1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↑ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

A great way to spend your retirement! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Our elder son bought Christmas crackers which had seeds in the cardboard cracker. Have just planted the crackers into the old wheel barrow in the orchard. Gave them a good soak. We now wait and...
    Our elder son bought Christmas crackers which had seeds in the cardboard cracker. Have just planted the crackers into the old wheel barrow in the orchard. Gave them a good soak. We now wait and see what will germinate and what flowers we have.
    Our elder son bought Christmas crackers which had seeds in the cardboard cracker. Have just planted the crackers into the old wheel barrow in the orchard. Gave them a good soak. We now wait and see what will germinate and what flowers we have.
    Our elder son bought Christmas crackers which had seeds in the cardboard cracker. Have just planted the crackers into the old wheel barrow in the orchard. Gave them a good soak. We now wait and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. Clueless 1 v2
    Like x 3

Flowering currant

I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant bush. It is probably a garden escape because it was...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PhilC

Best indoor potting mixes?

Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well draining but also holds water and nutrients...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Cordy
    Funny x 3

Who tied that knot ?

Says me -- as I hide behind a privet Bush
    02corner.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Clueless 1 v2

When you're feeling low, instead of letting go, just remember that plant...

Ok, it's ant, not plant. But this reminded me of the song about the ant that moved the rubber tree plant:)Check out the pure determination of this weed. The location is concrete for several metres...
    Ok, it's ant, not plant. But this reminded me of the song about the ant that moved the rubber tree plant:)Check out the pure determination of this weed. The location is concrete for several metres all around, and the bags of compost are unopened. One bag has a tiny hole in it. The bags have been...
    Ok, it's ant, not plant. But this reminded me of the song about the ant that moved the rubber tree plant:)Check out the pure determination of this weed. The location is concrete for several metres all around, and the bags of compost are unopened....
    Ok, it's ant, not plant. But this reminded me of the song about the ant that moved the rubber tree plant:)Check out the pure determination of this weed. The location is concrete for several metres...
    IMG_20230609_145838338_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. KWR

Remove Moss from Lawn

Hi all, I am new to the forum, please be gentle. I use the Evergreen Lawn Weed and Feed and have then used a machine a couple of times to rake my lawn using tines. I have now dark patches of dead...
    Hi all, I am new to the forum, please be gentle. I use the Evergreen Lawn Weed and Feed and have then used a machine a couple of times to rake my lawn using tines. I have now dark patches of dead moss. What are my best next steps please? Is it to intensley make sure I removed all the dead moss,...
    Hi all, I am new to the forum, please be gentle. I use the Evergreen Lawn Weed and Feed and have then used a machine a couple of times to rake my lawn using tines. I have now dark patches of dead moss. What are my best next steps please? Is it to...
    Hi all, I am new to the forum, please be gentle. I use the Evergreen Lawn Weed and Feed and have then used a machine a couple of times to rake my lawn using tines. I have now dark patches of dead...
    IMG20230502193853.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Victoria

Gardening in Algarve in November

I don't know if anyone is interested but thought some might like to know what is suggested to do in November here ... November in the Garden
    I don't know if anyone is interested but thought some might like to know what is suggested to do in November here ... November in the Garden
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. mazambo

Scabiosa stellata 'Sternkugel'

Hi everyone, I've got a couple of pots labelled as "echinops the giant" which i grew from seed, obviously they're scabiosa stellata sternkugel which is fantastic as I've tried to grow them before...
    Hi everyone, I've got a couple of pots labelled as "echinops the giant" which i grew from seed, obviously they're scabiosa stellata sternkugel which is fantastic as I've tried to grow them before without success, I'm just wondering if i pop them in the ground now will they self seed and return...
    Hi everyone, I've got a couple of pots labelled as "echinops the giant" which i grew from seed, obviously they're scabiosa stellata sternkugel which is fantastic as I've tried to grow them before without success, I'm just wondering if i pop them...
    Hi everyone, I've got a couple of pots labelled as "echinops the giant" which i grew from seed, obviously they're scabiosa stellata sternkugel which is fantastic as I've tried to grow them before...
    20220807_202402.jpg 20220807_133424.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. NigelJ

Hot dry weather Camellias and Rhododendrons

Given the hot dry weather we are currently "enjoying" don't forget to water the Camellias, Rhododendrons and Azaleas if you want flowers next year. This is the time of year they form flower buds...
    Given the hot dry weather we are currently "enjoying" don't forget to water the Camellias, Rhododendrons and Azaleas if you want flowers next year. This is the time of year they form flower buds for next year and if they get too dry the buds either abort or don't form. Also these are fairly...
    Given the hot dry weather we are currently "enjoying" don't forget to water the Camellias, Rhododendrons and Azaleas if you want flowers next year. This is the time of year they form flower buds for next year and if they get too dry the buds...
    Given the hot dry weather we are currently "enjoying" don't forget to water the Camellias, Rhododendrons and Azaleas if you want flowers next year. This is the time of year they form flower buds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. The Buddleja Garden

OPINIONS ON BUDDLEJA NEW DWARF HYBRIDS

I wonder how many people have actually grown the new Buddleja hybrids that are currently in the catalogues. I have been growing 'Rocketstar', 'Flutterby', 'Dreaming' and quite a few others. For...
    I wonder how many people have actually grown the new Buddleja hybrids that are currently in the catalogues. I have been growing 'Rocketstar', 'Flutterby', 'Dreaming' and quite a few others. For the most part, they are awful. Poor performance and often lacking in any disease resistance.For...
    I wonder how many people have actually grown the new Buddleja hybrids that are currently in the catalogues. I have been growing 'Rocketstar', 'Flutterby', 'Dreaming' and quite a few others. For the most part, they are awful. Poor performance and...
    I wonder how many people have actually grown the new Buddleja hybrids that are currently in the catalogues. I have been growing 'Rocketstar', 'Flutterby', 'Dreaming' and quite a few others. For...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. groundbeetle

Do Tropaeolum majus and Tropaeolum minus hybridise?

Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to get the colours and forms of the short nasturtiums in a big seven foot climbing nasturtium. The...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to get the colours and forms of the short nasturtiums...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Kevin Cowans

Looking for a Plant to Fill a Gap

Hello allI hope you are well.I am looking for a Plant to fill in a Gap in my Border.I have Posted a Photo and more details in the 'My Garden Progress' Thread, here:My Garden ProgressAny...
    Hello allI hope you are well.I am looking for a Plant to fill in a Gap in my Border.I have Posted a Photo and more details in the 'My Garden Progress' Thread, here:My Garden ProgressAny suggestions would be welcome.Thanks in advanceKevin
    Hello allI hope you are well.I am looking for a Plant to fill in a Gap in my Border.I have Posted a Photo and more details in the 'My Garden Progress' Thread, here:My Garden ProgressAny suggestions would be welcome.Thanks in...
    Hello allI hope you are well.I am looking for a Plant to fill in a Gap in my Border.I have Posted a Photo and more details in the 'My Garden Progress' Thread, here:My Garden ProgressAny...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. mazambo
    Like x 3

Isn't that just the way.

Bought a replacement for my dead agastache red fortune, and...
    20220603_200340.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. mazambo

Gladioli question

Hi everyone, this year has been about trying out old seed and growing plants I've never grown before one being gladioli. I planted 20 bulbs in a raised bed in a carefully worked out pattern and...
    Hi everyone, this year has been about trying out old seed and growing plants I've never grown before one being gladioli. I planted 20 bulbs in a raised bed in a carefully worked out pattern and from what I'm seeing I'm presuming they wander a bit, is that right?
    Hi everyone, this year has been about trying out old seed and growing plants I've never grown before one being gladioli. I planted 20 bulbs in a raised bed in a carefully worked out pattern and from what I'm seeing I'm presuming they wander a...
    Hi everyone, this year has been about trying out old seed and growing plants I've never grown before one being gladioli. I planted 20 bulbs in a raised bed in a carefully worked out pattern and...
    20220522_195417.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. JBat

Recommendation gravel strip

Hello! I'm after recommendations. I've got a very narrow strip of gravel at the edge of some decking. The neighbours fence replacement was a slimmer construction so I gained a couple of inches....
    Hello! I'm after recommendations. I've got a very narrow strip of gravel at the edge of some decking. The neighbours fence replacement was a slimmer construction so I gained a couple of inches. Any recommendations for little plants that seed in gravel (like Erigeron would), but the catch being...
    Hello! I'm after recommendations. I've got a very narrow strip of gravel at the edge of some decking. The neighbours fence replacement was a slimmer construction so I gained a couple of inches. Any recommendations for little plants that seed in...
    Hello! I'm after recommendations. I've got a very narrow strip of gravel at the edge of some decking. The neighbours fence replacement was a slimmer construction so I gained a couple of inches....
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. ricky101

Acer Orange Dream

Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good looking canopy on such a young plant.However many larger Acers we have seen are single stemmed, so...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good looking canopy on such a young plant.However many...
    Hi,We purchased a couple of these nice looking little Acers from B&M but not sure how best to grow them.Each plant has two main shoots which have been deliberately stopped to give a good...
    IMG_20220429_143140671_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. ricky101

Free Postage Weekend - Suttons

Hi,Just looking for some last minute plants and found that Suttons had them and also free delivery this Weekend saving £5.99 on most plant orders.
    Hi,Just looking for some last minute plants and found that Suttons had them and also free delivery this Weekend saving £5.99 on most plant orders.
    001165.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Vegasbaby

Planting between apple trees

HelloWe have a row of 6 established apple trees (20 plus years).each have gaps of about 3 meters and producing a lot of fruit. We are looking at what we can potentially plant between them we...
    HelloWe have a row of 6 established apple trees (20 plus years).each have gaps of about 3 meters and producing a lot of fruit. We are looking at what we can potentially plant between them we ideally would like to introduce fruit bushes but don’t want to cause any issues to the trees.
    HelloWe have a row of 6 established apple trees (20 plus years).each have gaps of about 3 meters and producing a lot of fruit. We are looking at what we can potentially plant between them we ideally would like to introduce fruit bushes but...
    HelloWe have a row of 6 established apple trees (20 plus years).each have gaps of about 3 meters and producing a lot of fruit. We are looking at what we can potentially plant between them we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Harri

Pruning a crab apple tree.

I have inherited what I'm told is a crab apple tree. From my view I would say it could benefit with a pruning. Would I be right? And if so, just where would I start with this tree?
    I have inherited what I'm told is a crab apple tree. From my view I would say it could benefit with a pruning. Would I be right? And if so, just where would I start with this tree?
    crab1.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. NotLoz

Planting suggestions please!

Hello!The garden of our new house is wraparound, and the lawn is to the side and front of the house. The fencing here is a low picket fence, and so I would like to make a new bed and choose some...
    Hello!The garden of our new house is wraparound, and the lawn is to the side and front of the house. The fencing here is a low picket fence, and so I would like to make a new bed and choose some planting to make the garden a bit more private. I don't need full screening (no bamboo!! We had to...
    Hello!The garden of our new house is wraparound, and the lawn is to the side and front of the house. The fencing here is a low picket fence, and so I would like to make a new bed and choose some planting to make the garden a bit more private. I...
    Hello!The garden of our new house is wraparound, and the lawn is to the side and front of the house. The fencing here is a low picket fence, and so I would like to make a new bed and choose some...
    IMG_20220204_112422.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. trogre
    Like x 4

Canna & Cineria

Hi All. I normally have my cannas in pots but in 2020 I planted a few in back border. I decided to do an experiment. I decided rather than dig them up I covered them once cut down with 2 layers of...
    Hi All. I normally have my cannas in pots but in 2020 I planted a few in back border. I decided to do an experiment. I decided rather than dig them up I covered them once cut down with 2 layers of fleece and a plastic bucket on top.I was a bit surprised that they survived the frost and grew...
    Hi All. I normally have my cannas in pots but in 2020 I planted a few in back border. I decided to do an experiment. I decided rather than dig them up I covered them once cut down with 2 layers of fleece and a plastic bucket on top.I was a bit...
    Hi All. I normally have my cannas in pots but in 2020 I planted a few in back border. I decided to do an experiment. I decided rather than dig them up I covered them once cut down with 2 layers of...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice