1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 10

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 2018

I`m only a little bit envious :cool: ... what a super shot @Verdun
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Because the weather remained dry all day I managed to cut some tarpaulin to size and place under the 3 compost bins which I've placed on concrete slabs. I put the plastic base soil grids onto the...
    Because the weather remained dry all day I managed to cut some tarpaulin to size and place under the 3 compost bins which I've placed on concrete slabs. I put the plastic base soil grids onto the tarpaulin covering the slabs and then placed the compost bins onto to the bases, so I can now start...
    Because the weather remained dry all day I managed to cut some tarpaulin to size and place under the 3 compost bins which I've placed on concrete slabs. I put the plastic base soil grids onto the tarpaulin covering the slabs and then placed the...
    Because the weather remained dry all day I managed to cut some tarpaulin to size and place under the 3 compost bins which I've placed on concrete slabs. I put the plastic base soil grids onto the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

@longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing well G carneus less so it didn't like the cold spring.
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

Greetings from a dreich day in the Calder Valley. Have just noticed that my neighbours are growing a lovely fuchsia on their border. I will ask them about it and see if I can help care for it,...
    Greetings from a dreich day in the Calder Valley. Have just noticed that my neighbours are growing a lovely fuchsia on their border. I will ask them about it and see if I can help care for it, though due to current demands on my time I may wait until the spring before taking any cuttings.
    Greetings from a dreich day in the Calder Valley. Have just noticed that my neighbours are growing a lovely fuchsia on their border. I will ask them about it and see if I can help care for it, though due to current demands on my time I may wait...
    Greetings from a dreich day in the Calder Valley. Have just noticed that my neighbours are growing a lovely fuchsia on their border. I will ask them about it and see if I can help care for it,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

Although Amistad survived the cold spells in a bed outside it took a long time to produce any shoots and none of these developed during the hot dry summer. It didn't get going until I dug it up...
    Although Amistad survived the cold spells in a bed outside it took a long time to produce any shoots and none of these developed during the hot dry summer. It didn't get going until I dug it up at the end of August and stuck it in a pot in the greenhouse, by the end of September it had a...
    Although Amistad survived the cold spells in a bed outside it took a long time to produce any shoots and none of these developed during the hot dry summer. It didn't get going until I dug it up at the end of August and stuck it in a pot in the...
    Although Amistad survived the cold spells in a bed outside it took a long time to produce any shoots and none of these developed during the hot dry summer. It didn't get going until I dug it up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

I wanted to keep the polytunnel above freezing so had a look around for greenhouse heaters. Picked up a hotbox regal gold 4.2kW propane heater for £55. Used for a year and cost £250 when new. ...
    I wanted to keep the polytunnel above freezing so had a look around for greenhouse heaters. Picked up a hotbox regal gold 4.2kW propane heater for £55. Used for a year and cost £250 when new. It had been on gumtree for three weeks. Not sure if it was the heat output or needed a mains supply...
    I wanted to keep the polytunnel above freezing so had a look around for greenhouse heaters. Picked up a hotbox regal gold 4.2kW propane heater for £55. Used for a year and cost £250 when new. It had been on gumtree for three weeks. Not sure...
    I wanted to keep the polytunnel above freezing so had a look around for greenhouse heaters. Picked up a hotbox regal gold 4.2kW propane heater for £55. Used for a year and cost £250 when new. ...
    A57E40E7-EEF0-4A77-88AC-7DC2F673F217.jpeg 8A406237-47E8-4549-9878-0BFE41EEF963.jpeg 20180201_153820.jpg 20180201_153835.jpg 20180201_153856.jpg 20180201_153936.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tetters

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25.   » Normal Threads
  26. longk
    Like x 9

Which plants were truly outstanding in your garden in 2018?

My annuals took best ' doers ' prize this year. Statice, cosmos, cleome, stocks, zinnia, antirrhinum and ( still flowering ) night scented phlox :) I'm sure there where others but they are the ones...
    My annuals took best ' doers ' prize this year. Statice, cosmos, cleome, stocks, zinnia, antirrhinum and ( still flowering ) night scented phlox :) I'm sure there where others but they are the ones that stand out. My rhododendron flowered for the first time in years this spring and my azalea was...
    My annuals took best ' doers ' prize this year. Statice, cosmos, cleome, stocks, zinnia, antirrhinum and ( still flowering ) night scented phlox :) I'm sure there where others but they are the ones that stand out. My rhododendron flowered for the...
    My annuals took best ' doers ' prize this year. Statice, cosmos, cleome, stocks, zinnia, antirrhinum and ( still flowering ) night scented phlox :) I'm sure there where others but they are the ones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. SimonZ

"Pruning" grass

I sowed in spring under cover (coldframes), mainly to stop birds disturbing them, heavy rain washing them out, then planted out in the Autumn.
    I sowed in spring under cover (coldframes), mainly to stop birds disturbing them, heavy rain washing them out, then planted out in the Autumn.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. SimonZ
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Webmaster
    Like x 8

Thank You for your Donations ....

Just don’t drink it all at once, ok? :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. longk

What were your best new plants of 2018?

It's an Epiphyllum hybrid.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Stigofthe

Suprise to see in December

We have that one, I think, flowering as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. PaulB3

Am I morally wrong ?

You saved their lives and are a hero. :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Sienna's Blossom

North facing window box ideas

They're so pretty, would never have thought of that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. ARMANDII

WHAT DO YOU THINK, THIS ONE OR THAT ONE.

That explanes it then and the wet sand :dbgrtmb:As i've hauled compost and peat and other things i got to know how much things weighted to volume and when you said 70 tons of compost i thought " that...
    That explanes it then and the wet sand :dbgrtmb:As i've hauled compost and peat and other things i got to know how much things weighted to volume and when you said 70 tons of compost i thought " that is alot" and would have been one big heap!!! :snorky:
    That explanes it then and the wet sand :dbgrtmb:As i've hauled compost and peat and other things i got to know how much things weighted to volume and when you said 70 tons of compost i thought " that is alot" and would have been one big heap!!! :snorky:
    That explanes it then and the wet sand :dbgrtmb:As i've hauled compost and peat and other things i got to know how much things weighted to volume and when you said 70 tons of compost i thought " that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Petemz

Spring in the garden. 2019 ?

@Clare G My new additions last year also included kniphofia popsicle, lamium and crab apple. All are doing really well. By next spring the lamium should be big enough to split and spread. In a few...
    @Clare G My new additions last year also included kniphofia popsicle, lamium and crab apple. All are doing really well. By next spring the lamium should be big enough to split and spread. In a few years I should have enough to cover the whole border, and all from one sorry looking plant picked...
    @Clare G My new additions last year also included kniphofia popsicle, lamium and crab apple. All are doing really well. By next spring the lamium should be big enough to split and spread. In a few years I should have enough to cover the whole...
    @Clare G My new additions last year also included kniphofia popsicle, lamium and crab apple. All are doing really well. By next spring the lamium should be big enough to split and spread. In a few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Sheal

Weigela

I have two purple ones also, love the dark leaf color against the green around them, it looks nice with a large blue hosta near them.
    I have two purple ones also, love the dark leaf color against the green around them, it looks nice with a large blue hosta near them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. SimonZ

Geum quellyon

Most geums are similar to one another in soils and looking after but there are some website's dealing with different sorts of different geums so it would be good to look them up for...
    Most geums are similar to one another in soils and looking after but there are some website's dealing with different sorts of different geums so it would be good to look them up for more info, Geums are proving to be popular as some are said to be slug free plant as well as...
    Most geums are similar to one another in soils and looking after but there are some website's dealing with different sorts of different geums so it would be good to look them up for more info, Geums are proving to be popular as...
    Most geums are similar to one another in soils and looking after but there are some website's dealing with different sorts of different geums so it would be good to look them up for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Zigs
    Like x 10

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER 2018

Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' looking good in the sunshine after last week's rain ...
    Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' looking good in the sunshine after last week's rain ...
    DSCI0017.JPG CC.jpg DSCI0036.JPG DSCI0038.JPG DSCI0040.JPG DSC01230.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Mike Allen

Planning for 2019

I'll be ordering my plug plants for 2019 this week , to get the discount and free postage offer. They are delivered third week in March for potting on . Seeds are ordered in January , mainly from...
    I'll be ordering my plug plants for 2019 this week , to get the discount and free postage offer. They are delivered third week in March for potting on . Seeds are ordered in January , mainly from Ebay and a few from T and M . I need a few ideas for new seeds,plants , so will be avidly reading GC...
    I'll be ordering my plug plants for 2019 this week , to get the discount and free postage offer. They are delivered third week in March for potting on . Seeds are ordered in January , mainly from Ebay and a few from T and M . I need a few ideas...
    I'll be ordering my plug plants for 2019 this week , to get the discount and free postage offer. They are delivered third week in March for potting on . Seeds are ordered in January , mainly from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Zigs
    Like x 9

Look what I nicked off Tetters

What the heck?........Oh nooo ......:doh::itchy:
    DSCI0306.JPG DSCI0303.JPG DSCF0458.JPG DSCF0462.JPG DSCI0033.JPG DSCF0464.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. clanless

Skipping along today

I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill level" or not much more, but i have seen skips made 2ft higher by doors around the edge and still be...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill level" or not much more, but i have seen skips...
    I think skips have been designed with a built in safety factor, it would be nigh on impossible to fill a 2 tonne skip with 5 tonne of rubble for instance, I've always filled my skips to the "fill...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. trogre

Weather Station

Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember the met office were spending about £60 million on a new computer which would make weather forecasts...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember the met office were spending about £60 million on...
    Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts. It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember...
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. NigelJ

Amaryllis belladonna not flowering

Mine bloom every year in a shaded (by Jacaranda and Melaleuca) dry rockery in clay earth. Have had them for 14 or more years.
    Mine bloom every year in a shaded (by Jacaranda and Melaleuca) dry rockery in clay earth. Have had them for 14 or more years.
    Belladona Lily.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Bobster64
    Friendly x 5

Planting for a north facing cremation plot

@Tetters I have Rebecca and Limpsfield but would like a Jaqueline Postel too. Love the scents.
    @Tetters I have Rebecca and Limpsfield but would like a Jaqueline Postel too. Love the scents.
    Replies:
    Views:
  45. SimonZ

What to do for this sedum? (yellowing leaves)

I have the same Sedum Simon and leave mine to die back fully. In early Spring you should be able to pull the old stems away gently and will see the new ones already budding underneath.
    I have the same Sedum Simon and leave mine to die back fully. In early Spring you should be able to pull the old stems away gently and will see the new ones already budding underneath.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options