1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Paul B

Cutting back a hedge

Many thanks to all those who have contributed.I think the suggestion of Prunus lusitanica is the closest species match thus far. The fine details match and overall it does have a laurel-like...
    Many thanks to all those who have contributed.I think the suggestion of Prunus lusitanica is the closest species match thus far. The fine details match and overall it does have a laurel-like appearance.Spring seems like the best idea for a heavy prune - thanks @WeeTam and I will probably...
    Many thanks to all those who have contributed.I think the suggestion of Prunus lusitanica is the closest species match thus far. The fine details match and overall it does have a laurel-like appearance.Spring seems like the best idea for a...
    Many thanks to all those who have contributed.I think the suggestion of Prunus lusitanica is the closest species match thus far. The fine details match and overall it does have a laurel-like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. John Dalrymple
    Like x 9

Birds at last!

Love the garden John, it's great to have a nice garden, it makes it much much nicer when what we do benefits nature in all it's forms.
    Love the garden John, it's great to have a nice garden, it makes it much much nicer when what we do benefits nature in all it's forms.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Outlander

Is it time to prune Rosa Mundii Rose?

Thanks @Clare G So basically a quick tidy up the prune properly Jan/Feb. I might leave it until the rain stops at least. :)
    Thanks @Clare G So basically a quick tidy up the prune properly Jan/Feb. I might leave it until the rain stops at least. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. TKM

Help identify this please?

Ok great, thanks!
    Ok great, thanks!
    Ok great, thanks!
    Ok great, thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. kelton2000

Leaf eaters?

Looks like caterpillars or possibly slugs. I'd not worry too much at this late stage in the season, but if you go out at night with a torch you might find the culprit.
    Looks like caterpillars or possibly slugs. I'd not worry too much at this late stage in the season, but if you go out at night with a torch you might find the culprit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. KatLeb

Young wisteria training

Should be covered in no time!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. James Allison

Just moved in... I don't know what to do!

?? If you're going to use weedkiller just do it at the start and be done with it!
    ?? If you're going to use weedkiller just do it at the start and be done with it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Mane

Garden beds and flower seeds to grow in Oct

Appreciate your help and ideas to learn
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ET1911

HELP! Where do I even begin?!

Right, I'm off to cut my lawns.......the softness underfoot, that smell, those stripes, the satisfaction, and it is such a beautifully sunny day too :snorky:
    Right, I'm off to cut my lawns.......the softness underfoot, that smell, those stripes, the satisfaction, and it is such a beautifully sunny day too :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Outlander

Cosmos

I have grown cosmos as very large plants. By potting on regularly into 5 litre or 10 litre pots eventually planting out, stopping shoots and preventing flowering until mid summer cosmos will make...
    I have grown cosmos as very large plants. By potting on regularly into 5 litre or 10 litre pots eventually planting out, stopping shoots and preventing flowering until mid summer cosmos will make superb September and autumn plants. They can be tied in against a warm wall, fence etc., to make...
    I have grown cosmos as very large plants. By potting on regularly into 5 litre or 10 litre pots eventually planting out, stopping shoots and preventing flowering until mid summer cosmos will make superb September and autumn plants. They can be...
    I have grown cosmos as very large plants. By potting on regularly into 5 litre or 10 litre pots eventually planting out, stopping shoots and preventing flowering until mid summer cosmos will make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. LizG

Advice needed re: privet hedge

Agree Redwing. Privet is easy, tough and, when trimmed well, is attractive. I grow a yellow variety which is a delightful plant :)
    Agree Redwing. Privet is easy, tough and, when trimmed well, is attractive. I grow a yellow variety which is a delightful plant :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. enginestar

What length rake do I need?

Ha ha, never thought about burglars. Good lateral thinking :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. enginestar

What Hoselock adapter do I need?

haven't bought the adapter yet! going to the shops today. i know it will work though
    haven't bought the adapter yet! going to the shops today. i know it will work though
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. olibongo

cape gooseberry

no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    no non what's so ever
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. LukasRayzor

Another Newbie needing help from the elders - Privet Hedge

If it were me i would seriously look into reducing the lower l Branches on that chestnut tree. Its badly reducing the light available to the privet hence the top growth as its looking for light....
    If it were me i would seriously look into reducing the lower l Branches on that chestnut tree. Its badly reducing the light available to the privet hence the top growth as its looking for light. It could end up leggy if you dont get more light to it. I would give it a good feed in springtime,and...
    If it were me i would seriously look into reducing the lower l Branches on that chestnut tree. Its badly reducing the light available to the privet hence the top growth as its looking for light. It could end up leggy if you dont get more light to...
    If it were me i would seriously look into reducing the lower l Branches on that chestnut tree. Its badly reducing the light available to the privet hence the top growth as its looking for light....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Andy_g

What is this please?

Good one :dbgrtmb:My first thought was Lysimachia but although the leaves are also lanceolate they tend to be opposite and not alternate.
    Good one :dbgrtmb:My first thought was Lysimachia but although the leaves are also lanceolate they tend to be opposite and not alternate.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Amy Willshire

Choosing plants

What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii,...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii, lovely flowers for bees followed by berries, with dense and prickly foliage to provide safe nesting...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii, lovely flowers for bees followed by berries, with...
    What a lovely garden you're going to have there, and the pond will be great for wildlife.Plant ideas that will provide habitats for wildlife and be good for bees could be Berberis Darwinii,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Peter Thompson

Pumpkins sending out 'runners'

To get decent sized pumpkins I would expect the plants to have really long runners on ,by now, especially bearing in mind the weather this year, up to now. Would also expect there to be some...
    To get decent sized pumpkins I would expect the plants to have really long runners on ,by now, especially bearing in mind the weather this year, up to now. Would also expect there to be some swelling fruits at this stage.;) Not TOO late I guess, but things need to get a move on.
    To get decent sized pumpkins I would expect the plants to have really long runners on ,by now, especially bearing in mind the weather this year, up to now. Would also expect there to be some swelling fruits at this stage.;) Not TOO late I guess,...
    To get decent sized pumpkins I would expect the plants to have really long runners on ,by now, especially bearing in mind the weather this year, up to now. Would also expect there to be some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. KTSJ

New Gardener out of my depth!

Taking shape KTSJ :) Forget the grass....it will recover quickly enough. We had a couple of days of heavy rain last week and it was enough to restore a lot of greenery down here:)
    Taking shape KTSJ :) Forget the grass....it will recover quickly enough. We had a couple of days of heavy rain last week and it was enough to restore a lot of greenery down here:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lisa J C

Asparagus from seed - help!

Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to harvest some, but you do need to keep the plants very well spaced in the pot. Should be fun though,...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to harvest some, but you do need to keep the plants...
    Asparagus develops a massive root system once it gets established and an established bed takes a great deal of effort to dig out when one wants to get rid of it. You will in due course be able to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice