1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

Things didn't quite work out as planned. :noidea: I did finish the mowing with one annoying hiccup. Almost three hours of mowing and then the tank in the mower ran dry - with 18sq ft to do :doh:. Filled the...
    Things didn't quite work out as planned. :noidea: I did finish the mowing with one annoying hiccup. Almost three hours of mowing and then the tank in the mower ran dry - with 18sq ft to do :doh:. Filled the tank up but the mower wouldn't start :mute:. So went out and did the last of the shopping for the...
    Things didn't quite work out as planned. :noidea: I did finish the mowing with one annoying hiccup. Almost three hours of mowing and then the tank in the mower ran dry - with 18sq ft to do :doh:. Filled the tank up but the mower wouldn't start :mute:. So went...
    Things didn't quite work out as planned. :noidea: I did finish the mowing with one annoying hiccup. Almost three hours of mowing and then the tank in the mower ran dry - with 18sq ft to do :doh:. Filled the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

I agree with @Verdun . The calyx looks quite dark, could it be S.microphylla "Royal Bumble"?
    I agree with @Verdun . The calyx looks quite dark, could it be S.microphylla "Royal Bumble"?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wiseowl
    Like x 7

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN MAY 2017

Haha! I'm moaning already.. Sweat came down my face like big rain drops.. only after 10 minutes in the sun.. Have you been on holiday. Love Devon and Cornwall. Every time we go there, we count the...
    Haha! I'm moaning already.. Sweat came down my face like big rain drops.. only after 10 minutes in the sun.. Have you been on holiday. Love Devon and Cornwall. Every time we go there, we count the number of vehicles stuck in the jam.. Without fail. Every time I came home, I swore I wouldn't go...
    Haha! I'm moaning already.. Sweat came down my face like big rain drops.. only after 10 minutes in the sun.. Have you been on holiday. Love Devon and Cornwall. Every time we go there, we count the number of vehicles stuck in the jam.. Without...
    Haha! I'm moaning already.. Sweat came down my face like big rain drops.. only after 10 minutes in the sun.. Have you been on holiday. Love Devon and Cornwall. Every time we go there, we count the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

Hi All,Lady Boothby vs Pink FizzI purchased a Lady Boothby 'climber' the other year and its grown well to 6ft tall and cuttings similarly romp away, producing 2 to 3ft of quick growth from...
    Hi All,Lady Boothby vs Pink FizzI purchased a Lady Boothby 'climber' the other year and its grown well to 6ft tall and cuttings similarly romp away, producing 2 to 3ft of quick growth from cuttings in the greenhouse this spring.Was tempted to buy 3 Pink Fizz well rooted cuttings last...
    Hi All,Lady Boothby vs Pink FizzI purchased a Lady Boothby 'climber' the other year and its grown well to 6ft tall and cuttings similarly romp away, producing 2 to 3ft of quick growth from cuttings in the greenhouse this spring.Was...
    Hi All,Lady Boothby vs Pink FizzI purchased a Lady Boothby 'climber' the other year and its grown well to 6ft tall and cuttings similarly romp away, producing 2 to 3ft of quick growth from...
    upload_2017-1-9_20-6-44.jpeg WP_20170326_15_24_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170328_11_10_33_Pro.jpg HB.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Envious heucherella :sad: Cant grow the blue poppy down here. Can grow most things but not that beauty !
    Envious heucherella :sad: Cant grow the blue poppy down here. Can grow most things but not that beauty !
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Thanks Sheal and redstar.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Good afternoon @HarryS your a diamond my friend ,thank you:thanks:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would like some please let me know. I am happy to give some...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5435.JPG 823-procyon_1.jpg kenora-sunset.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. roders

What a farce Chelsea Flower show is!

Despite doing stands at Chelsea many, many years ago I just cannot watch it. I have an aversion to 'TV gardeners'. Standing in the main marquee for 6 or 7 hours in the heat with thousands of...
    Despite doing stands at Chelsea many, many years ago I just cannot watch it. I have an aversion to 'TV gardeners'. Standing in the main marquee for 6 or 7 hours in the heat with thousands of visitors walking through kicking up dust by the end of the day I couldn't hardly speak I had swallowed so...
    Despite doing stands at Chelsea many, many years ago I just cannot watch it. I have an aversion to 'TV gardeners'. Standing in the main marquee for 6 or 7 hours in the heat with thousands of visitors walking through kicking up dust by the end of...
    Despite doing stands at Chelsea many, many years ago I just cannot watch it. I have an aversion to 'TV gardeners'. Standing in the main marquee for 6 or 7 hours in the heat with thousands of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Fathead

Neighbour Issues

@Fathead I think that is a very poor situation for you to be in.. :mad:If me I would contact planning and ask them to come to you for an "on site" meeting as you want to know if this a breach of...
    @Fathead I think that is a very poor situation for you to be in.. :mad:If me I would contact planning and ask them to come to you for an "on site" meeting as you want to know if this a breach of planning, and privacy laws.. As they need to see it.. Stay very calm on the phone to the council and...
    @Fathead I think that is a very poor situation for you to be in.. :mad:If me I would contact planning and ask them to come to you for an "on site" meeting as you want to know if this a breach of planning, and privacy laws.. As they need to see...
    @Fathead I think that is a very poor situation for you to be in.. :mad:If me I would contact planning and ask them to come to you for an "on site" meeting as you want to know if this a breach of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Yan

Winter shade, summer sun plants

Sounds good Yan :) Yes, most plants will be fine there but I would not plant azaleas or rhododendrons then...they need acid soil. Camelias will do well there....some think they need acid soil but...
    Sounds good Yan :) Yes, most plants will be fine there but I would not plant azaleas or rhododendrons then...they need acid soil. Camelias will do well there....some think they need acid soil but they are very tolerant :yay: I enjoy your planting Yan
    Sounds good Yan :) Yes, most plants will be fine there but I would not plant azaleas or rhododendrons then...they need acid soil. Camelias will do well there....some think they need acid soil but they are very tolerant :yay: I enjoy your planting Yan
    Sounds good Yan :) Yes, most plants will be fine there but I would not plant azaleas or rhododendrons then...they need acid soil. Camelias will do well there....some think they need acid soil but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. HarryS
    Like x 7

Asda Tropical !

Dont think you can beat Trachy or Chamaerops, personally. Both fan palms I know but look very different after a few years.Would be nice to find a reliably hardy feather type palm, but `I...
    Dont think you can beat Trachy or Chamaerops, personally. Both fan palms I know but look very different after a few years.Would be nice to find a reliably hardy feather type palm, but `I don't think there is one, I've got a reasonable Butia capitata that has survived 5 yrs or more, but I'm...
    Dont think you can beat Trachy or Chamaerops, personally. Both fan palms I know but look very different after a few years.Would be nice to find a reliably hardy feather type palm, but `I don't think there is one, I've got a reasonable Butia...
    Dont think you can beat Trachy or Chamaerops, personally. Both fan palms I know but look very different after a few years.Would be nice to find a reliably hardy feather type palm, but `I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Marley Farley

Uvularia

@Palustris I had a feeling the molluscs would like it... It just has that look about it... Thanks [email protected] New to me too but looked so magnificent..
    @Palustris I had a feeling the molluscs would like it... It just has that look about it... Thanks [email protected] New to me too but looked so magnificent..
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. fat controller

Bogey plants.....

I first saw them in a Dell at Hidcote gardens and fell in love with them. But after trying over the years and failing to grow them I gave up........until this years. I bought 15 as I reckoned I...
    I first saw them in a Dell at Hidcote gardens and fell in love with them. But after trying over the years and failing to grow them I gave up........until this years. I bought 15 as I reckoned I would have some failures and wanted to improve my chances of at least growing one!!:dunno::heehee:
    I first saw them in a Dell at Hidcote gardens and fell in love with them. But after trying over the years and failing to grow them I gave up........until this years. I bought 15 as I reckoned I would have some failures and wanted to improve my...
    I first saw them in a Dell at Hidcote gardens and fell in love with them. But after trying over the years and failing to grow them I gave up........until this years. I bought 15 as I reckoned I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Janbristol

What is this growing on this stem?

I've got a feeling you might have something like a variegated willow there?Anyway, not really sure what you mean by, "what is this growing on the stem"??The large knot in the stem is the graft...
    I've got a feeling you might have something like a variegated willow there?Anyway, not really sure what you mean by, "what is this growing on the stem"??The large knot in the stem is the graft and the green leaved parts are coming from the rootstock and should be removed as close to the stem...
    I've got a feeling you might have something like a variegated willow there?Anyway, not really sure what you mean by, "what is this growing on the stem"??The large knot in the stem is the graft and the green leaved parts are coming from the...
    I've got a feeling you might have something like a variegated willow there?Anyway, not really sure what you mean by, "what is this growing on the stem"??The large knot in the stem is the graft...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

It would seem that DA and I agree on waiting for the roses to mature Mr Grinch. I think that feeding them in March/April and then again in June is to close together, I've always fed mine in March...
    It would seem that DA and I agree on waiting for the roses to mature Mr Grinch. I think that feeding them in March/April and then again in June is to close together, I've always fed mine in March as they start to leaf up and then mid July giving more space between feeds. I wouldn't feed any...
    It would seem that DA and I agree on waiting for the roses to mature Mr Grinch. I think that feeding them in March/April and then again in June is to close together, I've always fed mine in March as they start to leaf up and then mid July giving...
    It would seem that DA and I agree on waiting for the roses to mature Mr Grinch. I think that feeding them in March/April and then again in June is to close together, I've always fed mine in March...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. fat controller

Quick planter question - how deep?

Two deep looks good to me - I would have to make mine longer and thinner though, or I would belt it with the car door getting out of the car
    Two deep looks good to me - I would have to make mine longer and thinner though, or I would belt it with the car door getting out of the car
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Gwen austin

id please

I cut this one back to the ground 3 years ago :)
    image.jpeg image.jpeg DSCI0001 (4).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Gwen austin

Id please

Never disappointed many thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Yan

Identifying a couple of shrubs

Yes! We believe you!!! :whistle: :Wino: :nonofinger: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Yes! We believe you!!! :whistle: :Wino: :nonofinger: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. wiseowl

Fence Idea

I would be tempted to plant a honeysuckle (or three!!) along there. Lots of different varieties, varying flowering times, etc. The foliage is similar to bindweed (which can sometimes be v...
    I would be tempted to plant a honeysuckle (or three!!) along there. Lots of different varieties, varying flowering times, etc. The foliage is similar to bindweed (which can sometimes be v frustrating). But if you are happy to tolerate it, they could intertwine, you would have big showy white...
    I would be tempted to plant a honeysuckle (or three!!) along there. Lots of different varieties, varying flowering times, etc. The foliage is similar to bindweed (which can sometimes be v frustrating). But if you are happy to tolerate it, they...
    I would be tempted to plant a honeysuckle (or three!!) along there. Lots of different varieties, varying flowering times, etc. The foliage is similar to bindweed (which can sometimes be v...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. blacktulip

Advise needed for my ponds...

Whatever else you do, please don`t subject fish to these ponds until you`re sure they are sound - stick to plants. This is what I did with my small pool of water.
    Whatever else you do, please don`t subject fish to these ponds until you`re sure they are sound - stick to plants. This is what I did with my small pool of water.
    DSC00008.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. stephenprudence

Question regarding aconitine (that deadly toxin)

I read that the roots are 10 times more poisonous than the aerial part of the plant.
    I read that the roots are 10 times more poisonous than the aerial part of the plant.
    upload_2017-5-18_9-14-22.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. blacktulip
    Like x 3

Is this something I should concern about?

I tend to think cats are their main enemy, see quite a few chewed dead ones each year.
    I tend to think cats are their main enemy, see quite a few chewed dead ones each year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Scudo

Interesting gardening video

And if you want to plan your vegetable garden on the cheap: catbernardi : I will plan your vegetable garden for $5 on www.fiverr.com
    And if you want to plan your vegetable garden on the cheap: catbernardi : I will plan your vegetable garden for $5 on www.fiverr.com
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. pamsdish
    Informative x 5

Epsom Salt

Wouldn`t like the use of ammonia either.
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. silu

Very sad that a fantastic Supplier of Rhododendrons and Azaleas etc is all but packing it in.

Interesting post, It does say they are continuing their business, just not doing mail order anymore so hopefully not all is lost and the scarcer plants will continue to be grown. You make the...
    Interesting post, It does say they are continuing their business, just not doing mail order anymore so hopefully not all is lost and the scarcer plants will continue to be grown. You make the very good point that the supermarkets undercut real growers making it hard for them to continue which...
    Interesting post, It does say they are continuing their business, just not doing mail order anymore so hopefully not all is lost and the scarcer plants will continue to be grown. You make the very good point that the supermarkets undercut real...
    Interesting post, It does say they are continuing their business, just not doing mail order anymore so hopefully not all is lost and the scarcer plants will continue to be grown. You make the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Steve R

Root trainer help.

Great things to plant in, but the roots will wind round and round and up their own yin yang so when planted out they do not root into the soil as readily.Compare that to the middle photo above...
    Great things to plant in, but the roots will wind round and round and up their own yin yang so when planted out they do not root into the soil as readily.Compare that to the middle photo above where the roots are trained down instead, these plants are ready to grow away as soon as they are...
    Great things to plant in, but the roots will wind round and round and up their own yin yang so when planted out they do not root into the soil as readily.Compare that to the middle photo above where the roots are trained down instead, these...
    Great things to plant in, but the roots will wind round and round and up their own yin yang so when planted out they do not root into the soil as readily.Compare that to the middle photo above...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options