1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Identification Area

Have you seen any Pests, Diseases or even any Plants which you cannot work out, what they are ..... Ask in here ..

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 4

Native Trees and Shrubs reference

Sallow or Goat willow, Salix caprea.
    DSCI0002 (6).JPG DSCI0005 (2).JPG DSCI0006 (1).JPG DSCI0008 (3).JPG DSCI0013 (3).JPG DSCI0015.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs

Poisonous Plants - A summary

Excellent words of wisdom our mandy :thumbsup: if only teenage boys were told the same :rasp:And not so teenage boys too I'd imagine :watching:
    Excellent words of wisdom our mandy :thumbsup: if only teenage boys were told the same :rasp:And not so teenage boys too I'd imagine :watching:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Useful x 8

Weed Identification..

Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by...
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by HarrySKnow Your Weeds..Just click the link.. :SUNsmile:
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by HarrySKnow Your Weeds..Just click the link.. :SUNsmile:
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Zigs
    Like x 19

Important Notice, Please Read

check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though,...
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though, always butter & herbs. Oil makes it bitter. Had many a lovely meadow puffball too.
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though, always butter & herbs. Oil makes it bitter. Had many a...
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Snorky85

Is this evening primrose?

Thanks peeps....its got to stay in situe until tomorrow now. At least the long awaited mystery has been solved :)
    Thanks peeps....its got to stay in situe until tomorrow now. At least the long awaited mystery has been solved :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. SimonZ

Wildflower, Hardcastle Crags

@SimonZ looks like Cow parsley Anthriscus sylvestris flowers from spring onwards and yes the insects do love it..
    @SimonZ looks like Cow parsley Anthriscus sylvestris flowers from spring onwards and yes the insects do love it..
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Elina

Id please

Defo a P,um or Greengage in first pic and agree with above ID of second plant..
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. luciusmaximus

What is this please

More likely that a neighbour has had one, and a bird or insect has carried the seed to your plot. Once the flowers are done, a seed pod will form which contains small seeds that are in a sort of...
    More likely that a neighbour has had one, and a bird or insect has carried the seed to your plot. Once the flowers are done, a seed pod will form which contains small seeds that are in a sort of 'ring' - when the seed pod turns brown and dries, they are ready to collect.Another nice one is...
    More likely that a neighbour has had one, and a bird or insect has carried the seed to your plot. Once the flowers are done, a seed pod will form which contains small seeds that are in a sort of 'ring' - when the seed pod turns brown and dries,...
    More likely that a neighbour has had one, and a bird or insect has carried the seed to your plot. Once the flowers are done, a seed pod will form which contains small seeds that are in a sort of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Poly Hive

Pea problem?

Well maybe it is just excess moisture :scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. 2nd_bassoon

Small shrubs

First one is a walnut tree.Second one is cotoneaster, probably Cotoneaster franchetti.
    First one is a walnut tree.Second one is cotoneaster, probably Cotoneaster franchetti.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Scrungee
    Like x 3

Fungi on a tree stump?

I asked John Wright about that, as we were in a local churchard next to a Yew tree at the time, and he thought it wouldn't make any difference. (And that's despite mushrooms being notorious for...
    I asked John Wright about that, as we were in a local churchard next to a Yew tree at the time, and he thought it wouldn't make any difference. (And that's despite mushrooms being notorious for the likes of absorbing high levels of Chernobl radioactivity, herbicides sprayed alongside railway...
    I asked John Wright about that, as we were in a local churchard next to a Yew tree at the time, and he thought it wouldn't make any difference. (And that's despite mushrooms being notorious for the likes of absorbing high levels of Chernobl...
    I asked John Wright about that, as we were in a local churchard next to a Yew tree at the time, and he thought it wouldn't make any difference. (And that's despite mushrooms being notorious for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Elina

Id please

No 2 looks like Lobularia to me. Formerly known as Alyssum or Sweet Alyssum.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Snorky85

ID needed please :)

Lol haven't found any of that "special" weed growing like we did this time last year!!!!
    Lol haven't found any of that "special" weed growing like we did this time last year!!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Bradshaw_John

Euphorbia Stigamentis

I suspect that the label is wrong. A photo or two would be helpful please. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Darren2993

Plant/Weed/Tree identification please

This is a Hawthorne seedling i found, yours has shiney leaves so would say yours is Blackthorn..
    This is a Hawthorne seedling i found, yours has shiney leaves so would say yours is Blackthorn..
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. MFJones

Stump at back of garden

As it has obviously been there for some time, there is a good chance you will finish it off if you move it ....mind you, I think it could be worth investing in a new plant anyway, so why not cut...
    As it has obviously been there for some time, there is a good chance you will finish it off if you move it ....mind you, I think it could be worth investing in a new plant anyway, so why not cut your losses and take a trip to the garden centre. It would give you a bit of space to do some soil...
    As it has obviously been there for some time, there is a good chance you will finish it off if you move it ....mind you, I think it could be worth investing in a new plant anyway, so why not cut your losses and take a trip to the garden centre. ...
    As it has obviously been there for some time, there is a good chance you will finish it off if you move it ....mind you, I think it could be worth investing in a new plant anyway, so why not cut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Elina

Id please

Second one is a Corkscrew Bay Tree.The first one is a Gladiolus
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. silu
    Like x 3

Appeared from nowhere

They are not super-common and I reckon you'd have to be on the lookout for unusual plants to spot one.
    They are not super-common and I reckon you'd have to be on the lookout for unusual plants to spot one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Fat Controller

Wee trees & a weed/plant ID

Well, it appears I do now! :biggrin:There could well be, as there are loads of trees in the back gardens around here - we get loads of wildlife visitors too, mostly as we encourage them - we don't...
    Well, it appears I do now! :biggrin:There could well be, as there are loads of trees in the back gardens around here - we get loads of wildlife visitors too, mostly as we encourage them - we don't encourage them to plant stuff though
    Well, it appears I do now! :biggrin:There could well be, as there are loads of trees in the back gardens around here - we get loads of wildlife visitors too, mostly as we encourage them - we don't encourage them to plant stuff though
    Well, it appears I do now! :biggrin:There could well be, as there are loads of trees in the back gardens around here - we get loads of wildlife visitors too, mostly as we encourage them - we don't...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. AcerJim

What are these pests on my chinese wisteria I think

Sorry mate it's a bit too blurred to say.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. BeginnerBalconyBotanist

ID these 2 perennials please

The first one looks like penstemon and the 2nd one definitely an eryngium. Bees love the latter, but be careful, they self-seed all over your lawn.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    The first one looks like penstemon and the 2nd one definitely an eryngium. Bees love the latter, but be careful, they self-seed all over your lawn.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. HarryS
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Ses

Another plant, weed or keeper??

Hi guys :-D I googled honeysuckle and found this photo, it looks like the leaves and the stems. If it flowers like this I'll be well chuffed ;-) all the photo has on it though is the location, in...
    Hi guys :-D I googled honeysuckle and found this photo, it looks like the leaves and the stems. If it flowers like this I'll be well chuffed ;-) all the photo has on it though is the location, in Italy lol maybe that's why it's not flowered!! Should I feed it and see if that helps it flower, or...
    Hi guys :-D I googled honeysuckle and found this photo, it looks like the leaves and the stems. If it flowers like this I'll be well chuffed ;-) all the photo has on it though is the location, in Italy lol maybe that's why it's not...
    Hi guys :-D I googled honeysuckle and found this photo, it looks like the leaves and the stems. If it flowers like this I'll be well chuffed ;-) all the photo has on it though is the location, in...
    20170708_160447.jpg 20170708_160450.jpg 20170708_203810.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Mowerman

What's This?

Ah, not a laurel then. You need @Silver surfer
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options