1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. McTavish14

can i transplant Pieris

Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub and a fair doze for the other 2. Having gone to the effort of moving the shrubs it's worth a few...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub and a fair doze for the other 2. Having gone to...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. froot

Senetti info please!

It died back over the winter months so frost wasn't really a problem Froot. However, the islands winter temperatures rarely drop into minus figures. :)
    It died back over the winter months so frost wasn't really a problem Froot. However, the islands winter temperatures rarely drop into minus figures. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R
    Like x 17

What to do in your garden right now..!

Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any advice re trimming as I've no experience with plants...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Fyfy K

Can you plant things under a leylandii hedge?

Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side, which is what it should be getting if it's a...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side,...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Smudgedhorizon

Heavy clay drainage help

Mattocks are brilliant. See if you can find an old one though. I think the newer ones are inferior in their design, if not their quality.
    Mattocks are brilliant. See if you can find an old one though. I think the newer ones are inferior in their design, if not their quality.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Penfold

Looking for a smelly plant...

They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door the other way, who somehow managed to convince the DSA to give them a driving license despite the...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door the other way, who somehow managed to convince the...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wren1

Bugs on lupins

I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her...
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her Buckingham Palace's roses. I've heard milk and water works as a natural fungicide for mildew.
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her Buckingham Palace's roses. I've heard milk and water...
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Roy22

Feeding & Pruning a year old Cherry Laurel hedge.

Yes, it's natural for the stems to spread in different directions. With trimming these will all eventually form your nice neat hedge. :)I think I would locate the tallest and shortest stems and...
    Yes, it's natural for the stems to spread in different directions. With trimming these will all eventually form your nice neat hedge. :)I think I would locate the tallest and shortest stems and trim the tops to the middle of that measurement unless there's a great distance between them. Another...
    Yes, it's natural for the stems to spread in different directions. With trimming these will all eventually form your nice neat hedge. :)I think I would locate the tallest and shortest stems and trim the tops to the middle of that measurement...
    Yes, it's natural for the stems to spread in different directions. With trimming these will all eventually form your nice neat hedge. :)I think I would locate the tallest and shortest stems and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MRishi

planting through weed membrane

Same goes for using a Stanley knife as well :blue thumb:.Once again, it's a matter of bending. I find it's easier and an inch or two less bending when using the knife. It's amazing how much that extra...
    Same goes for using a Stanley knife as well :blue thumb:.Once again, it's a matter of bending. I find it's easier and an inch or two less bending when using the knife. It's amazing how much that extra couple of inches less bending is better for a bad back. I then leave all the planting to Mrs Shiney. :wub2:
    Same goes for using a Stanley knife as well :blue thumb:.Once again, it's a matter of bending. I find it's easier and an inch or two less bending when using the knife. It's amazing how much that extra couple of inches less bending is better for a bad...
    Same goes for using a Stanley knife as well :blue thumb:.Once again, it's a matter of bending. I find it's easier and an inch or two less bending when using the knife. It's amazing how much that extra...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. boutetm

my broom plant is dying. Why?

I've got a large Broom in a planter which has been there for years. It's been potted on a couple of times. They're tough plants but don't like too much water. How often have you been watering it?
    I've got a large Broom in a planter which has been there for years. It's been potted on a couple of times. They're tough plants but don't like too much water. How often have you been watering it?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. small_vee

Planting near a drain cover

I agree, Sheal, which is which I said:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. toppington

Bedding plants snail/slugs won't eat!

:heehee:I won't tell them its down to you :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Barders

New fence panels, do I really need to pre-treat?

Thank you for the welcome and advice, I am REALLY pleased I found you all :love30:
    Thank you for the welcome and advice, I am REALLY pleased I found you all :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hadron

Can anyone recommend a good electric saw?

Knew that they'd come up with good advice Hadron. Such a great bunch of members here on GC .... :dbgrtmb:, Jenny namaste
    Knew that they'd come up with good advice Hadron. Such a great bunch of members here on GC .... :dbgrtmb:, Jenny namaste
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tara Jane

Seed sowing for beginners

I know. We had removed Sweet Peas from the pyramid pot and I found a packet of seeds I had overlooked, so I stuck them in. You don't know until you try!
    I know. We had removed Sweet Peas from the pyramid pot and I found a packet of seeds I had overlooked, so I stuck them in. You don't know until you try!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. jezzwhizz

Overgrown magnolia

I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is regular and I wonder what I would do if in their...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close to them.The floors are cracking, flooding is...
    I know of a couple who own a double cottage swamped with a massive wisteria. Looks wonderful in spring. They also have a woodland setting there with lots of big shrubs and trees extremely close...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. larkstar
    Like x 4

Tree planting (4m spread after 20 years) - how close to fence?

@larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than we can shake a stick:redx: at im sure :heehee: but very few will admit to it :whistle: but we all know it happens ;):goodpost: (s) ...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than we can shake a stick:redx: at im sure :heehee: but very few...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. martin-f

Bamboo

This is how there's are...so they could be taller :phew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sally Parker

Hydrangea Cutting Wilted....

Thanks for advice. Cut off the larger leaf earlier and left the bag off for most of today, as it was very cool in the room it is in. It's warmer now though, so have put the bag pack on. Pete, a...
    Thanks for advice. Cut off the larger leaf earlier and left the bag off for most of today, as it was very cool in the room it is in. It's warmer now though, so have put the bag pack on. Pete, a bottle's not really a good idea as it will most likely touch the plant, so think I'll stick with...
    Thanks for advice. Cut off the larger leaf earlier and left the bag off for most of today, as it was very cool in the room it is in. It's warmer now though, so have put the bag pack on. Pete, a bottle's not really a good idea as it will most...
    Thanks for advice. Cut off the larger leaf earlier and left the bag off for most of today, as it was very cool in the room it is in. It's warmer now though, so have put the bag pack on. Pete, a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sally2017

Polygala Myrtifolia advice and help please

Thank you for the advice - I think it's definitely a pruning job - apparently they like acidic soil too so may Investigate that to see if helps new growth.
    Thank you for the advice - I think it's definitely a pruning job - apparently they like acidic soil too so may Investigate that to see if helps new growth.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice