1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017

I believe they are, Shiney, but, of course, I won't know until they flower. I've always liked the variety in your garden but if there were any for sale on the day they must have gone in a...
    I believe they are, Shiney, but, of course, I won't know until they flower. I've always liked the variety in your garden but if there were any for sale on the day they must have gone in a flash:dunno::heehee:. I'm buying 10 bulbs, if you want I can pot up 5 of them and bring them to you in May and then...
    I believe they are, Shiney, but, of course, I won't know until they flower. I've always liked the variety in your garden but if there were any for sale on the day they must have gone in a flash:dunno::heehee:. I'm buying 10 bulbs, if you want I can pot up...
    I believe they are, Shiney, but, of course, I won't know until they flower. I've always liked the variety in your garden but if there were any for sale on the day they must have gone in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Zigs

Show us your recent purchases 2017

Last seeds.. I swear it! Free radish and plant labels, whoo hoo! Do love freebies :)
    Last seeds.. I swear it! Free radish and plant labels, whoo hoo! Do love freebies :)
    20170211_121715.jpg upload_2017-2-11_15-35-10.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-41-56.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-43-9.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-45-49.jpeg upload_2017-2-11_15-47-43.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS - 2017

My Fuchsias are in a perspex shelter, covered with fleece, and when I checked them earlier I found they are all sprouting lovely green shoots
    My Fuchsias are in a perspex shelter, covered with fleece, and when I checked them earlier I found they are all sprouting lovely green shoots
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

The SP growing method is from Sarah Ravens site . I am more a monkey see monkey do type of gardenr.
    The SP growing method is from Sarah Ravens site . I am more a monkey see monkey do type of gardenr.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

SUPER SALVIAS -2017

I'm hoping that some of my salvias will do better in their second year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS -2017

If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these and...........joy. Geranium...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these and...........joy. Geranium...
    If you do lots of baskets and pots as I do ,a great way to bulk them up is to buy these. I get them on the early delivery option so I can get them off to a flying start. Cram a basket with these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

IT'S DAY LILY TIME AGAIN - 2017

That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    That'll be the ones I'm seeing then. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [IRIS] FAMILY - 2017

The new thread for 2017:snorky:
    upload_2017-1-9_20-18-41.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would like some please let me know. I am happy to give some...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25 years and now have far too many. If anybody would...
    I have just finished lifting my Dahlias and oh boy the corms have they been busy expanding. I already have a "hedge" of them and am now inundated. I have been growing these Dahlias for over 25...
    IMG_5438.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5435.JPG 823-procyon_1.jpg kenora-sunset.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. pamsdish

SEED SWAP 2016

The list is now open here is a link,
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. HarryS
    Like x 16

Know Your Weeds

I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using vinegar as a weed killer.
    I sow wild flower seeds, so I don't have any weeds, just some grow in the wrong places, so they get pulled up. I never spray as this could harm the good stuff, though I've never tried using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mr Grinch
    Like x 7

Mr Grinch's Garden

wow pair of goldfinches in my garden. First time ive seen them in this garden.G
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good topsoil, because the guys who put my fence up...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the ground. There's at least 2 feet in depth of good...
    The house I'm in was built in the 1930s. I've never came across any builder's rubble while digging in the back garden so either it's buried very deeply or my grandparents did a lot to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PeterS
    Like x 7

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19.   » Normal Threads
  20. DoubleMM

MOSS!

FloraPie - I shall never look at it in the same way again:)And yes - Redstar - in places it does look lovely:)
    FloraPie - I shall never look at it in the same way again:)And yes - Redstar - in places it does look lovely:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. roders

Honey Fungus.

I fear that the disease is spread through, even if you can't see it. Will unfortunately probably come back again?
    I fear that the disease is spread through, even if you can't see it. Will unfortunately probably come back again?
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sirius
    Like x 7

RHS Spring Show

It is a combined spring/orchid show No problem. With phones these days it is very easy to take photos.
    It is a combined spring/orchid show No problem. With phones these days it is very easy to take photos.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. TheMadHedger

Sweet peas getting far too leggy

Good point there, thank you. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. JWK

Dahlias 2017

I bought a bag of mixed dahlias to try this year (from a cheap shop). On that label it says to plant between January and May :scratch:
    I bought a bag of mixed dahlias to try this year (from a cheap shop). On that label it says to plant between January and May :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. EddieJT

Filling in gaps in hedge.

I would have put something edible like Hazel in there, gives you loads of pea sticks too, though not evergreen of course.
    I would have put something edible like Hazel in there, gives you loads of pea sticks too, though not evergreen of course.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. FloraPie
    Informative x 3

Plants 2020

There's a global strategy for plant conservation, apparently. Gosh what would we do without our Botanical Gardens and the people who care for them :love30:The World Flora Online Project
    There's a global strategy for plant conservation, apparently. Gosh what would we do without our Botanical Gardens and the people who care for them :love30:The World Flora Online Project
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. HarryS

Fertiliser Cost per Kg

I can't get my usual so i have bought some this year Growmore 7.7.7 for £18.99 for 25kg
    I can't get my usual so i have bought some this year Growmore 7.7.7 for £18.99 for 25kg
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. donny1972

New to gardening and looking for some advice.

Hi there iam located in Doncaster.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. CanadianLori
    Like x 4

Indoor Growing Winter 2016

Looking good Lori :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. kelmart

planting suggestions please

Greetings @kelmart ! Some plants that I know of that will grow very well in the shade are: Primroses, Foxgloves, Hellebores, and you can't go past Bleeding Hearts! I don't grow flowers myself...
    Greetings @kelmart ! Some plants that I know of that will grow very well in the shade are: Primroses, Foxgloves, Hellebores, and you can't go past Bleeding Hearts! I don't grow flowers myself except for one single Dahlia :heehee: but I do know that these flowers are very pretty and are perennials with...
    Greetings @kelmart ! Some plants that I know of that will grow very well in the shade are: Primroses, Foxgloves, Hellebores, and you can't go past Bleeding Hearts! I don't grow flowers myself except for one single Dahlia :heehee: but I do know that...
    Greetings @kelmart ! Some plants that I know of that will grow very well in the shade are: Primroses, Foxgloves, Hellebores, and you can't go past Bleeding Hearts! I don't grow flowers myself...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. HarryS

Safe to Grow Busy Lizzies 2017 ?

still a high risk you say @HarryS Ok been not using them all these years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. longk
    Like x 15

Beauties (and Freaks)

Lovely LongKThat Ipomoea philomega is nice. It looks perennial as is I. carnea. I wonder if either would compare with I indica, in a conservatory where they will survive the winter, - to give a...
    Lovely LongKThat Ipomoea philomega is nice. It looks perennial as is I. carnea. I wonder if either would compare with I indica, in a conservatory where they will survive the winter, - to give a different colour.
    Lovely LongKThat Ipomoea philomega is nice. It looks perennial as is I. carnea. I wonder if either would compare with I indica, in a conservatory where they will survive the winter, - to give a different colour.
    Lovely LongKThat Ipomoea philomega is nice. It looks perennial as is I. carnea. I wonder if either would compare with I indica, in a conservatory where they will survive the winter, - to give a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Redwing

RHS and University of Sheffield Survey about the Therapeutic Aspects of Gardening

Done, 8 minutes.
    Done, 8 minutes.
    Done, 8 minutes.
    Done, 8 minutes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. roders

I'm sure they are nice but I just can't fancy them

Can't stand the things myself, had to grow them for the parents as a child. Trick is to sow little and often and water. If they grow slowly they become woody. Pick when about 1/4 to 1/2 inches in...
    Can't stand the things myself, had to grow them for the parents as a child. Trick is to sow little and often and water. If they grow slowly they become woody. Pick when about 1/4 to 1/2 inches in diameter.
    Can't stand the things myself, had to grow them for the parents as a child. Trick is to sow little and often and water. If they grow slowly they become woody. Pick when about 1/4 to 1/2 inches in diameter.
    Can't stand the things myself, had to grow them for the parents as a child. Trick is to sow little and often and water. If they grow slowly they become woody. Pick when about 1/4 to 1/2 inches in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. NCFCcrazy

Guess the name of the beer! Dont panic, this is gardening related!

Can't be aimed at you! It's on a beer mat and you don't drink beer. :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Snorky85

Help! :( don't know where to start with this mess!

It's good ground cover and spreads fairly easily but don't let it get too rampant as it's difficult to dig up (not deep roots, but tough). It looks good for quite a long period. Just green,...
    It's good ground cover and spreads fairly easily but don't let it get too rampant as it's difficult to dig up (not deep roots, but tough). It looks good for quite a long period. Just green, pretty shaped, leaves which look great if there's been any rain as the rain collects on them in small...
    It's good ground cover and spreads fairly easily but don't let it get too rampant as it's difficult to dig up (not deep roots, but tough). It looks good for quite a long period. Just green, pretty shaped, leaves which look great if there's been...
    It's good ground cover and spreads fairly easily but don't let it get too rampant as it's difficult to dig up (not deep roots, but tough). It looks good for quite a long period. Just green,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Paul Blackburn

Do Fuchsia keep on growing

I pulled 2 in for over wintering as I know those types are not hardy, cut them back and one tried flowering on me with no leaves..no idea what happened there. Anyways, I've pulled them all off and...
    I pulled 2 in for over wintering as I know those types are not hardy, cut them back and one tried flowering on me with no leaves..no idea what happened there. Anyways, I've pulled them all off and cut them back to bare bones and have got green buds again. So depending on varieties and how you...
    I pulled 2 in for over wintering as I know those types are not hardy, cut them back and one tried flowering on me with no leaves..no idea what happened there. Anyways, I've pulled them all off and cut them back to bare bones and have got green...
    I pulled 2 in for over wintering as I know those types are not hardy, cut them back and one tried flowering on me with no leaves..no idea what happened there. Anyways, I've pulled them all off and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Mowerman

Japenese Knotweed Spraying

@JeffNevSorry to hear of your JK woes and glad you called in someone to keep it under control. Not cheap though, some of these companies charge obscene amounts, especially if excavation is...
    @JeffNevSorry to hear of your JK woes and glad you called in someone to keep it under control. Not cheap though, some of these companies charge obscene amounts, especially if excavation is deemed their most appropriate solution, which many people advise against.Unless you're really lucky,...
    @JeffNevSorry to hear of your JK woes and glad you called in someone to keep it under control. Not cheap though, some of these companies charge obscene amounts, especially if excavation is deemed their most appropriate solution, which many...
    @JeffNevSorry to hear of your JK woes and glad you called in someone to keep it under control. Not cheap though, some of these companies charge obscene amounts, especially if excavation is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Sandy Ground

A rather different nursery.

On streetview the Bluebell Pub is directly opposite the nursery . Which is on the corner of Rectory Rd and Elm Avenue .
    On streetview the Bluebell Pub is directly opposite the nursery . Which is on the corner of Rectory Rd and Elm Avenue .
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options