1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title ↑
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Chillies 2024

Thanks for your prompt response @Oswald Bastable . I sowed Jalapeno, Kamanaki, Joe E Parker, Pumpkin Spice and Tasmanian Black
    Thanks for your prompt response @Oswald Bastable . I sowed Jalapeno, Kamanaki, Joe E Parker, Pumpkin Spice and Tasmanian Black
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are used as second earlies , as salad (new ) potatoes.
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !! Perhaps they will all be 'bakers' ??, my Charlottes are...
    You could have cut them up if you had wanted. That would have given a larger(R) crop. Will be interested to see if you get an enlarged output, never having done such an extravagant thing !!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what day. Didn't start till last week and so far have...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

Mine is 6x8 too :) I got it form my neighbour. Me and my husband moved it by ourselves. I cut the finger, when washing glass panes, didn't have a fingerprint to unlock my phone for a while:)
    Mine is 6x8 too :) I got it form my neighbour. Me and my husband moved it by ourselves. I cut the finger, when washing glass panes, didn't have a fingerprint to unlock my phone for a while:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

It was very professional ... well done.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. mojo

" Good Old King Henry" ? ?

Brill roders ,:thmb: thank you so much . I have looked on their site and will be getting some seed . mojo.:):thku:
    Brill roders ,:thmb: thank you so much . I have looked on their site and will be getting some seed . mojo.:):thku:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Adam Moran

"Climbing" Cobra beans

I might be that its my first year on the plot and i havent put any fertilizer down.Next year i will prepare a "trench" with all the food they could want.Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I might be that its my first year on the plot and i havent put any fertilizer down.Next year i will prepare a "trench" with all the food they could want.Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Trunky

"DIY TomTato - Grafting Tomatoes onto Potatoes 2014"

@miraflores I had another go at them last year:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snowbaby

"furry" green beans

Just pick and eat them, they're fine, nothing to worry about!Blanch and freeze any surplus though, I've just done a load and have loads more to pick and freeze, the more you pick the more you...
    Just pick and eat them, they're fine, nothing to worry about!Blanch and freeze any surplus though, I've just done a load and have loads more to pick and freeze, the more you pick the more you get, Enjoy!
    Just pick and eat them, they're fine, nothing to worry about!Blanch and freeze any surplus though, I've just done a load and have loads more to pick and freeze, the more you pick the more you get, Enjoy!
    Just pick and eat them, they're fine, nothing to worry about!Blanch and freeze any surplus though, I've just done a load and have loads more to pick and freeze, the more you pick the more you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. miraflores

"miniature vegetables"

No, i'm just a pyromaniac & I like parafin with its pinky oily colour. Its a marvelous accelerant:inautumnleaves:Only joshing there, yes, it disguises the smell of damaged carrot foliage...
    No, i'm just a pyromaniac & I like parafin with its pinky oily colour. Its a marvelous accelerant:inautumnleaves:Only joshing there, yes, it disguises the smell of damaged carrot foliage which the carrot root fly homes in on.Had no damage last season, for the first time ever....
    No, i'm just a pyromaniac & I like parafin with its pinky oily colour. Its a marvelous accelerant:inautumnleaves:Only joshing there, yes, it disguises the smell of damaged carrot foliage which the carrot root fly homes in on.Had no...
    No, i'm just a pyromaniac & I like parafin with its pinky oily colour. Its a marvelous accelerant:inautumnleaves:Only joshing there, yes, it disguises the smell of damaged carrot foliage...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Sian in Belgium
    Like x 3

"No dig" raised beds? Monty, you're having a laugh!

My raised beds suffer similar root invasion from an adjacent philadelphus and dry soil from a wall. The effect is clearly graduated with the soil closest to the wall worst affected and likewise...
    My raised beds suffer similar root invasion from an adjacent philadelphus and dry soil from a wall. The effect is clearly graduated with the soil closest to the wall worst affected and likewise the plants. I divide my rasied beds area into 2 areas and plant my fast growing, hungry veg away from...
    My raised beds suffer similar root invasion from an adjacent philadelphus and dry soil from a wall. The effect is clearly graduated with the soil closest to the wall worst affected and likewise the plants. I divide my rasied beds area into 2...
    My raised beds suffer similar root invasion from an adjacent philadelphus and dry soil from a wall. The effect is clearly graduated with the soil closest to the wall worst affected and likewise...
    IMG_4705.JPG IMG_4706.JPG IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4708.JPG IMG_4709.JPG raised bed philadelphus.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Drahcir

"Old" fr3nch beans.

If possible, let the beans dry on the plant until the outer skin goes brown. Then take the seeds out, put them in a paper bag (remember those :whistle:) and store in a dry place to sow them next year. :blue thumb:
    If possible, let the beans dry on the plant until the outer skin goes brown. Then take the seeds out, put them in a paper bag (remember those :whistle:) and store in a dry place to sow them next year. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. nikirushka

"Pentland Javelin" taters

Nikirushka I depends on where you live/plant as to when you plant (due to frosts been over) frost will kill your crop if above groundYour earlies should be chitted starting now and planted early...
    Nikirushka I depends on where you live/plant as to when you plant (due to frosts been over) frost will kill your crop if above groundYour earlies should be chitted starting now and planted early AprilRoughly Early take 16 weeks to grow second early 18 weeks to grow and Main 20 or so weeks to...
    Nikirushka I depends on where you live/plant as to when you plant (due to frosts been over) frost will kill your crop if above groundYour earlies should be chitted starting now and planted early AprilRoughly Early take 16 weeks to grow second...
    Nikirushka I depends on where you live/plant as to when you plant (due to frosts been over) frost will kill your crop if above groundYour earlies should be chitted starting now and planted early...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. David G

"Perfection" Cucumbers

hi davegood grief you grow loads ! i would like to do more but not got the room like yourself i have got a lawn at the back for the kids to play although i am going to ban them if i find any...
    hi davegood grief you grow loads ! i would like to do more but not got the room like yourself i have got a lawn at the back for the kids to play although i am going to ban them if i find any more footballs in my pots .well i have been good this week untill i had an email from thompson and...
    hi davegood grief you grow loads ! i would like to do more but not got the room like yourself i have got a lawn at the back for the kids to play although i am going to ban them if i find any more footballs in my pots .well i have been good...
    hi davegood grief you grow loads ! i would like to do more but not got the room like yourself i have got a lawn at the back for the kids to play although i am going to ban them if i find any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. "M"
    Like x 3

"Volunteer" Edibles 2013

Had to look up Physalis, Pete :redface: Wouldn't object if that found its way into my garden as a "volunteer" :heehee:
    Had to look up Physalis, Pete :redface: Wouldn't object if that found its way into my garden as a "volunteer" :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. ricky101

'Berries and Fertilizers

Yes I am limited for space and now health isn't so good. Used to grow most of the 'Berries' when working a large allottment with my father, but that was over fifty years ago. Also whe employed...
    Yes I am limited for space and now health isn't so good. Used to grow most of the 'Berries' when working a large allottment with my father, but that was over fifty years ago. Also whe employed by the MOD. As with home grown produce, you can always tell the difference.
    Yes I am limited for space and now health isn't so good. Used to grow most of the 'Berries' when working a large allottment with my father, but that was over fifty years ago. Also whe employed by the MOD. As with home grown produce, you can...
    Yes I am limited for space and now health isn't so good. Used to grow most of the 'Berries' when working a large allottment with my father, but that was over fifty years ago. Also whe employed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Blueroses

'EMILIE' cucumber all male flowers

Fair enough Dai, would you remove most flowers to start with though?
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. JWK

'Grafted' peppers

Will try and get a picture up, thanks :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Scrungee

'Out of date' packs of rhubarb

Yes I do!
    Yes I do!
    Yes I do!
    Yes I do!
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. sparkle

'purple dragon' carrots

I harvested my first baby carrots a few days ago and they were amazing - tasted just when my dad dug babe carrots for me when I was little. I have never grown any before, but they had absolutly no...
    I harvested my first baby carrots a few days ago and they were amazing - tasted just when my dad dug babe carrots for me when I was little. I have never grown any before, but they had absolutly no problems with them. I recommend this variety for ease of growing, taste, and of course the groovy...
    I harvested my first baby carrots a few days ago and they were amazing - tasted just when my dad dug babe carrots for me when I was little. I have never grown any before, but they had absolutly no problems with them. I recommend this variety for...
    I harvested my first baby carrots a few days ago and they were amazing - tasted just when my dad dug babe carrots for me when I was little. I have never grown any before, but they had absolutly no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Axie-Ali

'rescued' tomatoes

Brilliant thanks, Larkshall and Steve. I'm definately going to give it a go, even if, as Blueroses says, its just for the experiment! As for my original post, my 20p toms hare doing brilliantly...
    Brilliant thanks, Larkshall and Steve. I'm definately going to give it a go, even if, as Blueroses says, its just for the experiment! As for my original post, my 20p toms hare doing brilliantly and have grown up enough to be spending the days out and nights still in the greenhouse, I'll plant...
    Brilliant thanks, Larkshall and Steve. I'm definately going to give it a go, even if, as Blueroses says, its just for the experiment! As for my original post, my 20p toms hare doing brilliantly and have grown up enough to be spending the days out...
    Brilliant thanks, Larkshall and Steve. I'm definately going to give it a go, even if, as Blueroses says, its just for the experiment! As for my original post, my 20p toms hare doing brilliantly...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Fidgetsmum

'Teeny Beanie' question

Pinching the tops out will make them grow new climbing tendrils from the base, in which case you could extend the cropping season, so could be a smart move. If you got two stories, you could...
    Pinching the tops out will make them grow new climbing tendrils from the base, in which case you could extend the cropping season, so could be a smart move. If you got two stories, you could pick out of the bedroom window.
    Pinching the tops out will make them grow new climbing tendrils from the base, in which case you could extend the cropping season, so could be a smart move. If you got two stories, you could pick out of the bedroom window.
    Pinching the tops out will make them grow new climbing tendrils from the base, in which case you could extend the cropping season, so could be a smart move. If you got two stories, you could...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. capney
    Funny x 3

....Carrots....

Very impressive! I am excited to see how mine come out, this may be setting the bar slightly too high though!
    Very impressive! I am excited to see how mine come out, this may be setting the bar slightly too high though!
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. saint_david

1 Big Tomato

Thanks Alice, As the weather is due to be so nice I think I will remove the Chilli plant from the growhouse and place in a warm spot. Once the fruit has set it was my understanding that to get...
    Thanks Alice, As the weather is due to be so nice I think I will remove the Chilli plant from the growhouse and place in a warm spot. Once the fruit has set it was my understanding that to get more heat into them they should be kept warm and that "stressing" them at somepoint can help with this...
    Thanks Alice, As the weather is due to be so nice I think I will remove the Chilli plant from the growhouse and place in a warm spot. Once the fruit has set it was my understanding that to get more heat into them they should be kept warm and that...
    Thanks Alice, As the weather is due to be so nice I think I will remove the Chilli plant from the growhouse and place in a warm spot. Once the fruit has set it was my understanding that to get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. SteveG

10 deg OK for my Tomato plants

ive gone for the bold aproce . i strarted mine off outside today no protection . in pots not straight in the ground . at this time 11:55 ive got 15°c outside if they dont come up ile plant some...
    ive gone for the bold aproce . i strarted mine off outside today no protection . in pots not straight in the ground . at this time 11:55 ive got 15°c outside if they dont come up ile plant some more seeds in a week or so
    ive gone for the bold aproce . i strarted mine off outside today no protection . in pots not straight in the ground . at this time 11:55 ive got 15°c outside if they dont come up ile plant some more seeds in a week or so
    ive gone for the bold aproce . i strarted mine off outside today no protection . in pots not straight in the ground . at this time 11:55 ive got 15°c outside if they dont come up ile plant some...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice