1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What's looking good APRIL 2024 Michael Hewett, Apr 20, 2024 at 10:32 AM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best supplier of compost 2024 gks, Apr 17, 2024 at 9:07 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Annuals that slugs and snails dislike BB3, Apr 19, 2024 at 8:17 PM
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Got new pullets noisette47, Jul 30, 2023
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. rustyroots

Grit, perlite or vermiculite.

Think you'll need the grit for your paths, guys :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. dazanteney4

Waterbut and a hosepipe

You only have the head of water to supply your hose pipe. If the butt is full you should get adequate pressure at the tap when filling a watering can. My set up is pretty much the same as yours. I...
    You only have the head of water to supply your hose pipe. If the butt is full you should get adequate pressure at the tap when filling a watering can. My set up is pretty much the same as yours. I would rule out any kind of hose pipe because of the head of water. I assume you will be holding the...
    You only have the head of water to supply your hose pipe. If the butt is full you should get adequate pressure at the tap when filling a watering can. My set up is pretty much the same as yours. I would rule out any kind of hose pipe because of...
    You only have the head of water to supply your hose pipe. If the butt is full you should get adequate pressure at the tap when filling a watering can. My set up is pretty much the same as yours. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jungle Jane

Restoring a Privet Hedge

Wash your mouth out! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. xNattyx

Lawn care with dogs

Hi Xnattyx , Westland lawn feed is OK to use . Water it in well and keep pets and kids off it for 24 hours.....................:blue thumb:
    Hi Xnattyx , Westland lawn feed is OK to use . Water it in well and keep pets and kids off it for 24 hours.....................:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kayleigh

Last Frost?

Apparently mine's the first week of May... But I'm ready now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. garden_fiend

Why use soot in the garden?

I guess what you say is true Dave W about wood ash being OK and so would wood soot. But we are so used to thinking that soot is toxic, from the old coal-fire days, that we can't see past this...
    I guess what you say is true Dave W about wood ash being OK and so would wood soot. But we are so used to thinking that soot is toxic, from the old coal-fire days, that we can't see past this point. Also, can't see either of us s****ing soot out of our chimney even if it is beneficial. So I...
    I guess what you say is true Dave W about wood ash being OK and so would wood soot. But we are so used to thinking that soot is toxic, from the old coal-fire days, that we can't see past this point. Also, can't see either of us s****ing soot...
    I guess what you say is true Dave W about wood ash being OK and so would wood soot. But we are so used to thinking that soot is toxic, from the old coal-fire days, that we can't see past this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. scooby-mas

Acers Help

Hi @JackJJWNot too sunny as it will scorch the leaves especially on young plants/shrub (out of full sun from 12.00 till 3.00) plus remember its in recovery , the good thing is they do...
    Hi @JackJJWNot too sunny as it will scorch the leaves especially on young plants/shrub (out of full sun from 12.00 till 3.00) plus remember its in recovery , the good thing is they do toughen up over the years
    Hi @JackJJWNot too sunny as it will scorch the leaves especially on young plants/shrub (out of full sun from 12.00 till 3.00) plus remember its in recovery , the good thing is they do toughen up over the years
    Hi @JackJJWNot too sunny as it will scorch the leaves especially on young plants/shrub (out of full sun from 12.00 till 3.00) plus remember its in recovery , the good thing is they do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Bunslip

B&Q Lavender

I met a fantastic knowledgeable gardener who worked for B&Q, unfortunately he worked in a different department, but he did give me some useful advice.
    I met a fantastic knowledgeable gardener who worked for B&Q, unfortunately he worked in a different department, but he did give me some useful advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kristen
    Like x 3

Water Conservation Gardening

I'm not conserving water at the moment. It's about two weeks since we had rain. The soil is so dry that it's cracking up so the sprinkler has been on all day - moving it around the garden.
    I'm not conserving water at the moment. It's about two weeks since we had rain. The soil is so dry that it's cracking up so the sprinkler has been on all day - moving it around the garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Sirius

Builders sand in the garden

+1I can confirm that the Wickes own brand sharp sand as sold in the large jumbo bags is great for growing crops in.Mixed with compost and/or vermiculite to improve moisture retention (about...
    +1I can confirm that the Wickes own brand sharp sand as sold in the large jumbo bags is great for growing crops in.Mixed with compost and/or vermiculite to improve moisture retention (about 15% in volume) and fertiliser for plant nutrients, I've demonstrated that you can indeed successfully...
    +1I can confirm that the Wickes own brand sharp sand as sold in the large jumbo bags is great for growing crops in.Mixed with compost and/or vermiculite to improve moisture retention (about 15% in volume) and fertiliser for plant nutrients,...
    +1I can confirm that the Wickes own brand sharp sand as sold in the large jumbo bags is great for growing crops in.Mixed with compost and/or vermiculite to improve moisture retention (about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sandra-Tingle

Fast growing Clematis and Honeysuckle advice

Amazon have a conifer version for £19.99 at the moment (1mx3m) or, same size, the ivy version £24.99 (other retailers are available :heehee: )
    Amazon have a conifer version for £19.99 at the moment (1mx3m) or, same size, the ivy version £24.99 (other retailers are available :heehee: )
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. backache

Brambles from cuttings ?

Thats all the encouragement I need ! Im going to get the cutters out and go bramble mad, planting cut offs all along the boundary. There is an old straight wire fence about 3 foot high, its...
    Thats all the encouragement I need ! Im going to get the cutters out and go bramble mad, planting cut offs all along the boundary. There is an old straight wire fence about 3 foot high, its useless for keeping people out but could be great for training bramble cuttings.Thanks everyone
    Thats all the encouragement I need ! Im going to get the cutters out and go bramble mad, planting cut offs all along the boundary. There is an old straight wire fence about 3 foot high, its useless for keeping people out but could be great for...
    Thats all the encouragement I need ! Im going to get the cutters out and go bramble mad, planting cut offs all along the boundary. There is an old straight wire fence about 3 foot high, its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Tiarella

Removing Mahonia

Oh I did like the "before" picture!I just degardened mine, I just could not get it going and all the lovely sculptural leaves and flowers inthe dead of winter (that never happened for me)Birds...
    Oh I did like the "before" picture!I just degardened mine, I just could not get it going and all the lovely sculptural leaves and flowers inthe dead of winter (that never happened for me)Birds self seed mahonia everywhere near us, can't understand why people buy it.
    Oh I did like the "before" picture!I just degardened mine, I just could not get it going and all the lovely sculptural leaves and flowers inthe dead of winter (that never happened for me)Birds self seed mahonia everywhere near us, can't...
    Oh I did like the "before" picture!I just degardened mine, I just could not get it going and all the lovely sculptural leaves and flowers inthe dead of winter (that never happened for me)Birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PeterS
    Like x 13

Show us your climbers

I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My last one I had for several years, went about 5 meters and had lots of fruit ... Old...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My last one I had for several years, went about 5...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My...
    2012_08130020.JPG 2012_08130014.JPG 2012_08130018.JPG Aug 12 282.jpg Aug 12 287.jpg Aug 12 288.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Graham B

Wood preservative for sleepers with a raised bed

Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not serious confirmation. It sounds like kind of a chalk wash, and I'm not sure how that would...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not serious confirmation. It sounds like kind of a...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Loki
    Like x 4

Snow Watch

Driving back and forth across the Mendips all this week - couldn't get through at all on Monday, and there were still drifts higher than my car on the side of the roads this evening. Going to be...
    Driving back and forth across the Mendips all this week - couldn't get through at all on Monday, and there were still drifts higher than my car on the side of the roads this evening. Going to be a while before it's all gone I think!
    Driving back and forth across the Mendips all this week - couldn't get through at all on Monday, and there were still drifts higher than my car on the side of the roads this evening. Going to be a while before it's all gone I think!
    Driving back and forth across the Mendips all this week - couldn't get through at all on Monday, and there were still drifts higher than my car on the side of the roads this evening. Going to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. barneyb

dividing crocosmia

Like Compostee, no thanks, MMD! Got some of Blackthorn's!! :DI like them very much, particularly Lucifer - but I' like to keep space in my garden for a few other plants too! :rolleyes:
    Like Compostee, no thanks, MMD! Got some of Blackthorn's!! :DI like them very much, particularly Lucifer - but I' like to keep space in my garden for a few other plants too! :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Beckie76
    Like x 21

Beckie's garden!

I bought one from Aldi last year, hope mine turns out as pretty as yours :spinning:
    I bought one from Aldi last year, hope mine turns out as pretty as yours :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fat Controller

Where best to buy brugmansia?

It already below 5C at night most nights already and they been living in the GH all summer until the frost nipped them . I just see how they go in the spare room , the heating barely on in that room.
    It already below 5C at night most nights already and they been living in the GH all summer until the frost nipped them . I just see how they go in the spare room , the heating barely on in that room.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clydesdalestu

Tree roots wrecking patio - ideas for a solution?

I've seen slabs that have a similar look to those at a nursery Stu. :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice