1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Calibra101

Very alkaline soil.

Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden suffered dreadfully from it but I don't know if it affects privet or what the effects would be.I...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden suffered dreadfully from it but I don't know if it...
    Thanks very much for repliesDisease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Jacko1967

Rescuing a fig tree

Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to bear much fruit for several years, so go easy on it until it's well-established, where you decide to...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to bear much fruit for several years, so go easy on it...
    Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. DannyB

Suggestions for plants in another new border?

Excellent! Which ones have you chosen?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. mrsduffy82

Himalayan honeysuckle

Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here...
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here keeps it subdued!?! :scratch:
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here keeps it subdued!?! :scratch:
    Many people say it's somewhat a thug of a plant and can overtake gardens, but have yet to see this happen, even where its been establlished for many years.Maybe the heavy clay soil around here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Keith Thomas

Garden fence advice

I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I can see from the reading I've done.Cheers Keith
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think everything should be ok in wet ground as far as I...
    I've my hedge and all ordered. Hadn't heard of that idea of fedge. I ordered a mix of hornbeam, hawthorn, dogwood and rose hedging. I then ordered some trees a mix of willow and red oak. I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. 2nd_bassoon

Leggy seedlings - light issues

I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up lights without a sturdy base. I assume just...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed set-up, so I'll have to work out a way of setting up...
    I thought that was probably the case :(Interesting about the lights, will have to do some thinking on that one. There isn't room in the bedroom for a table, hence the plastic sheeting/bed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SimonK

Help with peach tree

Checking things further.. I would have to agree with pete :heehee: Definitly looks like Brown rot gummosis, gummosis(noun)disease of citrus trees caused by the fungus Phytophthora citrophthora Source
    Checking things further.. I would have to agree with pete :heehee: Definitly looks like Brown rot gummosis, gummosis(noun)disease of citrus trees caused by the fungus Phytophthora citrophthora Source
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "M"

Winter hanging plants.

:question: Thought something was up with them!! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. tangham

Help with shrub

You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard,...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard, taking off about a 1/3 off the branch lengths to minimise the amount of moisture the shrub will...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard, taking off about a 1/3 off the branch lengths to...
    You don't say where abouts you live. If you are in the south of Englnd where Spring will be arriving any minute now I'd do exactly what Pamdish recommends and I would prune the shrub quite hard,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DoubleMM

Pruning Bamboo

Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Thankyou all - very helpful advice. I'll ponder another week or so - but am sorely annoyed by the height of the clump at its' centre.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Florabritannica

Sweet pea question

Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Hi Florabritannica, Well they were looking a bit leggy so I thought I'd give them a hair cut:spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JDQuinn

Very amateur gardener!

Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Nigelcharge

Shady border

Sarcococca ..just googled x
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JPetch

Basic garden help! :)

Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Looking at that pic, and if you want usable lawn by summer then I'd weedkill the lot, take it over and get turf down in mid Spring
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Auntpol

Help please. Petunias and grow lights

I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    I think I'm still going to try and see how the collected seeds turn out but will also buy some seeds as a backup.Thanks to everyone who helped - very much appreciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dangermouse

Clearing ground so it doesnt revert

That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either planting well established pot/cell grown plants in the open ground, or covering that first flush of...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either planting well established pot/cell grown plants in...
    That's how I've always dealt with overgrown ground, although portions can be left uncovered for varying times (part or whole season) to let weed seeds germinate before hoeing them in and either...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. herbs&flowers

Lifting Bulbs for Forcing Indoors

Would never, ever want to do this. I would just buy some paperwhites from a store and plant them in a pot for inside blooming. I just toss them at the end and move on.
    Would never, ever want to do this. I would just buy some paperwhites from a store and plant them in a pot for inside blooming. I just toss them at the end and move on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Potluck

DIY Design and build

Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I can.Back when I did the last part of my lawn, I started to prepare it in Spring, allowed the...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I can.Back when I did the last part of my lawn, I...
    Using a cultivator is not difficult, and you should be able to get good advice from the hire place.As to the amount of organic matter to dig in, others on here can give far better advice than I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Steven_mc

Frozen lawn

:sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn ;)Hopefully you'll stick around and we'll be able to share your excitement and joys as you do more...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn ;)Hopefully you'll stick around and we'll be able...
    :sign0016: to GC @Steven_mc and congratulations on your new home and garden :thumbsup: Great start putting down turf!:heehee: She won't when the good weather is here and she can enjoy the garden and your beautiful lawn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

London Pride: when, and how, do I take a cutting/split a clump?

Will do. When I get a chance to see her :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice