1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: Is this little blossom tree dead? fairygirl, Apr 25, 2024 at 6:58 AM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! fairygirl, Apr 25, 2024 at 6:44 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. DaveyB

Ideas on what we can add to the front garden

I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend &...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend & penstemon laura + another penstemon but I can't remember the name as I'm out atm. We also picked up a...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend & penstemon laura + another penstemon but I can't...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend &...
    IMG_20240324_172421.jpg IMG_20240324_172432.jpg IMG_20240331_151546.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Ellen

Keeping the chickens off!!

@Ellen we have 4 hens who run loose in our veg plot all day. In order to keep them off our beds we erect green netting around the sides, even in winter, to keep them off the garlic, shallots and...
    @Ellen we have 4 hens who run loose in our veg plot all day. In order to keep them off our beds we erect green netting around the sides, even in winter, to keep them off the garlic, shallots and over-wintering brassicas but take down the nets round other beds so they can clear seeds and pests...
    @Ellen we have 4 hens who run loose in our veg plot all day. In order to keep them off our beds we erect green netting around the sides, even in winter, to keep them off the garlic, shallots and over-wintering brassicas but take down the nets...
    @Ellen we have 4 hens who run loose in our veg plot all day. In order to keep them off our beds we erect green netting around the sides, even in winter, to keep them off the garlic, shallots and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fat Controller

2-tier trough planter?

I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the cheapo shops -Home Bargains maybe. They're plastic, and still in good shape. Good for anything...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the cheapo shops -Home Bargains maybe. They're...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Simon Peake

Weed.?

Yes, I do get both but the white are few and far between. A bit like Honesty, I love the white one but always get far more of the purple
    Yes, I do get both but the white are few and far between. A bit like Honesty, I love the white one but always get far more of the purple
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. pattie

how to grow herbs

My search for dill plants in the local supermarkets has proved fruitless so I did the next best thing- I bought a packet of dill seeds for 49p! Thank you all for your contributions... I'm...
    My search for dill plants in the local supermarkets has proved fruitless so I did the next best thing- I bought a packet of dill seeds for 49p! Thank you all for your contributions... I'm learning about (and yearning for) more herbs, especially unusual ones.
    My search for dill plants in the local supermarkets has proved fruitless so I did the next best thing- I bought a packet of dill seeds for 49p! Thank you all for your contributions... I'm learning about (and yearning for) more herbs, especially...
    My search for dill plants in the local supermarkets has proved fruitless so I did the next best thing- I bought a packet of dill seeds for 49p! Thank you all for your contributions... I'm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Javidr

Issues in some plants - help needed

This is why location matters so much. We have no problem here planting climbers near walls or fences, especially in south to west facing sites, because they don't dry out so easily due to the...
    This is why location matters so much. We have no problem here planting climbers near walls or fences, especially in south to west facing sites, because they don't dry out so easily due to the direction of the prevailing weather and the amount of rainfall. Even when improved, the soil doesn't...
    This is why location matters so much. We have no problem here planting climbers near walls or fences, especially in south to west facing sites, because they don't dry out so easily due to the direction of the prevailing weather and the amount of...
    This is why location matters so much. We have no problem here planting climbers near walls or fences, especially in south to west facing sites, because they don't dry out so easily due to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. AdrianBg

Alan Titmarsh's trousers

Fourteen year old trousers :yahoo:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. NoviceGardener2023

Suggestions on what to plant here

I'm assuming there's an access road or alleyway between the fence and the wall. That's how l see it anyway :)
    I'm assuming there's an access road or alleyway between the fence and the wall. That's how l see it anyway :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Spruce

Honey used as a rooting agent

I don’t use hormone rooting powder but I might give the honey and cinnamon a trial
    I don’t use hormone rooting powder but I might give the honey and cinnamon a trial
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Tangsoodo

West wall ideas please

With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would depend on the condition of the soil and the care you give them. It's the initial prep and watering/food...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would depend on the condition of the soil and the care you...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

Doggy defence...

I think it was more that they could see them moving as where we are the only people they see are dog walkers and the horses in the livery .
    I think it was more that they could see them moving as where we are the only people they see are dog walkers and the horses in the livery .
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Songbird

Bug ID please

@Sheps thanks think you’re right- quite small and thin and unlike a normal bee.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Wannabe

Unhappy climber

Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Gary Jenkins

Olive tree

Well yes, minus 15c for days is kinda Arctic weather, I think mine has survived minus 10c overnight on a couple of occasions.
    Well yes, minus 15c for days is kinda Arctic weather, I think mine has survived minus 10c overnight on a couple of occasions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. earlydaze

Pruning cornus

We have a variety of Cornus plants and "when" the sun shines this time of the year they just glow.
    We have a variety of Cornus plants and "when" the sun shines this time of the year they just glow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. glosmike

Olive virgin here, advice needed please ?

Thanks @DovefromaboveIt needs a larger pot if you wish to keep it root bound. Otherwise get it into the ground asap. It will be flowering very shortly. Aqua. Aqua. Aqua.
    Thanks @DovefromaboveIt needs a larger pot if you wish to keep it root bound. Otherwise get it into the ground asap. It will be flowering very shortly. Aqua. Aqua. Aqua.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. earlydaze

indentifying euphorbia

thanks- am leaning towards oblongata as seedlings arrived the season after it did!
    thanks- am leaning towards oblongata as seedlings arrived the season after it did!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jonathorn

Advice on trimming my tree

Hi @Jonathorn Tricky, as cherries shouldn't be pruned until July/August, to avoid silver leaf disease entering. However, I would remove that lower part (circled in yellow) right back to the...
    Hi @Jonathorn Tricky, as cherries shouldn't be pruned until July/August, to avoid silver leaf disease entering. However, I would remove that lower part (circled in yellow) right back to the trunk. I'd leave the rest of the pruning until July and have another look at the tree then - it may not...
    Hi @Jonathorn Tricky, as cherries shouldn't be pruned until July/August, to avoid silver leaf disease entering. However, I would remove that lower part (circled in yellow) right back to the trunk. I'd leave the rest of the pruning until July and...
    Hi @Jonathorn Tricky, as cherries shouldn't be pruned until July/August, to avoid silver leaf disease entering. However, I would remove that lower part (circled in yellow) right back to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Gary Jenkins

Eucalyptus gunnii azura

OK thanks - plan of attack based on above and on some further research is to: put in ground or much larger container, coppice or pollard it (TBD which) and see how it goes
    OK thanks - plan of attack based on above and on some further research is to: put in ground or much larger container, coppice or pollard it (TBD which) and see how it goes
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. glosmike

Anemone blanda disappearing !

Sun? What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? :) Been in very short supply down here so far in 2024. :gaah:
    Sun? What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? :) Been in very short supply down here so far in 2024. :gaah:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice