1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 3

Vegetable Growing 2019

I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd be fine until I needed to start chitting them....
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    IMG_20190107_220747_hdr.jpg spudshoots.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2019

I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. misterQ
    Like x 6

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2018

@misterQ , great job on reporting your veggie trials , well done ! :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Steve R
    Like x 11

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

TALLEST SUNFLOWER AND LARGEST SUNFLOWER HEAD 2018

Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine, wherever it comes from, is precious:spinning:
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

Last of the 2018 tomatoes
    Hello World WP_20180102_14_02_43_Pro.jpg 48D3B431-E6F9-4757-AEF9-8E0519E96575.jpeg DEC75AAC-6536-425B-AA75-41F2592C70BE.jpeg GC micro tom.jpg GC micro tom2.jpg micro toms.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN GROWING THREAD 2018

This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests were made with the varieties Kennebec, Netted Gem,...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14.   » Normal Threads
  15. Steve R
    Like x 7

It's a good day when..

@CanadianLori , Seedlings, woohoo . I'm going to be trying annuals soon,
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

Parsnips

@Scrungee , I just checked the other thread, and I stated that I usually used to sow mid March.Edit : It looks like you were right, 3 weeks
    @Scrungee , I just checked the other thread, and I stated that I usually used to sow mid March.Edit : It looks like you were right, 3 weeks
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Vince

Don't tell Carol

And for me 16 weeks and ....Been making sure my sown seeds are at a comfy temp.I ordered some new seeds the other day and will probably receive them before the end of the month.Got some...
    And for me 16 weeks and ....Been making sure my sown seeds are at a comfy temp.I ordered some new seeds the other day and will probably receive them before the end of the month.Got some very nice vinca / pansy that is deep yellow witha sunburst of red veins, new tomato seeds, new seeds...
    And for me 16 weeks and ....Been making sure my sown seeds are at a comfy temp.I ordered some new seeds the other day and will probably receive them before the end of the month.Got some very nice vinca / pansy that is deep yellow witha...
    And for me 16 weeks and ....Been making sure my sown seeds are at a comfy temp.I ordered some new seeds the other day and will probably receive them before the end of the month.Got some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ricky101

Blueberry - Rootstock or Alien ?

Yeah, well I spose the goat willow leaf is most like a blueberry leaf, which could have caused a bit of confusion ..... mind you I am very very easily confused anyway.
    Yeah, well I spose the goat willow leaf is most like a blueberry leaf, which could have caused a bit of confusion ..... mind you I am very very easily confused anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Loki
    Like x 4

Chillies 2019

Its amazing that something that small will grow into a bush and bear fruit by late summer. Resisting the urge to plant mine just yet
    Its amazing that something that small will grow into a bush and bear fruit by late summer. Resisting the urge to plant mine just yet
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Warwick lad

Onions? which way??

Unless you’re looking at growing large onions, I see no reason why you couldn’t sow them after your move. Pretty sure I’ve sown at the beginning of March in the past, and produced decent sized onions.
    Unless you’re looking at growing large onions, I see no reason why you couldn’t sow them after your move. Pretty sure I’ve sown at the beginning of March in the past, and produced decent sized onions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. ricky101

Blueberry containers

Thank you ricky we will have to call in occasionally we call to Tankersley its not much further up the road, i used to fish at Worsbrough dam had some nice roach out of there.
    Thank you ricky we will have to call in occasionally we call to Tankersley its not much further up the road, i used to fish at Worsbrough dam had some nice roach out of there.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Steve R

No Dig

Sounds good Carliennon :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. lowrider69

why are my leeks so small??

Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little influence.Come planting out time. Well dug over area, light treading down of the soil to firm. Then...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little influence.Come planting out time. Well dug over area,...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Annemieke

What's the difference between cabbage and kale?

No, rookworst!
    No, rookworst!
    No, rookworst!
    No, rookworst!
    Unknown.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. ChilliPepper

Pea varieties, Early and Main

I did Victorian colossal. They started off good and tasted good but all died of powdery mildew. Seems to affect some of the plants in my garden. Will try something mildew resistant next year.
    I did Victorian colossal. They started off good and tasted good but all died of powdery mildew. Seems to affect some of the plants in my garden. Will try something mildew resistant next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. stony

Green Figs

Some pictures I took of mine,Hard as bullets.:biggrin:
    DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0055.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. pilotax

First time with Swiss Chard

Just as an aside if you like Beetroot I wouldn't bother to grow Swiss Chard. Beetroot was originally grown for it's leaves not root! The leaves are very similar in taste to Swiss Chard. So you get...
    Just as an aside if you like Beetroot I wouldn't bother to grow Swiss Chard. Beetroot was originally grown for it's leaves not root! The leaves are very similar in taste to Swiss Chard. So you get the root and leaves to eat. I grew Swiss Chard Bright Lights a few years ago and while it looked...
    Just as an aside if you like Beetroot I wouldn't bother to grow Swiss Chard. Beetroot was originally grown for it's leaves not root! The leaves are very similar in taste to Swiss Chard. So you get the root and leaves to eat. I grew Swiss Chard...
    Just as an aside if you like Beetroot I wouldn't bother to grow Swiss Chard. Beetroot was originally grown for it's leaves not root! The leaves are very similar in taste to Swiss Chard. So you get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Annemieke

How do I mash turnips or swedes?

If you bake them in the oven whole (about 1 1/2 hours) the skins peel off and you're left with lovely juicy flesh. That's what I do with butternut squash. I don't see why it would'nt work for...
    If you bake them in the oven whole (about 1 1/2 hours) the skins peel off and you're left with lovely juicy flesh. That's what I do with butternut squash. I don't see why it would'nt work for Swedes and turnips.G.
    If you bake them in the oven whole (about 1 1/2 hours) the skins peel off and you're left with lovely juicy flesh. That's what I do with butternut squash. I don't see why it would'nt work for Swedes and turnips.G.
    If you bake them in the oven whole (about 1 1/2 hours) the skins peel off and you're left with lovely juicy flesh. That's what I do with butternut squash. I don't see why it would'nt work for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Crumpy

Pumpkins

Yes needs some sun to ripen properly, but usually left on the plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Habanerohead

Forgotten onions - pull them or leave them in?

@JWKThanks. I'd been thinking they'd go tough like leeks, but you're right - thinking of when I'm cooking, the mushy ones are the ones that have sprouted.I'll get them up then.Cheers.
    @JWKThanks. I'd been thinking they'd go tough like leeks, but you're right - thinking of when I'm cooking, the mushy ones are the ones that have sprouted.I'll get them up then.Cheers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Kennywesley

Vegetable seeds you can sow now

Yep, ordinary garlic purchased from my local pavement stall vendor, £1 for 5 bulbs.Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'.Radish - I am growing them for the leaves.Gai Choy aka Chinese Mustard...
    Yep, ordinary garlic purchased from my local pavement stall vendor, £1 for 5 bulbs.Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'.Radish - I am growing them for the leaves.Gai Choy aka Chinese Mustard Greens.Pak Choy.
    Yep, ordinary garlic purchased from my local pavement stall vendor, £1 for 5 bulbs.Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'.Radish - I am growing them for the leaves.Gai Choy aka Chinese Mustard Greens.Pak Choy.
    Yep, ordinary garlic purchased from my local pavement stall vendor, £1 for 5 bulbs.Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'.Radish - I am growing them for the leaves.Gai Choy aka Chinese Mustard...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. silu

To pick or not to pick that is the question!

We've picked most of the cooking apples from a disabled friends tree, collected all the usuable windfalls, made apple pies for him (and us), bagged up some picked apples for him to give to others,...
    We've picked most of the cooking apples from a disabled friends tree, collected all the usuable windfalls, made apple pies for him (and us), bagged up some picked apples for him to give to others, pressed enough cooker juice to mix with eater juice (bottled last year) made 18 galls cider, and...
    We've picked most of the cooking apples from a disabled friends tree, collected all the usuable windfalls, made apple pies for him (and us), bagged up some picked apples for him to give to others, pressed enough cooker juice to mix with eater...
    We've picked most of the cooking apples from a disabled friends tree, collected all the usuable windfalls, made apple pies for him (and us), bagged up some picked apples for him to give to others,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. workatron

Can someone help me identify these berries?

Before I saw the answers I thought they were grapes and laughed at myself for potentially eating poisonous berries if I was there =pEdit: They look lovely though are they easy to grow?
    Before I saw the answers I thought they were grapes and laughed at myself for potentially eating poisonous berries if I was there =pEdit: They look lovely though are they easy to grow?
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Sac22

Peppers?

Think that might be the one! Thank you for your help everyone :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options