1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

2017 GROWING THREAD

Those vouchers never work with what I'm buying. Not bad though, I just never fancy anything 99p from there it's normally £2 quid odd
    Those vouchers never work with what I'm buying. Not bad though, I just never fancy anything 99p from there it's normally £2 quid odd
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. martin-f

Tallest sunflower and largest head challenge 2017

Will start sowing next month.As I've got 100s of saved seeds from last year's plants, I'll risk sowing those earlier and in open ground to get more vigorous plants. I've also got a small number...
    Will start sowing next month.As I've got 100s of saved seeds from last year's plants, I'll risk sowing those earlier and in open ground to get more vigorous plants. I've also got a small number of seeds from a couple of new strains so will be starting those off in pots under cover (+ some of...
    Will start sowing next month.As I've got 100s of saved seeds from last year's plants, I'll risk sowing those earlier and in open ground to get more vigorous plants. I've also got a small number of seeds from a couple of new strains so will be...
    Will start sowing next month.As I've got 100s of saved seeds from last year's plants, I'll risk sowing those earlier and in open ground to get more vigorous plants. I've also got a small number...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Scrungee

Tatties 2017

Planted my Winston First Earlies yesterday in big recycling containers in my cold greenhouse. As soon as there is little chance of frost I drag them outside for more sunshine. Expecting to harvest...
    Planted my Winston First Earlies yesterday in big recycling containers in my cold greenhouse. As soon as there is little chance of frost I drag them outside for more sunshine. Expecting to harvest late May/June.
    Planted my Winston First Earlies yesterday in big recycling containers in my cold greenhouse. As soon as there is little chance of frost I drag them outside for more sunshine. Expecting to harvest late May/June.
    Planted my Winston First Earlies yesterday in big recycling containers in my cold greenhouse. As soon as there is little chance of frost I drag them outside for more sunshine. Expecting to harvest...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Like x 4

2017 Tomato Growing

All the Yellow varieties are not so acidic/tangy - more of a mellow taste (in my opinion)
    All the Yellow varieties are not so acidic/tangy - more of a mellow taste (in my opinion)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 5

Tomato Grafting

I put the severed tops of the rootstock into compost, they will quickly root and grow into new plants ready for a second batch - this will be for my outdoor plants in a months time.
    I put the severed tops of the rootstock into compost, they will quickly root and grow into new plants ready for a second batch - this will be for my outdoor plants in a months time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE 2017 CHILLI THREAD

@toppington I had them off my sister, so that's the variety.. good to know :) Found some didn't germinate, sowed them again and they took 2 days, so finicky.Got Anaheim on the go too, they popped...
    @toppington I had them off my sister, so that's the variety.. good to know :) Found some didn't germinate, sowed them again and they took 2 days, so finicky.Got Anaheim on the go too, they popped up a few days ago. 1p from seed parade :)
    @toppington I had them off my sister, so that's the variety.. good to know :) Found some didn't germinate, sowed them again and they took 2 days, so finicky.Got Anaheim on the go too, they popped up a few days ago. 1p from seed parade :)
    @toppington I had them off my sister, so that's the variety.. good to know :) Found some didn't germinate, sowed them again and they took 2 days, so finicky.Got Anaheim on the go too, they popped...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

GIANT ONIONS - 2017

Well they're out of the bubble wrap and sort of sitting there getting over the shock no doubt, sunny today so hopefully that will stir them into action(Sweet peas planted similar time are massive!!)
    Well they're out of the bubble wrap and sort of sitting there getting over the shock no doubt, sunny today so hopefully that will stir them into action(Sweet peas planted similar time are massive!!)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R

Pumpkin growing challenge 2017

Nice one webmaster will be good to see how well they do
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

TOMATO SEED SWAP - 2017

I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    I have gardener's delight and golden sunrise if anyone wants them otherwise they're going in the bin :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN AND CARVING CHALLENGE - 2017

The new thread for 2017:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. ChilliPepper

Broad Beans - plant now?

Thanks for your post misterQ. They look great! When was the photo taken? I've got Aquadulce outside now and standing at about 12" in height. I started them in root trainers, which proved very...
    Thanks for your post misterQ. They look great! When was the photo taken? I've got Aquadulce outside now and standing at about 12" in height. I started them in root trainers, which proved very successful. It may be a tight squeeze to get two crops into the season though! I'll maybe start in...
    Thanks for your post misterQ. They look great! When was the photo taken? I've got Aquadulce outside now and standing at about 12" in height. I started them in root trainers, which proved very successful. It may be a tight squeeze to get two...
    Thanks for your post misterQ. They look great! When was the photo taken? I've got Aquadulce outside now and standing at about 12" in height. I started them in root trainers, which proved very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Steve R

Grape growing.

I've messed around with grapes, in and out,for many years, on and off, and that Monty attack from wasps is the first time I've ever seen it.I wonder how vineyards get on?:biggrin:I've planted a...
    I've messed around with grapes, in and out,for many years, on and off, and that Monty attack from wasps is the first time I've ever seen it.I wonder how vineyards get on?:biggrin:I've planted a Lakemont seedless on my allotment last year and just bought a variety called flame which I intend growing...
    I've messed around with grapes, in and out,for many years, on and off, and that Monty attack from wasps is the first time I've ever seen it.I wonder how vineyards get on?:biggrin:I've planted a Lakemont seedless on my allotment last year and just...
    I've messed around with grapes, in and out,for many years, on and off, and that Monty attack from wasps is the first time I've ever seen it.I wonder how vineyards get on?:biggrin:I've planted a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. nikirushka

Flowering rhubarb

I always cut the flowers off but I have more than sufficient plants not to need to propagate them.One word of warning with cutting them. Make sure that you cut the flowering stalks right down. ...
    I always cut the flowers off but I have more than sufficient plants not to need to propagate them.One word of warning with cutting them. Make sure that you cut the flowering stalks right down. Otherwise they can have a hollow section left that will hold water and, possibly, rot the crown.
    I always cut the flowers off but I have more than sufficient plants not to need to propagate them.One word of warning with cutting them. Make sure that you cut the flowering stalks right down. Otherwise they can have a hollow section left...
    I always cut the flowers off but I have more than sufficient plants not to need to propagate them.One word of warning with cutting them. Make sure that you cut the flowering stalks right down. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Snowbaby

Potato help please

Thanks everyone. I'll dig them up and start over !
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. redstar

Date Trees.

I remember that tree when it was a sapling. :dbgrtmb: :old: :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. silu
    Friendly x 5

I hate sowing seeds I've decided

Try sowing Fern spore.......:rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. fat controller
    Funny x 4

What is wrong with my plums?

If the maggot problem persists use them for making Plum Wine, but add some Bentonite to the must to avoid getting a protein haze.
    If the maggot problem persists use them for making Plum Wine, but add some Bentonite to the must to avoid getting a protein haze.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. robgil

Buying seedlings off EBay, toms and chillies?

Most of my rarer Hemerocallis have been sourced from ebay, as has already been said you need to check out the sellers before buying.
    Most of my rarer Hemerocallis have been sourced from ebay, as has already been said you need to check out the sellers before buying.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. robgil

Raised veg bed?

Best to grow stuff you like to eat. Currently I'm sowing lettuce, spinach, peas and carrots. All of these are reasonably fast growing. I've also sown summer broccoli which will take up a bit more...
    Best to grow stuff you like to eat. Currently I'm sowing lettuce, spinach, peas and carrots. All of these are reasonably fast growing. I've also sown summer broccoli which will take up a bit more room. New (early) potatoes would be a good thing to try too and you'll be digging them up in...
    Best to grow stuff you like to eat. Currently I'm sowing lettuce, spinach, peas and carrots. All of these are reasonably fast growing. I've also sown summer broccoli which will take up a bit more room. New (early) potatoes would be a good thing...
    Best to grow stuff you like to eat. Currently I'm sowing lettuce, spinach, peas and carrots. All of these are reasonably fast growing. I've also sown summer broccoli which will take up a bit more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Paul Blackburn

How to grow chillies and peppers

I used the airing cupboard for years, for germination, until I built a propagator. You do need to check twice a day though as in those temperatures seedings go leggy very fast.Pepper seed needs...
    I used the airing cupboard for years, for germination, until I built a propagator. You do need to check twice a day though as in those temperatures seedings go leggy very fast.Pepper seed needs quite a high temperature to germinate well, 80F is about right.It's the growing on afterwards that...
    I used the airing cupboard for years, for germination, until I built a propagator. You do need to check twice a day though as in those temperatures seedings go leggy very fast.Pepper seed needs quite a high temperature to germinate well, 80F is...
    I used the airing cupboard for years, for germination, until I built a propagator. You do need to check twice a day though as in those temperatures seedings go leggy very fast.Pepper seed needs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Paul Blackburn

How long do Parsnips take

The compost only goes into the tubes. I drop some in (about third depth?) then use a short length of broom handle to tamp in down so it wont fall out the bottom, but not so hard it might restrict...
    The compost only goes into the tubes. I drop some in (about third depth?) then use a short length of broom handle to tamp in down so it wont fall out the bottom, but not so hard it might restrict root growth, then add/gently tamp more seed compost above up seed sowing depth, sow 3 seeds and...
    The compost only goes into the tubes. I drop some in (about third depth?) then use a short length of broom handle to tamp in down so it wont fall out the bottom, but not so hard it might restrict root growth, then add/gently tamp more seed...
    The compost only goes into the tubes. I drop some in (about third depth?) then use a short length of broom handle to tamp in down so it wont fall out the bottom, but not so hard it might restrict...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. silu

Garlic not storing very well

@silu Yes Rhino on way, due to arrive end of March. Will post more on this escapade later.
    @silu Yes Rhino on way, due to arrive end of March. Will post more on this escapade later.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Steve R

Egg and Chips plant

Or only after 11:30:?
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Denton Dave

Potatoes

Cara is a very good all-rounder (I'll be growing a few) Maris Piper superb for chips Desiree excellent for mash
    Cara is a very good all-rounder (I'll be growing a few) Maris Piper superb for chips Desiree excellent for mash
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. fat controller
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. silu

Any good tips on growing Celery

Then I guess that I shouldnt mention that celery soup tastes better with some fennel in it?:snork:
    Then I guess that I shouldnt mention that celery soup tastes better with some fennel in it?:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. fat controller

Physalis Peruviana

Reminds me of the story I was once told by a young woman who'd tried them and liked them but accidentally shouted across the room at a dinner party, 'Has anyone else here had syphillis?' :lunapic 130165696578242 5::Wino::mute:
    Reminds me of the story I was once told by a young woman who'd tried them and liked them but accidentally shouted across the room at a dinner party, 'Has anyone else here had syphillis?' :lunapic 130165696578242 5::Wino::mute:
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. ricky101

Blueberry Watering

Yes CO2 absorption will lower the pH after a few days and hardwater will be less affected by this.
    Yes CO2 absorption will lower the pH after a few days and hardwater will be less affected by this.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. GYO newbie

Well rotted horse manure.

I did this, but didn't come up with much unfortunately. One company wanting to charge me £85 for a 1 ton bag. :frown:
    I did this, but didn't come up with much unfortunately. One company wanting to charge me £85 for a 1 ton bag. :frown:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. CreakyJoints

Veg Beginner - Dying To Get Started

The nearest Wilko to me is 21.15 miles away via city bypass then motorway. I don't drive... But I see they do online shopping :) So, that's seed potatoes added to my shopping list too now :snorky:
    The nearest Wilko to me is 21.15 miles away via city bypass then motorway. I don't drive... But I see they do online shopping :) So, that's seed potatoes added to my shopping list too now :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options