1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↑ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what day. Didn't start till last week and so far have...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

Chillies 2024

Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are about 1 inch long, I transfer them into small rockwool cubes and move them into the growtent under grow...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are about 1 inch long, I transfer them into small...
    Waterbut,I grow my chillies hydroponically (i.e. no soil). My process is as follows........1. I germinate the seeds on paper towel in Ziploc bags at room temperature 22C.2. When they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are used as second earlies , as salad (new ) potatoes.
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

It was very professional ... well done.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof above tomatoes and protection from the winds, it heats and cools down along with outside. During the...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof above tomatoes and protection from the winds, it...
    I'd ideally want an extended harvesting period. I tried to sow early, mid and late varieties this season. Let's see how it goes. I'm still learning. I learnt that 6×8 greenhouse is more a roof...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. wargarden2017

1918 war garden plan from chicago tribune.

here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Drahcir

Thoughts on enviromesh.

Deleted by self.
    Deleted by self.
    Deleted by self.
    Deleted by self.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bear1

Apple trees keep dieing

Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the main trunck it's only 2 years old , I have a 3 year old fiesta that seems to be ok and I got a...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the main trunck it's only 2 years old , I have a 3...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. TheMadHedger

Cercospora Leaf Spot on beetroot leaves

So I have Cercospora Leaf Spot on some of my beetroot leaves - it's not bad but I've removed the affected leaves. My fault really having never grown beetroot before; the leaves have grown very...
    So I have Cercospora Leaf Spot on some of my beetroot leaves - it's not bad but I've removed the affected leaves. My fault really having never grown beetroot before; the leaves have grown very well (as have the roots) and the leaves are much too close together (I have the plants in a large...
    So I have Cercospora Leaf Spot on some of my beetroot leaves - it's not bad but I've removed the affected leaves. My fault really having never grown beetroot before; the leaves have grown very well (as have the roots) and the leaves are much too...
    So I have Cercospora Leaf Spot on some of my beetroot leaves - it's not bad but I've removed the affected leaves. My fault really having never grown beetroot before; the leaves have grown very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. burnie

First of 2023

Some Radish, French breakfast................well it's a start lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. BillyBumbleBeard

Making better use of ~4m of fence AKA Vertical Garden/Hydroponics?

Hi All,In our back garden there's a south facing section approx. 4 fence panels long, I want to use it for a "Vertical gardening" project so was thinking:1) Use green metal "box profile"...
    Hi All,In our back garden there's a south facing section approx. 4 fence panels long, I want to use it for a "Vertical gardening" project so was thinking:1) Use green metal "box profile" roofing sheets to clad the whole lot to start (screw to existing concrete fence panels. Can get these in...
    Hi All,In our back garden there's a south facing section approx. 4 fence panels long, I want to use it for a "Vertical gardening" project so was thinking:1) Use green metal "box profile" roofing sheets to clad the whole lot to start (screw to...
    Hi All,In our back garden there's a south facing section approx. 4 fence panels long, I want to use it for a "Vertical gardening" project so was thinking:1) Use green metal "box profile"...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Selleri

Edible gardening with a twist- share your experiments

I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps enough to feed the family but at least the aphids are happy. And to be honest, for half a 10p bag of...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps enough to feed the family but at least the aphids are...
    I hope I'm not the only one who likes to do some rather unorthodox experiments with plants- please share your adventures :heehee:French beans sown in September are finally giving crops. Not perhaps...
    nepa.jpg beans1.jpg beans2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Bear

Apple scab

I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to stop it coming back /kill it ? Also thinking of buying a ballyvaughan seedling apple tree is a irish...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to stop it coming back /kill it ? Also thinking of...
    I have fiesta apple tree 3 yeats planted gave me one apple this year but has brow spot /patches on leaves which looks to be apple scab ,what is the most effective synthetic our natural spray to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Clueless 1 v2

All the things I didn't know I didn't know about cucumber

This is fascinating. Lots of useless but interesting info about cucumbers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Scrungee

Livingstone late season rhubarb

Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the plants some years. Saw this 'Livingstone' late season stuff and wondered if worth getting some for...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the plants some years. Saw this 'Livingstone' late...
    Rheum x hybridum 'Livingstone' (PBR) | rhubarb 'Livingstone'/RHS GardeningAnybody grow it?I don't eat Rhubarb, but Mrs Scrungee likes it and wants to carry on picking it which almost kills the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Graham B

Boozy berries

We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the results.Strawberry vodka is kind of a partial...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months later, it was time to strain them and inspect the...
    We'd picked some blackberries over the summer, and I also had some strawberries from Tesco which started to turn before we could eat them. Answer? Blackberry brandy and strawberry vodka! 2 months...
    15997710861650.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. peter121

re rhubarb.

good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved...
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved to new house so i do not know what the name is. regards peter.
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved to new house so i do not know what the name is....
    good morning. could anyone give me any advice on red leaf. is the crown diseased and have to be disposed of or can it be salvaged. would appreciate any feed back. ps was inherited when we moved...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. TomatoFail

Brown spots on yellow tomatoes

Hello,New to the forum, thank you for the welcome! We just started vegetable gardening at home. We have some past experience but are growing yellow tomatoes for the first time and have two...
    Hello,New to the forum, thank you for the welcome! We just started vegetable gardening at home. We have some past experience but are growing yellow tomatoes for the first time and have two questions it would be great if someone can help with:1) We grew yellow stuffer tomatoes but they have...
    Hello,New to the forum, thank you for the welcome! We just started vegetable gardening at home. We have some past experience but are growing yellow tomatoes for the first time and have two questions it would be great if someone can help...
    Hello,New to the forum, thank you for the welcome! We just started vegetable gardening at home. We have some past experience but are growing yellow tomatoes for the first time and have two...
    IMG_20200901_1127369.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. PP1

Squash Mashed Potato Harvest?

Hi all. I planted 2 of these squash in a potato grow bag 20th May. The 1st photo is the big one that was 1st to take hold. I have lots of younger fruit that are clearly not ready, but the big...
    Hi all. I planted 2 of these squash in a potato grow bag 20th May. The 1st photo is the big one that was 1st to take hold. I have lots of younger fruit that are clearly not ready, but the big one is a good month in advance. Can I harvest this one? I thought it was a winter squash so had to...
    Hi all. I planted 2 of these squash in a potato grow bag 20th May. The 1st photo is the big one that was 1st to take hold. I have lots of younger fruit that are clearly not ready, but the big one is a good month in advance. Can I harvest this...
    Hi all. I planted 2 of these squash in a potato grow bag 20th May. The 1st photo is the big one that was 1st to take hold. I have lots of younger fruit that are clearly not ready, but the big...
    20200825_141220.jpg 20200825_141235.jpg 20200825_141236.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. fuchsialady

Cherry help

In 2018 I bought a dwarf cherry tree - I think it is a Stella, certainly a self pollinating one. Last year it did nothing (apart from grow a bit), but i just thought it needed time to...
    In 2018 I bought a dwarf cherry tree - I think it is a Stella, certainly a self pollinating one. Last year it did nothing (apart from grow a bit), but i just thought it needed time to acclimatize. This year it had about 6 blossom flowers but they came to nothing. Disappointing to say the...
    In 2018 I bought a dwarf cherry tree - I think it is a Stella, certainly a self pollinating one. Last year it did nothing (apart from grow a bit), but i just thought it needed time to acclimatize. This year it had about 6 blossom flowers but...
    In 2018 I bought a dwarf cherry tree - I think it is a Stella, certainly a self pollinating one. Last year it did nothing (apart from grow a bit), but i just thought it needed time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Ruth82

Redcurrent bush

Hi folks At my parents they have 3 blackcurrent and 1 or two redcurrant bush. Maybe up to ten years old. both have fruited ok thus year. but the red current has died back completely to crispy...
    Hi folks At my parents they have 3 blackcurrent and 1 or two redcurrant bush. Maybe up to ten years old. both have fruited ok thus year. but the red current has died back completely to crispy brown leaves. While the blackcurrants still have green leaves I'm much more partial to the red...
    Hi folks At my parents they have 3 blackcurrent and 1 or two redcurrant bush. Maybe up to ten years old. both have fruited ok thus year. but the red current has died back completely to crispy brown leaves. While the blackcurrants still have...
    Hi folks At my parents they have 3 blackcurrent and 1 or two redcurrant bush. Maybe up to ten years old. both have fruited ok thus year. but the red current has died back completely to crispy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. CecyFleur

Epazote - a Mexican herb in London

Mr Fleur is Mexican and an amazing chef so this year I thought I'd try and grow epazote, a Mexican herb, to encourage him to make the dishes he refuses to without this little guy being available!...
    Mr Fleur is Mexican and an amazing chef so this year I thought I'd try and grow epazote, a Mexican herb, to encourage him to make the dishes he refuses to without this little guy being available!Mexican sites aren't super useful with care notes - it's pretty invasive and fast growing out...
    Mr Fleur is Mexican and an amazing chef so this year I thought I'd try and grow epazote, a Mexican herb, to encourage him to make the dishes he refuses to without this little guy being available!Mexican sites aren't super useful with care...
    Mr Fleur is Mexican and an amazing chef so this year I thought I'd try and grow epazote, a Mexican herb, to encourage him to make the dishes he refuses to without this little guy being available!...
    20200712_172607.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. TheMadHedger

Rhubarb - problems with 'new' crown

A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added some good, free draining soil to the hole before planting the crown). I made sure that the tip of the...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added some good, free draining soil to the hole before...
    A friend of my wife's has a lot of rhubarb (which she doesn't even like!) and she gave my wife a crown last winter. I planted it in a nice, sunny spot (the soil is a bit 'clay-like' but I added...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Paul Blackburn

Problems with my Asparagus

I seem to be having a problem with my Asparagus.This is their third season so hoped to be able to harvest some.But recently I have noticed that the spearrs seem to be very soft almost rotten and...
    I seem to be having a problem with my Asparagus.This is their third season so hoped to be able to harvest some.But recently I have noticed that the spearrs seem to be very soft almost rotten and bent over.Was not sure what caused this so went online to see if I could get any information and...
    I seem to be having a problem with my Asparagus.This is their third season so hoped to be able to harvest some.But recently I have noticed that the spearrs seem to be very soft almost rotten and bent over.Was not sure what caused this so went...
    I seem to be having a problem with my Asparagus.This is their third season so hoped to be able to harvest some.But recently I have noticed that the spearrs seem to be very soft almost rotten and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Scotkat

Parsnip Tape Seeds

First time growing any Parsips.
    69B6457D-EF86-4F05-92DC-6367AE2ED153.jpeg D6CEEF7E-1F8D-4966-BC80-AF5528676149.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice