1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Hi All,I've been away in the Lake District (had a good time :blue thumb:) and now need to try and catch up on the garden :phew:. The first job is to clear away all the debris of fallen branches from the storm...
    Hi All,I've been away in the Lake District (had a good time :blue thumb:) and now need to try and catch up on the garden :phew:. The first job is to clear away all the debris of fallen branches from the storm that obviously occurred. :sad:Doing that plus removing and storing the rabbit defences from one of my...
    Hi All,I've been away in the Lake District (had a good time :blue thumb:) and now need to try and catch up on the garden :phew:. The first job is to clear away all the debris of fallen branches from the storm that obviously occurred. :sad:Doing that plus removing...
    Hi All,I've been away in the Lake District (had a good time :blue thumb:) and now need to try and catch up on the garden :phew:. The first job is to clear away all the debris of fallen branches from the storm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Like x 12

What's looking good in September 2017

I won't be planting there anytime soon.G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Well done, Jack, it's a good start to improving the soil............another 3000 bags and you'll be halfway there.:thumbsup::heehee:
    Well done, Jack, it's a good start to improving the soil............another 3000 bags and you'll be halfway there.:thumbsup::heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

FUCHSIAS - 2017

I hadn't noticed that :doh:Ok. I'll stick with Display which is actually one of the better doers that I have.
    I hadn't noticed that :doh:Ok. I'll stick with Display which is actually one of the better doers that I have.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

Lookin good Pete :)I keep a temporary brick in my passenger footwell :thumbsup: Never know when you'll need one these days
    Lookin good Pete :)I keep a temporary brick in my passenger footwell :thumbsup: Never know when you'll need one these days
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

Salvia atrocyanea.............. Salvia atrocyanea by longk48, on FlickrA bit late but the seed was only sown in April.
    Salvia atrocyanea.............. Salvia atrocyanea by longk48, on FlickrA bit late but the seed was only sown in April.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

Hi folks,Not sure what the weather will bring today, but we'll cope with it. :thumbsup:
    Hi folks,Not sure what the weather will bring today, but we'll cope with it. :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Absolutely fantastic Sweet-pea!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22.   » Normal Threads
  23. NigelJ
    Friendly x 7

Freak Garden Accident

For people living in the countryside and when there is a farm hedgetrimer about, becarefull if you are out and about in the garden or any where else,I read about a woman in her own garden when...
    For people living in the countryside and when there is a farm hedgetrimer about, becarefull if you are out and about in the garden or any where else,I read about a woman in her own garden when she was hit by something, which turned out to be some bard wire which was picked up by a farm...
    For people living in the countryside and when there is a farm hedgetrimer about, becarefull if you are out and about in the garden or any where else,I read about a woman in her own garden when she was hit by something, which turned out to be...
    For people living in the countryside and when there is a farm hedgetrimer about, becarefull if you are out and about in the garden or any where else,I read about a woman in her own garden when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. HarryS

Verbena bonariensis , what is it ?

Excellent Harry. Yes pot them on now, pinch back and over winter outside....fleece to hand during cold spells or in the gh. Dont plant out though. Pot up any seedlings you find :)
    Excellent Harry. Yes pot them on now, pinch back and over winter outside....fleece to hand during cold spells or in the gh. Dont plant out though. Pot up any seedlings you find :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Irmemac

Suffering Grass

Sandy, hadn't ever considered that, but you are right. Will investigate, as the tree is worth a lot to me. Thank you :thumbsup:
    Sandy, hadn't ever considered that, but you are right. Will investigate, as the tree is worth a lot to me. Thank you :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Loofah

Wisley Flower Show

OK @Redwing, I think it's fixed. I hadn't realised that the images were hosted on THIS site and linked through. Although they still exist it wasn't working for some reason so I've uploaded them to...
    OK @Redwing, I think it's fixed. I hadn't realised that the images were hosted on THIS site and linked through. Although they still exist it wasn't working for some reason so I've uploaded them to wordpress and all looks ok now
    OK @Redwing, I think it's fixed. I hadn't realised that the images were hosted on THIS site and linked through. Although they still exist it wasn't working for some reason so I've uploaded them to wordpress and all looks ok now
    OK @Redwing, I think it's fixed. I hadn't realised that the images were hosted on THIS site and linked through. Although they still exist it wasn't working for some reason so I've uploaded them to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 3

Creating winter interest.

Always wise to grow things that suit your conditions right from the start. Always options.....trachelospermum or summer jasmine will fare better than a honeysuckle in slightly dryer spots. ...
    Always wise to grow things that suit your conditions right from the start. Always options.....trachelospermum or summer jasmine will fare better than a honeysuckle in slightly dryer spots. Classier too :) Just back from a walk to the beach.....light, bright, sunny and feeling warm:yes:. Hmmm! The...
    Always wise to grow things that suit your conditions right from the start. Always options.....trachelospermum or summer jasmine will fare better than a honeysuckle in slightly dryer spots. Classier too :) Just back from a walk to the...
    Always wise to grow things that suit your conditions right from the start. Always options.....trachelospermum or summer jasmine will fare better than a honeysuckle in slightly dryer spots. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Kimpop

Privacy/noise blockers?

@Kimpop hope these links help and great news :planting: on your new garden exciting times ahead :)Sound deadening hedgeNoise Blocking Plants – Tips For Using Shrubs And Trees As A Noise Barrier
    @Kimpop hope these links help and great news :planting: on your new garden exciting times ahead :)Sound deadening hedgeNoise Blocking Plants – Tips For Using Shrubs And Trees As A Noise Barrier
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. BeeHappy

Glorious Gardens from above

I've been watching this BH, my wife has set the series to record, this is also worth a watch. Mountain: Life at the Extreme review – a documentary on survival, death and human peregrines in the...
    I've been watching this BH, my wife has set the series to record, this is also worth a watch. Mountain: Life at the Extreme review – a documentary on survival, death and human peregrines in the RockiesMountain: Life at the Extreme - BBC Two
    I've been watching this BH, my wife has set the series to record, this is also worth a watch. Mountain: Life at the Extreme review – a documentary on survival, death and human peregrines in the RockiesMountain: Life at the Extreme - BBC Two
    I've been watching this BH, my wife has set the series to record, this is also worth a watch. Mountain: Life at the Extreme review – a documentary on survival, death and human peregrines in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. silu

What best to do with limited amount of topsoil.

I'm sure you'll get there in the end with it but it sounds like you are doing the right things.
    I'm sure you'll get there in the end with it but it sounds like you are doing the right things.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Howard Stone

When to hard prune evergreen hedges -- holly and box?

The "secret" with pruning hollies is to do it regularly. Then bare wood is never a problem. I will be pruning ......trimming....a very large Golden King soon and the effect will simply be to...
    The "secret" with pruning hollies is to do it regularly. Then bare wood is never a problem. I will be pruning ......trimming....a very large Golden King soon and the effect will simply be to help it look neat. Often people suggest pruning in spring to avoid the "bare" look however hollies...
    The "secret" with pruning hollies is to do it regularly. Then bare wood is never a problem. I will be pruning ......trimming....a very large Golden King soon and the effect will simply be to help it look neat. Often people suggest pruning in...
    The "secret" with pruning hollies is to do it regularly. Then bare wood is never a problem. I will be pruning ......trimming....a very large Golden King soon and the effect will simply be to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Newbienoidea

Gardening business...start up advice.

Thanks. Yes at the moment I'm trying not to get too bogged down in running costs or expenses etc. I'm trying to work out a price so that I'm making a profit but not looking into it to deeply. I...
    Thanks. Yes at the moment I'm trying not to get too bogged down in running costs or expenses etc. I'm trying to work out a price so that I'm making a profit but not looking into it to deeply. I just want to get some experience first. It's been a lot of time and definitely a lot of thinking to...
    Thanks. Yes at the moment I'm trying not to get too bogged down in running costs or expenses etc. I'm trying to work out a price so that I'm making a profit but not looking into it to deeply. I just want to get some experience first. It's been a...
    Thanks. Yes at the moment I'm trying not to get too bogged down in running costs or expenses etc. I'm trying to work out a price so that I'm making a profit but not looking into it to deeply. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Irmemac

Sad Little Corner

Thank you green-fingered blogger, that is good advice. I would really like scented plants around the patio so your advice will be useful. Interestingly I took a photo of some pelargoniums at a...
    Thank you green-fingered blogger, that is good advice. I would really like scented plants around the patio so your advice will be useful. Interestingly I took a photo of some pelargoniums at a garden centre recently to go on my hit list! Great point about the cover..... don't want my patio to...
    Thank you green-fingered blogger, that is good advice. I would really like scented plants around the patio so your advice will be useful. Interestingly I took a photo of some pelargoniums at a garden centre recently to go on my hit list! Great...
    Thank you green-fingered blogger, that is good advice. I would really like scented plants around the patio so your advice will be useful. Interestingly I took a photo of some pelargoniums at a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. alana

Bay Tree Blues

Perfect alana .......great pot too. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Pete8

Butternut Squash ready?

Maybe I'll have to have some more windowsill's put in :) The humidity did cross my mind and the weather looks set to be quite miserable for a while, so I'll decorate my windowsills with squash. I...
    Maybe I'll have to have some more windowsill's put in :) The humidity did cross my mind and the weather looks set to be quite miserable for a while, so I'll decorate my windowsills with squash. I can probably get all of them on my bedroom windowsill which faces south and will have to move them if...
    Maybe I'll have to have some more windowsill's put in :) The humidity did cross my mind and the weather looks set to be quite miserable for a while, so I'll decorate my windowsills with squash. I can probably get all of them on my bedroom...
    Maybe I'll have to have some more windowsill's put in :) The humidity did cross my mind and the weather looks set to be quite miserable for a while, so I'll decorate my windowsills with squash. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Zigs
    Like x 11

What's looking good in August 2017

September thread here What's looking good in September 2017
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Perki

Which Yellow rose

Good evening @Perki Charles Darwin is a very good choice ,disease resistant,strong scent,everything going for it in my opinnion
    Good evening @Perki Charles Darwin is a very good choice ,disease resistant,strong scent,everything going for it in my opinnion
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. silu

Reducing height of Cupressus Leylandii Hedge

Thank you, Verdun. Just going to have a look at the weather forecast, with a view to digging out the hedge cutters at the weekend.Silu, love your 'lollipops'! A great way of keeping people off...
    Thank you, Verdun. Just going to have a look at the weather forecast, with a view to digging out the hedge cutters at the weekend.Silu, love your 'lollipops'! A great way of keeping people off the verges. I don't like leylandii either, but those were the best, quick, option a few years ago. ...
    Thank you, Verdun. Just going to have a look at the weather forecast, with a view to digging out the hedge cutters at the weekend.Silu, love your 'lollipops'! A great way of keeping people off the verges. I don't like leylandii either, but...
    Thank you, Verdun. Just going to have a look at the weather forecast, with a view to digging out the hedge cutters at the weekend.Silu, love your 'lollipops'! A great way of keeping people off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. fuchsialady

Weed ID please

Thank you all. I have dug one up, compared it on Google (the app I mentioned still thinks its bindweed!) - the curl where it joins the stem is a bit of a giveaway. Maybe I won't be so brutal with...
    Thank you all. I have dug one up, compared it on Google (the app I mentioned still thinks its bindweed!) - the curl where it joins the stem is a bit of a giveaway. Maybe I won't be so brutal with it if it's not in the way. I certainly have never seen a flower. It's nice to have a name for when I...
    Thank you all. I have dug one up, compared it on Google (the app I mentioned still thinks its bindweed!) - the curl where it joins the stem is a bit of a giveaway. Maybe I won't be so brutal with it if it's not in the way. I certainly have never...
    Thank you all. I have dug one up, compared it on Google (the app I mentioned still thinks its bindweed!) - the curl where it joins the stem is a bit of a giveaway. Maybe I won't be so brutal with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. GardenGaz

Any idea what's causing this?

Yes I would GardenGaz....prob wait until mid September now but soak rootballs, tease out roots if they look congested or tight, use john innes compost and water well. Your plants will thank you...
    Yes I would GardenGaz....prob wait until mid September now but soak rootballs, tease out roots if they look congested or tight, use john innes compost and water well. Your plants will thank you for it
    Yes I would GardenGaz....prob wait until mid September now but soak rootballs, tease out roots if they look congested or tight, use john innes compost and water well. Your plants will thank you for it
    Yes I would GardenGaz....prob wait until mid September now but soak rootballs, tease out roots if they look congested or tight, use john innes compost and water well. Your plants will thank you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. zilly
    Like x 3

I'm so HAPPY

Lovely sandy loam here. I guess I wouldn't swap either :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ricky101

Polyanthus / Primrose

Getting the autumn catalogues though the door and am interested in some of the above for a bit of winter colour.There are several varieties of garden ready plants listed , like Crescendo,...
    Getting the autumn catalogues though the door and am interested in some of the above for a bit of winter colour.There are several varieties of garden ready plants listed , like Crescendo, Firecracker, Most Sented, Autumn Colours and Husky.Any suggestion /experience if any one variety gives...
    Getting the autumn catalogues though the door and am interested in some of the above for a bit of winter colour.There are several varieties of garden ready plants listed , like Crescendo, Firecracker, Most Sented, Autumn Colours and...
    Getting the autumn catalogues though the door and am interested in some of the above for a bit of winter colour.There are several varieties of garden ready plants listed , like Crescendo,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options