1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. scottyboy

Oleria Henry Travis

At least now you have the correct name to go searching.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Michael Hewett

Daphne

Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. hailbopp

Timing to Prune Euonymus Red Cascade

Robins have already built nests outside my window. :rolleyespink:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. hailbopp

Advice re Bamboo please

IME when you chop the stems they tend to put growth on sideways, so at least the pots will be full of rhizome :)
    IME when you chop the stems they tend to put growth on sideways, so at least the pots will be full of rhizome :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. fumanchu

Rose and Azalea growing in pots

That's great ricky thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl

What's looking good MARCH 2024

LINK TO NEW THREADWhat's looking good APRIL 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. RicMetty

Best online retailer

I think I know who you mean but I can't remember the name at the moment either. :doh:I've just asked my offspring on 'Messenger', one of them will know. :)
    I think I know who you mean but I can't remember the name at the moment either. :doh:I've just asked my offspring on 'Messenger', one of them will know. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. hailbopp

Broken growing shoots Day Lilies

If they don't have live tissue above the main root, they aren't likely to grow. If there's still green growth, just plant them and they should be ok but it might be next year before they do much.
    If they don't have live tissue above the main root, they aren't likely to grow. If there's still green growth, just plant them and they should be ok but it might be next year before they do much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pepe

Places to buy Japanese maples and acers

Not something I'd like to buy online but if were I probably use Ornamental trees or Bluebell arboretum I had a few plants from these last year which I were pleased with , or acers online never...
    Not something I'd like to buy online but if were I probably use Ornamental trees or Bluebell arboretum I had a few plants from these last year which I were pleased with , or acers online never used them before.
    Not something I'd like to buy online but if were I probably use Ornamental trees or Bluebell arboretum I had a few plants from these last year which I were pleased with , or acers online never used them before.
    Not something I'd like to buy online but if were I probably use Ornamental trees or Bluebell arboretum I had a few plants from these last year which I were pleased with , or acers online never...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. fumanchu

The Planning Stage...

Just bought it! you are such a wee enabler :biggrin::dancy::spinning: TY!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Balc
    Like x 9

Primroses over the years

I think cowslips grow in limey areas. They were growing on the downs in Stroud when my mother in law lived there but primroses were rare. The opposite here in Cornwall. I have lots of the wild...
    I think cowslips grow in limey areas. They were growing on the downs in Stroud when my mother in law lived there but primroses were rare. The opposite here in Cornwall. I have lots of the wild ones and some Jack in the Green and a few gold laced ones which someone was selling at the end of their...
    I think cowslips grow in limey areas. They were growing on the downs in Stroud when my mother in law lived there but primroses were rare. The opposite here in Cornwall. I have lots of the wild ones and some Jack in the Green and a few gold laced...
    I think cowslips grow in limey areas. They were growing on the downs in Stroud when my mother in law lived there but primroses were rare. The opposite here in Cornwall. I have lots of the wild...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. RicMetty

Flowering Perennials for partial shade/ morning sun

Geranium macrorrhizums should be happy there too. Might be taller than you want but Eurybia divaricata aka wood aster would also do well
    Geranium macrorrhizums should be happy there too. Might be taller than you want but Eurybia divaricata aka wood aster would also do well
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. fumanchu

Is 12" deep enough for roses? :(

Planters in deep ugly horrible gravel Jenny, so permanent fixtures and canny use castors. Good ideas for roses thanks!
    Planters in deep ugly horrible gravel Jenny, so permanent fixtures and canny use castors. Good ideas for roses thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Charentejohn

Do all pots need crocs for drainage ?

I always put crocks in ‘cos Monty does.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

Clematis...

Was in Worthing Morrisons this afternoon/early evening, loads of different clematis for £2.50 each about a foot high. plenty of the old favourites amongst them
    Was in Worthing Morrisons this afternoon/early evening, loads of different clematis for £2.50 each about a foot high. plenty of the old favourites amongst them
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Charentejohn

How to kill Ivy now rooted in a stone wall so hard to reach

I wonder if putting glyphosate in a plastic bag tied onto the bottom of the cut ivy might work? As the leaves transpire, they might suck the glyphosate up the stem.
    I wonder if putting glyphosate in a plastic bag tied onto the bottom of the cut ivy might work? As the leaves transpire, they might suck the glyphosate up the stem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. NoviceGardener2023

Bird Feeder Type & Placement

I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well....
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well.However, since I hung up a feeder on the low branches of a mature Viburnum, the posh feeder station only...
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well.However, since I hung up a feeder on the low branches of...
    I have a bird feeder station supporting an evergreen Lonicera plus a young Sarococca at the base. The birds like the cover and as we don't have rats nor squirrels the thing works well....
    IMG_20240212_165016.jpg images.jpg birdfeeder1.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Charentejohn

Metal raised bed on concrete, drainage required ?

Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti gardeners' when it comes to plants, we lose a lot due to lack of knowledge and general inattention. Trying...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti gardeners' when it comes to plants, we lose a lot due to...
    Some large some small Dahlias, in these containers it will be 2-3 dahlias + other plants. I can water ok as we have a cistern (about 4 cubic metres) close by. As I said we are the 'anti...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kevin Cowans

How to deal with Compacted Soil in Planted Borders

I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is...
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is worth doing a couple of times a year, it dissappears over time. Of course a thicker layer is better.
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is worth doing a couple of times a year, it dissappears...
    I don't dig around shrubs and trees, it's part of the reason I have them, low maintenance. Mulching is a good idea, I do quite a lot using my own chippings from the shredder. Even an inch is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. fumanchu

What would you do with this horrible front "garden" ?

We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m long one as a 'non fence' planted with something colourful and evergreen ? We plan bee blossom and...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m long one as a 'non fence' planted with something...
    We just bought some of these, the grey ones they come in various sizes and heights. Not expensive, look good and I did see a long one like the shiny one used to screen a patio area. Maybe a 4-5m...
    A FRONT.jpg sketch.jpg upload_2024-2-17_20-37-47.png
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice