1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Steve R
    Like x 3

Vegetable Growing 2019

I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd be fine until I needed to start chitting them....
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed and the radiators were kept off - I thought they'd...
    I put aside some 'Jazzy' potatoes from a store bought and mostly eaten bag from ASDA a few months ago. Individually wrapped in newspaper, under a desk, in a room where the blinds were kept closed...
    IMG_20190107_220747_hdr.jpg spudshoots.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    The final harvest of the season.Rewinding a little...The proof of concept now exists in pictures.Now, go forth and try your own hand at grafting pepmatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

THE TOMATO SEED SWAP THREAD 2018

It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    It's only partially archived, only tomato varieties beginning with the letter A Category:Tomato Variety List - Tatiana's TOMATOBaseEverything else is missing, for example
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

THE TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2018

Last of the 2018 tomatoes
    Hello World WP_20180102_14_02_43_Pro.jpg 48D3B431-E6F9-4757-AEF9-8E0519E96575.jpeg DEC75AAC-6536-425B-AA75-41F2592C70BE.jpeg GC micro tom.jpg GC micro tom2.jpg micro toms.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. misterQ
    Like x 6

The Spud In A Bucket Growing Competition 2018

@misterQ , great job on reporting your veggie trials , well done ! :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    I've done nothing at all with them this year, my whole crop is in the freezer .... Apart from the care packages I have sent out to people.Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

THE TATTIES THREAD 2018

I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests were made with the varieties Kennebec, Netted Gem,...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this year.Steve...:)Second paragraph: "Propagation tests...
    I only saw the Kennebecs mentioned in the article, unless I missed something too. No surprise in that I guess its one of their more popular varieties, and mine too after growing them this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

TALLEST SUNFLOWER AND LARGEST SUNFLOWER HEAD 2018

Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine, wherever it comes from, is precious:spinning:
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal, it can destroy people, to have a ray of sunshine,...
    Ooh dear ,feeling sad, just seen Gail's name. I'll say one thing only, then say no more. I miss her cheery outlook on life! I think we all sometimes need that! Life can be cruel, it can be brutal,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Like x 11

Sowing seeds too early.

We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    We do it every year don't we! Too eager to begin the process and end up with weak, leggy seedlings :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

PUMPKIN GROWING THREAD 2018

This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    This is what I wanted to do when I set my target of 500lb a few years ago...Pumpkin boat takes to riverSteve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Zigs
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2019

I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    I changed my mind and put 28 seeds in soil blocks. Late for this but figured if you can do it, I should get the lead out. Another year of medium but tasty onions ... hopefully...:fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14.   » Normal Threads
  15. Zigs

Ziggys' West Bay,Dorset Veg Plot

Foots getting better, so got out to try to catch up with the weeding today. things do get away from you at this time of year. Willow earthed up the Tiddies for me. Salads &...
    Foots getting better, so got out to try to catch up with the weeding today. things do get away from you at this time of year. Willow earthed up the Tiddies for me. Salads & Carrots have come on well. I'm sure there were more Strawberries than that when I asked Willow to...
    Foots getting better, so got out to try to catch up with the weeding today. things do get away from you at this time of year. Willow earthed up the Tiddies for me. Salads & Carrots have come on well. I'm sure there were...
    Foots getting better, so got out to try to catch up with the weeding today. things do get away from you at this time of year. Willow earthed up the Tiddies for me. Salads &...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. herbs&flowers

Yuzu, grafted vs seedling fruit quality

I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a plant and it tuned up in that manner I'd be slightly suspicious.But then again, nothing ventured,...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a plant and it tuned up in that manner I'd be...
    I agree, but it suggests it is from an individual that has planted some seeds rather than a commercial seller. If a friend sent me a plant like that I would be very happy.If I paid money for a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. silu

Yucky frozen Mange Tout

When I used to grow loads of runner beans some years ago, we used to go down the road of slicing them and then blanching them.They never turned to mush, but they were bloody tasteless.Never...
    When I used to grow loads of runner beans some years ago, we used to go down the road of slicing them and then blanching them.They never turned to mush, but they were bloody tasteless.Never bothered after that.Better off buying them in the supermarket.
    When I used to grow loads of runner beans some years ago, we used to go down the road of slicing them and then blanching them.They never turned to mush, but they were bloody tasteless.Never bothered after that.Better off buying them in the...
    When I used to grow loads of runner beans some years ago, we used to go down the road of slicing them and then blanching them.They never turned to mush, but they were bloody tasteless.Never...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. GYO newbie

Yuck - whats this?

