1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Sally Parker

Rosebay Willow Herb and Space Filling plants...

Thanks for all the replies! :)I do like it too, it is a pretty plant, but I was just worried about it taking over the garden! So will remove spent flower heads before they go to seed.I think I...
    Thanks for all the replies! :)I do like it too, it is a pretty plant, but I was just worried about it taking over the garden! So will remove spent flower heads before they go to seed.I think I saw a Hawk Moth Caterpillar last year, it was really pretty!
    Thanks for all the replies! :)I do like it too, it is a pretty plant, but I was just worried about it taking over the garden! So will remove spent flower heads before they go to seed.I think I saw a Hawk Moth Caterpillar last year, it was...
    Thanks for all the replies! :)I do like it too, it is a pretty plant, but I was just worried about it taking over the garden! So will remove spent flower heads before they go to seed.I think I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Goku

Blackfly Infestation On Cherry Tree/Growing Parsley.

I have the same problem with Stella. I try to keep on top of it by having a birdfeeder hanging in the tree all year to attract the tits who while waiting their turn at the feeder eat a few...
    I have the same problem with Stella. I try to keep on top of it by having a birdfeeder hanging in the tree all year to attract the tits who while waiting their turn at the feeder eat a few aphids....that's the theory. Also I pick off any infested leaves or shoots as soon as I see signs of...
    I have the same problem with Stella. I try to keep on top of it by having a birdfeeder hanging in the tree all year to attract the tits who while waiting their turn at the feeder eat a few aphids....that's the theory. Also I pick off any...
    I have the same problem with Stella. I try to keep on top of it by having a birdfeeder hanging in the tree all year to attract the tits who while waiting their turn at the feeder eat a few...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Ella17

Greengage problem

Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle -...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle - obviously we should be trying to thin it out in the centre. We have just bought a lovely little...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle - obviously we should be trying to thin it out in the...
    Thank you so much for the pruning information. It is very useful to know what we should be aiming for! Last year we lost a lot of fruit because the tree seemed very congested in the middle -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. martin-f

Bamboo

This is how there's are...so they could be taller :phew:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. LinzJ13

New Gardener, New Bed

Here we go.(First attempt at a photo on here!)
    9B78CA83-3443-4D72-B3AC-97B2480B7ADD.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Elina

How to save tulips and blue bells bulbs

I leave all my bulbs in the ground . The few Tulips I have in large containers I let die back for as long as I can . When I need to plant up the container for summer , I lift the bulbs and stems...
    I leave all my bulbs in the ground . The few Tulips I have in large containers I let die back for as long as I can . When I need to plant up the container for summer , I lift the bulbs and stems and lay them in trays covered with damp compost. A month later I clean the bulbs off and store them...
    I leave all my bulbs in the ground . The few Tulips I have in large containers I let die back for as long as I can . When I need to plant up the container for summer , I lift the bulbs and stems and lay them in trays covered with damp compost. A...
    I leave all my bulbs in the ground . The few Tulips I have in large containers I let die back for as long as I can . When I need to plant up the container for summer , I lift the bulbs and stems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Boscombe2015

What is this?

Bargain, although the offsets may take two/three years to flower.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Domscore

Transplanting carrots and beets

Always Plant From Seed Root VegetablesBeets Carrots Parsnips Radishes Rutabaga Salsify Turnips
    Always Plant From Seed Root VegetablesBeets Carrots Parsnips Radishes Rutabaga Salsify Turnips
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jack Sparrow

Bulb planting 101. Where to start.

@redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    @redstar :wow::wow::wow: Thats a BEEutiful purple carpet of blooms I just LOVE your garden :imphrt: :ThankYou: for sharing your AMAZing video footage :love30::love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Siennamiller

Ideas for a butler’s sink?

Good points, ok, I’ll get the bulbs as recommended on here :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Outlander
    Like x 18

My garden in its first year

Hello @tyrion:sign0016: to GC and ice to have you with us :thumbsup:....members are very helpful mate if you need any advice to add a discussion plus added pictures are a bonus :)
    Hello @tyrion:sign0016: to GC and ice to have you with us :thumbsup:....members are very helpful mate if you need any advice to add a discussion plus added pictures are a bonus :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Phoozzle

Neglected Garden + Novice Gardener

Yes Snoozle, using a garden fork to spike lawn surface. Its hard work but does make a difference. I still feel getting shed in is first job to do. Ha ha, when I compared your plot to my niece's...
    Yes Snoozle, using a garden fork to spike lawn surface. Its hard work but does make a difference. I still feel getting shed in is first job to do. Ha ha, when I compared your plot to my niece's she has just had a new puppy too :) The summer, being warmer and drier.....hopefully...will give you a...
    Yes Snoozle, using a garden fork to spike lawn surface. Its hard work but does make a difference. I still feel getting shed in is first job to do. Ha ha, when I compared your plot to my niece's she has just had a new puppy too :) The summer, being...
    Yes Snoozle, using a garden fork to spike lawn surface. Its hard work but does make a difference. I still feel getting shed in is first job to do. Ha ha, when I compared your plot to my niece's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. sandhun
    Like x 4

Creating borders for the first time

Cosmos is great for height, and lavateras give shrubbiness easily. If you can find suitable colours, go for them :)Personally I cheat in order to prolong the flowering period of hardy annuals. I...
    Cosmos is great for height, and lavateras give shrubbiness easily. If you can find suitable colours, go for them :)Personally I cheat in order to prolong the flowering period of hardy annuals. I sow a handful of those cardboard seedling pots in February, pot them on about now, and sow another...
    Cosmos is great for height, and lavateras give shrubbiness easily. If you can find suitable colours, go for them :)Personally I cheat in order to prolong the flowering period of hardy annuals. I sow a handful of those cardboard seedling pots in...
    Cosmos is great for height, and lavateras give shrubbiness easily. If you can find suitable colours, go for them :)Personally I cheat in order to prolong the flowering period of hardy annuals. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. rebecca harmston

New hawthorn whips died back?

Hi @rebecca harmston I totally agree with @NigelJ leave well alone as the weather is to much all over the show and i've lost good healthy plants already which have been replaced with grasses as...
    Hi @rebecca harmston I totally agree with @NigelJ leave well alone as the weather is to much all over the show and i've lost good healthy plants already which have been replaced with grasses as they're very hardy...best of luck though mate and :fingers crossed: crossed when the weather pic's up..they regenerate :)
    Hi @rebecca harmston I totally agree with @NigelJ leave well alone as the weather is to much all over the show and i've lost good healthy plants already which have been replaced with grasses as they're very hardy...best of luck though mate and :fingers crossed:...
    Hi @rebecca harmston I totally agree with @NigelJ leave well alone as the weather is to much all over the show and i've lost good healthy plants already which have been replaced with grasses as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. "M"
    Like x 3

Need help/advice/clarity please

The Begonia is the standard pot Begonia Elatior and could after repotting last for several months in flower. Hydrangea doesn't necessarily need ericaceous compost but will help to maintain the...
    The Begonia is the standard pot Begonia Elatior and could after repotting last for several months in flower. Hydrangea doesn't necessarily need ericaceous compost but will help to maintain the blue colour although Hydrangea colourant (Aluminium sulphate) is normally used.Kalanchoe need gritty...
    The Begonia is the standard pot Begonia Elatior and could after repotting last for several months in flower. Hydrangea doesn't necessarily need ericaceous compost but will help to maintain the blue colour although Hydrangea colourant (Aluminium...
    The Begonia is the standard pot Begonia Elatior and could after repotting last for several months in flower. Hydrangea doesn't necessarily need ericaceous compost but will help to maintain the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. lunagirl

Newbie in need of help!!

Thanks everyone...advice will be followed!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Greg C

Planting Impatiens / Busy Lizzies

Not Brookside nursery is it Greg? Phone them to delay delivery date. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. symbioss
    Like x 4

When should I expect to see signs of life in my new Clematis?

@martin-f mines lying dormant at the moment mate but I do know what I have have :hate-shocked:...as I kept the labels :roflol:
    @martin-f mines lying dormant at the moment mate but I do know what I have have :hate-shocked:...as I kept the labels :roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Siennamiller

Summer bulbs and Hebe.

My Alliums aren't showing yet. I've planted another 25 of the Superglobe mixed from J Parkers. Should look lovely by mid-May
    My Alliums aren't showing yet. I've planted another 25 of the Superglobe mixed from J Parkers. Should look lovely by mid-May
    1008611.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sally Parker

Rubella Japonica/Japonica Skimmia Question..

This is the first day that I put the plants outside and I brought them back in at around 5pm, I wouldn't just leave them out all night as well, straight away, without slowly aclimatising them...
    This is the first day that I put the plants outside and I brought them back in at around 5pm, I wouldn't just leave them out all night as well, straight away, without slowly aclimatising them first. But still, maybe they just didn't like being out there all day.:what:Yes it probably was a bit...
    This is the first day that I put the plants outside and I brought them back in at around 5pm, I wouldn't just leave them out all night as well, straight away, without slowly aclimatising them first. But still, maybe they just didn't like being...
    This is the first day that I put the plants outside and I brought them back in at around 5pm, I wouldn't just leave them out all night as well, straight away, without slowly aclimatising them...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice