and sort of sitting there getting over the shock no doubt, sunny today so hopefully that will stir them into action(Sweet peas planted similar time are massive!!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

Nice one webmaster will be good to see how well they do
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

blimmin' cats have knocked over some onions/leeks, canna have popped up, asphodeline lutea has too, thought baby slugs had moved in in a tray of cyclamen hederifolium but realised a few have...
    blimmin' cats have knocked over some onions/leeks, canna have popped up, asphodeline lutea has too, thought baby slugs had moved in in a tray of cyclamen hederifolium but realised a few have germinated, ha! Cat grass is outside growing slowly but surely. Asparagus.. meh, won't see anything for a...
    blimmin' cats have knocked over some onions/leeks, canna have popped up, asphodeline lutea has too, thought baby slugs had moved in in a tray of cyclamen hederifolium but realised a few have germinated, ha! Cat grass is outside growing slowly but...
    blimmin' cats have knocked over some onions/leeks, canna have popped up, asphodeline lutea has too, thought baby slugs had moved in in a tray of cyclamen hederifolium but realised a few have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

6 plants is good spacing. Why don't you mix the varieties, i.e. grow 3 of each in both the raised bed and the greenhouse - that will hedge your bets.
    6 plants is good spacing. Why don't you mix the varieties, i.e. grow 3 of each in both the raised bed and the greenhouse - that will hedge your bets.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

It's all about perception @Linz ... to me, even mini sunflowers look like giants :whistle: :heehee:
    It's all about perception @Linz ... to me, even mini sunflowers look like giants :whistle: :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN AND CARVING CHALLENGE - 2017

The new thread for 2017:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only...
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only suitable for saucing as not very tasty 5m tape measure
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only suitable for saucing as not very tasty 5m tape...
    Taken the few toms down which were in back section of greenhouse few varieties and not grafted toms This was the best of them a San Marzano plum. About 6m and 18 trusses. Loads off it but only...
    IMG_6201.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6428 Tomato grafted onto Aubergine roots.JPG IMG_5956.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. GYO newbie

Well rotted horse manure.

I did this, but didn't come up with much unfortunately. One company wanting to charge me £85 for a 1 ton bag. :frown:
    I did this, but didn't come up with much unfortunately. One company wanting to charge me £85 for a 1 ton bag. :frown:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. CreakyJoints

Veg Beginner - Dying To Get Started

The nearest Wilko to me is 21.15 miles away via city bypass then motorway. I don't drive... But I see they do online shopping :) So, that's seed potatoes added to my shopping list too now :snorky:
    The nearest Wilko to me is 21.15 miles away via city bypass then motorway. I don't drive... But I see they do online shopping :) So, that's seed potatoes added to my shopping list too now :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

Blueberry Watering

Hi,Have ordered some Blueberries to try this year and have seen lots of info on keeping the PH low with the right compost etc.Will be keeping them in large pots to start with.While they say...
    Hi,Have ordered some Blueberries to try this year and have seen lots of info on keeping the PH low with the right compost etc.Will be keeping them in large pots to start with.While they say use rain water, a constant supply is not always possible, so wondered if using the RO water from my...
    Hi,Have ordered some Blueberries to try this year and have seen lots of info on keeping the PH low with the right compost etc.Will be keeping them in large pots to start with.While they say use rain water, a constant supply is not always...
    Hi,Have ordered some Blueberries to try this year and have seen lots of info on keeping the PH low with the right compost etc.Will be keeping them in large pots to start with.While they say...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Florabritannica

Tomatoes for north-facing garden

I am fortunate to have 2 US clients who regularly travel back and forth across the pond so obtaining seed is not a problem for me but I rarely ask such favours.
    I am fortunate to have 2 US clients who regularly travel back and forth across the pond so obtaining seed is not a problem for me but I rarely ask such favours.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. GYO newbie

Storing Potatoes

Go to the local chip shop and ask for some old potatoes sacks. That's what I use to keep mine, still eating what I harvested in September kept in a cold garageChip shops are glad to get rid of...
    Go to the local chip shop and ask for some old potatoes sacks. That's what I use to keep mine, still eating what I harvested in September kept in a cold garageChip shops are glad to get rid of them as wellDave
    Go to the local chip shop and ask for some old potatoes sacks. That's what I use to keep mine, still eating what I harvested in September kept in a cold garageChip shops are glad to get rid of them as wellDave
    Go to the local chip shop and ask for some old potatoes sacks. That's what I use to keep mine, still eating what I harvested in September kept in a cold garageChip shops are glad to get rid of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. GYO newbie

Dwarf apple/pear trees

April 2015 i became the proud owner of 4 twigs. I potted these twigs - 3 apple and 1 pear. Later that year they produced a couple of branches and a few leaves. The following year (last year) i got...
    April 2015 i became the proud owner of 4 twigs. I potted these twigs - 3 apple and 1 pear. Later that year they produced a couple of branches and a few leaves. The following year (last year) i got a bit of fruit off two apple. The other apple did produce a few very small bits of fruit, but tiny...
    April 2015 i became the proud owner of 4 twigs. I potted these twigs - 3 apple and 1 pear. Later that year they produced a couple of branches and a few leaves. The following year (last year) i got a bit of fruit off two apple. The other apple did...
    April 2015 i became the proud owner of 4 twigs. I potted these twigs - 3 apple and 1 pear. Later that year they produced a couple of branches and a few leaves. The following year (last year) i got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Denton Dave

Potato Fertiliser

Thanks both for your comments, I will try to find the older stuff at the horse stables, good job you said that Jack, great tip saved me a lot of weeding.Thanks Zigs as always great adviceCheers
    Thanks both for your comments, I will try to find the older stuff at the horse stables, good job you said that Jack, great tip saved me a lot of weeding.Thanks Zigs as always great adviceCheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Webmaster

Aubergine / Egg Plants .... Do you have much success ?

I gave up trying to grow them as they're such a white fly magnet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Denton Dave

Mole Hills

Now there's an idea !!
    Now there's an idea !!
    Now there's an idea !!
    Now there's an idea !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Denton Dave

Potatoes

Ah, you have an allotment. In that case, why not try a few varieties, so you can compare? My gut feeling is that 'Desiree' might be the better keeper.
    Ah, you have an allotment. In that case, why not try a few varieties, so you can compare? My gut feeling is that 'Desiree' might be the better keeper.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Snorky85

Any success with sweet red pepper?

Also, peppers branch a lot and keep dividing into two as they grow, kind of in a "Y" shape. I grow my peppers in a polytunnel and at first I used to just get many small fruits and I thought I...
    Also, peppers branch a lot and keep dividing into two as they grow, kind of in a "Y" shape. I grow my peppers in a polytunnel and at first I used to just get many small fruits and I thought I could not grow them.Now I prune, when the stem divides into 2, I prune one out and I continue to do...
    Also, peppers branch a lot and keep dividing into two as they grow, kind of in a "Y" shape. I grow my peppers in a polytunnel and at first I used to just get many small fruits and I thought I could not grow them.Now I prune, when the stem...
    Also, peppers branch a lot and keep dividing into two as they grow, kind of in a "Y" shape. I grow my peppers in a polytunnel and at first I used to just get many small fruits and I thought I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. silu

Parsnips starting to regrow

Shop bought barely have any taste! My guess would be they're harvested early before they have time to develop fully
    Shop bought barely have any taste! My guess would be they're harvested early before they have time to develop fully
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. TheMadHedger

Broad Beans - a few questions from a beginner

@TheMadHedger are you growing the broad beans for an allotment or for a garden? because you can sow Aquadulce Claudia now straight into the ground and they will give you an early crop of...
    @TheMadHedger are you growing the broad beans for an allotment or for a garden? because you can sow Aquadulce Claudia now straight into the ground and they will give you an early crop of beans,earlier than spring sown varieties and with luck you won't have the black fly problems that are...
    @TheMadHedger are you growing the broad beans for an allotment or for a garden? because you can sow Aquadulce Claudia now straight into the ground and they will give you an early crop of beans,earlier than spring sown varieties and with luck you...
    @TheMadHedger are you growing the broad beans for an allotment or for a garden? because you can sow Aquadulce Claudia now straight into the ground and they will give you an early crop of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. silu

Any good tips on growing Celery

Thanks @Sandy Ground and @Scrungee , I do have a bed which is really quite shady. The soil is mainly 5 year old garden compost (had too much and so created a bed with it). It's not that moist as...
    Thanks @Sandy Ground and @Scrungee , I do have a bed which is really quite shady. The soil is mainly 5 year old garden compost (had too much and so created a bed with it). It's not that moist as have a Eucolyptus tree growing close by but it's close to a water supply. Would this be worth trying...
    Thanks @Sandy Ground and @Scrungee , I do have a bed which is really quite shady. The soil is mainly 5 year old garden compost (had too much and so created a bed with it). It's not that moist as have a Eucolyptus tree growing close by but it's...
    Thanks @Sandy Ground and @Scrungee , I do have a bed which is really quite shady. The soil is mainly 5 year old garden compost (had too much and so created a bed with it). It's not that moist as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Zigs
    Like x 7

Period Vegetable Garden - Thomas Hardy's House

You would not have liked it anyway Zigs, You have to hold your pint mug of tea with your little finger sticking out, and the Sarnies do not have any crusts
    You would not have liked it anyway Zigs, You have to hold your pint mug of tea with your little finger sticking out, and the Sarnies do not have any crusts
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. silu

Over winter chilli

Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to...
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to prune them today and useful to see that you can be quite severe.
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to prune them today and useful to see that you can...
    Thanks for all the useful advice. My 2 chilli plants are now minus their good crop of Chillis which I've frozen and had a good spray with water to remove the majority of the whitefly. I'm going to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. JWK
    Like x 4

2016 Tomato Growing

Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :)Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the...
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :)Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the windowcill :phew:
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :)Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the windowcill :phew:
    Hold on a minute, is this the last tomato to ripen from 2016? :)Didn't think it would as it was very green when I picked it, but it got lost in me bed for a few weeks after rolling off the...
    DSCN2472.JPG DSCN2471.JPG Ailsa craig.JPG Beefmaster.JPG Screenshot_2016-01-09-01-42-49.png image.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. ricky101

Tomato Growing Hydrophonically..?

..or maybe a bit of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers...Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. clueless1

Cress

Here's some infoGarden cress - Wikipedia
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Paul Blackburn

When to grow broad beans

@Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures.It will also...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures.It will also depend on where you are in the British Isles as to what you can get started early because if you are...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures.It will also depend on where you are in the British Isles as to...
    @Paul Blackburn and @JeffNev you can sow broad beans now if they are a winter variety like Aquadulce Claudia as they have been bred to withstand some of the winter temperatures.It will also...
    IMG_0509.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options