NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Starkmelly

Climber for privacy

Hi @Starkmelly , what do you want to use the areas on both sides of the trellis for? If one side is a seating area, do you have any requirements for the other side? (I'm expressing myself badly, :redface:...
    Hi @Starkmelly , what do you want to use the areas on both sides of the trellis for? If one side is a seating area, do you have any requirements for the other side? (I'm expressing myself badly, :redface: but if for example the area behind is the kitchen door with laundry and whatnots to hide but...
    Hi @Starkmelly , what do you want to use the areas on both sides of the trellis for? If one side is a seating area, do you have any requirements for the other side? (I'm expressing myself badly, :redface: but if for example the area behind is the kitchen...
    Hi @Starkmelly , what do you want to use the areas on both sides of the trellis for? If one side is a seating area, do you have any requirements for the other side? (I'm expressing myself badly, :redface:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Peter Hurley

Truncated potted hydrangea worry re care/planting

While they are dormant like this, they need soil that is moist but do not let it get dry. I can usually water them about every two weeks inside my garage when potted. When to plant: once all...
    While they are dormant like this, they need soil that is moist but do not let it get dry. I can usually water them about every two weeks inside my garage when potted. When to plant: once all danger of frost has passed, you can plant it outside or grow it in a pot outside. You may be able to find...
    While they are dormant like this, they need soil that is moist but do not let it get dry. I can usually water them about every two weeks inside my garage when potted. When to plant: once all danger of frost has passed, you can plant it outside or...
    While they are dormant like this, they need soil that is moist but do not let it get dry. I can usually water them about every two weeks inside my garage when potted. When to plant: once all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Wilks

Complete beginner - First New build garden advice needed!

I'd avoid it too at that stage, infradig! I was thinking ahead, though, as IME once established, seeded lawns are much weedier than turf. Birds, cats, wind....they all contribute :) It's a good...
    I'd avoid it too at that stage, infradig! I was thinking ahead, though, as IME once established, seeded lawns are much weedier than turf. Birds, cats, wind....they all contribute :) It's a good suggestion hoeing off the first couple of batches before sowing, though :blue thumb:
    I'd avoid it too at that stage, infradig! I was thinking ahead, though, as IME once established, seeded lawns are much weedier than turf. Birds, cats, wind....they all contribute :) It's a good suggestion hoeing off the first couple of batches...
    I'd avoid it too at that stage, infradig! I was thinking ahead, though, as IME once established, seeded lawns are much weedier than turf. Birds, cats, wind....they all contribute :) It's a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ConfusedStrawberry

Advice about strawberries - can I plant these now ?

I always grow ours in hanging baskets, helps to avoid the dreaded Vine Weevil too :biggrin::dbgrtmb:.
    I always grow ours in hanging baskets, helps to avoid the dreaded Vine Weevil too :biggrin::dbgrtmb:.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hi2u_uk

Is my chamomile dead ?

I'd use seed compost and ensure you keep it watered, moist not soggy. Never let it dry out.Mixing in soil may introduce pathogens that may cause damping off. Also you might get weed seeds.
    I'd use seed compost and ensure you keep it watered, moist not soggy. Never let it dry out.Mixing in soil may introduce pathogens that may cause damping off. Also you might get weed seeds.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Weedstoo

Ivy for fence?

If you want a hassle-free ivy for your fence, (removed) is the one.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. MatthewK

Property immediately at end of garden, advice on improving view?

Deciduous trees look beautiful in winter just from their shapes. They change with the seasons, and you can grow Cyclamen under them in their leaf mould, and crocuses.
    Deciduous trees look beautiful in winter just from their shapes. They change with the seasons, and you can grow Cyclamen under them in their leaf mould, and crocuses.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Barders

Fuchsia frost damage - Fatal?

is she mentally sound enough for a visit. bet she'd love to talk about her prior home with you. As you said it is a local nursing home.
    is she mentally sound enough for a visit. bet she'd love to talk about her prior home with you. As you said it is a local nursing home.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Naomi85

Getting rid of ivy and shrubs in a border

Well it would be good to solve the enigma! I'd be able to sleep at night for a start :biggrin:
    Well it would be good to solve the enigma! I'd be able to sleep at night for a start :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Nutty

Moss to wild flower meadow

You may be interested in this: Wildflower Turf - Instant Meadows Guaranteed
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. hi2u_uk

Peach tree in container growing- what to plant it in ?

Its been in the pot since Summer time and already have leaves but i guess i can get a clear protective cover from rain but i dont want it to get leaf curl
    Its been in the pot since Summer time and already have leaves but i guess i can get a clear protective cover from rain but i dont want it to get leaf curl
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Happy Gardener 1

Tennis elbow solution

Doctors are generally reluctant to give steroid injections in most scenarios. They have a secret flow chart of things to try. It goes something like this:Rest and ibuprofen - in the sporting...
    Doctors are generally reluctant to give steroid injections in most scenarios. They have a secret flow chart of things to try. It goes something like this:Rest and ibuprofen - in the sporting world this is a shortcut to PRICE, which stands for Protect, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I guess...
    Doctors are generally reluctant to give steroid injections in most scenarios. They have a secret flow chart of things to try. It goes something like this:Rest and ibuprofen - in the sporting world this is a shortcut to PRICE, which stands for...
    Doctors are generally reluctant to give steroid injections in most scenarios. They have a secret flow chart of things to try. It goes something like this:Rest and ibuprofen - in the sporting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Tara Jane

Seed sowing for beginners

I know. We had removed Sweet Peas from the pyramid pot and I found a packet of seeds I had overlooked, so I stuck them in. You don't know until you try!
    I know. We had removed Sweet Peas from the pyramid pot and I found a packet of seeds I had overlooked, so I stuck them in. You don't know until you try!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Weedstoo

Foxglove plugs

Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've certainly noticed some plants having shorter flowering seasons, also a number have been later into...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've certainly noticed some plants having shorter...
    Plant flowering is complex, daylength and temperature are important factors; also plant size and how long since it last flowered especially in plants that only flower once a year. This year I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Weedstoo

Wild flowers for driveway?

Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some big pots at the front of the house hoping they...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and potted them up with some other bedding plants for some...
    Fleabane self seeds here very readily and loads of it is growing on the driveway outside the house. I saw some plants in the clearance section of the local garden centre a few years back and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Majic

Conifers removed, topsoil needed?

I won't need a path to the oil tank, that is at the front of the garden. The fence is facing North East, so catches sun throughout morning and early afternoon
    I won't need a path to the oil tank, that is at the front of the garden. The fence is facing North East, so catches sun throughout morning and early afternoon
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Retro_Popcorn

Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata

Looking good ... are you wanting a holly hedge ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Niall

Lawn help

Thanks all for the responses. I will be using evergreen autumn so I think it has 6% nitrogen. I will give it a go so fingers crossed!
    Thanks all for the responses. I will be using evergreen autumn so I think it has 6% nitrogen. I will give it a go so fingers crossed!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeteCrosby

Hello - help for a newbie?

Welcome. I have a couple of shrubs that have shed all their leaves already due to the summer we had.
    Welcome. I have a couple of shrubs that have shed all their leaves already due to the summer we had.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Klaus Ludwig

Treatment required?

My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other...
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other options
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other options
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice