1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Gn0me

Don't know what to do now - Clamatis & Forsythia done for?

You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them....
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them. Leave some stems of clematis as @noisette47 suggests and see what comes. You might add your choice...
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them. Leave some stems of clematis as @noisette47...
    You may find that the root systems are extensive, making total removal a major job. My thoughts are that you could get a tree surgeon type to remove the top and dispose, a smallish task for them....
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Kgbow

Where to start?!

We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled...
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled the parts of the field that were very ridged.The shed is now clear and mostly spider free apart...
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled the parts of the field that were very ridged....
    We have had a LOT done in the last week.Another pal of mine has a mini digger. So we decided it would be best to pull the ivy out... we cleared so much land with that thing. We also levelled...
    IMG_7639.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Barders

Cut back a hardy fuchsia to move it?

I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem...
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem though, just seems a waste.
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem though, just seems a waste.
    I've found fuchsias bleed if you prune them in spring, fine if you are just removing dead wood but if you cut into hard wood the sap runs for a few days. Not really noticed it causes real problem...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Funkydad

How to take cuttings from plant

Sorry to get back so late. Many thanks for the replies and advice. Wasn't sure how the multi-quote worked.
    Sorry to get back so late. Many thanks for the replies and advice. Wasn't sure how the multi-quote worked.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Ayrshirebirder

Liverwort and very wet soil

Yes very wet and very compacted . Acidic soil also . I came from chalky Buckinghamshire so this is all new to me . Lol
    Yes very wet and very compacted . Acidic soil also . I came from chalky Buckinghamshire so this is all new to me . Lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Adam1303

Diy organic fertilisers/soil conditioner

Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large enough garden are you going to reserve part for typical soil treatment to use a a reference against...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large enough garden are you going to reserve part for...
    Very interesting, from your comments it sounds like there is a growing community around this subject, expect its developed from things like the No Dig and Organic methods.If you have a large...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Chapster

Tomato and potato leaves unhealthy

@Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few...
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few more weeks.
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few more weeks.
    @Chapster I would definitely say they have been affected by blight. Best to do as advised above. As long as you take care not to dig up any of the potatoes they will be fine underground for a few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Judy1979

Black Narcissus….. when I can prune

Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But...
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But not grown this plant, so only a thought.
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But not grown this plant, so only a thought.
    Also its occurred to me that oif the intention is for flowers? Then maybe pruning should actually take place after flowering, anything during later times is likely to cut off flowering wood. But...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Bob Spade

Mystery Monster

Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to make Marshmallows a confection. Sorry I failed to give an indication of the leaf size Pete, will try...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to make Marshmallows a confection. Sorry I failed to...
    Thanks to both for your replies. After a little research Pete I do believe it is a Common Mallow. Just browsing online I notice that the plant roots from the Marsh Mallow were formerly used to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Starzy84

Mushrooms?

As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Cat_On_Track

Unhappy Rhododendron?

You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in...
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in North America which are lime tolerant.
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in North America which are lime tolerant.
    You can get ericaceous JI compost, but I'd still mix it with either peat or a standard ericaceous compost. I was under the impression that there are a certain group of Rhodos that originate in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Cat_On_Track

Potted hydrangea petiolaris

Thanks for the advice! Will get a larger pot this weekend and will keep well watered against a shaded wall. :)
    Thanks for the advice! Will get a larger pot this weekend and will keep well watered against a shaded wall. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Karen1986

Honeysuckle dying?

@Karen1986 I didn't know if mine would come back, but I thought either it would come back and might look better (which has happened) or it wouldn't return and I could plant something else that...
    @Karen1986 I didn't know if mine would come back, but I thought either it would come back and might look better (which has happened) or it wouldn't return and I could plant something else that might be happier there.
    @Karen1986 I didn't know if mine would come back, but I thought either it would come back and might look better (which has happened) or it wouldn't return and I could plant something else that might be happier there.
    @Karen1986 I didn't know if mine would come back, but I thought either it would come back and might look better (which has happened) or it wouldn't return and I could plant something else that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Karen1986

Tips for NE facing garden

Thanks all for your advice! Plenty to take on now
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Barders

Huge Hollyhocks, but very few flowers opening :0(

Thank you @john558 I realise that I don't even know how they are supposed to look :doh:I will go and deadhead them now, thank you :dbgrtmb:
    Thank you @john558 I realise that I don't even know how they are supposed to look :doh:I will go and deadhead them now, thank you :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. tricky4511

wild garden

It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as wild roses (also called briar) and many others. :)
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Tara Jane

Help with echinacea

They are such contented looking fellows. Like they are looking up at the sky and and saying “ah, lovely!”
    They are such contented looking fellows. Like they are looking up at the sky and and saying “ah, lovely!”
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. GaGa73

What type of cucumber do I have?

I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the...
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the fruit became misshapen and bitter. That's why they bred all female types.
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the fruit became misshapen and bitter. That's why they...
    I agree, it was always the case that ridge types, (outdoor), needed to be pollinated whereas growing the older varieties of greenhouse types you had to remove all male flowers, otherwise the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Miss_B

Help with my hydrangeas!

Thanks for your reply.when I bought them, they all looked the same and had pink and purple flowers and dark green leaves.I haven’t been feeding them so I will start doing that and see if...
    Thanks for your reply.when I bought them, they all looked the same and had pink and purple flowers and dark green leaves.I haven’t been feeding them so I will start doing that and see if that helps. Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.when I bought them, they all looked the same and had pink and purple flowers and dark green leaves.I haven’t been feeding them so I will start doing that and see if that helps. Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.when I bought them, they all looked the same and had pink and purple flowers and dark green leaves.I haven’t been feeding them so I will start doing that and see if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Holly1

Time and climate for aubergine plugs

I agree with pete, it's too late to get a crop outside. I've grown them in my greenhouse and planted in May, even then they were pretty late to fruit.
    I agree with pete, it's too late to get a crop outside. I've grown them in my greenhouse and planted in May, even then they were pretty late to fruit.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice