1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. papajo

Bamboo screening

Maybe, depends how well made the screen is. Some horizontal timbers top & bottom would make sure.
    Maybe, depends how well made the screen is. Some horizontal timbers top & bottom would make sure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Michael Cumming

Bamboo root problem.

It's the thicker rhizomes that can sprout so you need to get those out, the fibrous roots are not so bad.
    It's the thicker rhizomes that can sprout so you need to get those out, the fibrous roots are not so bad.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Eastlondon

Bamboo root barrier

£4.99 from scottish bamboo. even If i keep mine in Multi Purpose Flexi Bucket, it`s easy to move them around if you don`t like the position , plus if drill the hole at 2" on the side of the tab...
    £4.99 from scottish bamboo. even If i keep mine in Multi Purpose Flexi Bucket, it`s easy to move them around if you don`t like the position , plus if drill the hole at 2" on the side of the tab and not at the bottom , that will make a good water controll and the bamboo will be happy even in...
    £4.99 from scottish bamboo. even If i keep mine in Multi Purpose Flexi Bucket, it`s easy to move them around if you don`t like the position , plus if drill the hole at 2" on the side of the tab and not at the bottom , that will make a good...
    £4.99 from scottish bamboo. even If i keep mine in Multi Purpose Flexi Bucket, it`s easy to move them around if you don`t like the position , plus if drill the hole at 2" on the side of the tab...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. 03carrd

Bamboo removal - how far to go?

@03carrdI think that the bamboos priority would be to get a shoot up into the sunlight before it begins to grow much underground. I would be inclined to leave the remaining rhizomes and see if...
    @03carrdI think that the bamboos priority would be to get a shoot up into the sunlight before it begins to grow much underground. I would be inclined to leave the remaining rhizomes and see if they start to grow again, if they do then glyphosate would be the easiest answer.
    @03carrdI think that the bamboos priority would be to get a shoot up into the sunlight before it begins to grow much underground. I would be inclined to leave the remaining rhizomes and see if they start to grow again, if they do then...
    @03carrdI think that the bamboos priority would be to get a shoot up into the sunlight before it begins to grow much underground. I would be inclined to leave the remaining rhizomes and see if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. under par

Bamboo re pot question.

Hi all, I've a large pot containing bamboo. I don't know which varity but can check the weekend if really needed.I've had it in the same pot for years and although I top it up with...
    Hi all, I've a large pot containing bamboo. I don't know which varity but can check the weekend if really needed.I've had it in the same pot for years and although I top it up with multipurpose in the summer its not looking as good as it should.I thought maybe it could do with...
    Hi all, I've a large pot containing bamboo. I don't know which varity but can check the weekend if really needed.I've had it in the same pot for years and although I top it up with multipurpose in the summer its not looking as good as...
    Hi all, I've a large pot containing bamboo. I don't know which varity but can check the weekend if really needed.I've had it in the same pot for years and although I top it up with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Richie4925a

Bamboo question

Be reassured .... if you cut it down it WILL re grow :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. potgirl

Bamboo question

Thanks so much for the advice Marley. Can certainly give it some free reign as there is plenty of space and nothing its competing with. Your tip re a barrier of roof tiles from a friend is...
    Thanks so much for the advice Marley. Can certainly give it some free reign as there is plenty of space and nothing its competing with. Your tip re a barrier of roof tiles from a friend is really useful as we have stacks of them available for use when I feel the time has come to restrict...
    Thanks so much for the advice Marley. Can certainly give it some free reign as there is plenty of space and nothing its competing with. Your tip re a barrier of roof tiles from a friend is really useful as we have stacks of them available for...
    Thanks so much for the advice Marley. Can certainly give it some free reign as there is plenty of space and nothing its competing with. Your tip re a barrier of roof tiles from a friend is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Joan Hanson

bamboo question

If you want a good screening bamboo which is NOT invasive then Nitida is one of the best and looks super For your pot I would recommend one of the dwarfish types which can look very attractive...
    If you want a good screening bamboo which is NOT invasive then Nitida is one of the best and looks super For your pot I would recommend one of the dwarfish types which can look very attractive .... Auricoma is a pretty plant Have a look at some on my website at:
    If you want a good screening bamboo which is NOT invasive then Nitida is one of the best and looks super For your pot I would recommend one of the dwarfish types which can look very attractive .... Auricoma is a pretty plant Have a look at some...
    If you want a good screening bamboo which is NOT invasive then Nitida is one of the best and looks super For your pot I would recommend one of the dwarfish types which can look very attractive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Tim D

Bamboo query

:thumb: Hi Bluedun, yes I chop mine with a spade with no problem, but as I have done this since the 2nd year I planted the clump.. and now I do it monthly I don't have a problem....:thumb:
    :thumb: Hi Bluedun, yes I chop mine with a spade with no problem, but as I have done this since the 2nd year I planted the clump.. and now I do it monthly I don't have a problem....:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. AKULA

Bamboo Q

Just don't plant bamboo at all. I have some in my garden and it's invading everywhere - even going under paths and working its way through 15 inches of gravel!!
    Just don't plant bamboo at all. I have some in my garden and it's invading everywhere - even going under paths and working its way through 15 inches of gravel!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Duffy

Bamboo pruning

I think you are refering to a Trachycarpus fortunei, the palm with dark green leaves, if thats not the plant you meant then let me know or save the pic and draw an arrow on the one you want.If...
    I think you are refering to a Trachycarpus fortunei, the palm with dark green leaves, if thats not the plant you meant then let me know or save the pic and draw an arrow on the one you want.If it is the palm, this is probably the best suited palm for the uk, the only really reliable one and...
    I think you are refering to a Trachycarpus fortunei, the palm with dark green leaves, if thats not the plant you meant then let me know or save the pic and draw an arrow on the one you want.If it is the palm, this is probably the best suited...
    I think you are refering to a Trachycarpus fortunei, the palm with dark green leaves, if thats not the plant you meant then let me know or save the pic and draw an arrow on the one you want.If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lakeside

Bamboo Pruning

Hi Mike.... if it`s a fargesia then leave it , the only thing I can think of is that need repotting and a better position ,consider that it`s only a small plant at the moment and dasn`t take frost...
    Hi Mike.... if it`s a fargesia then leave it , the only thing I can think of is that need repotting and a better position ,consider that it`s only a small plant at the moment and dasn`t take frost as much as an adult plant....keep it in a frost free area of your garden , check the roots if they...
    Hi Mike.... if it`s a fargesia then leave it , the only thing I can think of is that need repotting and a better position ,consider that it`s only a small plant at the moment and dasn`t take frost as much as an adult plant....keep it in a frost...
    Hi Mike.... if it`s a fargesia then leave it , the only thing I can think of is that need repotting and a better position ,consider that it`s only a small plant at the moment and dasn`t take frost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Loofah

Bamboo or kerria?

have both :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. fionaclancy

Bamboo needs saving

thank goodness you were nt left the cat!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Caveman

Bamboo looking a bit rough ....

Bamboo in a pot does tend to struggle. What sort of soil is it in? Can you not try some in the ground? It will be much happier. If not, take this plant out the pot, and take off as much of...
    Bamboo in a pot does tend to struggle. What sort of soil is it in? Can you not try some in the ground? It will be much happier. If not, take this plant out the pot, and take off as much of the existing soil as you can. Then repot in a loam based soil and top dress with an inch or two of...
    Bamboo in a pot does tend to struggle. What sort of soil is it in? Can you not try some in the ground? It will be much happier. If not, take this plant out the pot, and take off as much of the existing soil as you can. Then repot in a loam...
    Bamboo in a pot does tend to struggle. What sort of soil is it in? Can you not try some in the ground? It will be much happier. If not, take this plant out the pot, and take off as much of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. loopy lou

bamboo invading

ok thanks has bean counter - i will give it another spray loopy
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mike77

Bamboo in pots

Clumping is a relative term! With bamboo clumping can mean 4x4m so still a pretty big plant. Mine are in pots but the phyllostachys has never thrived
    Clumping is a relative term! With bamboo clumping can mean 4x4m so still a pretty big plant. Mine are in pots but the phyllostachys has never thrived
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sussexgardener

Bamboo in pots

Here's a potentially crazy idea from someone who doesn't really know what he's on about, but, if drainage is a problem, why not build a slightly raised bed for the bamboo at the location you want...
    Here's a potentially crazy idea from someone who doesn't really know what he's on about, but, if drainage is a problem, why not build a slightly raised bed for the bamboo at the location you want them, then bamboo being a tall plant, put some sort of creeping plant in the same raised bed that...
    Here's a potentially crazy idea from someone who doesn't really know what he's on about, but, if drainage is a problem, why not build a slightly raised bed for the bamboo at the location you want them, then bamboo being a tall plant, put some...
    Here's a potentially crazy idea from someone who doesn't really know what he's on about, but, if drainage is a problem, why not build a slightly raised bed for the bamboo at the location you want...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. cookygirl43

bamboo in pot

Depending on the variety 100''s, you can grow in a pot but within 12 months you may have to go for a bigger size go for a ceramic pot not plastic as it will soon lose its shape with the roots...
    Depending on the variety 100''s, you can grow in a pot but within 12 months you may have to go for a bigger size go for a ceramic pot not plastic as it will soon lose its shape with the roots pushing at the sides , very hungry plants and lots of water during the summer so you cant neglect ,...
    Depending on the variety 100''s, you can grow in a pot but within 12 months you may have to go for a bigger size go for a ceramic pot not plastic as it will soon lose its shape with the roots pushing at the sides , very hungry plants and lots of...
    Depending on the variety 100''s, you can grow in a pot but within 12 months you may have to go for a bigger size go for a ceramic pot not plastic as it will soon lose its shape with the roots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Bamboo-zled

Bamboo identification and next steps...

I don't really know much about bamboos but we have some clumping bamboos that have been there for years and don't seem to spread run. The leaves on yours look a bit larger than ours and I wonder...
    I don't really know much about bamboos but we have some clumping bamboos that have been there for years and don't seem to spread run. The leaves on yours look a bit larger than ours and I wonder whether the size of leaf may indicate a difference. :scratch:
    I don't really know much about bamboos but we have some clumping bamboos that have been there for years and don't seem to spread run. The leaves on yours look a bit larger than ours and I wonder whether the size of leaf may indicate a difference. :scratch:
    I don't really know much about bamboos but we have some clumping bamboos that have been there for years and don't seem to spread run. The leaves on yours look a bit larger than ours and I wonder...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice