Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. dalbuie

courgettes?

Thanks I will give the chocolate cake a try :)I found a great recipe for marrow and roast garlic soup it was very yummy, so yummy I have made it twice so far !
    Thanks I will give the chocolate cake a try :)I found a great recipe for marrow and roast garlic soup it was very yummy, so yummy I have made it twice so far !
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. birdy

christmas potato

Hi Oli I am no expert but all I do is put a potato that is shooting in a pot(quite large) and keep topping it up as the shoots appear, and when it gets to the top of the pot leave it to grow as...
    Hi Oli I am no expert but all I do is put a potato that is shooting in a pot(quite large) and keep topping it up as the shoots appear, and when it gets to the top of the pot leave it to grow as normal. The main thing is to cover it when frost is in the air, and hey presto on Christmas day turn...
    Hi Oli I am no expert but all I do is put a potato that is shooting in a pot(quite large) and keep topping it up as the shoots appear, and when it gets to the top of the pot leave it to grow as normal. The main thing is to cover it when frost is...
    Hi Oli I am no expert but all I do is put a potato that is shooting in a pot(quite large) and keep topping it up as the shoots appear, and when it gets to the top of the pot leave it to grow as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. DJ

Squash plants

Would love to help but have got the same problem,well 1 fruit but Idon't know if it's pollinated.Does anyone know if you can eat sqash flowers like courgettes?
    Would love to help but have got the same problem,well 1 fruit but Idon't know if it's pollinated.Does anyone know if you can eat sqash flowers like courgettes?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. dekesta

strange vegetable

I dont think its a vegtable. Sounds a bit like Thorn Apple or some kind of annual Datura, if so its poisonous. Not easy to ID without a picture but be wary of it until your sure.
    I dont think its a vegtable. Sounds a bit like Thorn Apple or some kind of annual Datura, if so its poisonous. Not easy to ID without a picture but be wary of it until your sure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. kerripaul

Very Poor Marrows

My marrows were planted in seed trays on 23/3 potted on 10/04 and four planted out under fleece 2/5. Then one took second prize in the local show on 25/6. They are still doing well, with about six...
    My marrows were planted in seed trays on 23/3 potted on 10/04 and four planted out under fleece 2/5. Then one took second prize in the local show on 25/6. They are still doing well, with about six small ones developing now.
    My marrows were planted in seed trays on 23/3 potted on 10/04 and four planted out under fleece 2/5. Then one took second prize in the local show on 25/6. They are still doing well, with about six small ones developing now.
    My marrows were planted in seed trays on 23/3 potted on 10/04 and four planted out under fleece 2/5. Then one took second prize in the local show on 25/6. They are still doing well, with about six...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. leanne

garlic

Hi you usually plant the clove opposed to the bulb...simply dig it up and break it down into cloves Click here and read under the plant garlic part
    Hi you usually plant the clove opposed to the bulb...simply dig it up and break it down into cloves Click here and read under the plant garlic part
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. fothers

what veg to plant now?

excellent thanks, I will try and find some today.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. aqua

Veg for winter in tubs

also purple sprouting, lots of iron.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. dabbit

Beetroot

hans, on the subject of poor compost, there's a lot of it about. I know we need to conserve peat, but since they've stopped putting it in composts the stuff we have now is pretty awfull. There...
    hans, on the subject of poor compost, there's a lot of it about. I know we need to conserve peat, but since they've stopped putting it in composts the stuff we have now is pretty awfull. There doesn't seem to be any fertiliser in the stuff, and it goes from soaking wet to bone dry in a couple...
    hans, on the subject of poor compost, there's a lot of it about. I know we need to conserve peat, but since they've stopped putting it in composts the stuff we have now is pretty awfull. There doesn't seem to be any fertiliser in the stuff, and...
    hans, on the subject of poor compost, there's a lot of it about. I know we need to conserve peat, but since they've stopped putting it in composts the stuff we have now is pretty awfull. There...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Herb

New potatoes

I've just planted my potatoes for October to Christmas and aparently I was told they'd be fine if I protect them from frost (i.e in greenhouse or cover with fleece)...You can certainly grow them...
    I've just planted my potatoes for October to Christmas and aparently I was told they'd be fine if I protect them from frost (i.e in greenhouse or cover with fleece)...You can certainly grow them in pots and containers and this was my first year for new potatoes in the summer, and they are so...
    I've just planted my potatoes for October to Christmas and aparently I was told they'd be fine if I protect them from frost (i.e in greenhouse or cover with fleece)...You can certainly grow them in pots and containers and this was my first year...
    I've just planted my potatoes for October to Christmas and aparently I was told they'd be fine if I protect them from frost (i.e in greenhouse or cover with fleece)...You can certainly grow them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Will Dunkerley

Green / Red Peppers and Chillis?

Lots of help, thanks DalbuieI think my chillis are cayenne, so I'll hope for some red ones - if that's what happens to the peppers though, I think I'll pick them green, because I haven't got...
    Lots of help, thanks DalbuieI think my chillis are cayenne, so I'll hope for some red ones - if that's what happens to the peppers though, I think I'll pick them green, because I haven't got so many of those.Thanks again
    Lots of help, thanks DalbuieI think my chillis are cayenne, so I'll hope for some red ones - if that's what happens to the peppers though, I think I'll pick them green, because I haven't got so many of those.Thanks again
    Lots of help, thanks DalbuieI think my chillis are cayenne, so I'll hope for some red ones - if that's what happens to the peppers though, I think I'll pick them green, because I haven't got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. warthog

lack of fruit

Thanks Pete, I will try and look out and protect them this winter-will let you know! Regards Warthog
    Thanks Pete, I will try and look out and protect them this winter-will let you know! Regards Warthog
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Rab

Coriander

Ah, the beauties of Perthshire... one day I'm going back... oops, gone off-topic there! Coriander. I sowed once this year and it's nice and big and leafy. I didn't know to sow regularly, but it...
    Ah, the beauties of Perthshire... one day I'm going back... oops, gone off-topic there! Coriander. I sowed once this year and it's nice and big and leafy. I didn't know to sow regularly, but it seems happy, and very tasty with egg salad or curried chickpea salad!
    Ah, the beauties of Perthshire... one day I'm going back... oops, gone off-topic there! Coriander. I sowed once this year and it's nice and big and leafy. I didn't know to sow regularly, but it seems happy, and very tasty with egg salad or...
    Ah, the beauties of Perthshire... one day I'm going back... oops, gone off-topic there! Coriander. I sowed once this year and it's nice and big and leafy. I didn't know to sow regularly, but it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GARDENANGEL

GREEN GAGE

Thanks All!!Steve I have printed off the info sheet for my gardening folder. Ladybird, I normally put a band around my apple tree, so will now be doing this to my green gage in future.Thanks...
    Thanks All!!Steve I have printed off the info sheet for my gardening folder. Ladybird, I normally put a band around my apple tree, so will now be doing this to my green gage in future.Thanks againGA
    Thanks All!!Steve I have printed off the info sheet for my gardening folder. Ladybird, I normally put a band around my apple tree, so will now be doing this to my green gage in future.Thanks againGA
    Thanks All!!Steve I have printed off the info sheet for my gardening folder. Ladybird, I normally put a band around my apple tree, so will now be doing this to my green gage in future.Thanks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. elkhorn

Tomato alicante

Or was it called hardback? or green hardback or hard greenback? anyway thats what alicante gets
    Or was it called hardback? or green hardback or hard greenback? anyway thats what alicante gets
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Neil

Brassicas

Hi Neil, you have a few options, one is spray with Derris, spend time picking off the caterpillers or if you have children, offer them a penny each for every caterpiller they put into an old...
    Hi Neil, you have a few options, one is spray with Derris, spend time picking off the caterpillers or if you have children, offer them a penny each for every caterpiller they put into an old can,then you pour boiling water onto the caterpillers. Or finally make up a garlic spray and confuse the...
    Hi Neil, you have a few options, one is spray with Derris, spend time picking off the caterpillers or if you have children, offer them a penny each for every caterpiller they put into an old can,then you pour boiling water onto the caterpillers....
    Hi Neil, you have a few options, one is spray with Derris, spend time picking off the caterpillers or if you have children, offer them a penny each for every caterpiller they put into an old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hans

marrow ?

At the moment SteveW it seems to have only male flowers but if anything developes I shall post. Thanks so far.
    At the moment SteveW it seems to have only male flowers but if anything developes I shall post. Thanks so far.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Lissy2

Pollinating my cucumber and courgette plants

Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males are just on a stalkCourgettes need pollinating by insects to develop fruit or tickle inside a male...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males are just on a stalkCourgettes need pollinating...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Rogthefish

Sweet Peppers(capsicum)

I've got redskin plants and plenty of fruit.Can someone tell me how big they will get and if I leave them on the plant if they will ripen and turn red?ThanksFeline
    I've got redskin plants and plenty of fruit.Can someone tell me how big they will get and if I leave them on the plant if they will ripen and turn red?ThanksFeline
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Paladin

Tomato leaves

You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to have.So I always remove quite a few when the fruit have arrived. By that time it hardly matters as...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to have.So I always remove quite a few when the fruit...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice