1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 11

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN JANUARY 2019

Hi @longk it's called 'Christmas Cheer'. I suspect if I had kept it in the polytunnnel, it would have fulfilled its name! Seems to have produced a very vigorous plant.
    Hi @longk it's called 'Christmas Cheer'. I suspect if I had kept it in the polytunnnel, it would have fulfilled its name! Seems to have produced a very vigorous plant.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2019

Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants in gh are drying out so they were watered too. Tempted to cut down a couple of miscanthus Gold Bar...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants in gh are drying out so they were watered too. ...
    Got back to immediately cut back lawn that has not stopped growing. No need to cut front lawn as it was fiercely scarified a couple of weeks back and already it is greening up well. Many plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it is refreshing to see how he interprets the world
    Thanks for the tip about the programme just watching an episode on “All 4” it is interesting how he sees things like shapes and patterns in the landscape. He is also very open about Autism and it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ned

Short or Tall grasses? For what situations? Foliage ? Flowers?

Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex Comans they had them there but Verdun no more, as my...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look nice...thanks also for mentioning them :) The carex...
    Hi @Verdun I know it will be a touch taller but they look lovely and since getting back and looking them up on the net i'm glad we had them...the testacea my hubby clocked :dbgrtmb: so they should look...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

HANGING BASKETS, WINDOW BOXES AND BITS AND BOBS 2018

@Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really for such as yourself :)
    @Linz we have a Morrisons not far from we and only last week they was selling fuschias in white or red at a £1...my hubby wanted to get some, as they've always got good offers on...shame really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

THE IRIDACEAE [LILY] FAMILY 2018

@longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing well G carneus less so it didn't like the cold spring.
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus growing outside. G tristis and G huttonii are doing...
    @longk At the moment the new ones are in pots in the greenhouse; when they have bulked up I shall try some of them in a raised bed. I already have G tristis, a form of G huttonii and G carneus...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

New Thread HereShow Us Your Recent Purchases 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

SUPER SALVIAS 2018

Llorona Salmon and S. Ochrantha for me
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

FUCHSIAS 2018

Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them back and kept them in their baskets in a frost free greenhouse but not sure if its best to take...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them back and kept them in their baskets in a frost free...
    Hi All,No 2019 Fuchsia Thread yet so will have to post here.Wondered what opinion was regarding tender Fuchsias that have been in outdoors in hanging baskets in the summer.I have cut them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. "M"
    Like x 11

Gardening Aspirations For 2018

Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Did they have enough room for the common names? Some of them have a dozen or more! :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BeeHappy

GC MEMBERS -SEED COLLECTED SAVED IN 2017 FOR 2018 SOWING

You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued by the idea of cross pollination on...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine frutescens Canna species several Eucomis species (I'm intrigued...
    You've grown me into seeds :yikes: :heehee:Too much to list really, Highlights include;about 20 different species of Salvia 2 Lilium species Cleome Vestia foetida several Iris species Bulbine...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. KFF
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. alana
    Like x 4

Flower Arranging

Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours and I grow flowers in a cutting patch so I always...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with an eye to how they harmonise with their neighbours...
    Beautiful arrangements Mrs Shiney and congratulations on getting two firsts.I love what you've done with the flowers, seed heads and foliage from your garden. I buy plants for my garden with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

:goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely reading thru lots of fun and banter and of course...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots of late thread "LERT'S" from me :heehee: ...Its been lovely...
    :goodpost:Agree - ive only just read thru this thread all 29 pages :rolleyespink: so apologies to any of the GC members ...many of whom i had no idea of, BTW it's been nice meeting up with you :snorky:....who are getting lots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. bigbore

cannas

If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There is a fantastic thread on here Canna 2016
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi purpose compost and place in a windowsill. There...
    If the rhizomes are big get yourself some buckets from wickes or B&Q and pot them up in multi purpose compost and put them in the GH. If the rhizomes are smaller pot up into small pots with multi...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pamsdish
    Like x 4

Seed Swap

Thought I would give this a bump
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wiseowl

Sweet Peas

I couldn't help posting these photos I took last week! :heehee:
    20160616_104526[1].jpg 20160616_101733[1].jpg 20160616_101849[1].jpg gwendoline.jpg CIMG0015 (715x1024).jpg DSCN1537.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 25

Principles of seed sowing

Don't you have toilets where you live? Weirdo's :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

This is great thanks very much. Often wondered what the weeds in my garden were
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. PeterS
    Like x 8

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  25.   » Normal Threads
  26. SimonZ

Astrantia

Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy stems remaining can simply be knocked off with your hand. Yes, feeding is important but a thick mulch...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy stems remaining can simply be knocked off with your...
    Thanks for the mention lucius...fiver is in the post :) Hiya SimonZ :) Agree with Perki :) Your astrantia will die back naturally over winter to produce fresh new growth next year. Any dead twiggy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. CanadianLori
    Like x 5

Did you know about this?

There are only a few of the old families still doing it and it’s true @HarryS you really can hearvit growing.! Have a listen here... :heehee: Put your sound on....
    There are only a few of the old families still doing it and it’s true @HarryS you really can hearvit growing.! Have a listen here... :heehee: Put your sound on....
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Fat Controller

Sheds

I'd save your money and forget the rubber roof FC. Even if felt has to be changed somewhere down the line you should get ten years out of it.A different situation for comparison.... we had a...
    I'd save your money and forget the rubber roof FC. Even if felt has to be changed somewhere down the line you should get ten years out of it.A different situation for comparison.... we had a flat roof extension on our last house with a fibre glass roof which became porous over the course of...
    I'd save your money and forget the rubber roof FC. Even if felt has to be changed somewhere down the line you should get ten years out of it.A different situation for comparison.... we had a flat roof extension on our last house with a fibre...
    I'd save your money and forget the rubber roof FC. Even if felt has to be changed somewhere down the line you should get ten years out of it.A different situation for comparison.... we had a...
    06_10_0.JPEG P1060523.JPG P1060078.JPG 044.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. 2nd_bassoon

Sheltered shady corner with heavy soil

Pleasure 2nd bassoon.....you can make that a very attractive and perfumed spot I think :)
    Pleasure 2nd bassoon.....you can make that a very attractive and perfumed spot I think :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Selleri

The Bed Of Afterthoughts- what to plant this summer?

I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was finished so late that I just chucked in what I had so now it's time to do some better planning. Sorry...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was finished so late that I just chucked in what I had so...
    I'd appreciate your ideas on planting this border for the summer :)Last summer we dug a semi- circular border in the lawn to give the oddly shaped back garden some definition. The border was...
    bedofafterthoughts.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. NigelJ

Super Salvias 2019

Salvia Amethyst. 3 plants on order for May
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Spruce
    Like x 3

Delphinium gets its name from the Greek word “delphis,” which means dolphin.

they are well staked as well .. amazing colours ... well worth all the effortSpruce
    they are well staked as well .. amazing colours ... well worth all the effortSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Michael12345

Ideas Please!

Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you could alternate the pots about..I personally would look at all the different hardy geraniums for spring...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you could alternate the pots about..I personally would...
    Hi @Michael12345 Welcome to GC, why not cover the soil with weed suppressant fabric then put wood chips or gravel in there and plunge some pots in there so it is a small plunge bed, then you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. MJA

Should I "bury" a shrub or replant it?

Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for too long. Not good garden practise to simply pile up soil around plants....6" or so is quite a lot...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for too long. Not good garden practise to simply pile...
    Hiya MJA :)those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. longk
    Like x 6

The Growing From Seed Thread 2019

Mainly chillies so far, jalapeño and cayenne. Just today, I sowed some antirrri.. n...h snapdragons :snorky:and delphiniums. Must sow more jals though. I pickled them last year and they are almost gone!...
    Mainly chillies so far, jalapeño and cayenne. Just today, I sowed some antirrri.. n...h snapdragons :snorky:and delphiniums. Must sow more jals though. I pickled them last year and they are almost gone! Number 2 son is demolishing them :)Does anyone start cleome this early? I know the info says now but...
    Mainly chillies so far, jalapeño and cayenne. Just today, I sowed some antirrri.. n...h snapdragons :snorky:and delphiniums. Must sow more jals though. I pickled them last year and they are almost gone! Number 2 son is demolishing them :)Does anyone...
    Mainly chillies so far, jalapeño and cayenne. Just today, I sowed some antirrri.. n...h snapdragons :snorky:and delphiniums. Must sow more jals though. I pickled them last year and they are almost gone!...
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Upsydaisy

I'm trying to resist........

I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that I can leave the plants undisturbed for longer - and I won't destroy the pots when removing the...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that I can leave the plants undisturbed for longer -...
    I'm taking a slightly different approach this year - planting up late Feb/March - individual 7cm square pots - which will fit neatly into a gravel tray. The idea being that larger pots mean that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Jack Sparrow
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. lowrider69

DIY Wormery

Sorry @lowrider69 I have totally confused the issue here... :thud: What I should have said is my composters act like wormeries as they do not have bottoms hence worms going underground in the very hot...
    Sorry @lowrider69 I have totally confused the issue here... :thud: What I should have said is my composters act like wormeries as they do not have bottoms hence worms going underground in the very hot or very cold weather..( No I don’t have the liquor as such but I collect that from my compost...
    Sorry @lowrider69 I have totally confused the issue here... :thud: What I should have said is my composters act like wormeries as they do not have bottoms hence worms going underground in the very hot or very cold weather..( No I don’t have the liquor...
    Sorry @lowrider69 I have totally confused the issue here... :thud: What I should have said is my composters act like wormeries as they do not have bottoms hence worms going underground in the very hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. wiseowl

Ribes sanguineum 'King Edward VII'

Hello @Verdun my very good friend my sincere apologies :redface:it was a slip of one of my talons the F is next to the D
    Hello @Verdun my very good friend my sincere apologies :redface:it was a slip of one of my talons the F is next to the D
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Passport1

Is this plant Dead

Many thanks all for the replies Thanks strongylodon
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. Trunky

Village Produce Show - Ideas and Suggestions Please.

@Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of war, raffle tombola and the list goes on.. We also a traction engine there as a local has one ...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of war, raffle tombola and the list goes on.. We...
    @Trunky this was our village produce and craft entry form.. Is this the sort of thing you mean.. We also had side shows and stalls, a children’s fancy dress Comp.. There were food stalls, tug of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  42. shiney

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

They will not all be identical anyway despite being the same variety!! :noidea: Anyway, no doubt they will look great there Snorky :)
    They will not all be identical anyway despite being the same variety!! :noidea: Anyway, no doubt they will look great there Snorky :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  43. Jack Sparrow

Moving a peony

Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All the daffodil and allium bulbs are starting to shoot so hopefully come spring that part of the...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All the daffodil and allium bulbs are starting to...
    Job done. The root system was a lot a bigger than I was expecting. It cut in half easily enough. I haven't bothered taking a photo as there is nothing to see. I will wait and see what happens. All...
    Replies:
    Views:
  44. Snorky85

What type of hedge?

Ok a bit of a daft idea maybe but.......... box hedging in substantial classy planters ?
    Ok a bit of a daft idea maybe but.......... box hedging in substantial classy planters ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  45. SimonZ
    Like x 8

Viburnum bodnantense in bloom

We have Dawn which is in flower at the moment and the smell is fantastic.:yes: If mine appears to be getting a bit out of hand I give it a light pruning and that usually sorts it out.:biggrin:
    We have Dawn which is in flower at the moment and the smell is fantastic.:yes: If mine appears to be getting a bit out of hand I give it a light pruning and that usually sorts it out.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options