1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney
    Like x 13

What's Looking Good In October 2017

Hi Shiney, it's about bang on time. They can start in Sept and go on till Nov. They're a distant relation of the Winter/Spring Snowdrops and come from Greece.
    Hi Shiney, it's about bang on time. They can start in Sept and go on till Nov. They're a distant relation of the Winter/Spring Snowdrops and come from Greece.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

A windy day here, but mild and sunny so we got a few odd jobs done today, not 'proper' gardening but things which needed doing.We're keeping an eye on things garden wise for one of the...
    A windy day here, but mild and sunny so we got a few odd jobs done today, not 'proper' gardening but things which needed doing.We're keeping an eye on things garden wise for one of the neighbours while they're away for a while, so I popped round and swept their front drive to keep the place...
    A windy day here, but mild and sunny so we got a few odd jobs done today, not 'proper' gardening but things which needed doing.We're keeping an eye on things garden wise for one of the neighbours while they're away for a while, so I popped...
    A windy day here, but mild and sunny so we got a few odd jobs done today, not 'proper' gardening but things which needed doing.We're keeping an eye on things garden wise for one of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

:yes: methinks that sounds like a good plan :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

FUCHSIAS - 2017

Hi all.Appreciate any advice on how to handle this outbreak of rust (?) on this tender standard.Its been outside all summer and just brought it into the greenhouse last week as we were...
    Hi all.Appreciate any advice on how to handle this outbreak of rust (?) on this tender standard.Its been outside all summer and just brought it into the greenhouse last week as we were getting some colder nights.It literally became covered in this rust withing the last day or two , its a...
    Hi all.Appreciate any advice on how to handle this outbreak of rust (?) on this tender standard.Its been outside all summer and just brought it into the greenhouse last week as we were getting some colder nights.It literally became covered...
    Hi all.Appreciate any advice on how to handle this outbreak of rust (?) on this tender standard.Its been outside all summer and just brought it into the greenhouse last week as we were...
    upload_2017-1-9_20-6-44.jpeg WP_20170326_15_24_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170328_11_10_33_Pro.jpg HB.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

Another plant arrival today, yet another potted plant without a home. :noidea: I lift some of my tender perennials in autumn but this year I will keep more of them in the ground. Patens survives here...
    Another plant arrival today, yet another potted plant without a home. :noidea: I lift some of my tender perennials in autumn but this year I will keep more of them in the ground. Patens survives here over winter anyway.:) Those in the gh do appear earlier but no noticeable difference in mid summer
    Another plant arrival today, yet another potted plant without a home. :noidea: I lift some of my tender perennials in autumn but this year I will keep more of them in the ground. Patens survives here over winter anyway.:) Those in the gh do appear...
    Another plant arrival today, yet another potted plant without a home. :noidea: I lift some of my tender perennials in autumn but this year I will keep more of them in the ground. Patens survives here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. KFF

What's happened to " what jobs are we .... "

Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Shiney New Thread HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

Lookin good Pete :)I keep a temporary brick in my passenger footwell :thumbsup: Never know when you'll need one these days
    Lookin good Pete :)I keep a temporary brick in my passenger footwell :thumbsup: Never know when you'll need one these days
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Thank you :) It has a companion in front of it: Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro which, I think, compliments the colour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Absolutely fantastic Sweet-pea!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23.   » Normal Threads
  24. HarryS

Sulphate of Iron Vs Sequestered Iron

Thanks for all the advice , I do use Iron Sulphate on my lawn for moss control and a tonic. But as I understand now, to feed iron to plants it needs to be in the Sequestered or chelated form , for...
    Thanks for all the advice , I do use Iron Sulphate on my lawn for moss control and a tonic. But as I understand now, to feed iron to plants it needs to be in the Sequestered or chelated form , for it to be absorbed into their systems. Went to my local GC about 1 mile away , it has quite a large...
    Thanks for all the advice , I do use Iron Sulphate on my lawn for moss control and a tonic. But as I understand now, to feed iron to plants it needs to be in the Sequestered or chelated form , for it to be absorbed into their systems. Went to my...
    Thanks for all the advice , I do use Iron Sulphate on my lawn for moss control and a tonic. But as I understand now, to feed iron to plants it needs to be in the Sequestered or chelated form , for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Selleri

What is a good price to have a hedge pruned by a professional?

I totally agree re the privet, and I never ever quote by the hour. It's a way to severely limit your business.
    I totally agree re the privet, and I never ever quote by the hour. It's a way to severely limit your business.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Steve R

White Plastic Plant Labels

Without going outside now and facing Brian, I cannot guarantee that the one's I've used this year have a smooth side and a slightly rougher side. However, I can state that I bought some white...
    Without going outside now and facing Brian, I cannot guarantee that the one's I've used this year have a smooth side and a slightly rougher side. However, I can state that I bought some white plastic labels earlier this year from either: Pound Shop; £stretcher or B&M. The bag I bought came...
    Without going outside now and facing Brian, I cannot guarantee that the one's I've used this year have a smooth side and a slightly rougher side. However, I can state that I bought some white plastic labels earlier this year from either: Pound...
    Without going outside now and facing Brian, I cannot guarantee that the one's I've used this year have a smooth side and a slightly rougher side. However, I can state that I bought some white...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Newbienoidea

Gardening business...start up advice.

I like your thinking!
    I like your thinking!
    I like your thinking!
    I like your thinking!
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 3

Creating winter interest.

I referred to witch hazels earlier......wonderful scent from my Mollis Pallida. A scent that also carries on the air from fascinating spider flowers. Although an old variety I think it is the...
    I referred to witch hazels earlier......wonderful scent from my Mollis Pallida. A scent that also carries on the air from fascinating spider flowers. Although an old variety I think it is the best.....many hamamelis varieties lack scent but this is excellent :) Many winter flowering plants often...
    I referred to witch hazels earlier......wonderful scent from my Mollis Pallida. A scent that also carries on the air from fascinating spider flowers. Although an old variety I think it is the best.....many hamamelis varieties lack scent but...
    I referred to witch hazels earlier......wonderful scent from my Mollis Pallida. A scent that also carries on the air from fascinating spider flowers. Although an old variety I think it is the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. HarryS

Shrub Move , Sanity Check .

Really? Oh :comfort::pathd: There, now you are freed up to remember everything else today! :thumbsup: :heehee:
    Really? Oh :comfort::pathd: There, now you are freed up to remember everything else today! :thumbsup: :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. JWK

The gardeners of Kabul

"We dug for four or five hours and found water"? I thought that was a dry place, I could dig for about two weeks and never find water.:biggrin:
    "We dug for four or five hours and found water"? I thought that was a dry place, I could dig for about two weeks and never find water.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. HarryS

Penstemon Heavenly Blue - Flowering Period

Have to agree about lavendar.....I always suggest it where appropriate. Have a 40 to 50' curving edge of Grosso (impressive flowers) to my veg patch....trimmed back tightly it now looks good but...
    Have to agree about lavendar.....I always suggest it where appropriate. Have a 40 to 50' curving edge of Grosso (impressive flowers) to my veg patch....trimmed back tightly it now looks good but in summer it erupts into a frenzy of blue and wonderful scent. I intend to plant a row in a new build...
    Have to agree about lavendar.....I always suggest it where appropriate. Have a 40 to 50' curving edge of Grosso (impressive flowers) to my veg patch....trimmed back tightly it now looks good but in summer it erupts into a frenzy of blue and...
    Have to agree about lavendar.....I always suggest it where appropriate. Have a 40 to 50' curving edge of Grosso (impressive flowers) to my veg patch....trimmed back tightly it now looks good but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Snorky85

Rhodos flowers

In the voice of Mr Burns... "Excellent!"
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Pete8

Butternut Squash ready?

Sounds delish JJ, thanks! - will be having a go at that
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Pete8

Bagged composted mushroom compost in Essex?

Cheers shiney!
    Cheers shiney!
    Cheers shiney!
    Cheers shiney!
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Cinnamon

Rose flowers changing colour

Sounds as though it could be " Masquerade " , but as far as i know this happens all the time . @wiseowl should be able to help.
    Sounds as though it could be " Masquerade " , but as far as i know this happens all the time . @wiseowl should be able to help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. ennnceee

Osteospermum pruning?

Many thanks, all.
    Many thanks, all.
    Many thanks, all.
    Many thanks, all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Tetters
    Like x 4

Falling leaves.....

my leaves will laugh at vacuumes. I have tarps, that are about 10foot by 10foot. heaping them high with leaves, then pull the ropes to encircle the bundle some, and drag to the woods. then...
    my leaves will laugh at vacuumes. I have tarps, that are about 10foot by 10foot. heaping them high with leaves, then pull the ropes to encircle the bundle some, and drag to the woods. then turn that over on to a heap in the woods, continue, same process. at times I am walking out of...
    my leaves will laugh at vacuumes. I have tarps, that are about 10foot by 10foot. heaping them high with leaves, then pull the ropes to encircle the bundle some, and drag to the woods. then turn that over on to a heap in the woods, ...
    my leaves will laugh at vacuumes. I have tarps, that are about 10foot by 10foot. heaping them high with leaves, then pull the ropes to encircle the bundle some, and drag to the woods. then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Notty1975

Wood chips

If you are unsure then dont use it notty :) I dont think it will be a problem but I tend to agree with Marley Farley that it is better used outside....as I have done successfully :) I also found no...
    If you are unsure then dont use it notty :) I dont think it will be a problem but I tend to agree with Marley Farley that it is better used outside....as I have done successfully :) I also found no problems when mulching shrubs, perennials etc......anything untoward would have shown up in the...
    If you are unsure then dont use it notty :) I dont think it will be a problem but I tend to agree with Marley Farley that it is better used outside....as I have done successfully :) I also found no problems when mulching shrubs, perennials...
    If you are unsure then dont use it notty :) I dont think it will be a problem but I tend to agree with Marley Farley that it is better used outside....as I have done successfully :) I also found no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Tetters

Patrinia scabiosifolia ....

@Tetters :) :wub2: :wub2:
    Bee on Puter.jpg PS-yellow-flowers.jpg 200.gif
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. wiseowl

Sweet Williams

@KFF :snorky:
    BEE youre-welcome-beeutifulfriend.jpg BEE_Waggle.jpeg3.jpeg BEEHAVE YOURSELF_ bee-holding-sign.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. trogre

Overwintering Young Standard Fuchsia

Only a bit of a Fuchsia grower myself but they are plants, and most plants do things in very similar ways. Fuschias like a lot of plants want to be bushes, so training is the key. Yes the top...
    Only a bit of a Fuchsia grower myself but they are plants, and most plants do things in very similar ways. Fuschias like a lot of plants want to be bushes, so training is the key. Yes the top unripe wood may well die, but new shoots will come from lower down, you just select a strong growing...
    Only a bit of a Fuchsia grower myself but they are plants, and most plants do things in very similar ways. Fuschias like a lot of plants want to be bushes, so training is the key. Yes the top unripe wood may well die, but new shoots will come...
    Only a bit of a Fuchsia grower myself but they are plants, and most plants do things in very similar ways. Fuschias like a lot of plants want to be bushes, so training is the key. Yes the top...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Just a test post:snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Zigs
    Like x 12

What's looking good in September 2017

I've never grown them from seed but as the first pod has split I'm having a go. The seed is like dust so all that I've done is to scatter it on the surface of the pot that they grow in. I'm not...
    I've never grown them from seed but as the first pod has split I'm having a go. The seed is like dust so all that I've done is to scatter it on the surface of the pot that they grow in. I'm not holding my breath over these!
    I've never grown them from seed but as the first pod has split I'm having a go. The seed is like dust so all that I've done is to scatter it on the surface of the pot that they grow in. I'm not holding my breath over these!
    I've never grown them from seed but as the first pod has split I'm having a go. The seed is like dust so all that I've done is to scatter it on the surface of the pot that they grow in. I'm not...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options