1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Chillimad

Kumquat

Hmm, not from personal experience but these popped up in google -
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. blacksmith2

sweet corn

Sounds like they were not fertilized - and thus won't develop now. Quite a common occurrence (pollen stops being produced before the cob has grown to max size during fertilization period, I...
    Sounds like they were not fertilized - and thus won't develop now. Quite a common occurrence (pollen stops being produced before the cob has grown to max size during fertilization period, I think) Peel back a bit further, press a fingernail into a corn and if the liquid comes out milky its ripe.
    Sounds like they were not fertilized - and thus won't develop now. Quite a common occurrence (pollen stops being produced before the cob has grown to max size during fertilization period, I think) Peel back a bit further, press a fingernail...
    Sounds like they were not fertilized - and thus won't develop now. Quite a common occurrence (pollen stops being produced before the cob has grown to max size during fertilization period, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. xNattyx

Chillies wont ripen

Hi I woudnt worry, its the poor summer we have had plus my tomato's have only gone red in the past two weeks, and chillies/peppers always follow at least two weeks later. Are you growing in a...
    Hi I woudnt worry, its the poor summer we have had plus my tomato's have only gone red in the past two weeks, and chillies/peppers always follow at least two weeks later. Are you growing in a greenhouse ?? Spruce
    Hi I woudnt worry, its the poor summer we have had plus my tomato's have only gone red in the past two weeks, and chillies/peppers always follow at least two weeks later. Are you growing in a greenhouse ?? Spruce
    Hi I woudnt worry, its the poor summer we have had plus my tomato's have only gone red in the past two weeks, and chillies/peppers always follow at least two weeks later. Are you growing in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. LowiePete

Propagating French Tarragon

I've had a similar experience, it's so difficult to find and so much better than the Russian tarragon it's worth holding on to if you can. Like you I searched for seed without success and...
    I've had a similar experience, it's so difficult to find and so much better than the Russian tarragon it's worth holding on to if you can. Like you I searched for seed without success and eventually managed to find plants in a farmers market, pretty rare in garden centres etc. The other rare...
    I've had a similar experience, it's so difficult to find and so much better than the Russian tarragon it's worth holding on to if you can. Like you I searched for seed without success and eventually managed to find plants in a farmers market,...
    I've had a similar experience, it's so difficult to find and so much better than the Russian tarragon it's worth holding on to if you can. Like you I searched for seed without success and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kayleigh

HELP! Boskoop Glory Grape Vine

We have a ginormouse grape vine growing in the largest of our greenhouses. It was already there from the previous owners. We virtually do nothing to it except tidy it up after it dies back. A...
    We have a ginormouse grape vine growing in the largest of our greenhouses. It was already there from the previous owners. We virtually do nothing to it except tidy it up after it dies back. A friend of ours takes the ripe grapes for wine and some of the leaves too. It looks like they used wire...
    We have a ginormouse grape vine growing in the largest of our greenhouses. It was already there from the previous owners. We virtually do nothing to it except tidy it up after it dies back. A friend of ours takes the ripe grapes for wine and some...
    We have a ginormouse grape vine growing in the largest of our greenhouses. It was already there from the previous owners. We virtually do nothing to it except tidy it up after it dies back. A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Markymark

are my spuds ready?

I usually wait to after they've flowered and then foliage starts to wilt, but this year I dug mine early because they wet weather was threatening to kill them. The tiny spuds you saw will have...
    I usually wait to after they've flowered and then foliage starts to wilt, but this year I dug mine early because they wet weather was threatening to kill them. The tiny spuds you saw will have grown bigger if you'd left them, but its too late now. Incidentally, don't waste the tiny ones (unless...
    I usually wait to after they've flowered and then foliage starts to wilt, but this year I dug mine early because they wet weather was threatening to kill them. The tiny spuds you saw will have grown bigger if you'd left them, but its too late...
    I usually wait to after they've flowered and then foliage starts to wilt, but this year I dug mine early because they wet weather was threatening to kill them. The tiny spuds you saw will have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. rustyroots

Foreign seeds.

Si certamente . Hi Rusty , actually do not follow the instruction in Italian as the temperature over there is different , treat them as you would in UK , bit late for the pepper , but you should...
    Si certamente . Hi Rusty , actually do not follow the instruction in Italian as the temperature over there is different , treat them as you would in UK , bit late for the pepper , but you should be ok for the salad . Check if in the salad you have Radicchio , as it actually hardy salad and the...
    Si certamente . Hi Rusty , actually do not follow the instruction in Italian as the temperature over there is different , treat them as you would in UK , bit late for the pepper , but you should be ok for the salad . Check if in the salad you...
    Si certamente . Hi Rusty , actually do not follow the instruction in Italian as the temperature over there is different , treat them as you would in UK , bit late for the pepper , but you should...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ninhydrin

Celery

I bought some plugs off ebay this time last year and they did very well. I think that would be your best bet.
    I bought some plugs off ebay this time last year and they did very well. I think that would be your best bet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. pamsdish

Runner Beans

The first lot of flowers don't always get pollinated. It won't be too long before they set and then the plants will start producing in abundance. This weather, at the moment, is what they really...
    The first lot of flowers don't always get pollinated. It won't be too long before they set and then the plants will start producing in abundance. This weather, at the moment, is what they really like - warm and wet. They are not keen on hot and dry.
    The first lot of flowers don't always get pollinated. It won't be too long before they set and then the plants will start producing in abundance. This weather, at the moment, is what they really like - warm and wet. They are not keen on hot...
    The first lot of flowers don't always get pollinated. It won't be too long before they set and then the plants will start producing in abundance. This weather, at the moment, is what they really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. daznjo

cucumber flowers

Yes, 1st photo are males, second photo is female. If F1 Female-only variety then remove all male flowers. You may get a few at the beginning of the season but should get no more. Supposedly F1...
    Yes, 1st photo are males, second photo is female. If F1 Female-only variety then remove all male flowers. You may get a few at the beginning of the season but should get no more. Supposedly F1 female-only varieties only produce males when stressed - so perhaps review your husbandry in case...
    Yes, 1st photo are males, second photo is female. If F1 Female-only variety then remove all male flowers. You may get a few at the beginning of the season but should get no more. Supposedly F1 female-only varieties only produce males when...
    Yes, 1st photo are males, second photo is female. If F1 Female-only variety then remove all male flowers. You may get a few at the beginning of the season but should get no more. Supposedly F1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ellwilll

when you grow bell peppers, how many do you get?

Well strictly speaking, pepper plants aren't annuals so they'll carry on cropping as long as they survive.
    Well strictly speaking, pepper plants aren't annuals so they'll carry on cropping as long as they survive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. blacksmith

french beans

I grow them for an early crop, and again (sown around 1st August) for a late Autumn crop. I did trying growing climbing French - that was a disaster of foliage and no beans - they loved the...
    I grow them for an early crop, and again (sown around 1st August) for a late Autumn crop. I did trying growing climbing French - that was a disaster of foliage and no beans - they loved the conditions in my greenhouse in Spring! Dunno about mid-Summer though, might be too hot
    I grow them for an early crop, and again (sown around 1st August) for a late Autumn crop. I did trying growing climbing French - that was a disaster of foliage and no beans - they loved the conditions in my greenhouse in Spring! Dunno about...
    I grow them for an early crop, and again (sown around 1st August) for a late Autumn crop. I did trying growing climbing French - that was a disaster of foliage and no beans - they loved the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Bilbo675

Baby Rhubarb Coming on Nicely..

Looking good to me, Bilbo.:thumbsup::snork: I've still got two Rhubarb plants from seed I "liberated" from a garden over 25 years ago.
    Looking good to me, Bilbo.:thumbsup::snork: I've still got two Rhubarb plants from seed I "liberated" from a garden over 25 years ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Deano Gledson

Cos lettuce - drooping

I suspect it is too hot in your conservatory. Lettuce is a "cool season" crop, and does better in Spring and Autumn than Summer - and I guess your conservatory is more like Summer? Make sure...
    I suspect it is too hot in your conservatory. Lettuce is a "cool season" crop, and does better in Spring and Autumn than Summer - and I guess your conservatory is more like Summer? Make sure they have plenty of water
    I suspect it is too hot in your conservatory. Lettuce is a "cool season" crop, and does better in Spring and Autumn than Summer - and I guess your conservatory is more like Summer? Make sure they have plenty of water
    I suspect it is too hot in your conservatory. Lettuce is a "cool season" crop, and does better in Spring and Autumn than Summer - and I guess your conservatory is more like Summer? Make sure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. blacksmith

onions

Hi there. This is quite normal. At this time they will be 'making leaf'. Maybe in another month or so(?) they will start to swell. Have no fear:)
    Hi there. This is quite normal. At this time they will be 'making leaf'. Maybe in another month or so(?) they will start to swell. Have no fear:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Markymark

Bell Peppers...

One plant per pot will use up water and nutrients slower than 2+plants so if you can, use separate pots for each. I'm actually trialling 1, 2 and 3 plants per pot although in 14" pots. If the...
    One plant per pot will use up water and nutrients slower than 2+plants so if you can, use separate pots for each. I'm actually trialling 1, 2 and 3 plants per pot although in 14" pots. If the plants get too big or wobbly, stake them
    One plant per pot will use up water and nutrients slower than 2+plants so if you can, use separate pots for each. I'm actually trialling 1, 2 and 3 plants per pot although in 14" pots. If the plants get too big or wobbly, stake them
    One plant per pot will use up water and nutrients slower than 2+plants so if you can, use separate pots for each. I'm actually trialling 1, 2 and 3 plants per pot although in 14" pots. If the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. cm_851

More advice needed!!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about peppers. it does look like sun scorch on your tomatoes though. Have you watered them before or when the sun has been on them? The drops of water will act like a...
    Sorry, I don't know anything about peppers. it does look like sun scorch on your tomatoes though. Have you watered them before or when the sun has been on them? The drops of water will act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaves.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about peppers. it does look like sun scorch on your tomatoes though. Have you watered them before or when the sun has been on them? The drops of water will act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaves.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about peppers. it does look like sun scorch on your tomatoes though. Have you watered them before or when the sun has been on them? The drops of water will act like a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Bradshaw_John

Minature Fruit Trees

First things first - I'd suggest your pots are far too small. They need to be in something at least 18" in diameter, this may seem a bit big for what are currently your 'baby' trees but their...
    First things first - I'd suggest your pots are far too small. They need to be in something at least 18" in diameter, this may seem a bit big for what are currently your 'baby' trees but their eventual height depends whether they're true dwarf trees or just minature ones and that in turn depends...
    First things first - I'd suggest your pots are far too small. They need to be in something at least 18" in diameter, this may seem a bit big for what are currently your 'baby' trees but their eventual height depends whether they're true dwarf...
    First things first - I'd suggest your pots are far too small. They need to be in something at least 18" in diameter, this may seem a bit big for what are currently your 'baby' trees but their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. David Lewis

Peas waterlogged

Welcome to the forum :) It depends on how long they remain waterlogged, they will be OK for a few days.Any chance of digging a sump or allowing the water to drain off to a lower part of the garden?
    Welcome to the forum :) It depends on how long they remain waterlogged, they will be OK for a few days.Any chance of digging a sump or allowing the water to drain off to a lower part of the garden?
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. imnew

What do i do with this?

It'll be in the same place for many years so dig in a bucket of well rotted manure or compost & some Blood, Fish & Bonemeal before planting. Then give it a dressing of high potash fertiliser every...
    It'll be in the same place for many years so dig in a bucket of well rotted manure or compost & some Blood, Fish & Bonemeal before planting. Then give it a dressing of high potash fertiliser every spring. Failing that, some wood ash & another handfull of B,F & B. You'll need to net it as the...
    It'll be in the same place for many years so dig in a bucket of well rotted manure or compost & some Blood, Fish & Bonemeal before planting. Then give it a dressing of high potash fertiliser every spring. Failing that, some wood ash & another...
    It'll be in the same place for many years so dig in a bucket of well rotted manure or compost & some Blood, Fish & Bonemeal before planting. Then give it a dressing of high potash fertiliser every...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice