1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Kostas

Transplanting small leafed Magnolia Satisfaction

Hello everyone,New to gardening here and one of the first plants to arrive is a small Magnolia Satisfaction. It arrived with a label to not transplant before its well leafed since spring was...
    Hello everyone,New to gardening here and one of the first plants to arrive is a small Magnolia Satisfaction. It arrived with a label to not transplant before its well leafed since spring was late this year.I think there is a lot of mulch all around its pot,i cant see any soil. Kept if...
    Hello everyone,New to gardening here and one of the first plants to arrive is a small Magnolia Satisfaction. It arrived with a label to not transplant before its well leafed since spring was late this year.I think there is a lot of mulch...
    Hello everyone,New to gardening here and one of the first plants to arrive is a small Magnolia Satisfaction. It arrived with a label to not transplant before its well leafed since spring was...
    BE20083F-DE80-415E-8D9C-ED4253C2498B.jpeg E411BC54-45B2-4E7F-91C1-1BEEB8EAF05B.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Sally Parker

Very Quick Draining, But Poor Nutrient Dry Soil....How to Improve???

I am in South Somerset.I used some well rotted horse manure for the first time this year, back in early spring and will try to do so again in autumn.
    I am in South Somerset.I used some well rotted horse manure for the first time this year, back in early spring and will try to do so again in autumn.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Outlander

Osteospermum

Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better position before planting.
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kevin Cowans

How do I know what kind of soil I have?

Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and...
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and order from there.ThanksKevin
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and order from there.ThanksKevin
    Hello @JWKThanks for the reply.I will steer clear of the push in testers then, it was more for convenience than anything as I do not tend to leave the house much.I will search online and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Peter Thompson

Kale getting too big for poly tunnel

I thought Kale was a winter vegetable.:scratch: Not that I've ever grown it.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Craig Chesworth

Grass seed

Seeds need good contact with the soil. The larger the seed the deeper it can be covered as a rule of thumb. Some seed and cover lightly, some put soil down, spread seed and then lightly rake them in.
    Seeds need good contact with the soil. The larger the seed the deeper it can be covered as a rule of thumb. Some seed and cover lightly, some put soil down, spread seed and then lightly rake them in.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Captain Autumn

Calling Radish Rescue...calling Radish Rescue.. come in please...

@Captain Autumn - More info here: Post pictures of your radishes here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. All dead

Everything's sad?

You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit...
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit strong for young plants.
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit strong for young plants.
    You say that you have some manure. Definitely don't plant directly into that. Manure needs to be dug in to the soil as you can't be sure of how well rotted it is. sometimes it can be a bit...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Anne Knowles

Tap connector

No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    No problem happy to help
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Kevin Cowans

Six Shrubs in an 18' Border

HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately I have no one that can help me which is why I am going to have to get someone in to do the work for...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately I have no one that can help me which is why I am...
    HelloThanks for the reply.I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)Unfortunately...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Charliehp1980

Help

Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no harm in trying to train it down by using garden twine to tie some of the overhanging ends to the...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no harm in trying to train it down by using garden...
    Hi Charlie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:I am not sure what the plant is atop your fence, but unless it is some sort of clematis like montana, I reckon you will struggle to get it to grow downwards - no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans

Best time to Prune 'hydrangea petiolaris' in order to replace fence panel

Hello TettersThanks for the advice, much appreciated.Kevin
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kevin Cowans

How to rejuvinate a Mock Orange Shrub

HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later,...
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later, starting with these shrubs.ThanksKevin
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later, starting with these shrubs.ThanksKevin
    HelloThanks for the reply.Actually 15 years may be slightly conservative :)Due to poor health the garden has been neglected for a while but I am determined to get on top of it sooner or later,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. gardener86

Aloe vera plant

Hi and Welcome to GC I use Cacti potting compost for mine, don't let it dry out completely, but have a read here as this is what my USA friend sent me a link to a while back.. Aloe Vera
    Hi and Welcome to GC I use Cacti potting compost for mine, don't let it dry out completely, but have a read here as this is what my USA friend sent me a link to a while back.. Aloe Vera
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. hmltnangel

Two Large Full Sun Beds.....what to plant?

So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited)...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited) bloom period. Maybe a good hardy Fuchsia, a Jasmine and perennial Sweet Pea arch and bulbs/corms/tubers...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited) bloom period. Maybe a good hardy Fuchsia, a Jasmine...
    So unless you're at altitude your winter lows are probably not dissimilar to mine here in the Cotswolds?Then shrubs are probably not the best idea as they tend to have a specific (limited)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Rhydian

Asparagus Surprise

Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not tasted any as they need two years to settle in....
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in their needs. My bed is on its second year so still not...
    Yes it is asparagus @Rhydian but if you are only getting one spear each year not sure if you could get more. You could try moving it but it is the wrong time of year now. They are specific in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sally Parker

Flashing Lights - Dianthus in Orange?

I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing lights'' is a deep pinky red.Having just read that back, it sounds a bit like a double dutch tongue...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing lights'' is a deep pinky red.Having just read that...
    I grow ''flashing lights'' and it is not orange - there is another one called ''Brilliant - or Brilliance'' and although it also has reddish flowers they are a more orangey red. ''Flashing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sally Parker

Will they be ok???

Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Oh, thanks pete, will give them a very good water every day as we've got a good few dry, sunny days coming up!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kevin Cowans

Getting Shrubs under control

Hello allHere are the pictures, five in all starting from the left and going round the garden ending at the house back wall.ThanksKevin
    Hello allHere are the pictures, five in all starting from the left and going round the garden ending at the house back wall.ThanksKevin
    2018-05-12 14.16.58.jpg 2018-05-12 16.53.58.jpg 2018-05-12 16.54.12.jpg 2018-05-12 16.54.22.jpg 2018-05-12 16.54.34.jpg 2018-05-12 16.54.37.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. sandhun

How to create height and separation

Maybe this would be a good time to start looking for the right nurseries! Where are you based? If you can find nurseries where they actually grow plants (rather than import them in their...
    Maybe this would be a good time to start looking for the right nurseries! Where are you based? If you can find nurseries where they actually grow plants (rather than import them in their hundreds) you will save money. Another good idea is an area set aside for propagation. Cuttings are not...
    Maybe this would be a good time to start looking for the right nurseries! Where are you based? If you can find nurseries where they actually grow plants (rather than import them in their hundreds) you will save money. Another good idea is an...
    Maybe this would be a good time to start looking for the right nurseries! Where are you based? If you can find nurseries where they actually grow plants (rather than import them in their...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice