1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 14

What's looking good in March 2017

That's wonderful ! I'm pleased for you
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

I do like a man who dresses for the job :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

fuchsia riji 2001
    fuchsia riji 2001
    fuchsia riji 2001
    fuchsia riji 2001
    upload_2017-1-9_20-6-44.jpeg WP_20170326_15_24_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170328_11_10_33_Pro.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Bought some rather nice perennials from Norwells Nursery yesterday: clematis recta straight purple erythronium white beauty corydalis george baker epimedium red beauty geranium blue sunrise viola...
    Bought some rather nice perennials from Norwells Nursery yesterday: clematis recta straight purple erythronium white beauty corydalis george baker epimedium red beauty geranium blue sunrise viola sororia freckles tulipa sprengeri
    Bought some rather nice perennials from Norwells Nursery yesterday: clematis recta straight purple erythronium white beauty corydalis george baker epimedium red beauty geranium blue sunrise viola sororia freckles tulipa sprengeri
    Bought some rather nice perennials from Norwells Nursery yesterday: clematis recta straight purple erythronium white beauty corydalis george baker epimedium red beauty geranium blue sunrise viola...
    20170211_121715.jpg upload_2017-2-11_15-35-10.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-41-56.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-43-9.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-45-49.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-47-43.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Mine are starting to pop up :)
    upload_2017-1-9_20-18-41.jpeg WP_20170219_12_08_41_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170219_12_07_42_Pro_LI (2).jpg DSC_0025.JPG upload_2017-3-3_19-52-21.jpeg 20170306_163633.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

The SP growing method is from Sarah Ravens site . I am more a monkey see monkey do type of gardenr.
    The SP growing method is from Sarah Ravens site . I am more a monkey see monkey do type of gardenr.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

I'm hoping that some of my salvias will do better in their second year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these and...........joy. Geranium...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these and...........joy. Geranium...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would like some please let me know. I am happy to give some...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5435.JPG 823-procyon_1.jpg kenora-sunset.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 7

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. wiseowl

Perennial flowers for border

Good evening all my friends and many thanks for all your valuable and friendly suggestions I would prefer something tall and as this border is in the sun all day and will be very dry I have to...
    Good evening all my friends and many thanks for all your valuable and friendly suggestions I would prefer something tall and as this border is in the sun all day and will be very dry I have to bear this in mind as it really is a sun trap ,you have indeed given me a lot to think about:blue thumb:
    Good evening all my friends and many thanks for all your valuable and friendly suggestions I would prefer something tall and as this border is in the sun all day and will be very dry I have to bear this in mind as it really is a sun trap ,you...
    Good evening all my friends and many thanks for all your valuable and friendly suggestions I would prefer something tall and as this border is in the sun all day and will be very dry I have to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. JWK

Dahlias 2017

Had a look last night at cutting off tubers with eyes . Definitely not as easy as it looks on the video ! I'll just plant full tubers as previous . I also pinch the dahlias out a couple of weeks...
    Had a look last night at cutting off tubers with eyes . Definitely not as easy as it looks on the video ! I'll just plant full tubers as previous . I also pinch the dahlias out a couple of weeks before planting in the garden.
    Had a look last night at cutting off tubers with eyes . Definitely not as easy as it looks on the video ! I'll just plant full tubers as previous . I also pinch the dahlias out a couple of weeks before planting in the garden.
    Had a look last night at cutting off tubers with eyes . Definitely not as easy as it looks on the video ! I'll just plant full tubers as previous . I also pinch the dahlias out a couple of weeks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Bilbo675

Who dunnit?!!

This is the sort of thing we had going on, we found out it was a neighbour playing funny jokes, then the jokes became worse then nastyFrogs or Toads living under the soil
    This is the sort of thing we had going on, we found out it was a neighbour playing funny jokes, then the jokes became worse then nastyFrogs or Toads living under the soil
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. luciusmaximus

Organic chemical free fertilizer

I'm thinking about making the above mentioned as I want/try to garden as organically and wildlife friendly as possible. I've seen a couple of recipes online. Just wondering if anyone has tried...
    I'm thinking about making the above mentioned as I want/try to garden as organically and wildlife friendly as possible. I've seen a couple of recipes online. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what results did you achieve?
    I'm thinking about making the above mentioned as I want/try to garden as organically and wildlife friendly as possible. I've seen a couple of recipes online. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what results did you achieve?
    I'm thinking about making the above mentioned as I want/try to garden as organically and wildlife friendly as possible. I've seen a couple of recipes online. Just wondering if anyone has tried...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Snorky85

Mulching and clay soil improvement

Snap! Snorky85 :) It's all this fresh air.....Those slug pellets sound interesting! The other ones I was thinking of are based on methiocarb but there's something funny going on on t'internet. They...
    Snap! Snorky85 :) It's all this fresh air.....Those slug pellets sound interesting! The other ones I was thinking of are based on methiocarb but there's something funny going on on t'internet. They used to be considered much more wildlife friendly than metaldehyde ones but now the info on Google...
    Snap! Snorky85 :) It's all this fresh air.....Those slug pellets sound interesting! The other ones I was thinking of are based on methiocarb but there's something funny going on on t'internet. They used to be considered much more wildlife friendly...
    Snap! Snorky85 :) It's all this fresh air.....Those slug pellets sound interesting! The other ones I was thinking of are based on methiocarb but there's something funny going on on t'internet. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. silu

Anybody know something about Oriental Lillies?

I doubt they will disappear entirely, as single scales can be used for propagation, just not quite sure if each scale will now grow a new leaf and a bulbil or the whole bunch of scales, ie. the...
    I doubt they will disappear entirely, as single scales can be used for propagation, just not quite sure if each scale will now grow a new leaf and a bulbil or the whole bunch of scales, ie. the bulb, will combine to form a new single flowering stem.
    I doubt they will disappear entirely, as single scales can be used for propagation, just not quite sure if each scale will now grow a new leaf and a bulbil or the whole bunch of scales, ie. the bulb, will combine to form a new single flowering stem.
    I doubt they will disappear entirely, as single scales can be used for propagation, just not quite sure if each scale will now grow a new leaf and a bulbil or the whole bunch of scales, ie. the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Selleri

Frog help please

Spikes Hedgehog biscuits are a slugs favourite meal,i use those and then chuck the slugs in the green bin :) I spray my hostas with a garlic solution,seems to keep them away
    Spikes Hedgehog biscuits are a slugs favourite meal,i use those and then chuck the slugs in the green bin :) I spray my hostas with a garlic solution,seems to keep them away
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

GARDENERS WORLD - GOOD NEW WEEK!

Another take on GW. Our plot thickens. Would we really want the razzmatazz of Top Geer ,or Bake off ? But an hour long would be good. Never mind Beechgrove is back on Sunday. Win Win for us...
    Another take on GW. Our plot thickens. Would we really want the razzmatazz of Top Geer ,or Bake off ? But an hour long would be good. Never mind Beechgrove is back on Sunday. Win Win for us gardeners.Gardeners's World Monty Don hits out at BBC:dig::planting:
    Another take on GW. Our plot thickens. Would we really want the razzmatazz of Top Geer ,or Bake off ? But an hour long would be good. Never mind Beechgrove is back on Sunday. Win Win for us gardeners.Gardeners's World Monty Don hits out at BBC:dig::planting:
    Another take on GW. Our plot thickens. Would we really want the razzmatazz of Top Geer ,or Bake off ? But an hour long would be good. Never mind Beechgrove is back on Sunday. Win Win for us...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. intel

Best Method To Store Plant Food (Blood Fish Bone)

If the damp doesn't get them, slugs,snails will eat the printing off the box leaving you wondering just what the contents are. Use snap on lidded buckets, write on outside with permanent marker...
    If the damp doesn't get them, slugs,snails will eat the printing off the box leaving you wondering just what the contents are. Use snap on lidded buckets, write on outside with permanent marker and retain part of box with instructions inside the bucket.
    If the damp doesn't get them, slugs,snails will eat the printing off the box leaving you wondering just what the contents are. Use snap on lidded buckets, write on outside with permanent marker and retain part of box with instructions inside the...
    If the damp doesn't get them, slugs,snails will eat the printing off the box leaving you wondering just what the contents are. Use snap on lidded buckets, write on outside with permanent marker...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Sirius

RHS Spring /Orchid

In my wisdom I decided I wanted one of the stone troughs. Picked one up and it didn't seem that heavy. Lets just say I can't feel my arms. :yikes:
    In my wisdom I decided I wanted one of the stone troughs. Picked one up and it didn't seem that heavy. Lets just say I can't feel my arms. :yikes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. silu
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. fat controller

Delphiniums - sowing advice

I never seem to have any success with delphiniums, yet I do like them so I am having another crack at them this year.I am under the impression that they need to be sown and then have light...
    I never seem to have any success with delphiniums, yet I do like them so I am having another crack at them this year.I am under the impression that they need to be sown and then have light excluded - is this right?Any other advice to get them to germinate?
    I never seem to have any success with delphiniums, yet I do like them so I am having another crack at them this year.I am under the impression that they need to be sown and then have light excluded - is this right?Any other advice to get...
    I never seem to have any success with delphiniums, yet I do like them so I am having another crack at them this year.I am under the impression that they need to be sown and then have light...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Badgeman

Hello to all! Advice needed

I'd say some sort of dense hedge too - as much for noise abatement as anything. What about English Laurel?
    I'd say some sort of dense hedge too - as much for noise abatement as anything. What about English Laurel?
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. HarryS

Is Ivy Harmful to Trees ?

Some of the trees around here have ivy growing up them, the main problem is that some times the ivy can stangle the tree when it's raped around it, some here the trees have a inch hollow in the...
    Some of the trees around here have ivy growing up them, the main problem is that some times the ivy can stangle the tree when it's raped around it, some here the trees have a inch hollow in the truck where the ivy has raped around and been removed
    Some of the trees around here have ivy growing up them, the main problem is that some times the ivy can stangle the tree when it's raped around it, some here the trees have a inch hollow in the truck where the ivy has raped around and been removed
    Some of the trees around here have ivy growing up them, the main problem is that some times the ivy can stangle the tree when it's raped around it, some here the trees have a inch hollow in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. AlexP

Nettles: removal and disposal options

Of late, I've been turning more and more against the use of any form of weedkillers, mainly because I dont believe that available information is not tainted by the desire of big companies to make...
    Of late, I've been turning more and more against the use of any form of weedkillers, mainly because I dont believe that available information is not tainted by the desire of big companies to make obscene profits.So why not simply burn the...err...little tinkers out with a propane blowtorch?...
    Of late, I've been turning more and more against the use of any form of weedkillers, mainly because I dont believe that available information is not tainted by the desire of big companies to make obscene profits.So why not simply burn...
    Of late, I've been turning more and more against the use of any form of weedkillers, mainly because I dont believe that available information is not tainted by the desire of big companies to make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. TurnedThespian

Getting rid of evil brambles!

It may be that the other plants aren't worth saving, but I want to wait until summer to see what they are. I suppose it would make life easier if it turns out there's nothing worth preserving, but...
    It may be that the other plants aren't worth saving, but I want to wait until summer to see what they are. I suppose it would make life easier if it turns out there's nothing worth preserving, but I don't want to commit wholesale herbicide against all the vegetation until I know what the garden...
    It may be that the other plants aren't worth saving, but I want to wait until summer to see what they are. I suppose it would make life easier if it turns out there's nothing worth preserving, but I don't want to commit wholesale herbicide...
    It may be that the other plants aren't worth saving, but I want to wait until summer to see what they are. I suppose it would make life easier if it turns out there's nothing worth preserving, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. clueless1

If I don't want to set myself on fire....

I am gathering it is a push mower, not a ridding mower (that would have had a battery left in it all winter (not good) ) And you did not cover it up at all? even with a plastic thing??
    I am gathering it is a push mower, not a ridding mower (that would have had a battery left in it all winter (not good) ) And you did not cover it up at all? even with a plastic thing??
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. wiseowl

New Hawthorn Hedge

They should know what they're doing as they planted a new hedge that was subsequently used for the National Championship a few years ago, an ex-neighbour helps organise these competitions, and...
    They should know what they're doing as they planted a new hedge that was subsequently used for the National Championship a few years ago, an ex-neighbour helps organise these competitions, and sometimes gets in the top 3.
    They should know what they're doing as they planted a new hedge that was subsequently used for the National Championship a few years ago, an ex-neighbour helps organise these competitions, and sometimes gets in the top 3.
    They should know what they're doing as they planted a new hedge that was subsequently used for the National Championship a few years ago, an ex-neighbour helps organise these competitions, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. HarryS
    Like x 3

Early Plug Flower

Some plug plants arrived this week . This one Bidens Bee Alive (new to me ), is already in flower ! I grew Bidens Golden Eye from seed last year and it was a bit long and straggly. Hopefully I can...
    Some plug plants arrived this week . This one Bidens Bee Alive (new to me ), is already in flower ! I grew Bidens Golden Eye from seed last year and it was a bit long and straggly. Hopefully I can keep these more compact.
    Some plug plants arrived this week . This one Bidens Bee Alive (new to me ), is already in flower ! I grew Bidens Golden Eye from seed last year and it was a bit long and straggly. Hopefully I can keep these more compact.
    Some plug plants arrived this week . This one Bidens Bee Alive (new to me ), is already in flower ! I grew Bidens Golden Eye from seed last year and it was a bit long and straggly. Hopefully I can...
    DSCN1729 (2).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. HarryS

Brookside Nursery Free Delivery

Woo Hoo! Mine are due this week too, as always by this time of year my greenhouse is already stuffed full, so I'll have to start making compromises, the Brookside Nursery plugs will be given a...
    Woo Hoo! Mine are due this week too, as always by this time of year my greenhouse is already stuffed full, so I'll have to start making compromises, the Brookside Nursery plugs will be given a good cosy position as I've paid good money for them but all my cuttings will have to take their chances...
    Woo Hoo! Mine are due this week too, as always by this time of year my greenhouse is already stuffed full, so I'll have to start making compromises, the Brookside Nursery plugs will be given a good cosy position as I've paid good money for them...
    Woo Hoo! Mine are due this week too, as always by this time of year my greenhouse is already stuffed full, so I'll have to start making compromises, the Brookside Nursery plugs will be given a...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options