1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 7

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN AUGUST 2018

Thanks Mark:)I have the late flowering sanguisorba Blackthorn about to flower; you might like it too. Tall, narrow, uoright spikes. I'll post a picture when its flowering :)
    Thanks Mark:)I have the late flowering sanguisorba Blackthorn about to flower; you might like it too. Tall, narrow, uoright spikes. I'll post a picture when its flowering :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Will look good on the Christmas dinner table ???
    2018-01-07 17.00.00.jpg IMG_0653.JPG 7891B111-C969-45C4-9944-B56B2C0C5788.jpeg DSC09903 - Copy.JPG IMG00544 (2).JPG IMG00021.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

I refuse to move till I see one fired up :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

As you know I grow a lot of Salvia and so seed can throw a few googlies!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

Watsonia pillansii.............. Watsonia pillansii by longk48, on FlickrWatsonia pillansii by longk48, on Flickr
    Watsonia pillansii.............. Watsonia pillansii by longk48, on FlickrWatsonia pillansii by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group....
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group. The flowers are large and it reportedly grows to three or four feet in height.............. Fuchsia...
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group. The flowers are large and it reportedly grows to...
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HarryS
    Like x 17

Know Your Weeds

The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild flower meadow. It grew and I have had a fantastic show...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tetters

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. Bfm

Weed fabric when planting new hedging

Good on you :blue thumb: Generally gardening is all about sorting the plants out as you go - pull out the ones you don`t want, and nourish (even talk to) the ones you do want. These days everyone new to...
    Good on you :blue thumb: Generally gardening is all about sorting the plants out as you go - pull out the ones you don`t want, and nourish (even talk to) the ones you do want. These days everyone new to gardening seems to want ''instant impact'' and sterile designer jobs - all very clinical. Good...
    Good on you :blue thumb: Generally gardening is all about sorting the plants out as you go - pull out the ones you don`t want, and nourish (even talk to) the ones you do want. These days everyone new to gardening seems to want ''instant impact'' and sterile...
    Good on you :blue thumb: Generally gardening is all about sorting the plants out as you go - pull out the ones you don`t want, and nourish (even talk to) the ones you do want. These days everyone new to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. miraflores

Roundup weedkiller

I have a struggle trying to eat three Weetabix so 450 boxes of cereal a day would be even more difficult. :yikes:
    I have a struggle trying to eat three Weetabix so 450 boxes of cereal a day would be even more difficult. :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Grassisgreener08

Replanting Grass (total newbie)

Ok I see what you all mean thanks- but once I place the sod on the soil patch- will it be solid after a week and be like nothing was dug out in the first place- how long will it take to be...
    Ok I see what you all mean thanks- but once I place the sod on the soil patch- will it be solid after a week and be like nothing was dug out in the first place- how long will it take to be properly rooted in?1) what to do about the new soil which has appeared around the edges? 2)I used diluted...
    Ok I see what you all mean thanks- but once I place the sod on the soil patch- will it be solid after a week and be like nothing was dug out in the first place- how long will it take to be properly rooted in?1) what to do about the new soil...
    Ok I see what you all mean thanks- but once I place the sod on the soil patch- will it be solid after a week and be like nothing was dug out in the first place- how long will it take to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. enginestar

Is this woodchip?

Excellent point Sian.....mulching here has helped my garden too to remain healthy this summer. I too dressed the lawn too, essentially mulching, and this too has remained green.:)
    Excellent point Sian.....mulching here has helped my garden too to remain healthy this summer. I too dressed the lawn too, essentially mulching, and this too has remained green.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Sienna's Blossom

What to plant in my herb bed?

Winter savory. More thyme, there are loads of varieties, lemon thyme has a great flavour and aroma. Chives, garlic chives, Welsh onion. There are a few different types of marjoram you could plant...
    Winter savory. More thyme, there are loads of varieties, lemon thyme has a great flavour and aroma. Chives, garlic chives, Welsh onion. There are a few different types of marjoram you could plant which will survive the winter.I use these guys a lot for herb plants. Victoriana Nursery
    Winter savory. More thyme, there are loads of varieties, lemon thyme has a great flavour and aroma. Chives, garlic chives, Welsh onion. There are a few different types of marjoram you could plant which will survive the winter.I use these guys a...
    Winter savory. More thyme, there are loads of varieties, lemon thyme has a great flavour and aroma. Chives, garlic chives, Welsh onion. There are a few different types of marjoram you could plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. greenestfingers

What is this plant?

Hello and :sign0016:.Its a Sunflower
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. JWK

Hosepipe Ban

When our water gets cut off due to the water suppliers constant leaks, they now provide bottled water in 500ml bottles rather than the 2L ones they previously used.That means we need up to 900...
    When our water gets cut off due to the water suppliers constant leaks, they now provide bottled water in 500ml bottles rather than the 2L ones they previously used.That means we need up to 900 (nine hundred) bottles to fully water our plot! The recyclers are going to go absolutely mental when...
    When our water gets cut off due to the water suppliers constant leaks, they now provide bottled water in 500ml bottles rather than the 2L ones they previously used.That means we need up to 900 (nine hundred) bottles to fully water our plot! The...
    When our water gets cut off due to the water suppliers constant leaks, they now provide bottled water in 500ml bottles rather than the 2L ones they previously used.That means we need up to 900...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Tetters
    Informative x 3

What a stink......

Time perhaps to re-tell my tale of when I was at Glastonbury Festival.I was parked up beside a mate who had a Westmoorland Star caravan towed by a Bedford TK, so ended up with a bit of space...
    Time perhaps to re-tell my tale of when I was at Glastonbury Festival.I was parked up beside a mate who had a Westmoorland Star caravan towed by a Bedford TK, so ended up with a bit of space between the back of my truck and the field hedge as he had quite a long rig.And blow me, some people...
    Time perhaps to re-tell my tale of when I was at Glastonbury Festival.I was parked up beside a mate who had a Westmoorland Star caravan towed by a Bedford TK, so ended up with a bit of space between the back of my truck and the field hedge as...
    Time perhaps to re-tell my tale of when I was at Glastonbury Festival.I was parked up beside a mate who had a Westmoorland Star caravan towed by a Bedford TK, so ended up with a bit of space...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Freddy

Lobelia

No, it just needs nice humus rich soil which doesn't get waterlogged over the winter.They're perennial. Suggesting that they're biennial is about managing expectations as most people trim the...
    No, it just needs nice humus rich soil which doesn't get waterlogged over the winter.They're perennial. Suggesting that they're biennial is about managing expectations as most people trim the stems back in the autumn.If you get babies plant the mature plant out - it will romp away!
    No, it just needs nice humus rich soil which doesn't get waterlogged over the winter.They're perennial. Suggesting that they're biennial is about managing expectations as most people trim the stems back in the autumn.If you get babies plant...
    No, it just needs nice humus rich soil which doesn't get waterlogged over the winter.They're perennial. Suggesting that they're biennial is about managing expectations as most people trim the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Estrella

Juniperus Mint Julep

Many thanks for your replies @Marley Farley andI will get a photo of the shrub and post it a.s.a.p..The root ball didn't appear congested when I took the plant out of its pot. In fact tbh I...
    Many thanks for your replies @Marley Farley andI will get a photo of the shrub and post it a.s.a.p..The root ball didn't appear congested when I took the plant out of its pot. In fact tbh I thought the roots seemed slightly on the sparse side for the size of this particular specimen,...
    Many thanks for your replies @Marley Farley andI will get a photo of the shrub and post it a.s.a.p..The root ball didn't appear congested when I took the plant out of its pot. In fact tbh I thought the roots seemed slightly on the sparse...
    Many thanks for your replies @Marley Farley andI will get a photo of the shrub and post it a.s.a.p..The root ball didn't appear congested when I took the plant out of its pot. In fact tbh I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. HarryS

Astilbe non performing ?

Thanks Verdun , I am going to soak the root balls before repotting in JI 3 :blue thumb:
    Thanks Verdun , I am going to soak the root balls before repotting in JI 3 :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. alana

Editing Garden for 2019

Alana, when I suggest anemones I dont mean the japanese sort. The Wild Swan variety is a completely different and relatively new one. It is not invasive but a clump former and, instead of...
    Alana, when I suggest anemones I dont mean the japanese sort. The Wild Swan variety is a completely different and relatively new one. It is not invasive but a clump former and, instead of flowering only in late summer, it flowers from spring to autumn. It is a quality plant and a real beauty :)...
    Alana, when I suggest anemones I dont mean the japanese sort. The Wild Swan variety is a completely different and relatively new one. It is not invasive but a clump former and, instead of flowering only in late summer, it flowers from spring to...
    Alana, when I suggest anemones I dont mean the japanese sort. The Wild Swan variety is a completely different and relatively new one. It is not invasive but a clump former and, instead of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Selleri

Camellia mistake

I envy you growing those plants Silu :)Ironically, the bulk of inland Cornwall is acidic ...possibly similar to parts of Scotland...but here on the coast it is neutralI once visited a garden, on...
    I envy you growing those plants Silu :)Ironically, the bulk of inland Cornwall is acidic ...possibly similar to parts of Scotland...but here on the coast it is neutralI once visited a garden, on acid soil, where the owner mulched with copious amounts of mushroom compost:sad::sad::love30: Needless to say a lot...
    I envy you growing those plants Silu :)Ironically, the bulk of inland Cornwall is acidic ...possibly similar to parts of Scotland...but here on the coast it is neutralI once visited a garden, on acid soil, where the owner mulched with copious...
    I envy you growing those plants Silu :)Ironically, the bulk of inland Cornwall is acidic ...possibly similar to parts of Scotland...but here on the coast it is neutralI once visited a garden, on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Dean Boland

Hop plant dying?

Morning @Dean Boland never grown an Hop plant sorry but well done with your others to say your in a flat...but roof terraces come in handy :thumbsup:...I hope this info and link helps until someone with...
    Morning @Dean Boland never grown an Hop plant sorry but well done with your others to say your in a flat...but roof terraces come in handy :thumbsup:...I hope this info and link helps until someone with further knowledge can help :)Step 1 Familiarize yourself with different hop plants. Each variety of...
    Morning @Dean Boland never grown an Hop plant sorry but well done with your others to say your in a flat...but roof terraces come in handy :thumbsup:...I hope this info and link helps until someone with further knowledge can help :)Step 1 Familiarize...
    Morning @Dean Boland never grown an Hop plant sorry but well done with your others to say your in a flat...but roof terraces come in handy :thumbsup:...I hope this info and link helps until someone with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. shiney
    Like x 4

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JULY 2018

Hello Sienna it would look be lovely to see some pictures :)Beautiful flower I must say strongylodon :love30:
    Hello Sienna it would look be lovely to see some pictures :)Beautiful flower I must say strongylodon :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. clanless

RHS membership

The magazine I can very happily skim through but to be honest I find the writing incredibly dry and stuffy. It has improved and underwent a 'revamp' although you'd be hard pressed to tell the...
    The magazine I can very happily skim through but to be honest I find the writing incredibly dry and stuffy. It has improved and underwent a 'revamp' although you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The gardens are all great and as I have a small family we can pop over to Wisley whenever...
    The magazine I can very happily skim through but to be honest I find the writing incredibly dry and stuffy. It has improved and underwent a 'revamp' although you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The gardens are all great and as I have a...
    The magazine I can very happily skim through but to be honest I find the writing incredibly dry and stuffy. It has improved and underwent a 'revamp' although you'd be hard pressed to tell the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Mr B

Invasive Plant

Alternatively, you could pot it all up, split into as many different plants as possible, and flog it to people as 'fish mint': Houttuynia cordata - Wikipedia Houttuynia cordata Thunb. | Plants of...
    Alternatively, you could pot it all up, split into as many different plants as possible, and flog it to people as 'fish mint': Houttuynia cordata - Wikipedia Houttuynia cordata Thunb. | Plants of the World Online | Kew Science (It still mings IMO.)
    Alternatively, you could pot it all up, split into as many different plants as possible, and flog it to people as 'fish mint': Houttuynia cordata - Wikipedia Houttuynia cordata Thunb. | Plants of the World Online | Kew Science (It still mings IMO.)
    Alternatively, you could pot it all up, split into as many different plants as possible, and flog it to people as 'fish mint': Houttuynia cordata - Wikipedia Houttuynia cordata Thunb. | Plants of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. Mike Allen

It aint arf hot mum.

Nice John :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Sienna's Blossom

Can I plant summer bulbs now?

Sienna, yes! buy tha plant itself....you can hopefully see the colour too.I bought a couple of liatris kobold 4 years or so back when the GC was having a summer sale, so about now. I cut them...
    Sienna, yes! buy tha plant itself....you can hopefully see the colour too.I bought a couple of liatris kobold 4 years or so back when the GC was having a summer sale, so about now. I cut them back hard, divided each into 3 pieces and potted them up. They made excellent full size plants for...
    Sienna, yes! buy tha plant itself....you can hopefully see the colour too.I bought a couple of liatris kobold 4 years or so back when the GC was having a summer sale, so about now. I cut them back hard, divided each into 3 pieces and potted...
    Sienna, yes! buy tha plant itself....you can hopefully see the colour too.I bought a couple of liatris kobold 4 years or so back when the GC was having a summer sale, so about now. I cut them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. kriss

My asters!

Kriss, are they in pots big enough? You could pot on to help grow them. They are hardy plants and I would plant out in spring. Group them together to make a show for later this summer.....you...
    Kriss, are they in pots big enough? You could pot on to help grow them. They are hardy plants and I would plant out in spring. Group them together to make a show for later this summer.....you could plunge the pots in the ground too:)
    Kriss, are they in pots big enough? You could pot on to help grow them. They are hardy plants and I would plant out in spring. Group them together to make a show for later this summer.....you could plunge the pots in the ground too:)
    Kriss, are they in pots big enough? You could pot on to help grow them. They are hardy plants and I would plant out in spring. Group them together to make a show for later this summer.....you...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options