I think it's some sort of peziza cup fungus, nothing to worry about.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Freddy

Your spuds

Hi Fretters. No secrets, just planted them and that's it. I DO reckon that raised beds help though. This is my first year back (gardening) after some 20 years. Because space is relatively limited,...
    Hi Fretters. No secrets, just planted them and that's it. I DO reckon that raised beds help though. This is my first year back (gardening) after some 20 years. Because space is relatively limited, and having read that raised beds can produce more per sq yd, I decided that it was the way to go,...
    Hi Fretters. No secrets, just planted them and that's it. I DO reckon that raised beds help though. This is my first year back (gardening) after some 20 years. Because space is relatively limited, and having read that raised beds can produce more...
    Hi Fretters. No secrets, just planted them and that's it. I DO reckon that raised beds help though. This is my first year back (gardening) after some 20 years. Because space is relatively limited,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. hydrogardener

Young tender beet greens

Pete, Actually I read the same thing several years ago. That said, getting the salt into the system is the easy part, but getting it out of the porous clay pellets would be a nightmare.
    Pete, Actually I read the same thing several years ago. That said, getting the salt into the system is the easy part, but getting it out of the porous clay pellets would be a nightmare.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. DOdgecuk

Young Onions

Well me and my girlfriend ate them. Lovely they were too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Lucky7even

Young Morello Cherry Tree

Thanks, will have a look for that in my garden centre!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. TheMadHedger

Young Cucumber plant - edges of leaves yellowing

Thanks, I'll post here if there is any great change (for good or bad).Good luck with yours too. :)
    Thanks, I'll post here if there is any great change (for good or bad).Good luck with yours too. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ellwilll

yorkshire veg growers?

I'm a little further north than you ellwilll in North West Cumbria and so far I have only planted potatoes outside, under cover I have all manner of veg growing away happliy, from the tenderest -...
    I'm a little further north than you ellwilll in North West Cumbria and so far I have only planted potatoes outside, under cover I have all manner of veg growing away happliy, from the tenderest - toms and Chillis to the more hardy onions shallots leeks etc. I prefer to give as much of my veg as...
    I'm a little further north than you ellwilll in North West Cumbria and so far I have only planted potatoes outside, under cover I have all manner of veg growing away happliy, from the tenderest - toms and Chillis to the more hardy onions shallots...
    I'm a little further north than you ellwilll in North West Cumbria and so far I have only planted potatoes outside, under cover I have all manner of veg growing away happliy, from the tenderest -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. shiney

Yippee!! Yum Yum!! Runner Beans

Last week I planted some dwarf runners, this week they are up,what do you reckon the chances are of getting a good crop in Oct? Just thought I would give it a go as most runners all come at once...
    Last week I planted some dwarf runners, this week they are up,what do you reckon the chances are of getting a good crop in Oct? Just thought I would give it a go as most runners all come at once and as there is only me and I hate frozen beans, the variety is "Hestia" any one had experience?
    Last week I planted some dwarf runners, this week they are up,what do you reckon the chances are of getting a good crop in Oct? Just thought I would give it a go as most runners all come at once and as there is only me and I hate frozen beans,...
    Last week I planted some dwarf runners, this week they are up,what do you reckon the chances are of getting a good crop in Oct? Just thought I would give it a go as most runners all come at once...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Vince

Yippee

they are peppers pam and I did find a ripe cayenne one hiding! we had them for dinner this evening :)Don't even think of mentioning courgettes or marrows - (very angry emoticon!) :@
    they are peppers pam and I did find a ripe cayenne one hiding! we had them for dinner this evening :)Don't even think of mentioning courgettes or marrows - (very angry emoticon!) :@
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Hadeda

Ying Yang Beans

It sure does. Thanks :DI'll have best of both of the worlds. I'll grow them then make the soup from the harvest :PSeems like someones going to do a bit of travelling :Dlol I always got...
    It sure does. Thanks :DI'll have best of both of the worlds. I'll grow them then make the soup from the harvest :PSeems like someones going to do a bit of travelling :Dlol I always got my eye out for recipes :D
    It sure does. Thanks :DI'll have best of both of the worlds. I'll grow them then make the soup from the harvest :PSeems like someones going to do a bit of travelling :Dlol I always got my eye out for recipes :D
    It sure does. Thanks :DI'll have best of both of the worlds. I'll grow them then make the soup from the harvest :PSeems like someones going to do a bit of travelling :Dlol I always got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Axie-Ali

yeyyy, Ive got mangetout

I only had flowers a few days ago but we have had so much rain here lately that everything has shot up! keep watching them....it wont be long, like I said, mine seem to have grown in days!
    I only had flowers a few days ago but we have had so much rain here lately that everything has shot up! keep watching them....it wont be long, like I said, mine seem to have grown in days!
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Snowbaby

yey! peppers

I've grown mine in pots on the windowsill in the lounge. They were mini peppers and have had about twenty peppers so far. They look great. I just keep mine we'll watered and also used a soft...
    I've grown mine in pots on the windowsill in the lounge. They were mini peppers and have had about twenty peppers so far. They look great. I just keep mine we'll watered and also used a soft paintbrush to pollinate the flowers as they opened. Seems to have done the trick!
    I've grown mine in pots on the windowsill in the lounge. They were mini peppers and have had about twenty peppers so far. They look great. I just keep mine we'll watered and also used a soft paintbrush to pollinate the flowers as they opened....
    I've grown mine in pots on the windowsill in the lounge. They were mini peppers and have had about twenty peppers so far. They look great. I just keep mine we'll watered and also used a soft...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Jack by the hedge

Yet another tomato question!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bought some sweet william seed from Nicky's nursery last year and was pleased with the results so I shall have a look at the Chiquita seeds being sold.
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bought some sweet william seed from Nicky's nursery last year and was pleased with the results so I shall have a look at the Chiquita seeds being sold.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Fidgetsmum

Yep, yet another tomato query - sorry

You suggest, as I suspected, removal. I don't see the need for them either so, thank you for that.
    You suggest, as I suspected, removal. I don't see the need for them either so, thank you for that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. PrincessJelly

Yellowing of pumpkin plants

It's way too early to plant outside (assuming you are in the UK). It looks like cold damage. Put them back in their pots and bring them indoors for a couple of weeks at least. Tonight is forecast...
    It's way too early to plant outside (assuming you are in the UK). It looks like cold damage. Put them back in their pots and bring them indoors for a couple of weeks at least. Tonight is forecast a frost so you will lose them if they are left outside. I don't plant mine outside until late...
    It's way too early to plant outside (assuming you are in the UK). It looks like cold damage. Put them back in their pots and bring them indoors for a couple of weeks at least. Tonight is forecast a frost so you will lose them if they are left...
    It's way too early to plant outside (assuming you are in the UK). It looks like cold damage. Put them back in their pots and bring them indoors for a couple of weeks at least. Tonight is forecast...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. David G

Yellow Tomato leaves

It's unlikely to be magnesium deficiency yet, but as Kristen say it won't hurt to try. I would say your seed compost may have run out of nutrients. I would pot them on or give them a half dose of...
    It's unlikely to be magnesium deficiency yet, but as Kristen say it won't hurt to try. I would say your seed compost may have run out of nutrients. I would pot them on or give them a half dose of tomato feed.
    It's unlikely to be magnesium deficiency yet, but as Kristen say it won't hurt to try. I would say your seed compost may have run out of nutrients. I would pot them on or give them a half dose of tomato feed.
    It's unlikely to be magnesium deficiency yet, but as Kristen say it won't hurt to try. I would say your seed compost may have run out of nutrients. I would pot them on or give them a half dose of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Phoenix

Yellow Sweetcorn

Got it. Maize white line virus
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options