1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↑
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

Cat Deterrents

Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Please Read This Thread First:-Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.! 2022
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney
    Like x 10

Cutting Lawn Edges

Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Of course, if Bulldog did make them, the quality would be better, and they might even give away a bag of Uncle Joes as a promotional offer! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kevin Cowans

Struggling Honeysuckle 'American Beauty'

Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Hello @Kevin Cowans no worries my friendBuy Lonicera x heckrottii Gold Flame (syn American Beauty) Honeysuckle in the UK
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ChrisM6

Mediterranean / Dry gardening

Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also cutting off golf courses, municipal gardens, upping...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant in Albufeira for drinking water .... and also...
    Thank you, it would be gratefully accepted.I posted an article, last month I think, where 'they' are investigating piping to Algarve from up north. Also, they are building a desalinating plant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Show us your purchases 2024

Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Ahh, how well I know this feeling! :) Go out for something to fill a dry, shady spot. Come home with something completely unsuitable ... but somehow irresistible. :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. shiney

What's looking good APRIL 2024

LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    LilacMy garden
    DSCF0793.jpg DSC00462.jpeg DSC00463.jpeg DSC00461.jpeg DSC00464.jpeg 20240401_085917.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

RECOMMENDED GARDENING/HORTICULTURAL/BOTANICAL BOOKS AND PERSONAL STUDIES INTO THE SUBJECT

Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For those who have perhaps lived through an era, and...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts, experiences and memories. To help set the scene. For...
    Now then. So we have opened up a bit about our books etc. Now then. I am approaching a kind of special time of the gardening year to me. I wonder if anyone cares to share their thoughts,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

IRIS CHOICE - NEED A HAND FROM THE GANG

You need them all! I need them all! They're magnificent aren't they?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. HarryS

Dahlia Tuber Planting ?

Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the more reliable way ? We have heat.
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in a compost with some perlite or in water is the...
    Hi all,Some of our tubers are sprouting well in the greenhouse so will be talking a few cuttings.A very long time ( many years) since we last took some, interested to know if rooting them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII
    Like x 7

SWEETPEAS

I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    I've never soaked them - not necessary here, as the soil mix, or even just compost, stays wet enough for germination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

SUPER SALVIAS

stormy pink - from Great DixterJenny namaste
    RSCN2245[1].JPG RSCN2243[1].JPG salvia.jpeg P1040907.JPG Salvia microphylla Kew Red 2.JPG Salvia microphylla wislizeni.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. ARMANDII
    Like x 3

FUCHSIAS

I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    I've had difficulty sourcing decent sized bush fuchsias but fortunately my cuttings are coming on space and should be a good size by the autumn
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK

Anyone Buying New Seed ?

Thank you, will do :) have a good day.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Redwing
    Like x 5

Good Online Nurseries and Plant Sellers

Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and can be divided. Many places have sales at that...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants are outgrowing their pots in GCs or nurseries, and...
    Definitely too good to be true @ViewAhead , especially nowadays with the cost of everything rising dramatically. For perennials, a good method is to buy in late summer/early autumn, when plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. HarryS
    Like x 18

Know Your Weeds

my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    my friend seems to be having a problem with buttercup weeds in her lawn, how can she get rid of it ? Without damaging the lawn :spinning:
    77E1E0A6-9BD8-440F-8F58-999D69CBB5A6.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK

What are we doing in the garden 2024

Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the windowsills for the tomato seedlings which will soon need potting on. I also gave the roses in pots...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the windowsills for the tomato seedlings which will...
    Today I potted on 2 Cosmos and a Zinnia and put them in the cold frame. This is an experiment to see if it is too cold out there for them. I still have others inside but I need to make room on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

Sheds

These are the ones I have here -
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 9

Improving clay

Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Cool
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK
    Like x 9

Do you know your soil type?

Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden not far from the coast. Can grow wide range of...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure added over the years. Warm, sunny walled garden...
    Good deep sandy loam around 7 on the PH scale here. Front garden is very draining; back garden has better soil and holds moisture pretty well because of the huge amounts of compost and manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21.   » Normal Threads
  22. TheMadHedger

What is the finest compost regarding texture?

I'd have a look at the Melcourt Sylvagrow range; again not cheap.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Angie Jones (nut)

Tulipa sprengeri

Thanks pd, I think I'll go with that
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. GreenFingeredFifer

Planter Liners

Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite inexpensive. Lasts much longer
    Yes- they would be fine, but it could be worth doubling them up as they aren't generally as sturdy as compost bags, or the rolls of plastic you can buy. Pond liner is very good, and is often quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. BenCotto

Patio Black Spot Remover

14_15% bleach kills off the spots. Bac. 50 also,not tried that one myself. Very toxic so full protection for you and wildlife. 30 quid for 5 Ltr on ebay.
    14_15% bleach kills off the spots. Bac. 50 also,not tried that one myself. Very toxic so full protection for you and wildlife. 30 quid for 5 Ltr on ebay.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Clueless 1 v2
    Like x 3

Flowering currant

I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant bush. It is probably a garden escape because it was...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while walking in the woods we saw a flowering currant...
    I've never been especially impressed with flowering currants. I've always thought if you going to grow a currant bush, you might as well grow one that will give you juicy currants.Today while...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. PhilC

Can you grow Sugar Cane from seeds?

You'll be lucky, you need daily temperatures of 25-30C.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Nickoslesteros

Planting a rugosa rose against a fence on west side of garden

This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank you!
    This is really encouraging. Right. I'll get it planted tomorrow. I'm quite excited as there are a few growing out on the dunes which have escaped gardens I suppose, and the scent is superb.Thank...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Gilla.Walmsley

Geum recommendations

I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. hailbopp

Trnasplanting Nerine Bowdenii when in leaf.

I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half above the soil level.
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back 2 weeks later. They are fine, placed bulbs half...
    I did, wnen my cordyline australis had to go, I had to remove plants from underneath it. So I dug plants out with as much soil around as I could and placed into the bag in the shade. Planted back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. TheMadHedger

Hedging plants that love shade, preferably that grow fast and maybe even flowering?

I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. TheMadHedger

Grass seed and ground frost

Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger ! Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Jenny_Aster

National Gardening Day!

I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    I won't be doing any gardening, probably just celebrating.My melons are not even sown yet let alone ready. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. fumanchu

Planter Sizes

Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the...
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the local plant nursery will have more in by then as well.
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the local plant nursery will have more in by then as...
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. lizzie27

Composting old teeshirts?

I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  36. berarde

introduction to the forum

Thread Moved to this Forum from "The New members Introduction Forum" where it should get more coverage and has it was the initial post with two more posts following on the second and third posts...
    Thread Moved to this Forum from "The New members Introduction Forum" where it should get more coverage and has it was the initial post with two more posts following on the second and third posts also had to come
    Thread Moved to this Forum from "The New members Introduction Forum" where it should get more coverage and has it was the initial post with two more posts following on the second and third posts also had to come
    Thread Moved to this Forum from "The New members Introduction Forum" where it should get more coverage and has it was the initial post with two more posts following on the second and third posts...
    Replies:
    Views:
  37. groundbeetle

Do Tropaeolum majus and Tropaeolum minus hybridise?

Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to get the colours and forms of the short nasturtiums in a big seven foot climbing nasturtium. The...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to get the colours and forms of the short nasturtiums...
    Do Tropaeolum majus, long trailing and climbing nasturtiums, and Tropaeolum minus, short nasturtiums, hybridise/interbreed?I ask for two main reasons. The first is it might be interesting to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  38. robbo

Clematis

I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general tidy up if they're getting too big for the space....
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  39. Tui34
    Like x 3

Thank you for your warm welcome

Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Replies:
    Views:
  40. Scotkat

Recyled

This used to be my glass cleaner bottle so when it was finished .I washed out the bottle and filled with water and now its a spray bottle for the greenhouse.
    This used to be my glass cleaner bottle so when it was finished .I washed out the bottle and filled with water and now its a spray bottle for the greenhouse.
    2F1DC094-A712-484D-815D-19B05633863C.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  41. puschkinia

Acer palmatum - branch dieback

I'll do that. What a relief, it's such a beautiful tree. Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice