1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↑
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left....
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left. Fingers crossed that I haven’t made a mistake as I understand Acers don’t liked being moved. :)
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left. Fingers crossed that I haven’t made a mistake as I...
    Thanks for the advice I have already put it in the same bed that I have a couple of red Acers. The new one has got a 3ft Euonymus to the right of it but nothing sheltering it to the left....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Finally got my potatoes planted this pm altho OH had only turned over enough bed for the Désirée and the 4 "sprouted in the pantry" spuds. Found the earth soft enough in th etop half of the...
    Finally got my potatoes planted this pm altho OH had only turned over enough bed for the Désirée and the 4 "sprouted in the pantry" spuds. Found the earth soft enough in th etop half of the rhubarb bed to plant my Domreines with 5 left over and now in small pots. Like @noisette47 and...
    Finally got my potatoes planted this pm altho OH had only turned over enough bed for the Désirée and the 4 "sprouted in the pantry" spuds. Found the earth soft enough in th etop half of the rhubarb bed to plant my Domreines with 5 left over...
    Finally got my potatoes planted this pm altho OH had only turned over enough bed for the Désirée and the 4 "sprouted in the pantry" spuds. Found the earth soft enough in th etop half of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

Cerinthe major...self sows all over the place! Aquilegia 'Norah Barlow' Ixia Perennial stock Matthiola incana? One of the first Irises Alchemyst
    Cerinthe major...self sows all over the place! Aquilegia 'Norah Barlow' Ixia Perennial stock Matthiola incana? One of the first Irises Alchemyst
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. silu

!

Commercial growers must do though - so the results must speak for themselves??Although ... perhaps any-old-thing will do, for me, and I just wait a bit longer before it is plating-out-size ?
    Commercial growers must do though - so the results must speak for themselves??Although ... perhaps any-old-thing will do, for me, and I just wait a bit longer before it is plating-out-size ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. chris

!POPPIES!

OK will do. I'll pop some HBP's in as well if you want to give them a go as my mum has them in pots so not much space needed. BTW the one that is flowering is a M. Betonicifolia. The other one...
    OK will do. I'll pop some HBP's in as well if you want to give them a go as my mum has them in pots so not much space needed. BTW the one that is flowering is a M. Betonicifolia. The other one currently half the size is M. Sheldonii so i expect that will come later on with a bit of Seeweed.
    OK will do. I'll pop some HBP's in as well if you want to give them a go as my mum has them in pots so not much space needed. BTW the one that is flowering is a M. Betonicifolia. The other one currently half the size is M. Sheldonii so i expect...
    OK will do. I'll pop some HBP's in as well if you want to give them a go as my mum has them in pots so not much space needed. BTW the one that is flowering is a M. Betonicifolia. The other one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. technic123

""LONG"" lasting Amarylis

Thanks, i am quite keen on the appearence of it in flower and leaf so will try to keep this going. Will this affect the flowers performance in any way?Tom
    Thanks, i am quite keen on the appearence of it in flower and leaf so will try to keep this going. Will this affect the flowers performance in any way?Tom
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. PeterS

"Annual" Lobelia

I would love to have a greenhouse Pete - but its a matter of space. I have a summerhouse, which is has an entire glass front, which is a sort of semi-greenhouse, but its not the same. I think I'll...
    I would love to have a greenhouse Pete - but its a matter of space. I have a summerhouse, which is has an entire glass front, which is a sort of semi-greenhouse, but its not the same. I think I'll have to have one in my dining room alongside my light box. :D
    I would love to have a greenhouse Pete - but its a matter of space. I have a summerhouse, which is has an entire glass front, which is a sort of semi-greenhouse, but its not the same. I think I'll have to have one in my dining room alongside my...
    I would love to have a greenhouse Pete - but its a matter of space. I have a summerhouse, which is has an entire glass front, which is a sort of semi-greenhouse, but its not the same. I think I'll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. "M"

"Do not propagate without licence" ???

I disagree with you + JWK, and take Monsanto's side, on this one. Its a clear breach of contract. If someone buy seeds, signs a contract not to self-store / re-sow but goes ahead and does that...
    I disagree with you + JWK, and take Monsanto's side, on this one. Its a clear breach of contract. If someone buy seeds, signs a contract not to self-store / re-sow but goes ahead and does that anyway, then destroys evidence .... then they are a crook and can go straight to jail without...
    I disagree with you + JWK, and take Monsanto's side, on this one. Its a clear breach of contract. If someone buy seeds, signs a contract not to self-store / re-sow but goes ahead and does that anyway, then destroys evidence .... then they are a...
    I disagree with you + JWK, and take Monsanto's side, on this one. Its a clear breach of contract. If someone buy seeds, signs a contract not to self-store / re-sow but goes ahead and does that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. jw_universe

"easiest" plant growing and hardest challenge

My easiest to grow has got to be my blueberry (tophat). It survives anything and ever year is filled with blossom and loads of fruit. It seems soooo hardy - fab! Although my hostas self seed all...
    My easiest to grow has got to be my blueberry (tophat). It survives anything and ever year is filled with blossom and loads of fruit. It seems soooo hardy - fab! Although my hostas self seed all over the place and I spend half my life pulling up new ones! Ohhhh - I have the bamboo problem too -...
    My easiest to grow has got to be my blueberry (tophat). It survives anything and ever year is filled with blossom and loads of fruit. It seems soooo hardy - fab! Although my hostas self seed all over the place and I spend half my life pulling up...
    My easiest to grow has got to be my blueberry (tophat). It survives anything and ever year is filled with blossom and loads of fruit. It seems soooo hardy - fab! Although my hostas self seed all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. "M"

"Egg and Chips" this year?

I might next year and do the potato/tomato one as well but this year i am not growing anything just going to get the garden sorted with weeding and tidying and wash all the pots and tidy the...
    I might next year and do the potato/tomato one as well but this year i am not growing anything just going to get the garden sorted with weeding and tidying and wash all the pots and tidy the sheds.Then next year i can grow stuff :-)Altho i grew aubergines the one year and slugs got to them...
    I might next year and do the potato/tomato one as well but this year i am not growing anything just going to get the garden sorted with weeding and tidying and wash all the pots and tidy the sheds.Then next year i can grow stuff :-)Altho i...
    I might next year and do the potato/tomato one as well but this year i am not growing anything just going to get the garden sorted with weeding and tidying and wash all the pots and tidy the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Mr.Mc

"Flower Power?"

I've had a think and here are some plants for you to google and see what you think ..... they're all going to spread/carpet the ground, some taller than others but none over 12" high. ...
    I've had a think and here are some plants for you to google and see what you think ..... they're all going to spread/carpet the ground, some taller than others but none over 12" high. Helianthemums - these come in the red and yellow spectrum, various shades of. Ground hugging. Alpine...
    I've had a think and here are some plants for you to google and see what you think ..... they're all going to spread/carpet the ground, some taller than others but none over 12" high. Helianthemums - these come in the red and yellow spectrum,...
    I've had a think and here are some plants for you to google and see what you think ..... they're all going to spread/carpet the ground, some taller than others but none over 12" high. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. miraflores

"guerrilla gardening"

When I had the dogs , I used to collect acorns and plant them in the hedgerows as I walked along , done the same with hazel and conkers . I must of planted hundreds over the years and I know...
    When I had the dogs , I used to collect acorns and plant them in the hedgerows as I walked along , done the same with hazel and conkers . I must of planted hundreds over the years and I know some of them are doing really well . Spruce
    When I had the dogs , I used to collect acorns and plant them in the hedgerows as I walked along , done the same with hazel and conkers . I must of planted hundreds over the years and I know some of them are doing really well . Spruce
    When I had the dogs , I used to collect acorns and plant them in the hedgerows as I walked along , done the same with hazel and conkers . I must of planted hundreds over the years and I know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Bally

"I want Acers "

We had an acer that was quite happy in a pretty shaded area
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Doghouse Riley

"In the Night Garden"

Wow! and I don't know whether I'm more impressed with your garden or by the quality of modern digital cameras...
    Wow! and I don't know whether I'm more impressed with your garden or by the quality of modern digital cameras...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. pamsdish

"Lost/Forgotten purchases.

