1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↑
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but were still in good condition so I thought I would give it a go. It will be interesting to see how...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but were still in good condition so I thought I would...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK

Chillies 2024

Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it...
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it will be ok. Will be away from direct sun for the next few days.
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it will be ok. Will be away from direct sun for the...
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what day. Didn't start till last week and so far have...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

Planted out the leek seedlings. Brilliant germination. 2 and a half rows.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just brought into our living room on very cold nights:Side by side Sungolds, the pampered one on the...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just brought into our living room on very cold nights: ...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just...
    IMG_20240101_115347288_HDR-01.jpeg PXL_20240102_090758852.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-02 141338.png upload_2024-1-3_9-5-0.png PXL_20240106_053459565~2.jpg 20240107_003708.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. Stephen Southwest

Wild rocket germination tips?

Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope another, later sowing will take. I used to leave a...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sargan

Planting Garlic - Spring

I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. misterQ
    Like x 3

The Bucket Growing Competition 2024

Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    bucket_competition_01.jpg bucket_competition_02.jpg bucket_competition_03.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. hi2u_uk

any tips for this cranberry plant

If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Februarysgirl

Chicken Manure Pellets & Veg

@BobTG Thanks :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Bear1

Potato drills

Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Greecko

Shipping to Northern Ireland

There is a sticky thread hereUK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Baalmaiden

whether to pinch out tall peas

I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. wargarden2017

1918 war garden plan from chicago tribune.

here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Honey Bee

New Veg Plot

I'm sooo excited!!!!! (and I think I need to get out more!!!!!) Having ditched the enormous trampoline the little darlings had (they are now both oik-y teenagers) I have spent today preparing the...
    I'm sooo excited!!!!! (and I think I need to get out more!!!!!) Having ditched the enormous trampoline the little darlings had (they are now both oik-y teenagers) I have spent today preparing the area for a veg plot. T'other 'arf will be putting making the raised eges on Saturday for me, and...
    I'm sooo excited!!!!! (and I think I need to get out more!!!!!) Having ditched the enormous trampoline the little darlings had (they are now both oik-y teenagers) I have spent today preparing the area for a veg plot. T'other 'arf will be putting...
    I'm sooo excited!!!!! (and I think I need to get out more!!!!!) Having ditched the enormous trampoline the little darlings had (they are now both oik-y teenagers) I have spent today preparing the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Kitte

Broad beans.

Yes, of course if you want to.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. dowtish

Seedlings safe to move to unheated greenhouse?

Grandma Sue, They look fine to me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Jowo

Edemame advice

How do you mean, too early, most times plants that need longer warmer growing conditions need planting early.
    How do you mean, too early, most times plants that need longer warmer growing conditions need planting early.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Shaneoak

Sucker branch?

Usually if its grafted there is a definite lump at some point on the stem, and usually there is a clear length of stem. I think you might have a cutting.The browning on the leaf sounds like...
    Usually if its grafted there is a definite lump at some point on the stem, and usually there is a clear length of stem. I think you might have a cutting.The browning on the leaf sounds like some kind moth damage from last year.
    Usually if its grafted there is a definite lump at some point on the stem, and usually there is a clear length of stem. I think you might have a cutting.The browning on the leaf sounds like some kind moth damage from last year.
    Usually if its grafted there is a definite lump at some point on the stem, and usually there is a clear length of stem. I think you might have a cutting.The browning on the leaf sounds like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. GardenGuru

Vegetable patch

i have sown directly into the ground: beetroot, savoy cabbage, brocolli (excuse the spelling!), some parmex (mini) carrots. Also, i have just planted out some cauliflowers grown in the greenhouse...
    i have sown directly into the ground: beetroot, savoy cabbage, brocolli (excuse the spelling!), some parmex (mini) carrots. Also, i have just planted out some cauliflowers grown in the greenhouse and early and sugar snap peas.is there any particular reason you asked?thanks
    i have sown directly into the ground: beetroot, savoy cabbage, brocolli (excuse the spelling!), some parmex (mini) carrots. Also, i have just planted out some cauliflowers grown in the greenhouse and early and sugar snap peas.is there any...
    i have sown directly into the ground: beetroot, savoy cabbage, brocolli (excuse the spelling!), some parmex (mini) carrots. Also, i have just planted out some cauliflowers grown in the greenhouse...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. David G

Summer Cabbage

They will be happy being planted a bit deep. I find that Brassicas often have a curled-up stem once they are at 4-5 true leaf stage (although this year mine are all nice & upright :) ) and I plant...
    They will be happy being planted a bit deep. I find that Brassicas often have a curled-up stem once they are at 4-5 true leaf stage (although this year mine are all nice & upright :) ) and I plant them so that just the good top part is showing from the soil so they grow firmer, they hate rocking...
    They will be happy being planted a bit deep. I find that Brassicas often have a curled-up stem once they are at 4-5 true leaf stage (although this year mine are all nice & upright :) ) and I plant them so that just the good top part is showing from...
    They will be happy being planted a bit deep. I find that Brassicas often have a curled-up stem once they are at 4-5 true leaf stage (although this year mine are all nice & upright :) ) and I plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. jennywren

Squash - pick or leave

Thanks Kristen, I'll leave them till we get back and keep fingers crossed for no frost.
    Thanks Kristen, I'll leave them till we get back and keep fingers crossed for no frost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Waco

how pretty are your veg ?

Love the signature :D :D :DAnd i never knew vedge could look like that! I'm starting a vedge patch for hubby and love the cabbage pic especially.Forget "say it with flowers" say it with...
    Love the signature :D :D :DAnd i never knew vedge could look like that! I'm starting a vedge patch for hubby and love the cabbage pic especially.Forget "say it with flowers" say it with cabbage :D
    Love the signature :D :D :DAnd i never knew vedge could look like that! I'm starting a vedge patch for hubby and love the cabbage pic especially.Forget "say it with flowers" say it with cabbage :D
    Love the signature :D :D :DAnd i never knew vedge could look like that! I'm starting a vedge patch for hubby and love the cabbage pic especially.Forget "say it with flowers" say it with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. rustyroots

Tomato and peppers

You don't say what medium you are growing them in at present. Growbags are O.K. but I would hold the growbag round the middle and allow equal amounts of soil/compost to fall to each end. ...
    You don't say what medium you are growing them in at present. Growbags are O.K. but I would hold the growbag round the middle and allow equal amounts of soil/compost to fall to each end. Then cut along one side of the bag but leave the lower side intact. a few stabs along the bottom of...
    You don't say what medium you are growing them in at present. Growbags are O.K. but I would hold the growbag round the middle and allow equal amounts of soil/compost to fall to each end. Then cut along one side of the bag but leave the...
    You don't say what medium you are growing them in at present. Growbags are O.K. but I would hold the growbag round the middle and allow equal amounts of soil/compost to fall to each end. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. cajary

Blueberries

Hi, guys. There was a thread that gave full cultural instructions for Blueberries but I can't find it on the "Search" facility. Now I've got a computer that I can print off of, can someone tell...
    Hi, guys. There was a thread that gave full cultural instructions for Blueberries but I can't find it on the "Search" facility. Now I've got a computer that I can print off of, can someone tell me where it was? Please
    Hi, guys. There was a thread that gave full cultural instructions for Blueberries but I can't find it on the "Search" facility. Now I've got a computer that I can print off of, can someone tell me where it was? Please
    Hi, guys. There was a thread that gave full cultural instructions for Blueberries but I can't find it on the "Search" facility. Now I've got a computer that I can print off of, can someone tell...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice