1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Craig1987

Winter onions - disaster!

well, it turned out that the flower spikes were the least of my worries!My bulbs got massive, couldn't believe the size of them. I reassured myself that the onions with the flower spikes could...
    well, it turned out that the flower spikes were the least of my worries!My bulbs got massive, couldn't believe the size of them. I reassured myself that the onions with the flower spikes could be used to make an onion gravy with the middle spike/crunchy bit thrown away until i started to...
    well, it turned out that the flower spikes were the least of my worries!My bulbs got massive, couldn't believe the size of them. I reassured myself that the onions with the flower spikes could be used to make an onion gravy with the middle...
    well, it turned out that the flower spikes were the least of my worries!My bulbs got massive, couldn't believe the size of them. I reassured myself that the onions with the flower spikes could...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. golfer

Winter onions

Don't forget quidco cashback on those too!! 7% i think
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sheelaghm

winter onions

You can 'Google' fact sheets on any veg you are growing and it is most useful.:thumb::)
    You can 'Google' fact sheets on any veg you are growing and it is most useful.:thumb::)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. clueless1

Winter onions

I had these over wintering onions called swift, pulled in may or june the were larger than tennis balls and lasted the rest of the year. Don.
    I had these over wintering onions called swift, pulled in may or june the were larger than tennis balls and lasted the rest of the year. Don.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Welshman

Winter in the greenhouse

I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    20220502_111748.jpg IMG_20220501_132359502_HDR.jpg 59DC3A80-7861-4F15-8DC4-904639339868.jpeg 33CFF411-7880-48C0-874A-77A133AE9128.jpeg 4001EAE5-FD4E-4057-9AA7-419FC7DCFF92.jpeg A217D37F-3EF3-45A6-9500-B97B9393CA32.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. cathysue

Winter harvests

Hi cathysue, you already have parsnips, jerusalem artichoke etc. growing? Some ideas for sowing and planting now and next month, to overwinter and eat fresh from the plotAllium Onion Cipolla...
    Hi cathysue, you already have parsnips, jerusalem artichoke etc. growing? Some ideas for sowing and planting now and next month, to overwinter and eat fresh from the plotAllium Onion Cipolla Rossa Savonese (Franchi) Allium Stuttgart Giant Allium Onion Senshyu Yellow (Japanese)...
    Hi cathysue, you already have parsnips, jerusalem artichoke etc. growing? Some ideas for sowing and planting now and next month, to overwinter and eat fresh from the plotAllium Onion Cipolla Rossa Savonese (Franchi) Allium Stuttgart...
    Hi cathysue, you already have parsnips, jerusalem artichoke etc. growing? Some ideas for sowing and planting now and next month, to overwinter and eat fresh from the plotAllium Onion Cipolla...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. galaxysue

winter garlic

Kandyfloss, your onions will do their growing after the longest day - that's when they put a spurt on when the days start to shorten so be patient a little longer. If you have lots you can start...
    Kandyfloss, your onions will do their growing after the longest day - that's when they put a spurt on when the days start to shorten so be patient a little longer. If you have lots you can start eating them any time you like. I pick the red onions small and use them in salads for spring onions,...
    Kandyfloss, your onions will do their growing after the longest day - that's when they put a spurt on when the days start to shorten so be patient a little longer. If you have lots you can start eating them any time you like. I pick the red...
    Kandyfloss, your onions will do their growing after the longest day - that's when they put a spurt on when the days start to shorten so be patient a little longer. If you have lots you can start...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fat Controller

Winter crops?

Well, I planted some plug plants of cabbage and cauliflower. .....will let you know if I have any luck[emoji3] [emoji256]Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
    Well, I planted some plug plants of cabbage and cauliflower. .....will let you know if I have any luck[emoji3] [emoji256]Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Greecko

Winter crops

I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you...
    I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you like to eat. Lettuce can be grown too. I don't like it so don't bother.
    I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you like to eat. Lettuce can be grown too. I don't...
    I'd spend the time getting rid of those nasty weeds. I've marestail too, blinking nuisance. I like to grow spinach and chard. Both stand through the dismal Scottish weather. It depends on what you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Richard360

Winter crops

Chickens? Do they need to overwinter indoors? Ours wander the garden Summer or Winter, Rain or Shine ...I would have thought they would have wrecked any plants in a confined area - scrabbling...
    Chickens? Do they need to overwinter indoors? Ours wander the garden Summer or Winter, Rain or Shine ...I would have thought they would have wrecked any plants in a confined area - scrabbling about. Mine do!
    Chickens? Do they need to overwinter indoors? Ours wander the garden Summer or Winter, Rain or Shine ...I would have thought they would have wrecked any plants in a confined area - scrabbling about. Mine do!
    Chickens? Do they need to overwinter indoors? Ours wander the garden Summer or Winter, Rain or Shine ...I would have thought they would have wrecked any plants in a confined area - scrabbling...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. beans

Winter cabbages

Thanks for the reply maybe they were a little early, too much going on last year for me to remember now
    Thanks for the reply maybe they were a little early, too much going on last year for me to remember now
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. sterile

Winter cabbage

Yes - I find it's better to keep all my brassicas together, I net them to keep off pigeons. Also from the crop rotation point of view it makes sense to keep all the same family of plants in one bed.
    Yes - I find it's better to keep all my brassicas together, I net them to keep off pigeons. Also from the crop rotation point of view it makes sense to keep all the same family of plants in one bed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lb7110

Wine or table grapes?????

:lollol: You're on..!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. windy miller

Windy's Veg Disaster

Fancy,You have convinced me to grow the caulifowers my hubby so dearly loves, yours are gorgeous, well done
    Fancy,You have convinced me to grow the caulifowers my hubby so dearly loves, yours are gorgeous, well done
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. windy miller

windy sweetcorn

Hello all, I'm trying veg for the very first time this year. I've got potatoes in buckets, carrots in deep pots and sweet corn in old chicken manure pellet tubs. Oh yes and a tomato plant. Not...
    Hello all, I'm trying veg for the very first time this year. I've got potatoes in buckets, carrots in deep pots and sweet corn in old chicken manure pellet tubs. Oh yes and a tomato plant. Not too sure what i'm doing with any of them, but I thought I'd give it a go.I'm now considering...
    Hello all, I'm trying veg for the very first time this year. I've got potatoes in buckets, carrots in deep pots and sweet corn in old chicken manure pellet tubs. Oh yes and a tomato plant. Not too sure what i'm doing with any of them, but I...
    Hello all, I'm trying veg for the very first time this year. I've got potatoes in buckets, carrots in deep pots and sweet corn in old chicken manure pellet tubs. Oh yes and a tomato plant. Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. nightofjoy

Windowsill Gherkins / cucumbers

Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Pollination is what is required by the sounds of it, get at it with a soft brush at midday.I think the massive one is the size they should be.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Clueless 1 v2

Window sill edibles

I'd try watercress.' Aqua' from Unwins, in tray or pots. Doesn't need running water but is best kept well damp. When it eventually runs to seed, save and resow.
    I'd try watercress.' Aqua' from Unwins, in tray or pots. Doesn't need running water but is best kept well damp. When it eventually runs to seed, save and resow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. moyra

Windfall Tomatoes

I don't know John but it is only happening with my small variety not the Moneymakers. It is a few more than one or two. I am wondering whether it is time I harvested them all. I was only picking...
    I don't know John but it is only happening with my small variety not the Moneymakers. It is a few more than one or two. I am wondering whether it is time I harvested them all. I was only picking them as I needed them but there are getting too many ready now. I have already put a lot down in...
    I don't know John but it is only happening with my small variety not the Moneymakers. It is a few more than one or two. I am wondering whether it is time I harvested them all. I was only picking them as I needed them but there are getting too...
    I don't know John but it is only happening with my small variety not the Moneymakers. It is a few more than one or two. I am wondering whether it is time I harvested them all. I was only picking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. auldreekie

Wind damage to potato

Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Thanks John
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Tropical_Gaz

Win a how to grow veg dvd

The diligent gardener website is giving away a dvd on how to grow veg.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice