1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Yesterday evening I did the post-flower prune on the wigelia, the philadelphus and the top border deutzia. This morning I pruned the huge patio bed deutzia, and made bundles, or faggots, of all...
    Yesterday evening I did the post-flower prune on the wigelia, the philadelphus and the top border deutzia. This morning I pruned the huge patio bed deutzia, and made bundles, or faggots, of all the pruned stems, ready to put out for garden waste collection next week.Now all I have to do is...
    Yesterday evening I did the post-flower prune on the wigelia, the philadelphus and the top border deutzia. This morning I pruned the huge patio bed deutzia, and made bundles, or faggots, of all the pruned stems, ready to put out for garden waste...
    Yesterday evening I did the post-flower prune on the wigelia, the philadelphus and the top border deutzia. This morning I pruned the huge patio bed deutzia, and made bundles, or faggots, of all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

Got another astilbe cappuccino ordered. Arriving on Tuesday :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Zigs
    Like x 12

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JUNE 2018

Excellent John:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

Salvia greggii Icing Sugar has only just started to flower. If we get a Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden, this is the one plant it will go for.
    Salvia greggii Icing Sugar has only just started to flower. If we get a Hummingbird Hawk Moth in the garden, this is the one plant it will go for.
    DSC_0383.JPG 20180605_184145.jpg 20180605_184225.jpg 20180605_184155.jpg 20180605_185454.jpg 20180601_183930.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

Sisyrinchium californicum............. Sisyrinchium californicum by longk48, on Flickr
    Sisyrinchium californicum............. Sisyrinchium californicum by longk48, on Flickr
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group....
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group. The flowers are large and it reportedly grows to three or four feet in height.............. Fuchsia...
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group. The flowers are large and it reportedly grows to...
    I bought Fuchsia 'Insulinde' a few eeks ago and it has romped away in the recent warm weather. Quite a new introduction this looks to have the potential to become the best of the Triphylla group....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild flower meadow. It grew and I have had a fantastic show...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece of my garden and then laid 50 sq' M of wild...
    The problem with Buttercups is that they are very pretty for a short time and then they start spreading like mad. They can very quickly take over an area.A year ago, I prepared a derelict piece...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tetters

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24.   » Normal Threads
  25. Sheal

Ilex - Holly

Handsworth New Silver, already mentioned by @Verdun, is female and handsome - white and green variegated foliage and the young stems are dark purple. Mine berries well, as does my neighbours plain...
    Handsworth New Silver, already mentioned by @Verdun, is female and handsome - white and green variegated foliage and the young stems are dark purple. Mine berries well, as does my neighbours plain dark green one (no idea of variety).The only drawback with a holly, which nobody has mentioned so...
    Handsworth New Silver, already mentioned by @Verdun, is female and handsome - white and green variegated foliage and the young stems are dark purple. Mine berries well, as does my neighbours plain dark green one (no idea of variety).The only...
    Handsworth New Silver, already mentioned by @Verdun, is female and handsome - white and green variegated foliage and the young stems are dark purple. Mine berries well, as does my neighbours plain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. stony

plant identification App's for your phone.

I’m waiting for the day when I can buy a pair of binoculars whereby when I look at a bird when out and about it will come up with what bird it is for my list as I have lost count of the amount of...
    I’m waiting for the day when I can buy a pair of binoculars whereby when I look at a bird when out and about it will come up with what bird it is for my list as I have lost count of the amount of hours we have sat in a hide trying to identify one particular bird because of a slight variation in...
    I’m waiting for the day when I can buy a pair of binoculars whereby when I look at a bird when out and about it will come up with what bird it is for my list as I have lost count of the amount of hours we have sat in a hide trying to identify one...
    I’m waiting for the day when I can buy a pair of binoculars whereby when I look at a bird when out and about it will come up with what bird it is for my list as I have lost count of the amount of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. kerrygirl
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. longk

Can you guess what this is?

I have that effect on people quite a lot - but the two words are reversed! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I have that effect on people quite a lot - but the two words are reversed! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. poge

dahlia double head

One of my Calendulas has a double sided flower head
    100_7982.JPG DBCD78BB-2076-45F4-98D8-CC71E3EA326A.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. TonyR

How to grow my privet quickly

Again, thanks for the advice. I will prick all the flower buds out. Oddly, only a few of the plants have these - is that a male/female thing, or just timing?In an ideal world, I would plant...
    Again, thanks for the advice. I will prick all the flower buds out. Oddly, only a few of the plants have these - is that a male/female thing, or just timing?In an ideal world, I would plant these out tomorrow, but for a lot of reasons, the conifers aren’t coming up until at least winter...
    Again, thanks for the advice. I will prick all the flower buds out. Oddly, only a few of the plants have these - is that a male/female thing, or just timing?In an ideal world, I would plant these out tomorrow, but for a lot of reasons, the...
    Again, thanks for the advice. I will prick all the flower buds out. Oddly, only a few of the plants have these - is that a male/female thing, or just timing?In an ideal world, I would plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Colo

Red hot poker advice

Ha thank you. Its more of a good photo rather than gardening skills. But I'm trying to put in a bit more effort this year as it's my new found therapy. :) I'm in Hertfordshire, I believe it's a SW...
    Ha thank you. Its more of a good photo rather than gardening skills. But I'm trying to put in a bit more effort this year as it's my new found therapy. :) I'm in Hertfordshire, I believe it's a SW facing garden.Thank you. I will cut down to the base instead. I hope they come back up. I...
    Ha thank you. Its more of a good photo rather than gardening skills. But I'm trying to put in a bit more effort this year as it's my new found therapy. :) I'm in Hertfordshire, I believe it's a SW facing garden.Thank you. I will cut down to...
    Ha thank you. Its more of a good photo rather than gardening skills. But I'm trying to put in a bit more effort this year as it's my new found therapy. :) I'm in Hertfordshire, I believe it's a SW...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. fumanchu

Tough Hardy Climbers?

Hydrangea Anomala Petiolaris is lovely and thrives on North facing walls and is fully hardy.
    Hydrangea Anomala Petiolaris is lovely and thrives on North facing walls and is fully hardy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. CanadianLori
    Like x 5

I passed on my passion for gardening to

@CanadianLori @martin-f and @JWK ...lovely to see how your children besides grandchildren having taken the bug up as well and smashing pictures :love30:
    @CanadianLori @martin-f and @JWK ...lovely to see how your children besides grandchildren having taken the bug up as well and smashing pictures :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

You're welcome. :) I've heard recently that Photobucket have back tracked so perhaps your photo's may be reinstated. Mine are all on my computer, I wasn't prepared to risk them elsewhere.
    You're welcome. :) I've heard recently that Photobucket have back tracked so perhaps your photo's may be reinstated. Mine are all on my computer, I wasn't prepared to risk them elsewhere.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Sarah Eley

Perennial sweet pea - latifolius

Many thanks. I need tomorite for something else so two birds and one stone...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Riverman

Growing Morning Glory

transplanted my Moon Flowers into a long trough planter, there are 12 in there. now about 4 inches tall. still waiting to secure the climbing trellis. hope in 3 weeks they will be ready.
    transplanted my Moon Flowers into a long trough planter, there are 12 in there. now about 4 inches tall. still waiting to secure the climbing trellis. hope in 3 weeks they will be ready.
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Mike Allen
    Like x 4

Lack of rainfall and the garden.

As usual, we have drifted away from the original topic (nothing wrong with that :noidea:) but lighting is always a contentious issue. Trying to draw a line between necessary lighting, aesthetic...
    As usual, we have drifted away from the original topic (nothing wrong with that :noidea:) but lighting is always a contentious issue. Trying to draw a line between necessary lighting, aesthetic lighting, power conservation and light pollution is an impossibility - and everyone has their own ideas of...
    As usual, we have drifted away from the original topic (nothing wrong with that :noidea:) but lighting is always a contentious issue. Trying to draw a line between necessary lighting, aesthetic lighting, power conservation and light pollution is an...
    As usual, we have drifted away from the original topic (nothing wrong with that :noidea:) but lighting is always a contentious issue. Trying to draw a line between necessary lighting, aesthetic...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Doghouse Riley
    Like x 3

Spot the Difference

Well done DHR :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Selleri
    Like x 5

What mistakes have you NOT learnt from?

Hi @Sirius I am also worried about my Dicksonia , no signs or any new fronds yet - I really hope I haven't lost it to the Beast. I am hoping it will survive, the crown looks healthy as far as I...
    Hi @Sirius I am also worried about my Dicksonia , no signs or any new fronds yet - I really hope I haven't lost it to the Beast. I am hoping it will survive, the crown looks healthy as far as I can tell, I'm just hoping it is sulking and will spring into life soon. I am sure the new fronds are...
    Hi @Sirius I am also worried about my Dicksonia , no signs or any new fronds yet - I really hope I haven't lost it to the Beast. I am hoping it will survive, the crown looks healthy as far as I can tell, I'm just hoping it is sulking and will...
    Hi @Sirius I am also worried about my Dicksonia , no signs or any new fronds yet - I really hope I haven't lost it to the Beast. I am hoping it will survive, the crown looks healthy as far as I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Emmagarden

Help needed!

Hi @Emmagarden are those ants on your Knapweed too, difficult to see from the photo.Ants by themselves won't do much harm to plants, they feed on other insects. However their burrowing nests may...
    Hi @Emmagarden are those ants on your Knapweed too, difficult to see from the photo.Ants by themselves won't do much harm to plants, they feed on other insects. However their burrowing nests may undermine the roots of young plants. Ants like dry soil condition so keep giving the willow and...
    Hi @Emmagarden are those ants on your Knapweed too, difficult to see from the photo.Ants by themselves won't do much harm to plants, they feed on other insects. However their burrowing nests may undermine the roots of young plants. Ants like...
    Hi @Emmagarden are those ants on your Knapweed too, difficult to see from the photo.Ants by themselves won't do much harm to plants, they feed on other insects. However their burrowing nests may...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. reb999000

My Two Hydrangeas

Hi reb, it's coming on alright mate and two of mine flower in that colour or purple...just need to see what they're like this year. So you kept it where it was? and just gave it some food :thumbsup:
    Hi reb, it's coming on alright mate and two of mine flower in that colour or purple...just need to see what they're like this year. So you kept it where it was? and just gave it some food :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. AndyS

Digitalis - Foxgloves - How best to nurture them year on year?

Good afternoon I just love Foxgloves but won't have them in the garden because of my furry friends,they are toxic to animals
    Good afternoon I just love Foxgloves but won't have them in the garden because of my furry friends,they are toxic to animals
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Terence da silva

Please help!!

Not sure what it is but pretty sure its not badgers as we have them and they dig big holes.
    Not sure what it is but pretty sure its not badgers as we have them and they dig big holes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. HarryS

New Clematis not Flowering ?

Cant compare though Harry. Im prepared to wait a tad longer for it to flower if its plant I want. Bet you'll be posting pictures of it flowering in less than 4 weeks :)
    Cant compare though Harry. Im prepared to wait a tad longer for it to flower if its plant I want. Bet you'll be posting pictures of it flowering in less than 4 weeks :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options