You can't remember the 50s Pam !:biggrin: You had to stab the jam lid to release it . Salad was a slice of ham , a sliced boiled egg , two leaves of lettuce and a tomato ! Radish and spring onions if you...
    You can't remember the 50s Pam !:biggrin: You had to stab the jam lid to release it . Salad was a slice of ham , a sliced boiled egg , two leaves of lettuce and a tomato ! Radish and spring onions if you were lucky ........Sunday tea was very boring !
    You can't remember the 50s Pam !:biggrin: You had to stab the jam lid to release it . Salad was a slice of ham , a sliced boiled egg , two leaves of lettuce and a tomato ! Radish and spring onions if you were lucky ........Sunday tea was very boring !
    You can't remember the 50s Pam !:biggrin: You had to stab the jam lid to release it . Salad was a slice of ham , a sliced boiled egg , two leaves of lettuce and a tomato ! Radish and spring onions if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Kristen

"Love Your Garden" - ITV1 - starts Tuesday 26 June at 8pm

The second episode was a joke, a garden in which the disabled daughter would be able to access all areas. Granite sets & gravel ?????? have they tried pushing a wheelchair on either because I have...
    The second episode was a joke, a garden in which the disabled daughter would be able to access all areas. Granite sets & gravel ?????? have they tried pushing a wheelchair on either because I have and it's not pleasant for pusher or pushee (I may have made that word up) Looked nice though, think...
    The second episode was a joke, a garden in which the disabled daughter would be able to access all areas. Granite sets & gravel ?????? have they tried pushing a wheelchair on either because I have and it's not pleasant for pusher or pushee (I may...
    The second episode was a joke, a garden in which the disabled daughter would be able to access all areas. Granite sets & gravel ?????? have they tried pushing a wheelchair on either because I have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Phil A
    Like x 6

"M"'s Sunflowers

We've just called them 'Mum' :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. Doghouse Riley

"Multiplication, That's the Name of the Game"

I've got a better story. Several years ago we attended the Cheshire Show at Tatton Park which isn't far from us. They had several craft stalls in the hall including one which was displaying...
    I've got a better story. Several years ago we attended the Cheshire Show at Tatton Park which isn't far from us. They had several craft stalls in the hall including one which was displaying pottery and kitcheneware items. We liked the look of some cups and saucers. These days if you buy a...
    I've got a better story. Several years ago we attended the Cheshire Show at Tatton Park which isn't far from us. They had several craft stalls in the hall including one which was displaying pottery and kitcheneware items. We liked the look of...
    I've got a better story. Several years ago we attended the Cheshire Show at Tatton Park which isn't far from us. They had several craft stalls in the hall including one which was displaying...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. Clematis

"Natural Weedkiller"

Great info - thanks!
    Great info - thanks!
    Great info - thanks!
    Great info - thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. Ivory

"Natural" hedge.

berberis stenophulous or however you say it
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Peter Finn

"Nutscene Greentwist" garden twine

Nutscene Greentwist. Many thanks to all those who replied to my query. I am following up all these suggestions and I feel sure something useful will come out of this. Thanks again. Peter
    Nutscene Greentwist. Many thanks to all those who replied to my query. I am following up all these suggestions and I feel sure something useful will come out of this. Thanks again. Peter
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. PeterS

"Oh my god - what's that"

Love weeds - I tried to grow a Bolivean sunflower - Tithonia diversifolia, a couple of years ago. But couldn't get any seeds to germinate.I think this one was 26 feet high.
    Love weeds - I tried to grow a Bolivean sunflower - Tithonia diversifolia, a couple of years ago. But couldn't get any seeds to germinate.I think this one was 26 feet high.
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. vegmandan

"Organics" is a con

Welcome Rajesh :thumb: :) Jatropha sounds an interesting plant. Are you involved in growing it? Is it also suitable as a garden plant in our British climate?
    Welcome Rajesh :thumb: :) Jatropha sounds an interesting plant. Are you involved in growing it? Is it also suitable as a garden plant in our British climate?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice