1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

Not a sign of blight here yet and forecast is for warm and very dry so :fingers crossed: the alerts I have had are about as accurate as the weather forecasts! Hell I don't like the info from Scrungee that his...
    Not a sign of blight here yet and forecast is for warm and very dry so :fingers crossed: the alerts I have had are about as accurate as the weather forecasts! Hell I don't like the info from Scrungee that his Sarpos have blight ALREADY. I planted my Sarpos next door to my Pink Firs as I was under the impression...
    Not a sign of blight here yet and forecast is for warm and very dry so :fingers crossed: the alerts I have had are about as accurate as the weather forecasts! Hell I don't like the info from Scrungee that his Sarpos have blight ALREADY. I planted my Sarpos next...
    Not a sign of blight here yet and forecast is for warm and very dry so :fingers crossed: the alerts I have had are about as accurate as the weather forecasts! Hell I don't like the info from Scrungee that his...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

Thank you so much. Need to learn a lot I do lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

THE VEGETABLE GROWING THREAD 2018

:wow: @misterQ thats a nice harvest for early June :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

This afternoon I potted on 45 chilli plants into what I think will be their final pots. Still another 15 that aren't ready to pot on (no roots showing out the bottom of the pots).
    This afternoon I potted on 45 chilli plants into what I think will be their final pots. Still another 15 that aren't ready to pot on (no roots showing out the bottom of the pots).
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2018

There is plenty of time yet any thing can happenPlanted most of mine out in the tunnel today and potted best ones up in greenhouse
    There is plenty of time yet any thing can happenPlanted most of mine out in the tunnel today and potted best ones up in greenhouse
    DSCI0001 (15).JPG Kelsae.jpg DSC00889.JPG DSCI0001 (6).JPG DSCI0001 (38).JPG DSCI0002 (2).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

My leggy experimental tomatoes have finally been planted outside today.So, what's different?Look carefully...Snackbite Sweet Pepper grafted onto Morrisons "Grape" Cherry Tomato, yes,...
    My leggy experimental tomatoes have finally been planted outside today.So, what's different?Look carefully...Snackbite Sweet Pepper grafted onto Morrisons "Grape" Cherry Tomato, yes, the picture and video elusive Pepmato.So far, the grafts have healed and the pepper scions were...
    My leggy experimental tomatoes have finally been planted outside today.So, what's different?Look carefully...Snackbite Sweet Pepper grafted onto Morrisons "Grape" Cherry Tomato, yes, the picture and video elusive Pepmato.So far,...
    My leggy experimental tomatoes have finally been planted outside today.So, what's different?Look carefully...Snackbite Sweet Pepper grafted onto Morrisons "Grape" Cherry Tomato, yes,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

TALLEST SUNFLOWER AND LARGEST SUNFLOWER HEAD 2018

Martin she seems happy enough enjoying your garden mate
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. misterQ
    Like x 6

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2018

Similarly, rice krispies in milk.Have your carrots snap, crackle and popped yet?
    Similarly, rice krispies in milk.Have your carrots snap, crackle and popped yet?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

Can anybody recommend a good tasty heavy cropper?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 11

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  14.   » Normal Threads
  15. JWK
    Like x 7

Gardener's Delight Tomato Seed Germination and Growing Thread

Thanks for the feedback @sandymac , do your other varieties Sungold, Suncherry and Flamme taste much better?
    Thanks for the feedback @sandymac , do your other varieties Sungold, Suncherry and Flamme taste much better?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Logan
    Like x 5

Fruit Harvest

@ misterQ they look amazing, the blackcurrant that i have is called Ebony it's sweeter.
    @ misterQ they look amazing, the blackcurrant that i have is called Ebony it's sweeter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Notty1975

White mold on cucumbers

Nope. Atleast I dont think so, other than keeping up with the watering and humidity.
    Nope. Atleast I dont think so, other than keeping up with the watering and humidity.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Notty1975

How late to sow pickling onions

I think those are far more worthy of concentrating efforts on, especially using stuff picked from hedgerows for free.
    I think those are far more worthy of concentrating efforts on, especially using stuff picked from hedgerows for free.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Loofah

Garlic

We've been lifting 'green garlic', garlic that hasn't yet divided into cloves for about 3 weeks or more, from plants appearing where garlic has previously been grown and cloves have got left in...
    We've been lifting 'green garlic', garlic that hasn't yet divided into cloves for about 3 weeks or more, from plants appearing where garlic has previously been grown and cloves have got left in ghe ground.
    We've been lifting 'green garlic', garlic that hasn't yet divided into cloves for about 3 weeks or more, from plants appearing where garlic has previously been grown and cloves have got left in ghe ground.
    We've been lifting 'green garlic', garlic that hasn't yet divided into cloves for about 3 weeks or more, from plants appearing where garlic has previously been grown and cloves have got left in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. MaLiorzh

Curry tree - Murraya koenigii

:heehee: I have to say I have 3 avocado trees growing from stones that germinated and started growing in the compost heap... :heehee:
    :heehee: I have to say I have 3 avocado trees growing from stones that germinated and started growing in the compost heap... :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Jimb0b

Pruning Pears and apples

Yes, tie down verticals except for main stem.For fruit, summer prune in late July early August.....do this by cutting shoots from tied down branches to 3 or 4 buds to create "spurs". It may be...
    Yes, tie down verticals except for main stem.For fruit, summer prune in late July early August.....do this by cutting shoots from tied down branches to 3 or 4 buds to create "spurs". It may be a little early for this year though. By cutting back like this in late summer you are encouraging...
    Yes, tie down verticals except for main stem.For fruit, summer prune in late July early August.....do this by cutting shoots from tied down branches to 3 or 4 buds to create "spurs". It may be a little early for this year though. By cutting...
    Yes, tie down verticals except for main stem.For fruit, summer prune in late July early August.....do this by cutting shoots from tied down branches to 3 or 4 buds to create "spurs". It may be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Notty1975

Leaves growing from flower truss on tomatoes

Brill that’s what I thought but wanted to make sure thanks both
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Peter K

Plum tree - no fruit

Hello Peter, Some varieties of plum are self-fertile but not all. Plums, gages and damsons: choosing cultivars/RHS Gardening This link will give more info. Sometimes, a frost or dry spell at...
    Hello Peter, Some varieties of plum are self-fertile but not all. Plums, gages and damsons: choosing cultivars/RHS Gardening This link will give more info. Sometimes, a frost or dry spell at the critical time in the fruit's development makes them all drop. Nothing much you can do about that...
    Hello Peter, Some varieties of plum are self-fertile but not all. Plums, gages and damsons: choosing cultivars/RHS Gardening This link will give more info. Sometimes, a frost or dry spell at the critical time in the fruit's development makes...
    Hello Peter, Some varieties of plum are self-fertile but not all. Plums, gages and damsons: choosing cultivars/RHS Gardening This link will give more info. Sometimes, a frost or dry spell at...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Plosh

Why can't I grow beetroot?

Carrots - no problem once germinated. Germination can sometimes be a bit challenging.
    Carrots - no problem once germinated. Germination can sometimes be a bit challenging.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Plosh

Disappointing strawberries

Hello @Plosh I don't grow fruit or veg but when we had our property the previous owner was a grower of grapes / strawberries / Barley / Rhubarb and everything was all done in sections but the...
    Hello @Plosh I don't grow fruit or veg but when we had our property the previous owner was a grower of grapes / strawberries / Barley / Rhubarb and everything was all done in sections but the strawberries was planted by the kitchen window and we suffer here with pure sun trap gardens but where...
    Hello @Plosh I don't grow fruit or veg but when we had our property the previous owner was a grower of grapes / strawberries / Barley / Rhubarb and everything was all done in sections but the strawberries was planted by the kitchen window and we...
    Hello @Plosh I don't grow fruit or veg but when we had our property the previous owner was a grower of grapes / strawberries / Barley / Rhubarb and everything was all done in sections but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Habanerohead

Elephant Garlic from bulbils

I must admit I was sceptical when you first posted about this last October @Habanerohead so you have proved me wrong, thanks it's always good to learn something new. I shall try your method this year :blue thumb:
    I must admit I was sceptical when you first posted about this last October @Habanerohead so you have proved me wrong, thanks it's always good to learn something new. I shall try your method this year :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Saliha
    Like x 3

Fig-leaf gourd

Yep that might be a problem if there is a lot of them but they stay edible a long time. I still have some from the last year and they are almost as fresh like at the last autumn. In Mexico, they...
    Yep that might be a problem if there is a lot of them but they stay edible a long time. I still have some from the last year and they are almost as fresh like at the last autumn. In Mexico, they are used also for sweets and in the Far East for vegetable soups. As their fruit flesh is a bit like...
    Yep that might be a problem if there is a lot of them but they stay edible a long time. I still have some from the last year and they are almost as fresh like at the last autumn. In Mexico, they are used also for sweets and in the Far East for...
    Yep that might be a problem if there is a lot of them but they stay edible a long time. I still have some from the last year and they are almost as fresh like at the last autumn. In Mexico, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Aldo

Cucumbers - Is it advisable to pinch of the first fruits and flowers, like with courgettes?

Thanks both! I'll pinch them off then, even if my kid and wife will be grumbling :) They are amazingly fast growing, I did not expect that. 24h after taking that picture
    Thanks both! I'll pinch them off then, even if my kid and wife will be grumbling :) They are amazingly fast growing, I did not expect that. 24h after taking that picture
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Peter K

Apple Trees

June drop.....all those little ones will fall off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Paul Blackburn

Problems growing carrots

Paul, my thoughts include, not good applying manure last autumn. Carrots will not perform well in that. Also what compost did you use? MPC? This dries out fast, possibly too fast for seeds, and...
    Paul, my thoughts include, not good applying manure last autumn. Carrots will not perform well in that. Also what compost did you use? MPC? This dries out fast, possibly too fast for seeds, and is difficult to re wet. Watering? Erratic watering is not good either. (Hence my apprehensions...
    Paul, my thoughts include, not good applying manure last autumn. Carrots will not perform well in that. Also what compost did you use? MPC? This dries out fast, possibly too fast for seeds, and is difficult to re wet. Watering? Erratic...
    Paul, my thoughts include, not good applying manure last autumn. Carrots will not perform well in that. Also what compost did you use? MPC? This dries out fast, possibly too fast for seeds, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Paul Blackburn

Lack of apples

Basically, because the tree knocked itself out producing that bumper crop last year. It's a problem known as "biennial bearing" and this article from the RHS has some tips for sorting it out:...
    Basically, because the tree knocked itself out producing that bumper crop last year. It's a problem known as "biennial bearing" and this article from the RHS has some tips for sorting it out: Fruit: biennial bearing/RHS Gardening
    Basically, because the tree knocked itself out producing that bumper crop last year. It's a problem known as "biennial bearing" and this article from the RHS has some tips for sorting it out: Fruit: biennial bearing/RHS Gardening
    Basically, because the tree knocked itself out producing that bumper crop last year. It's a problem known as "biennial bearing" and this article from the RHS has some tips for sorting it out:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Vince
    Like x 4

I don't like fruit!

The only fruits I like are soooo expensive in the shops, soft fruits in particular. I bought some raspberry canes last year (Aldi) they seem to be coming on nicely :) My strawberries need replacing,...
    The only fruits I like are soooo expensive in the shops, soft fruits in particular. I bought some raspberry canes last year (Aldi) they seem to be coming on nicely :) My strawberries need replacing, past their best now, but I haven’t got another sunny and suitable spot, pots might be the way to...
    The only fruits I like are soooo expensive in the shops, soft fruits in particular. I bought some raspberry canes last year (Aldi) they seem to be coming on nicely :) My strawberries need replacing, past their best now, but I haven’t got another...
    The only fruits I like are soooo expensive in the shops, soft fruits in particular. I bought some raspberry canes last year (Aldi) they seem to be coming on nicely :) My strawberries need replacing,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. misterQ

Post pictures of your radishes here...

By Jove, I think you're getting the hang of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Aldo

Trimming leggy foliage of strawberries in crowded planter to improve air circulation

Thanks! I will try and do that with the next plants.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options