1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. wurzel

copper tape

Hmm! Not sure about copper tape, never used it.:scratch: Copper wire works O.K. I tie it round all my suscepticle plants that I've got in pots. Hostas, Brugs etc. and it works fine. :) Since i started using...
    Hmm! Not sure about copper tape, never used it.:scratch: Copper wire works O.K. I tie it round all my suscepticle plants that I've got in pots. Hostas, Brugs etc. and it works fine. :) Since i started using it I haven't had a hint of damage. I wish I could surround the whole garden in it.:lollol:
    Hmm! Not sure about copper tape, never used it.:scratch: Copper wire works O.K. I tie it round all my suscepticle plants that I've got in pots. Hostas, Brugs etc. and it works fine. :) Since i started using it I haven't had a hint of damage. I wish I could...
    Hmm! Not sure about copper tape, never used it.:scratch: Copper wire works O.K. I tie it round all my suscepticle plants that I've got in pots. Hostas, Brugs etc. and it works fine. :) Since i started using...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Osbaldwick

B&Q this weekend

Yes I've seen that. If I need anything from B&Q I usually go on "old people's 10% off day " but I'm tempted to get another PIR lamp for the side of the house. We have a porch light outside the...
    Yes I've seen that. If I need anything from B&Q I usually go on "old people's 10% off day " but I'm tempted to get another PIR lamp for the side of the house. We have a porch light outside the kitchen door (we don't use that door now as there's now three small naffin' pedal bins on the mat in...
    Yes I've seen that. If I need anything from B&Q I usually go on "old people's 10% off day " but I'm tempted to get another PIR lamp for the side of the house. We have a porch light outside the kitchen door (we don't use that door now as there's...
    Yes I've seen that. If I need anything from B&Q I usually go on "old people's 10% off day " but I'm tempted to get another PIR lamp for the side of the house. We have a porch light outside the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Fidgetsmum

Hooray!

Yes, I have to admit to feeling the same way ... although the slugs and snails are also enjoying the rain, unfortunately :(.
    Yes, I have to admit to feeling the same way ... although the slugs and snails are also enjoying the rain, unfortunately :(.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Nick777VVV

Pyrus Calleryana Chanticleer Query

Hi Nick,You can't really expect a newly planted tree to do as well as a more established one so ideally you'd need to wait a while longer to see if the newer additions catch up. It could also be...
    Hi Nick,You can't really expect a newly planted tree to do as well as a more established one so ideally you'd need to wait a while longer to see if the newer additions catch up. It could also be that there is less water & nutrients in the ground now there's more competition. I think you'll...
    Hi Nick,You can't really expect a newly planted tree to do as well as a more established one so ideally you'd need to wait a while longer to see if the newer additions catch up. It could also be that there is less water & nutrients in the...
    Hi Nick,You can't really expect a newly planted tree to do as well as a more established one so ideally you'd need to wait a while longer to see if the newer additions catch up. It could also be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Victoria Plum

Hoeing weeds

Even ground elder will eventually weaken and die if the tops are cut off frequently enough. The old gardeners used to say ''never let the weeds see Sunday" Another option is to lift the plants (...
    Even ground elder will eventually weaken and die if the tops are cut off frequently enough. The old gardeners used to say ''never let the weeds see Sunday" Another option is to lift the plants ( pot them up or move to a holding area ) then cover the problem area with weed supressant membrane...
    Even ground elder will eventually weaken and die if the tops are cut off frequently enough. The old gardeners used to say ''never let the weeds see Sunday" Another option is to lift the plants ( pot them up or move to a holding area ) then...
    Even ground elder will eventually weaken and die if the tops are cut off frequently enough. The old gardeners used to say ''never let the weeds see Sunday" Another option is to lift the plants (...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. chelly100

Hedge instead of fence??

Depends how big the trees were, I removed one which was about twenty years old without much bother. I left a five-foot stump which enabled me to work on it. Leylandii haven't got deep roots, you...
    Depends how big the trees were, I removed one which was about twenty years old without much bother. I left a five-foot stump which enabled me to work on it. Leylandii haven't got deep roots, you might be able to dig round them yourselves and if the stumps are tall enough you might be able to...
    Depends how big the trees were, I removed one which was about twenty years old without much bother. I left a five-foot stump which enabled me to work on it. Leylandii haven't got deep roots, you might be able to dig round them yourselves and if...
    Depends how big the trees were, I removed one which was about twenty years old without much bother. I left a five-foot stump which enabled me to work on it. Leylandii haven't got deep roots, you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Axie-Ali

There's no such thing as a ...

so true - i love my lottie too loopy
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Charlsummer

Jasmine help!

Hi Charlotte .... They are smashing plants I think.. Aside from making sure your jasmine is fertilized with sufficient phosphorous, the key to getting it to flower is exposing it to temperatures...
    Hi Charlotte .... They are smashing plants I think.. Aside from making sure your jasmine is fertilized with sufficient phosphorous, the key to getting it to flower is exposing it to temperatures below 60 degrees F for a period of four to six weeks... I think this explains it all very...
    Hi Charlotte .... They are smashing plants I think.. Aside from making sure your jasmine is fertilized with sufficient phosphorous, the key to getting it to flower is exposing it to temperatures below 60 degrees F for a period of four to six ...
    Hi Charlotte .... They are smashing plants I think.. Aside from making sure your jasmine is fertilized with sufficient phosphorous, the key to getting it to flower is exposing it to temperatures...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Beachlover

Weedy top soil

Many of the weeds will not survive the mowing. Those that do you will just have to deal with once the grass is established with a lawn weedkiller. Remember that grass is a weed and will fight...
    Many of the weeds will not survive the mowing. Those that do you will just have to deal with once the grass is established with a lawn weedkiller. Remember that grass is a weed and will fight for its own space.
    Many of the weeds will not survive the mowing. Those that do you will just have to deal with once the grass is established with a lawn weedkiller. Remember that grass is a weed and will fight for its own space.
    Many of the weeds will not survive the mowing. Those that do you will just have to deal with once the grass is established with a lawn weedkiller. Remember that grass is a weed and will fight...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Makka-Bakka

Hosta help !

I'd love to be able to grow hostas, in my garden they are slug magnets and just get chomped.Sorry I can't offer any advice, I'm sure someone will be along to help.
    I'd love to be able to grow hostas, in my garden they are slug magnets and just get chomped.Sorry I can't offer any advice, I'm sure someone will be along to help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. bufferchups

Some sort of mold?

Those are scale insects - a pest - you will need to get rid of them. (You will find plenty of advice on google.)
    Those are scale insects - a pest - you will need to get rid of them. (You will find plenty of advice on google.)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pavulon

white sediment inside the garden hose pipe

Is it a new hose or one you've had a while? If its new, then its possibly just some residue from the manufacturing process, I doubt it would be anything which would harm plants etc. Have...
    Is it a new hose or one you've had a while? If its new, then its possibly just some residue from the manufacturing process, I doubt it would be anything which would harm plants etc. Have you used the hose for something like 'LiquaFeed'? I know this only goes on the end of the hose, but...
    Is it a new hose or one you've had a while? If its new, then its possibly just some residue from the manufacturing process, I doubt it would be anything which would harm plants etc. Have you used the hose for something like 'LiquaFeed'? I...
    Is it a new hose or one you've had a while? If its new, then its possibly just some residue from the manufacturing process, I doubt it would be anything which would harm plants etc. Have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. simmel

My clematis flowers have dyed

I'm not an expert on clematis (hopefully they'll be one along shortly) but to judge from the leaves this looks like an evergreen form, which blooms from winter to early spring. So, if I'm right,...
    I'm not an expert on clematis (hopefully they'll be one along shortly) but to judge from the leaves this looks like an evergreen form, which blooms from winter to early spring. So, if I'm right, your plant would be at the end of its flowering season anyway, without the shock it got to its...
    I'm not an expert on clematis (hopefully they'll be one along shortly) but to judge from the leaves this looks like an evergreen form, which blooms from winter to early spring. So, if I'm right, your plant would be at the end of its flowering...
    I'm not an expert on clematis (hopefully they'll be one along shortly) but to judge from the leaves this looks like an evergreen form, which blooms from winter to early spring. So, if I'm right,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Neil C

Why won't my nasturtiums germinate?

They can takes ages, then all of a sudden make an appearance. I sow them straight in the ground and then usually forget about them.
    They can takes ages, then all of a sudden make an appearance. I sow them straight in the ground and then usually forget about them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ClaraLou

Geraniums like vitamin C

I have tried that ClaraLou - I can't say that there was any difference between using rooting powder and vitamin C. However Geraniums (Pelargoniums) root very easily. The one thing you musn't do is...
    I have tried that ClaraLou - I can't say that there was any difference between using rooting powder and vitamin C. However Geraniums (Pelargoniums) root very easily. The one thing you musn't do is to cover them, as you would with most other cuttings.Whilst rooting powder often doesn't help...
    I have tried that ClaraLou - I can't say that there was any difference between using rooting powder and vitamin C. However Geraniums (Pelargoniums) root very easily. The one thing you musn't do is to cover them, as you would with most other...
    I have tried that ClaraLou - I can't say that there was any difference between using rooting powder and vitamin C. However Geraniums (Pelargoniums) root very easily. The one thing you musn't do is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Olivia9801

UREA!!

If you have space in the garden you could try setting aside a small area for growing comfrey and making fertiliser/feed from that. You could also use it as a compost accelerator by adding the...
    If you have space in the garden you could try setting aside a small area for growing comfrey and making fertiliser/feed from that. You could also use it as a compost accelerator by adding the leaves to your bin of lawn cuttings.
    If you have space in the garden you could try setting aside a small area for growing comfrey and making fertiliser/feed from that. You could also use it as a compost accelerator by adding the leaves to your bin of lawn cuttings.
    If you have space in the garden you could try setting aside a small area for growing comfrey and making fertiliser/feed from that. You could also use it as a compost accelerator by adding the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. MrWilson

landscaper needed

Hi ya, I have a friend up in that area & they use this company...& she also said these guys are good.. Cutting Hedge Garden Services Tel : 01416 322816 Mob : 07775 955067I know I am down...
    Hi ya, I have a friend up in that area & they use this company...& she also said these guys are good.. Cutting Hedge Garden Services Tel : 01416 322816 Mob : 07775 955067I know I am down south but these two seem to come with good recomendations so I hope they are some help.. :gnthb:
    Hi ya, I have a friend up in that area & they use this company...& she also said these guys are good.. Cutting Hedge Garden Services Tel : 01416 322816 Mob : 07775 955067I know I am down south but these two seem to come with good...
    Hi ya, I have a friend up in that area & they use this company...& she also said these guys are good.. Cutting Hedge Garden Services Tel : 01416 322816 Mob : 07775 955067I know I am down...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jackcat

Advice sought

honeysuckle, jasmine (make sure its a fast climbing one though - some are super slow) most clematis & passion flowers :-) for the climbers. I also really like sollya hetrophelia - sp? (climbing...
    honeysuckle, jasmine (make sure its a fast climbing one though - some are super slow) most clematis & passion flowers :-) for the climbers. I also really like sollya hetrophelia - sp? (climbing bluebell) but I've tried to grow it two years in a row and its lovely over the summer and autumn, then...
    honeysuckle, jasmine (make sure its a fast climbing one though - some are super slow) most clematis & passion flowers :-) for the climbers. I also really like sollya hetrophelia - sp? (climbing bluebell) but I've tried to grow it two years in a...
    honeysuckle, jasmine (make sure its a fast climbing one though - some are super slow) most clematis & passion flowers :-) for the climbers. I also really like sollya hetrophelia - sp? (climbing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. taffy26

I bought a couple of empty basket-ware conical wall plant holders yesterday

Yes a few drainage holes are required..in case of overwatering or heavy rain. Either way you dont want waterlogged plants. Steve...:)
    Yes a few drainage holes are required..in case of overwatering or heavy rain. Either way you dont want waterlogged plants. Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ClaraLou

Grow-through mesh

I don't know the mesh you are referring to, but if it's similar to the 'bio-degradeable' hairy fibre pots that some small plants (herbs. perennials) are sold in, then I agree with you! These pots...
    I don't know the mesh you are referring to, but if it's similar to the 'bio-degradeable' hairy fibre pots that some small plants (herbs. perennials) are sold in, then I agree with you! These pots are supposed to be planted in the ground, with the plant still in them and will eventually...
    I don't know the mesh you are referring to, but if it's similar to the 'bio-degradeable' hairy fibre pots that some small plants (herbs. perennials) are sold in, then I agree with you! These pots are supposed to be planted in the ground, with the...
    I don't know the mesh you are referring to, but if it's similar to the 'bio-degradeable' hairy fibre pots that some small plants (herbs. perennials) are sold in, then I agree with you! These pots...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice