1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Nicola123

Zero experience and have a really basic question about soil

Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Markyboy

Zebra Grass ( Miscanthus)

We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge...
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge cutter.Some of the less dense grasses I snap the stems off instead of cutting.
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge cutter.Some of the less dense grasses I snap the stems...
    We've done all ours. :dbgrtmb: Have good look first to see whether the new shoots are visible and then cut just above them. We always do ours early as there's so much that we have to use a hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. KatLeb

Young wisteria training

Should be covered in no time!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NigelJ

Young Tayberry ~ leaves turning dull green and purple

Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Many thx for your reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. luciusmaximus

Young Honeysuckle and Clematis

maybe doesn't like the spot where you positioned it? Too much water?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. mogcat22

Yet another unknown bush!

Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Stuart_F

Yellow-brown leaves on rhododendron

OK, so best to acclimatise it gradually, its also not used to outdoor conditions either, so best to take it slowly.
    OK, so best to acclimatise it gradually, its also not used to outdoor conditions either, so best to take it slowly.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "M"

Year round window box suggestions, please.

Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls,...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls, can be used in hanging baskets.Grows 2" high and 18/24" wide/long.Flowers May to October.Likes...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls, can be used in hanging baskets.Grows 2" high and...
    Cymbalaria Muralis also known as Antirrhinum Hederaceum or Antirrhinum Hederifolium.Common names Kenilworth Ivy, Creeping Toadflax or Ivy leaved Toadflax.Likes growing over rocks or in walls,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mazambo

Woody Lavender

@Verdun :blue thumb:
    20181013_124130.jpg 20181013_174000.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. portoman

Wood Treatment for New Planters - Ideas please!

I'm the proud owner of a deep fat fryer, so I buy those 5 litre containers of sunflower oil to fill it up.
    I'm the proud owner of a deep fat fryer, so I buy those 5 litre containers of sunflower oil to fill it up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Christos

Wood for raised beds

The notion of raised beds is hardly a new one. I remember my Dad (God rest his soul) was a great believer of banking-up his veg patch, always quoting “drainage”. Most folks don’t have the luxury...
    The notion of raised beds is hardly a new one. I remember my Dad (God rest his soul) was a great believer of banking-up his veg patch, always quoting “drainage”. Most folks don’t have the luxury of large gardens, with separate veg patches, so being aesthetically pleasing is an important...
    The notion of raised beds is hardly a new one. I remember my Dad (God rest his soul) was a great believer of banking-up his veg patch, always quoting “drainage”. Most folks don’t have the luxury of large gardens, with separate veg patches, so...
    The notion of raised beds is hardly a new one. I remember my Dad (God rest his soul) was a great believer of banking-up his veg patch, always quoting “drainage”. Most folks don’t have the luxury...
    510EE5BF-3D51-4CD0-809C-9F764D2F687C.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Weedstoo

Wood chippings?

That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but there's a growing realisation that both groups depend heavily on a third, often overlooked group, the...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but there's a growing realisation that both groups...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Octopus Prime

wood ash and urine?

It's good for the soil but if you leave it out in the rain the chemicals start to leach out of it. So you want it in situ as soon as possible. Even small amounts are good. So just throw it on...
    It's good for the soil but if you leave it out in the rain the chemicals start to leach out of it. So you want it in situ as soon as possible. Even small amounts are good. So just throw it on the beds as soon as it has cooled down.I get quite a lot because I have a lot to burn, but it does...
    It's good for the soil but if you leave it out in the rain the chemicals start to leach out of it. So you want it in situ as soon as possible. Even small amounts are good. So just throw it on the beds as soon as it has cooled down.I get...
    It's good for the soil but if you leave it out in the rain the chemicals start to leach out of it. So you want it in situ as soon as possible. Even small amounts are good. So just throw it on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Scoffy

Wood ash

Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've put quite a lot on my veggie patch, we have clay soil which is obviously very heavy, an old man...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've put quite a lot on my veggie patch, we have clay...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. blacktulip

Without any experience, I am facing a ruined garden

It's about 120 - 150 sq. metres . Quite a large area
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ThePlantAssassin

Wisteria just not growing....why not?

Yes I think I know why Cindy. :)Wisteria are hungry....nay greedy ...plants. They need room to grow....plenty of room....so growing in containers is not ideal. The one growing here has huge...
    Yes I think I know why Cindy. :)Wisteria are hungry....nay greedy ...plants. They need room to grow....plenty of room....so growing in containers is not ideal. The one growing here has huge allotted space in the garden and it grows and grows hence the need for pruning. John innes is good but I...
    Yes I think I know why Cindy. :)Wisteria are hungry....nay greedy ...plants. They need room to grow....plenty of room....so growing in containers is not ideal. The one growing here has huge allotted space in the garden and it grows and grows...
    Yes I think I know why Cindy. :)Wisteria are hungry....nay greedy ...plants. They need room to grow....plenty of room....so growing in containers is not ideal. The one growing here has huge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. BSummers

Wisteria Frutescens HELP

Thank you for sound advice. Will let you know how i get on .
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Stigofthe

Wisteria advice.

Thanks @pete I would do it differently but....all is well..
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lucie

Wisteria

Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower buds are formed, and that might encourage it to produce some/many! whilst "recovering".Additionally...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower buds are formed, and that might encourage it to...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Soiled

Wisteria

Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice