1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 8

What's looking good in July 2017

Hiya zenj, it is Fat Domino....yes the red one. It is a vigorous grower but not invasive so give it some space......a metre in its first year. I will divide it every 3 years to keep compact and...
    Hiya zenj, it is Fat Domino....yes the red one. It is a vigorous grower but not invasive so give it some space......a metre in its first year. I will divide it every 3 years to keep compact and have more plants. I also grow others like Orangefield and Blackfield with slightly slimmer flowers. :)
    Hiya zenj, it is Fat Domino....yes the red one. It is a vigorous grower but not invasive so give it some space......a metre in its first year. I will divide it every 3 years to keep compact and have more plants. I also grow others like...
    Hiya zenj, it is Fat Domino....yes the red one. It is a vigorous grower but not invasive so give it some space......a metre in its first year. I will divide it every 3 years to keep compact and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

No, but the name gives it away :sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

...had blimmin Gardeners World on the phone again today!!! Eeeek!! Find out soon for certain if they are coming! Eeeeeek!!! Stress levels are rising!!!Hi Snorky, can I get your...
    ...had blimmin Gardeners World on the phone again today!!! Eeeek!! Find out soon for certain if they are coming! Eeeeeek!!! Stress levels are rising!!!Hi Snorky, can I get your autograph now please before the rush, and don't forget if they offer you a job on the program, insist...
    ...had blimmin Gardeners World on the phone again today!!! Eeeek!! Find out soon for certain if they are coming! Eeeeeek!!! Stress levels are rising!!!Hi Snorky, can I get your autograph now please before the rush, and don't...
    ...had blimmin Gardeners World on the phone again today!!! Eeeek!! Find out soon for certain if they are coming! Eeeeeek!!! Stress levels are rising!!!Hi Snorky, can I get your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

F. ProcumbensF. Procumbens " Wirral "Pink FizzLady BoothbySouthgateLa CampanellaAutumnaleSwingtimeMadame CornelissonHollys Beauty
    F. ProcumbensF. Procumbens " Wirral "Pink FizzLady BoothbySouthgateLa CampanellaAutumnaleSwingtimeMadame CornelissonHollys Beauty
    upload_2017-1-9_20-6-44.jpeg WP_20170326_15_24_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_15_25_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170328_11_10_33_Pro.jpg HB.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

Where Alp gone ? :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

I've just noticed this thread and comments and so I've made this thread into a Sticky Thread so it will be easier to find in a permanent position.:coffee::snorky:
    I've just noticed this thread and comments and so I've made this thread into a Sticky Thread so it will be easier to find in a permanent position.:coffee::snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

Sorry to hear that about your photos, can't you take them on a phone and upload them direct, that's what I do.L. Canadense is lovely, I was thinking of getting some of those next year, to go...
    Sorry to hear that about your photos, can't you take them on a phone and upload them direct, that's what I do.L. Canadense is lovely, I was thinking of getting some of those next year, to go with my collection .
    Sorry to hear that about your photos, can't you take them on a phone and upload them direct, that's what I do.L. Canadense is lovely, I was thinking of getting some of those next year, to go with my collection .
    Sorry to hear that about your photos, can't you take them on a phone and upload them direct, that's what I do.L. Canadense is lovely, I was thinking of getting some of those next year, to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Thank you, @zenj I will have a look and see if I can get myself on the addicts'/suckers' list!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go through.
    Sorry for the late reply :doh: Not having grown them I suspect that it very much depends on the species. Here's the page for Ixia on the Pacific Bulb Society website. There are four pages for you to go...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Zigs
    Like x 11

Show us your Shineyland plants 2017

Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    Willow's garden
    DSCI0001 (3).JPG DSCI0003 (3).JPG DSC09451.JPG WP_20170529_09_46_28_Rich.jpg DSCI0001 (6).JPG Ferrula Communis Giant Fennel Seed Sowing instructions.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

Absolutely fantastic Sweet-pea!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Just a minor slip I suppose, but (to be strictly correct) the name of the aforementioned orange SP is in fact 'Geoff Hughes'....rather than 'Geoffrey Hughes'.I'll get me coat! :mad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Zigs
    Like x 3

Show us your recent purchases 2017

I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for cheap plants that you might not find elsewhere locally. On Saturday it was the turn of the village...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for cheap plants that you might not find elsewhere...
    I don't often buy plants but village/charity plant sales are too good an opportunity to pass up, both in terms of freeing up space by getting shot of surpluss seedlings and divisions and also for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22.   » Normal Threads
  23. TheMadHedger

Buddleia bushes near house - root spread?

I dont think for one moment a buddleia will lift any foundations, etc. But the point is not to plant any potentially large shrub or tree near a building. Perennials are fine as are small...
    I dont think for one moment a buddleia will lift any foundations, etc. But the point is not to plant any potentially large shrub or tree near a building. Perennials are fine as are small shrubs. Besides, shrubs and trees grow far better given their due space :)
    I dont think for one moment a buddleia will lift any foundations, etc. But the point is not to plant any potentially large shrub or tree near a building. Perennials are fine as are small shrubs. Besides, shrubs and trees grow far better given...
    I dont think for one moment a buddleia will lift any foundations, etc. But the point is not to plant any potentially large shrub or tree near a building. Perennials are fine as are small...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ennnceee

What are these orange flowers?

Managed to upload pics; don't know how useful they are, taken through car window! The one on the right, perhaps? Thanks for all suggestions so far.
    Managed to upload pics; don't know how useful they are, taken through car window! The one on the right, perhaps? Thanks for all suggestions so far.
    thumbnail_P5270022.jpg thumbnail_P5270023.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Heucherella

Heucherella's garden in July

Ah, those ones were too large. I have now added 2 and 6 in. The last one was just a repeat.
    Ah, those ones were too large. I have now added 2 and 6 in. The last one was just a repeat.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Steve R

Can you identify this plant?

Many thanks.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. CarolineL

Advice for fascicularia please

I wondered if you were giving it too much love as the one at OBG blooms year in year out and that is planted out.@pete don't do little flowers :heehee:That's a new one on me! I might try that with...
    I wondered if you were giving it too much love as the one at OBG blooms year in year out and that is planted out.@pete don't do little flowers :heehee:That's a new one on me! I might try that with Salvia lasiantha.
    I wondered if you were giving it too much love as the one at OBG blooms year in year out and that is planted out.@pete don't do little flowers :heehee:That's a new one on me! I might try that with Salvia lasiantha.
    I wondered if you were giving it too much love as the one at OBG blooms year in year out and that is planted out.@pete don't do little flowers :heehee:That's a new one on me! I might try that with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. bexy13

Repotting Fruiting Gherkins?

You might be better off puttin the whole pot into a bigger pot and let the roots find their way thru the holes rather than risk disturbing them at this stage.Just done similar with one of my...
    You might be better off puttin the whole pot into a bigger pot and let the roots find their way thru the holes rather than risk disturbing them at this stage.Just done similar with one of my tomatoes :)
    You might be better off puttin the whole pot into a bigger pot and let the roots find their way thru the holes rather than risk disturbing them at this stage.Just done similar with one of my tomatoes :)
    You might be better off puttin the whole pot into a bigger pot and let the roots find their way thru the holes rather than risk disturbing them at this stage.Just done similar with one of my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Tinker86

Old Seeds

Absolutely! If I were to strike gold and get a small little batch going, then it'd only be fitting to put together a separate bed and name it 'Richards Patch'Thank you mate! Worth a go ay!!!
    Absolutely! If I were to strike gold and get a small little batch going, then it'd only be fitting to put together a separate bed and name it 'Richards Patch'Thank you mate! Worth a go ay!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. TheMadHedger

Petunia plant with different coloured flowers

Noted, thanks! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. HarryS

Verbena bonariensis , what is it ?

Hello @CarolineL , thanks for the advice - but too recognise seedlings is not a skill I have mastered. Seedlings all look the sodding same to me :snorky:
    Hello @CarolineL , thanks for the advice - but too recognise seedlings is not a skill I have mastered. Seedlings all look the sodding same to me :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. greenfingerskev

Cleaning gardening tools

I really like the smell. Reminds me of school toilets:lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    I really like the smell. Reminds me of school toilets:lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. TheMadHedger

Resurrecting severely slug damaged Petunias

And all thanks to you! :Wino:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. silu

What best to do with limited amount of topsoil.

Never even heard of a power harrow! I doubt he'll have anything smart as his tractor looks ancient and he gets other farmers to do most of his ploughing/ harvesting. He is much more a sheep...
    Never even heard of a power harrow! I doubt he'll have anything smart as his tractor looks ancient and he gets other farmers to do most of his ploughing/ harvesting. He is much more a sheep farmer. However, there is another farmer down the road who has all the latest machinery, bet he's got a...
    Never even heard of a power harrow! I doubt he'll have anything smart as his tractor looks ancient and he gets other farmers to do most of his ploughing/ harvesting. He is much more a sheep farmer. However, there is another farmer down the road...
    Never even heard of a power harrow! I doubt he'll have anything smart as his tractor looks ancient and he gets other farmers to do most of his ploughing/ harvesting. He is much more a sheep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. shiney
    Like x 4

I've Got A Big One! How About You?

Isn't it? :scratch: ;) :whistle: :loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. wiseowl

Crocosmia Dilemma

Beach at 6am! LovelyI remember once going for a walk along a deserted beach on Tiree at 6am. A sea otter kept me company, swimming in line with me the entire length of the beach (long). It was...
    Beach at 6am! LovelyI remember once going for a walk along a deserted beach on Tiree at 6am. A sea otter kept me company, swimming in line with me the entire length of the beach (long). It was a magical experience.
    Beach at 6am! LovelyI remember once going for a walk along a deserted beach on Tiree at 6am. A sea otter kept me company, swimming in line with me the entire length of the beach (long). It was a magical experience.
    Beach at 6am! LovelyI remember once going for a walk along a deserted beach on Tiree at 6am. A sea otter kept me company, swimming in line with me the entire length of the beach (long). It was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Irmemac

A Hole to Fill

no, not a mole - Mickey Mouse with no ears :heehee::roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. TheMadHedger

Deadheading Snapdragons

You're welcome. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Sian in Belgium

Why won't my Jasmine flower?

Not too generous with the tomato feed Sian......twice a week though. Did you say "freshly baked cookie"? .......:hapydancsmil:
    Not too generous with the tomato feed Sian......twice a week though. Did you say "freshly baked cookie"? .......:hapydancsmil:
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Zigs
    Like x 12

What's looking good in June 2017

Sharp eyes, and a sharp mind, KFF. No, not a bad day, just multi-functioning at a great place.:doh:
    Sharp eyes, and a sharp mind, KFF. No, not a bad day, just multi-functioning at a great place.:doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. alp

Micropropation?

Folks, I'm sorry that I don't seem to have any notifications.. Perhaps, dementia is at work. Or I haven't clicked something.Bumped into this word and felt strangely familiar! Ah ha! It's a...
    Folks, I'm sorry that I don't seem to have any notifications.. Perhaps, dementia is at work. Or I haven't clicked something.Bumped into this word and felt strangely familiar! Ah ha! It's a thread started by me! :wallbanging:Thank you for all the explanations .. I remember seeing a boy growing orchids...
    Folks, I'm sorry that I don't seem to have any notifications.. Perhaps, dementia is at work. Or I haven't clicked something.Bumped into this word and felt strangely familiar! Ah ha! It's a thread started by me! :wallbanging:Thank you for all the...
    Folks, I'm sorry that I don't seem to have any notifications.. Perhaps, dementia is at work. Or I haven't clicked something.Bumped into this word and felt strangely familiar! Ah ha! It's a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. ARMANDII
    Like x 12

AN JULY AMBLE IN ARMANDII'S RETREAT

Thanks, Snorky, as some members know there is a story behind the making of the garden.:snorky:Thanks. roders, it's much appreciated.:love30::snorky:
    Thanks, Snorky, as some members know there is a story behind the making of the garden.:snorky:Thanks. roders, it's much appreciated.:love30::snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options