1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the windowsills for the tomato seedlings which will soon need potting on. I also gave the roses in pots...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the windowsills for the tomato seedlings which will...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. TheMadHedger

What is the finest compost regarding texture?

I'd have a look at the Melcourt Sylvagrow range; again not cheap.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Mattyp

Advice on what to plant as a natural barrier

That one was a Phyllostachys @flounder, but it’s not really much of a problem in the enclosed space that I have it in. I’m interested to know that you have grown Fargesia successfully in such a...
    That one was a Phyllostachys @flounder, but it’s not really much of a problem in the enclosed space that I have it in. I’m interested to know that you have grown Fargesia successfully in such a narrow space so that might be a possibility. I’ve always found them slow growing and a bit fussy,...
    That one was a Phyllostachys @flounder, but it’s not really much of a problem in the enclosed space that I have it in. I’m interested to know that you have grown Fargesia successfully in such a narrow space so that might be a possibility. I’ve...
    That one was a Phyllostachys @flounder, but it’s not really much of a problem in the enclosed space that I have it in. I’m interested to know that you have grown Fargesia successfully in such a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Brian L

Need new mower. Cordless, SP but small. Ideas ??

Used the Stihl to cut the paths in the orchard this morning. First time for many weeks as far too wet for so long. Grass very lush but mower coped well. One battery used.
    Used the Stihl to cut the paths in the orchard this morning. First time for many weeks as far too wet for so long. Grass very lush but mower coped well. One battery used.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. welshone

Water butts in da shade

Organic material can make the water smelly. We had the same problem last year because our hazel had grown over the collection roof and was seeping sticky sap onto the roof. It really made the...
    Organic material can make the water smelly. We had the same problem last year because our hazel had grown over the collection roof and was seeping sticky sap onto the roof. It really made the water stink and it caused a milky colour to form. The butt is covered and has a sponge filter but it...
    Organic material can make the water smelly. We had the same problem last year because our hazel had grown over the collection roof and was seeping sticky sap onto the roof. It really made the water stink and it caused a milky colour to form. The...
    Organic material can make the water smelly. We had the same problem last year because our hazel had grown over the collection roof and was seeping sticky sap onto the roof. It really made the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Fat Controller

I am thinking....

I’d definitely clean the trunks so they are less messy. I’d then plant something or have a. Planter in front. For me, I think growing something up them, especially colourful, would just draw my...
    I’d definitely clean the trunks so they are less messy. I’d then plant something or have a. Planter in front. For me, I think growing something up them, especially colourful, would just draw my eye to them even more
    I’d definitely clean the trunks so they are less messy. I’d then plant something or have a. Planter in front. For me, I think growing something up them, especially colourful, would just draw my eye to them even more
    I’d definitely clean the trunks so they are less messy. I’d then plant something or have a. Planter in front. For me, I think growing something up them, especially colourful, would just draw my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. New Irish gardener

clay soil help!!

The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving the grass intact. The sharp sand will then also inhibit new moss growth, while also providing a...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving the grass intact. The sharp sand will then also...
    The rabbits will save you having to mow.They will also destroy anything you plant.As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. OwdPotter

Euphorbia

If you can find an area in your garden that is sloping rather than flat @OwdPotter, the improved drainage may suit your Euphorbias better. I recently moved one from the bottom of my bank where it...
    If you can find an area in your garden that is sloping rather than flat @OwdPotter, the improved drainage may suit your Euphorbias better. I recently moved one from the bottom of my bank where it was loosing leaves from the lower stems to a higher position and within a couple of months it looks...
    If you can find an area in your garden that is sloping rather than flat @OwdPotter, the improved drainage may suit your Euphorbias better. I recently moved one from the bottom of my bank where it was loosing leaves from the lower stems to a...
    If you can find an area in your garden that is sloping rather than flat @OwdPotter, the improved drainage may suit your Euphorbias better. I recently moved one from the bottom of my bank where it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. fumanchu

Now what?

<<<<<
    <<<<<
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

Dryopteris filix-mas.Dryopteris erythrosora.
    IMG_20240318_111155.jpg IMG_20240318_111206.jpg IMG_20240318_111215.jpg IMG_20240318_111221.jpg image.jpeg PXL_20240312_135907163.PORTRAIT.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. PhilC

Can you grow Sugar Cane from seeds?

You'll be lucky, you need daily temperatures of 25-30C.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Fat Controller

Gardening gloves....

Well, cats do have small paws :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. hailbopp

Trnasplanting Nerine Bowdenii when in leaf.

I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half above the soil level.
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Nickoslesteros

Planting a rugosa rose against a fence on west side of garden

This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. BenCotto
    Like x 7

Slug and Snail Grand National - place your bets

I am sticking with my bet on the beer. These are my placings ...1. Beer 2. Molasses 3. Yeast 4. Marmite:biggrin:
    I am sticking with my bet on the beer. These are my placings ...1. Beer 2. Molasses 3. Yeast 4. Marmite:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. TheMadHedger

Grass seed and ground frost

Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. poohpouri

when do i plant sweet corn?

Today sowed sweet corn. No didn't soak them but did see that the seeds did look very dry. Well give it a go as usual and hope that out of the 30 (actually 39) most will germinate.
    Today sowed sweet corn. No didn't soak them but did see that the seeds did look very dry. Well give it a go as usual and hope that out of the 30 (actually 39) most will germinate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Jenny_Aster

National Gardening Day!

I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. GreenFingeredFifer

Planter Liners

Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Plantminded

Verbena hastata - is it worth growing?

Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are...
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are @Plantminded, especially with your soil
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are @Plantminded, especially with your soil
    Mine has never self seeded, but V. bon doesn't readily seed here either. Perhaps that will change if we keep getting these horrible mild winters.It would probably be fine where you are...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice