1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 8

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN APRIL 2018

Acer envy here DHR:)Perhaps not looking so great in April but smelling great right now are my zaluzianskya plants. One potted in conservatory provided wonderful scent first thing this...
    Acer envy here DHR:)Perhaps not looking so great in April but smelling great right now are my zaluzianskya plants. One potted in conservatory provided wonderful scent first thing this morning. The "night scented phlox" will start producing perfume from mid evening through to daybreak. Put a...
    Acer envy here DHR:)Perhaps not looking so great in April but smelling great right now are my zaluzianskya plants. One potted in conservatory provided wonderful scent first thing this morning. The "night scented phlox" will start producing...
    Acer envy here DHR:)Perhaps not looking so great in April but smelling great right now are my zaluzianskya plants. One potted in conservatory provided wonderful scent first thing this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Morning everybody :) Potting on tomatoes today and sorting out plants to take to my nephew's. A brief shower but sunny down the beach and sunny now......a decent day to come weatherwise.:)
    Morning everybody :) Potting on tomatoes today and sorting out plants to take to my nephew's. A brief shower but sunny down the beach and sunny now......a decent day to come weatherwise.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Yes, only split down the centre with a growth eye on each. Lose tubers without a part of the crown will often form roots but they cannot grow stems
    Yes, only split down the centre with a growth eye on each. Lose tubers without a part of the crown will often form roots but they cannot grow stems
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

Hi,Did see Mike also mentioned Army Nurse earlier, but its not one I can remember seeing in the garden centers locally, visited a couple of different ones today but non either, will probably...
    Hi,Did see Mike also mentioned Army Nurse earlier, but its not one I can remember seeing in the garden centers locally, visited a couple of different ones today but non either, will probably have to order it online as it does sound the size we are looking for, Mrs. Popple while as tough as...
    Hi,Did see Mike also mentioned Army Nurse earlier, but its not one I can remember seeing in the garden centers locally, visited a couple of different ones today but non either, will probably have to order it online as it does sound the size we...
    Hi,Did see Mike also mentioned Army Nurse earlier, but its not one I can remember seeing in the garden centers locally, visited a couple of different ones today but non either, will probably...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

I bought this today................. Kalanchoe 'Dorothy' by longk48, on FlickrIt's Kalanchoe 'Dorothy'. I figured that it would provide plenty of propogating material then when I got home I...
    I bought this today................. Kalanchoe 'Dorothy' by longk48, on FlickrIt's Kalanchoe 'Dorothy'. I figured that it would provide plenty of propogating material then when I got home I noticed that the job was already started...................Best of all it was in the bargain...
    I bought this today................. Kalanchoe 'Dorothy' by longk48, on FlickrIt's Kalanchoe 'Dorothy'. I figured that it would provide plenty of propogating material then when I got home I noticed that the job was already...
    I bought this today................. Kalanchoe 'Dorothy' by longk48, on FlickrIt's Kalanchoe 'Dorothy'. I figured that it would provide plenty of propogating material then when I got home I...
    A57E40E7-EEF0-4A77-88AC-7DC2F673F217.jpeg 8A406237-47E8-4549-9878-0BFE41EEF963.jpeg 20180201_153820.jpg 20180201_153835.jpg 20180201_153856.jpg 20180201_153936.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) is one of my favourites. Spring is officially here as it is now in bloom............... Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) by longk48, on FlickrA better...
    Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) is one of my favourites. Spring is officially here as it is now in bloom............... Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) by longk48, on FlickrA better photo of Salvia coerulea.............. Salvia coerulea by longk48, on Flickr
    Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) is one of my favourites. Spring is officially here as it is now in bloom............... Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) by longk48, on FlickrA better photo of Salvia coerulea.............. Salvia...
    Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) is one of my favourites. Spring is officially here as it is now in bloom............... Salvia gesneriiflora (mountain form) by longk48, on FlickrA better...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

I am involved in a project with a public space in my town. I'm in charge of planting plans, and one of the plants that will be featured is Watsonia meiriana, can't wait for it to flower, one of...
    I am involved in a project with a public space in my town. I'm in charge of planting plans, and one of the plants that will be featured is Watsonia meiriana, can't wait for it to flower, one of the jewels of the Iridaceae family. Want to try and get Iris confusa too.
    I am involved in a project with a public space in my town. I'm in charge of planting plans, and one of the plants that will be featured is Watsonia meiriana, can't wait for it to flower, one of the jewels of the Iridaceae family. Want to try and...
    I am involved in a project with a public space in my town. I'm in charge of planting plans, and one of the plants that will be featured is Watsonia meiriana, can't wait for it to flower, one of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild flower meadow. It grew and I have had a fantastic show...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Tetters

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. HarryS

Perennial Plant Out ?

Thanks @pete , @Verdun . I'll start potting them up into larger pots today . I made myself a cold frame over winter . This will be great for hardening off , I can leave lid open during the day...
    Thanks @pete , @Verdun . I'll start potting them up into larger pots today . I made myself a cold frame over winter . This will be great for hardening off , I can leave lid open during the day and close at night .
    Thanks @pete , @Verdun . I'll start potting them up into larger pots today . I made myself a cold frame over winter . This will be great for hardening off , I can leave lid open during the day and close at night .
    Thanks @pete , @Verdun . I'll start potting them up into larger pots today . I made myself a cold frame over winter . This will be great for hardening off , I can leave lid open during the day...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Lee Savage

Best flowering evergreen plants and climbers

This is a good site to get ideas from Long Acre Plants I've ordered from them in the past with no complaints.
    This is a good site to get ideas from Long Acre Plants I've ordered from them in the past with no complaints.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Palustris

Partial doubling of flowers

Yes I agree with you, I think I thought that it was maybe individual genes on a plant that were affected and caused the mutation, but otherwise not sure at all..
    Yes I agree with you, I think I thought that it was maybe individual genes on a plant that were affected and caused the mutation, but otherwise not sure at all..
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. trogre

Planting Up Hanging Baskets With Plugs

I have planted hundreds of baskets with plug plants in the past for resale - and it is really better if you can do it while the root ball is small. Start with a layer of Sphagnum moss and a...
    I have planted hundreds of baskets with plug plants in the past for resale - and it is really better if you can do it while the root ball is small. Start with a layer of Sphagnum moss and a saucer for helping to keep the moisture in - add compost mixed with water crystals (just a small amount)...
    I have planted hundreds of baskets with plug plants in the past for resale - and it is really better if you can do it while the root ball is small. Start with a layer of Sphagnum moss and a saucer for helping to keep the moisture in - add...
    I have planted hundreds of baskets with plug plants in the past for resale - and it is really better if you can do it while the root ball is small. Start with a layer of Sphagnum moss and a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Guesty
    Like x 14

Garden Updates

That is sooooo good guesty :) Your little one....and probably his friends .....will love it. Great carpentry skills:)
    That is sooooo good guesty :) Your little one....and probably his friends .....will love it. Great carpentry skills:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Sienna's Blossom

Ladybird Larvae

I'm a bit squeamish for that @WeeTam and there's soooo many of them on this particular poor rose. I've ordered 100 ladybird larvae, that should sort it! :eeew::fingers crossed:
    I'm a bit squeamish for that @WeeTam and there's soooo many of them on this particular poor rose. I've ordered 100 ladybird larvae, that should sort it! :eeew::fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. trogre

Morrisons Fuchsia

Hi All. Went shopping today and Morrisons have got their annuals for sale already. A bit early for me to buy as need lot of room to store them as too early to plant. Anyway they seemed to...
    Hi All. Went shopping today and Morrisons have got their annuals for sale already. A bit early for me to buy as need lot of room to store them as too early to plant. Anyway they seemed to increased their range again this year and I saw some fuchsias for sale. This is not unusual but they were...
    Hi All. Went shopping today and Morrisons have got their annuals for sale already. A bit early for me to buy as need lot of room to store them as too early to plant. Anyway they seemed to increased their range again this year and I saw some...
    Hi All. Went shopping today and Morrisons have got their annuals for sale already. A bit early for me to buy as need lot of room to store them as too early to plant. Anyway they seemed to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. The Wizard

Buxus turning yellow after watering

Not sure it is box blight but time will tell.....as I said, reassess in 3 or 4 weeks. If its sun scorch it will recover by then. As ever, feedback would be appreciated :)
    Not sure it is box blight but time will tell.....as I said, reassess in 3 or 4 weeks. If its sun scorch it will recover by then. As ever, feedback would be appreciated :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. wiseowl

Bleeding heart flower problems

Aww thanks @wiseowl Woo that’s s lovely offer, but let’s see what stock they get in or I will go to a local garden centre :thumbsup:
    Aww thanks @wiseowl Woo that’s s lovely offer, but let’s see what stock they get in or I will go to a local garden centre :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. martin-f

Wisteria issue

No problem it will save you looking through lots of posts not relevant to your issue, hope it makes a full recovery :fingers crossed:.
    No problem it will save you looking through lots of posts not relevant to your issue, hope it makes a full recovery :fingers crossed:.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Outlander

What makes a good plant?

Apologies. Not sure what happened there. I think my keyboard is haunted. Anyway, two Fritillary from one garden centre and two from another. All planted in the same area. two are great, the other...
    Apologies. Not sure what happened there. I think my keyboard is haunted. Anyway, two Fritillary from one garden centre and two from another. All planted in the same area. two are great, the other two are really weak.There, I made it.
    Apologies. Not sure what happened there. I think my keyboard is haunted. Anyway, two Fritillary from one garden centre and two from another. All planted in the same area. two are great, the other two are really weak.There, I made it.
    Apologies. Not sure what happened there. I think my keyboard is haunted. Anyway, two Fritillary from one garden centre and two from another. All planted in the same area. two are great, the other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. wiseowl

Echiums Question

Some friend/idiot:) was down in Devon last year on holiday and saw Echium growing, Thought they were great and then:ideaIPB: my pal ie me hasn't got these, just the present to bring back as a thank you for...
    Some friend/idiot:) was down in Devon last year on holiday and saw Echium growing, Thought they were great and then:ideaIPB: my pal ie me hasn't got these, just the present to bring back as a thank you for me watering her Toms. Hmm sure they will be tender and b all use to grow here. Friend keeps asking...
    Some friend/idiot:) was down in Devon last year on holiday and saw Echium growing, Thought they were great and then:ideaIPB: my pal ie me hasn't got these, just the present to bring back as a thank you for me watering her Toms. Hmm sure they will be tender...
    Some friend/idiot:) was down in Devon last year on holiday and saw Echium growing, Thought they were great and then:ideaIPB: my pal ie me hasn't got these, just the present to bring back as a thank you for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 4

Creating winter interest.

Right, I dont think there is enough of a difference between varieties to warrant any desire for a particular one. I assume you mean you purchased it in a 9 centimetre pot, not 9mm? They are all...
    Right, I dont think there is enough of a difference between varieties to warrant any desire for a particular one. I assume you mean you purchased it in a 9 centimetre pot, not 9mm? They are all scented, evergreen and attractive. Yes, prune aftee flowering. I have a couple here and one is kept...
    Right, I dont think there is enough of a difference between varieties to warrant any desire for a particular one. I assume you mean you purchased it in a 9 centimetre pot, not 9mm? They are all scented, evergreen and attractive. Yes, prune aftee...
    Right, I dont think there is enough of a difference between varieties to warrant any desire for a particular one. I assume you mean you purchased it in a 9 centimetre pot, not 9mm? They are all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Oldphil

Anyone recognise this?

my guess would be Leycesteria formosa.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Freddy

How Do They Do It?

Very informative Tetters.....good to get the grower's perspective.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Doghouse Riley

Acer

They can grow quite big if they aren't pruned. We've had this one over thirty years. The roots are beginning to lift the coping on our little frog pond, but I'm not bothered.
    They can grow quite big if they aren't pruned. We've had this one over thirty years. The roots are beginning to lift the coping on our little frog pond, but I'm not bothered.
    P1010308.JPG P1000538.JPG P1000562.JPG P1000620.JPG P1000757.JPG P1000674.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Sally Parker

Borage??

Ok, I'll get some more seeds and try again then. Thanks! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. daisybelle

Mulch without membrane

I give mine a good dig over every year and top up mulch @Mike Allen and I don't use membrane so that my soil doesn't compact.. It is good soil and lots of worms but my soil is beautiful fine loam,...
    I give mine a good dig over every year and top up mulch @Mike Allen and I don't use membrane so that my soil doesn't compact.. It is good soil and lots of worms but my soil is beautiful fine loam, and sadly dries out very quickly so the wood chips help retain moisture too.. :thumbsup:
    I give mine a good dig over every year and top up mulch @Mike Allen and I don't use membrane so that my soil doesn't compact.. It is good soil and lots of worms but my soil is beautiful fine loam, and sadly dries out very quickly so the wood...
    I give mine a good dig over every year and top up mulch @Mike Allen and I don't use membrane so that my soil doesn't compact.. It is good soil and lots of worms but my soil is beautiful fine loam,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. silu

Macleaya microcarpa 'Coral Plume'

Well we have garden furniture now in that black Granite plastic wicker...i got the main table and 4 chairs last year for on the decking and then two more chairs for on the slabbing besides small...
    Well we have garden furniture now in that black Granite plastic wicker...i got the main table and 4 chairs last year for on the decking and then two more chairs for on the slabbing besides small tables and it cleans up marvellous, it's strong and never loses it's colour.:)
    Well we have garden furniture now in that black Granite plastic wicker...i got the main table and 4 chairs last year for on the decking and then two more chairs for on the slabbing besides small tables and it cleans up marvellous, it's strong and...
    Well we have garden furniture now in that black Granite plastic wicker...i got the main table and 4 chairs last year for on the decking and then two more chairs for on the slabbing besides small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. wiseowl

Help please

Haucheras, ferns as there are some very colourful ones and grasses would be my first thoughts Woo.. :scratch:
    Haucheras, ferns as there are some very colourful ones and grasses would be my first thoughts Woo.. :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options