1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: Is this little blossom tree dead? AnniD, Apr 24, 2024 at 9:09 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 24, 2024 at 11:48 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Jiffy

Viburnum Beetle Larve

I hope i have as they made a mess last year, they haven't started eating much yet but they are there :mad:
    I hope i have as they made a mess last year, they haven't started eating much yet but they are there :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Poly Hive

Blinding

Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14...
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14 tons of blinding to shift. :)
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14 tons of blinding to shift. :)
    Ok so now we are on plan B. The plastic has been recycled and porous weed suppressant material bought. Now begun to barrow in as we have had a metal ramp made for us which is 20ft by 3. Only 14...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. HarryS

Acer Container Planting ?

Cheers @mowgley , I'll buy my ericaceous compost this morning :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. day dreamer

Is it all too late? (to prune!)

Perfect timing for pruning cherries, go for it
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SimonZ

simple answers on bee-friendly gardening?

Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known to be beneficial to Insects, animals and birdlife then you will see the positive proof by the...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known to be beneficial to Insects, animals and birdlife...
    Hmm, Simon, I think you are worrying too much about the complexity of Nature and how effective your own garden would affect local wildlife etc. If you grow the much cited plants that are known...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. SimonZ
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Mowerman

Japenese Knotweed and Invasive Weed Eradication - Change of Career - Advice Needed!

@Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put their project on hold, possibly for years - until the area is certified as JK clear by an accredited...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put their project on hold, possibly for years - until the...
    @Scrungee - it sounds like the builders have been reckless beyond comprehension and now they're paying the price.The red shoots should've made an appearance recently and may indeed have put...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Quentin Jackson

Evergreen hedge recommendations

I went for Photinia × fraseri 'Red Robin' ( Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' | Christmas berry 'Red Robin'/RHS Gardening )
    I went for Photinia × fraseri 'Red Robin' ( Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' | Christmas berry 'Red Robin'/RHS Gardening )
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. boutetm

Accidentally used ericaceous compost

They will be okApparently plants that like alkaline soil are ok in one that is more acid. But plants that like an acid soil will not be ok in one that is more alkaline. I have read the...
    They will be okApparently plants that like alkaline soil are ok in one that is more acid. But plants that like an acid soil will not be ok in one that is more alkaline. I have read the explanation for this but can't remember why off hand. :scratch:
    They will be okApparently plants that like alkaline soil are ok in one that is more acid. But plants that like an acid soil will not be ok in one that is more alkaline. I have read the explanation for this but can't remember why off hand. :scratch:
    They will be okApparently plants that like alkaline soil are ok in one that is more acid. But plants that like an acid soil will not be ok in one that is more alkaline. I have read the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. boutetm

what to do with this polygala?

I didn't know they were lime-haters either, boutetm! I agree with you about pruning...every time I've cut one back to try to revive it, it has died. The only thing I can suggest to try is to give...
    I didn't know they were lime-haters either, boutetm! I agree with you about pruning...every time I've cut one back to try to revive it, it has died. The only thing I can suggest to try is to give it a liquid feed of ericaceous fertiliser and then perhaps just 'tip' the shoots to encourage it to...
    I didn't know they were lime-haters either, boutetm! I agree with you about pruning...every time I've cut one back to try to revive it, it has died. The only thing I can suggest to try is to give it a liquid feed of ericaceous fertiliser and...
    I didn't know they were lime-haters either, boutetm! I agree with you about pruning...every time I've cut one back to try to revive it, it has died. The only thing I can suggest to try is to give...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Keith Thomas

Auger

Yeah there is a few hire companies near me so need to check what is available close at hand. Have to agree the idea of manually drilling these holes on a 1/2 acre site is not appealing. :rasp:
    Yeah there is a few hire companies near me so need to check what is available close at hand. Have to agree the idea of manually drilling these holes on a 1/2 acre site is not appealing. :rasp:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Voobwm

How to drain a waterlogged lawn

One thing to be careful of if it is heavy clay soil; I have an ancient drain on my property and on that side of the garden the lawn is nice and dry. On the rest of the lawn it is a swamp. So a...
    One thing to be careful of if it is heavy clay soil; I have an ancient drain on my property and on that side of the garden the lawn is nice and dry. On the rest of the lawn it is a swamp. So a couple of years ago I dug and installed a drainage pipe to get the water to the drain and what I find...
    One thing to be careful of if it is heavy clay soil; I have an ancient drain on my property and on that side of the garden the lawn is nice and dry. On the rest of the lawn it is a swamp. So a couple of years ago I dug and installed a drainage...
    One thing to be careful of if it is heavy clay soil; I have an ancient drain on my property and on that side of the garden the lawn is nice and dry. On the rest of the lawn it is a swamp. So a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kandy

I have a question...

I agree. Stick them in April - the plants won't mind :heehee: and neither will April :snork:
    I agree. Stick them in April - the plants won't mind :heehee: and neither will April :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. boutetm

What to do with this rose bush?

Thanks MM,No worries, I can understand perfectly what you're suggesting! I'll give it a further prune and when I have some flowers, I'll come back for an ID.Mat
    Thanks MM,No worries, I can understand perfectly what you're suggesting! I'll give it a further prune and when I have some flowers, I'll come back for an ID.Mat
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. stumorphmac

sending plants to europe

I don't know the current rules but it used to be OK to send seeds but not plants.With bringing plants into this country:- no plant could have soil attached to the roots but, otherwise, you...
    I don't know the current rules but it used to be OK to send seeds but not plants.With bringing plants into this country:- no plant could have soil attached to the roots but, otherwise, you could bring in all plants apart from those on two lists, one was of prohibited plants and one of...
    I don't know the current rules but it used to be OK to send seeds but not plants.With bringing plants into this country:- no plant could have soil attached to the roots but, otherwise, you could bring in all plants apart from those on two...
    I don't know the current rules but it used to be OK to send seeds but not plants.With bringing plants into this country:- no plant could have soil attached to the roots but, otherwise, you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pickle

Bulbs and squirrels

Oh that sounds lovely! Well its true enough that the squirrels don't seem too interested - they've had a little go but not much. No, now it's just the muncjac I've got to stop from nibbling the...
    Oh that sounds lovely! Well its true enough that the squirrels don't seem too interested - they've had a little go but not much. No, now it's just the muncjac I've got to stop from nibbling the tops off!!!
    Oh that sounds lovely! Well its true enough that the squirrels don't seem too interested - they've had a little go but not much. No, now it's just the muncjac I've got to stop from nibbling the tops off!!!
    Oh that sounds lovely! Well its true enough that the squirrels don't seem too interested - they've had a little go but not much. No, now it's just the muncjac I've got to stop from nibbling the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. john558
    Like x 10

Today at Wilkos

Keep checking Kayleigh. My Ramsgate branch has stared putting out seed Potatoes.
    Keep checking Kayleigh. My Ramsgate branch has stared putting out seed Potatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kandy
    Like x 4

Trees...

While we were away in Somerset a few weeks ago we had a nice walk through one of the local woods and here are a few photos of some of the trees on our walk.I don't think I could live...
    While we were away in Somerset a few weeks ago we had a nice walk through one of the local woods and here are a few photos of some of the trees on our walk.I don't think I could live anywhere where there are no trees.This part of the country has many very old trees in their woods
    While we were away in Somerset a few weeks ago we had a nice walk through one of the local woods and here are a few photos of some of the trees on our walk.I don't think I could live anywhere where there are no trees.This part of the...
    While we were away in Somerset a few weeks ago we had a nice walk through one of the local woods and here are a few photos of some of the trees on our walk.I don't think I could live...
    P1020841.JPG P1020840.JPG P1020837.JPG P1020836.JPG P1020835.JPG P1020834.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Richard Hughes

New Greenhouse

Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other end.There are other considerations of course such as orientation to the sun and shading from trees.In...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other end.There are other considerations of course such as...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dave0w

weed killer

It should only take about five or ten minutes every few weeks or so to pull out the surface weeds from that size area. :blue thumb: :noidea:
    It should only take about five or ten minutes every few weeks or so to pull out the surface weeds from that size area. :blue thumb: :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice